Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Rockopolis posted:

I'm doing base building - if I want to use things like a vehicle mini-fridge and RV Kitchen unit, does it make sense to use the vehicle system to build an enclosed wheel-less "vehicle" to use a house and slap some solar panels on top?
Are there any drawbacks to that? Does it interact weirdly with NPCs?
People already gave good input but here's some more. If you have an already existing house that you want to use as a base, you can do electric stuff rather easily once you understand the vehicle construction system. A "vehicle" doesn't need an engine or wheels. It can just be a single frame with some crap welded to it. You either use the method of building frames through open spots into your house, or you use jumper/heavy cables to connect different "vehicles" through open windows/doors. Jumper cables only have a range of three tiles but heavy cables go much further. They're not easy to find though so I guess this can be considered as the luxury option

Here's my current base

And here is a bit more detail about the "vehicles"

The solar bank(1) is just a series of light frames with the solar panels that I scavenged from cars or rooftops. Then I added 3 swaps slots for storage batteries(you can use car batteries before you get into storage batteries) and put large storage batteries in them. It also has an electronic control panel to turn the charging station(stolen from a humvee) on/off. It's a huge overkill for my current power needs but it was my first construction of that type so I didn't know how much power I would need to supply at night. Then I connected a heavy cable to one frame of the bank, and just walked into the house and connected the other end to the fridge unit(2). You instal cables just like any other vehicle part and your character automatically spools them while walking towards the destination where you want the cable to end up. Once you're there you just instal the other end of the cable. It doesn't show on the map btw so I added it for clarity. The fridge unit is just made of two light frames with minifridges on them. Nothing more aside from the cable connected to it. It draws very little power from my huge solar bank and I can easily expand it if I feel the need to. The other vehicle in the house(3) is my chair+light combo. I built it before I made the solar bank so it runs on a storage battery(which lasts for months if all you need is light) but I could use a jumper cable to connect it to the fridges and also feed from the solar bank. It's built from a steel frame with a seat, a swap slot and a storage battery, a dashboard for the electric controls and aisle lights(needs a flashlight to make). When turned on it lights up the chair and two full squares of tiles around it so that I can easily cook/read/whatever once it becomes dark outside. I could set up a couple more frames with lights inside the house and connect them with cables but I really don't have a need for that.

My crafting/storage basement has the same seat+light "vehicle" as above and you can see the range of the light. Also the items in the distance show you how far the crafting system reaches when it looks for tools/parts. Though take into account that you need "line of sight" and dressers don't block that. You don't actually need to see the items so no need for more light but your LOS can't be blocked by furniture like bookcases or else the crafting system won't recognize the items behind them.

Building stuff in this game is honestly pretty neat once you understand the options and I'm sure people have way more optimized designs than me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just steal a fully charged storage battery from a car and install it on a shopping cart. 40,000 charge goes a long way.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah that's another fairly simple and effective way! I just like the building aspect so I went through the effort and looted all those parts. Can't help myself when it comes to sandbox games.

For instance I went into town to dismantle and loot a few sandbags because I wanted to build a neat looking practice target. It ended with me fixing up a flatbed truck and moving something like 300 sandbags back to my base just because I "may" want to build something else with them at some point
:sludgepal:

E: Oh hey I just discovered something neat about NPCs. Aside from telling them read to books, they also passively learn when you read a book while you're close to them. I also saw the log message that they "assist" during some crafting projects so I assume they might also get xp from that

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 7, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There are auto settings for corpses. They aren't bound to anything, but the game is a lot easier if you set them up. You can cycle between pulp, butcher, and if you do it just on the tile you stand or all adjacent ones.

Another key exists for foraging, and I really recomend using that too.

Npc's also are great for pulping hundreds of corpses.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Carcer posted:

Be careful with nomad gear, its hot as hell and I could not wait to switch over to survivor gear to stop my character overheating all the time.

There's light nomad gear too, which is about 30 warmth points lower. Also heavy and winter varieties for most of these outfits.

I haven't hit summer yet in what's turning out to be one of the best chars I've had, but I'm running round in a light nomad suit and light survivor cowl/mask/gloves/boots, and I'm staying at comfortable unless I'm cooking next to a fire for hours.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Light nomad gear would have been a good choice but A) I didn't see it in the giant crafting list and B) it doesn't protect as well with half armor and 15% less coverage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The broken record skips again: leather body armor or skip straight to a light survivor suit.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Carcer posted:

Light nomad gear would have been a good choice but A) I didn't see it in the giant crafting list and B) it doesn't protect as well with half armor and 15% less coverage.

Yeah, it's a trade-off. I'd rather have less armor than whatever % of speed you lose if you start overheating. Still looking for more kevlar myself so I can trade it out for survivor gear.

Agreed on the sheer size of the menus. This run is possibly the first time I've seriously started buggering about with mechanics, and the amount of plates you need to keep spinning to work on that... Currently cutting up some wrecks and fixing up a few decent vehicles I have so I can get my mechanics from 4 to 5, so I can install a welding rig into a solar SUV I'm going to use to cruise around in. Slowed down by constantly swapping batteries between my arc welder and my recharging station, which will become moot once I get the bloody welding rig in.

Still, it's kind of differently entertaining so far, fitted a couple of water tanks and a water filtration system to it, and then I need to cruise around the couple of towns I've cleared out, see if I can source a minifridge and/or a hotplate or kitchen unit, maybe upgrade the cargo space, and then I'm off into the yonder.

Griz
May 21, 2001

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The broken record skips again: leather body armor or skip straight to a light survivor suit.

chitin armor is also worth a look now that you can get tons of it easily by bashing roaches instead of having to fight an entire anthill or spider basement.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Again, there is no way that building a gun out of repurposed bits belongs in the same kind of game where you can beat up human-sized cockroaches and sew their chitin into a hella gross coat of plates.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Griz posted:

chitin armor is also worth a look now that you can get tons of it easily by bashing roaches instead of having to fight an entire anthill or spider basement.

By "Easily bashing roaches" please read "Get swarmed as a million of the fuckers explode up the basement stairs".

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Again, there is no way that building a gun out of repurposed bits belongs in the same kind of game where you can beat up human-sized cockroaches and sew their chitin into a hella gross coat of plates.

*gross chitinous lightbulb squirts weirdly bright fluid*

E: Above post about chitin armor is probably right. poo poo is light as hell and used to be unobtainable in early game.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 7, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

How do people get their characters to have a stable sleep schedule while you have some days of downtime? By now I had multiple instances where my character wasn't tired at 12pm or later because they spent the day doing things that didn't wear them out. Then when I want them to sleep they toss&turn for like four hours and then I might as well just stop trying because otherwise they sleep for the better part of the next day and the schedule gets hosed even more. I have a comfortable bed with pillow+blanket and no noises or disturbances btw. And drugs aren't an option due to the addictive trait.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Even with addictive personality it's safe to take drugs every now and then. Ambien is a sure-fire way to sleep whenever you want to, but otherwise just wait until you do get tired and set an alarm. Sleeping for four hours will cause you to get tired roughly eight hours earlier the next day.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Found a survivor who has both bad temper and mood swings :ohdear:

AND 3 STRENGTH. Jesus why do I find all this limp armed survivors?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tin Tim posted:

How do people get their characters to have a stable sleep schedule while you have some days of downtime? By now I had multiple instances where my character wasn't tired at 12pm or later because they spent the day doing things that didn't wear them out. Then when I want them to sleep they toss&turn for like four hours and then I might as well just stop trying because otherwise they sleep for the better part of the next day and the schedule gets hosed even more. I have a comfortable bed with pillow+blanket and no noises or disturbances btw. And drugs aren't an option due to the addictive trait.
I basically forget sleep schedules entirely and just go to bed whenever's convenient/whenever I happen to be tired. In game it's the same way too.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

I have a comfortable bed with pillow+blanket and no noises or disturbances btw.
You might have just been abbreviating, but in case you meant literally "pillow" and "blanket", the down-filled varieties are better at helping you sleep. Mechanically, the bed and bedding qualities essentially add bonus tiredness to your character.

I guess you could try sprinting around some during the day to add activity. I have no idea how much it would take, though. It's a very opaque game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Welp. Got got in a fight with a survivor, who ended up tossing some kind of bomb that blew up everyone, himself included.

At least I've got a better idea what I'm doing now. Going to start again, but give myself some extra skill points to save time.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think the general advice is to start with higher stats/traits, since you can't modify those outside of mutations or bionics.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Leal posted:

Found a survivor who has both bad temper and mood swings :ohdear:

AND 3 STRENGTH. Jesus why do I find all this limp armed survivors?

I don't think I've literally ever seen an NPC out in the wild who wasn't some sort of bandit

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I basically forget sleep schedules entirely and just go to bed whenever's convenient/whenever I happen to be tired. In game it's the same way too.
Can relate

Stathol posted:

You might have just been abbreviating, but in case you meant literally "pillow" and "blanket", the down-filled varieties are better at helping you sleep. Mechanically, the bed and bedding qualities essentially add bonus tiredness to your character.

It's a very opaque game.
Oh hey that's good to know! I stashed the down-filled variants thinking they were meant for winter so yeah I'll switch those in

And big true on that last part

Do people actually use ammo pouches/bandoliers/belts or is the reload time increase not worth the encumbrance?

Also several posters itt said that gun attachments are broken in the stable release. Could someone elaborate more as to how?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think the gist of it was that aim time is mostly down to the "size" of the gun, with the intent being that smaller guns are naturally quicker to aim. Currently, attachments make the gun bigger but don't meaningfully improve the aim time due to an error, so its either a wash or a net negative to aim time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As I understand it putting attachments on your gun increase the aiming time, even stuff that is supposed to reduce aiming time end up increasing it cause of the weight. So the only attachment that'll be worth it is a strap just so you can wear the gun since everything else increases aim time and suppressed weapons are still loud enough to attract hoards.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Well that sucks :(

I'm still gonna try a suppressed rifle just to know how it works out but drat I was looking forward to putting a few neat parts on my rifle of choice

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I know people will disagree with me, but the only gun I'd carry around is a small, possibly sawed off shotgun for when you're facing imminent death at the hands of something you can't escape or melee kite like a brute, mi-go or the dreaded angry moose.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Carcer posted:

I think the gist of it was that aim time is mostly down to the "size" of the gun, with the intent being that smaller guns are naturally quicker to aim. Currently, attachments make the gun bigger but don't meaningfully improve the aim time due to an error, so its either a wash or a net negative to aim time.

I'm pretty sure the official dev line on this is "unless someone can provide extensive documentary evidence to prove that gun modifications are actually beneficial IRL then they shouldn't do anything useful"

Carcer posted:

I know people will disagree with me, but the only gun I'd carry around is a small, possibly sawed off shotgun for when you're facing imminent death at the hands of something you can't escape or melee kite like a brute, mi-go or the dreaded angry moose.

I always carry the best 5.56 shooting rifle I can find plus a compact sawed off for emergencies. Since the loot rework there's no reason to not use all that ammo lying around, and the shotgun is easily stowable somewhere and will save your rear end one day.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Gun mods are absolutely worth using. Volume does affect aim speed but almost every mod is valuable in the right situation. The only mods that are supposed to improve aim speed are the laser sights, and they do (generally, depends on the gun and the wonky aim cap from volume). The other sights improve accuracy at a certain range, usually at the cost of aim speed. If you want to hit anything at 30+ range, you need a rifle scope. Folding stocks are overpowered, but the recoil stock can be good too. Suppressors won't prevent you from drawing attention to yourself, but they will prevent you from deafening yourself after one shot. The only mod I'd never install for any reason is the rifle strap, and maybe the ACOG which seems to be generally lovely. The others are all useful in the right situation, but some of them come with a significant trade off.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Carcer posted:

I think the gist of it was that aim time is mostly down to the "size" of the gun, with the intent being that smaller guns are naturally quicker to aim.
Pretty much.

Although granted I don't know anything about guns IRL...

My intuition is that this isn't quite an (urk) realistic model for aiming. Lighter weapons are probably faster for course aiming, but I'd wager it's easier to hold your aim steady with a heftier gun. That extra inertia should dampen the little micro-movements of your hands. The hold-to-aim mechanism could reflect that if they wanted to. I.e. pistols get an initial course aiming faster, but never really settle down to precise hits, while a rifle takes slightly longer to acquire it's course aim, but rapidly hones in on a fine aim after that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I find it amazing that I've got an experienced character, I got 4 in melee and bashing, I'm wearing far less clothing and encumbrance now that I got survivor gear (19) and I'm still flailing around like when I had 0 skills and had 30 encumbrance.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What are you swinging? Some weapons have attack modifiers. Also, what is your DEX?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Halligan bar (which owns) and 11 dex

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

What messages are you getting when you miss?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Torso encumbrance throwing me off balance.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That just means you would have hit if not for the penalties from encumberance. It'll keep happening until you skill up so much you stop missing at all.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Can you only climb up drainpipes? I can't seem to figure out how to get off this roof without just jumping.

EDIT: In proud internet tradition, I figured it out as soon as I asked.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Careful if you're playing experimental. There's a minimum 12.5% chance of falling and loving yourself up when climbing down a drainpipe.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Palcontent posted:

Careful if you're playing experimental. There's a minimum 12.5% chance of falling and loving yourself up when climbing down a drainpipe.

lol
You don't say.

Luckily I made a cheatermans to faff around with while I try to remember/relearn what the hell is going on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Palcontent posted:

Does this apply to Parkour experts?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Is it really 12.5%? Because I've climbed a lot of drainpipes on experimental and only fallen once. And that was when I was overburdened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does this apply to Parkour experts?

Yes, and also carrying 0 lbs. It basically means that you should never climb onto a roof unless you're going to die otherwise.