Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

There was the chance for a bit of fun by making the design flaw something else than what the rebels end up exploiting. Like, if an astronaut with a pickax lands in *that* exact spot he will be able to work his way straight down to the core without enemy forces able to get to him... it'll just take a while.

That kinda is what happened, though. The flaw had nothing to do with the exhaust port; it was that the core generator for the superlaser, the specific thing that the protagonist's dad was press-ganged into designing, was deliberately made to be unstable and blow the whole thing up if someone set off an explosion near it. Pretty smart, since even if the flaw was discovered, by then I imagine he'd expect to be already dead and they don't have the know-how to fix it. But I imagine he expected rebels would be able to take advantage by sabotaging the core or a suicide bombing, which ironically Obi-Wan would probably have had the best opportunity to do if he knew about it, the proton torpedo down the vent was something unforeseen by both him and the Empire.

The real funniest thing about Rogue One is how much of it was predicted by Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars (which was the very first thing Disney did with the license after buying it) complete with Darthenshmirtz basically taking Krennic's role. (And being an evil scientist who worked on the Death Star, of course he put a self-destruct system into it as he's basically physically incapable of not doing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I seem to recall some comic (SOMETHING and Woody) doing this premise but it's a pair of step brothers?

Quantum and Woody. Both the old series from the 90's and the recent reboot are pretty good.

I doubt that this movie is taking any kind of inspiration from a super obscure comic; it's one of those premises that anyone going "superheroes mixed with what" would hit on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

porfiria posted:

I kinda like how this finds a way to marry the obviously impractical AT-AT design with a satire of bureaucratic incompetence.

Come to think of it, if you're driving an AT-AT and a snowspeeder is coming at you with tow cables, why wouldn't you just stop walking?

The tow-cable thing wasn't exactly established combat doctrine, and was more something Luke came up with on the fly. AT-ATs were probably most deployed against more primitive conditions where the opposing force wasn't using a utilitarian vehicle with tow cables out in what's essentially an open field.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What does an airplane need a tow cable for though?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

married but discreet posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

married but discreet posted:

In a world where you have hover vehicles, I imagine it's quite useful to be able to tow things with an airplane.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's to wrap around a tree when you accidentally land in a swamp.

...too bad they didn't give em to X-wings.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

It's to wrap around a tree when you accidentally land in a swamp.

...too bad they didn't give em to X-wings.

X-wings aren't meant to operate in atmosphere, they're space fighters. The snow speeders are terrestrial vehicles that would be expected to tow things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I can't hitch my space trailer to my space plane for a space roadtrip then what's the goddamn point

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

If I can't hitch my space trailer to my space plane for a space roadtrip then what's the goddamn point

You get one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

The tow-cable thing wasn't exactly established combat doctrine, and was more something Luke came up with on the fly. AT-ATs were probably most deployed against more primitive conditions where the opposing force wasn't using a utilitarian vehicle with tow cables out in what's essentially an open field.

Yeah, iirc there's EU stuff that depicts AT-ATs being used in intended conditions; namely tricky terrain like swamps, coasts, and forests. The first AT in the name stands for All Terrain after all. Hence why you see the cargo versions in Rogue One, being used in what's basically Space Hawaii where they'd be going between land and water regularly.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's concept art for The Last Jedi showing AT-ATs walking up from beneath the sea to attack Luke's Jedi island.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chairman Capone posted:

There's concept art for The Last Jedi showing AT-ATs walking up from beneath the sea to attack Luke's Jedi island.

Love the idea of that visually but moreso it would have been amazing to have Williams do a little Jaws ba-dump in the score for that scene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Young Freud posted:

TBF, German Panzers were susceptible to incendiary weapons like Molotov cocktails and flamethrowers. A spritz of liquid fire to the ventilated engine compartment in the read of the tank would immobilize the tank and probably ignite a fire that kills the crew inside the tank, since the Panzers had really leaky engines.

While that is a smart exploit that doesn't seem like an especially cool feat, though. Like I don't have to pull off a wicked sick 1080° kickflip to pour some sugar in a car's gasoline tank.

Whereas this requires someone using the Force to exploit the "flaw":

Payndz posted:

There was a case in the Italian campaign where the Allies found a destroyed German tank that should have been able to withstand the shells their Shermans were firing. Turns out a lucky shot went straight down the barrel of its main gun and blew it up from the inside.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Rogue One and the rest of the post-OT movies are loving garbage, personally

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Please for the love of JESUS let's talk about ANYTHING other than more Star Wars, I know I'm guilty but I'll atone for it with this: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-movie-theaters-reopening-july-coronavirus-1234599723/

Warner Brothers deciding if Tenet will be the movie to re-open theaters in July, or if it will be pushed back. The biggest voice for keeping the current release date? Nolan himself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wanting to be the first film to open after quarantine is real dumb. At best you'll get a smattering of people who feel comfortable enough to pack into theaters and end up with an extremely disappointing box office. You want to be the, like, 5th film after quarantine.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The first film after quarantine should be a rerelease of Contagion.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
“Tenet” is a really really awkward word to say out loud, I keep wanting to say “tenant” which has much better mouthfeel. My heart goes out to the actors who probably had to say it over and over.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

“Tenet” is a really really awkward word to say out loud, I keep wanting to say “tenant” which has much better mouthfeel. My heart goes out to the actors who probably had to say it over and over.

I imagine it like one of those long drawn out conversations in animes to keep down animation costs

-You have to be careful with the tenet

Tenet?

-Yes, the tenet

What's a tenet?

-You don't know? Did they not tell you what tenet is?

Isn't a tenet a guiding principle?

-No that's a tenet, I am referring to The Tenet

So what's the difference between a tenet and The Tenet?

And so it goes for like 5 minutes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nolan loves his exposition dialog.

Meanwhile,

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's not too surprising. It was a hit as far as NF is concerned.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bright wasn't exactly excruciating but it definitely squandered the cool premise.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't it confirmed ages ago when they announced they were going forward with it without Max Landis?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bright 2, heh, more like not too bright!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lobok posted:

Bright 2, heh, more like not too bright!

2 Bright 2 Luminous

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pigbuster posted:

Saying tenet is fun it's very similar to lots of Ancient Egyptian words. Saying tenet a lot is like speaking Ancient Egyptian.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Love that Bright was by a white director obsessed with cholo gangs and makes all the cholo movies

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
2 Bright 2 Watch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAJ5QvD8BA
Kevin James as a neo-Nazi bad guy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Becky with the... bad herr?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paul Blart, Mall Nazi

Do all comedic actors need to have some really hosed-up role to show that they have some range?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Despite the bizarre casting that looks kinda cool. Looks cheesy too, but could be worth a watch.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Paul Blart Dumkopf

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is gonna end with Kevin James falling down and going boom but in a shower of gore

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

got any sevens posted:

Also a twist on that was Bridge of the River Kwai

That movie, to me has so little racism compared to today.

Yes, the japs, jappos, japawhatever are our brutal captors but they're also flawed human beings caught up in global war.

I don't mean this to sound like a recommendation of Hogan's Heroes (never saw)

Someone will probably prove me wrong about this but it's an amazing look into the mentality of being captured and tortured and the ending is better than any star wars

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Clowner posted:

I think Rogue One and the rest of the post-OT movies are loving garbage, personally

You would be correct.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

This is gonna end with Kevin James falling down in a public toilet while making GBS threads himself and becoming viral on the internet, ensuring that is what people associate with neonazis forever

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Paul Blart Dumkopf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

This is gonna end with Kevin James falling down and going boom but in a shower of gore

Downfall, you say?