Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

I independently started a rewatch roughly at the same time TVIV did. I forgot about how much better Britta being smart with good motives was compared to making a character "the worst" was.

i like when they manage to play both sides successfully, and sometimes they do, but for the most part they really lean into the failure aspects in a way that didn't feel consistent with the series' earlier depiction of her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i like when they manage to play both sides successfully, and sometimes they do, but for the most part they really lean into the failure aspects in a way that didn't feel consistent with the series' earlier depiction of her

Yeah, she was able to hold her own with a conman lawyer verbally in S1. No one has to be perfect, but she got homer'd in no time

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah she got homered pretty hard. My headcannon is that each chararacter is excentruated by an unreliable narrator. So although she is still smart and level, the zeigeist of the group got annoyed by her being so normal and labeled her the worst. Like how in rl cliques most people end up in their 'place'.
Saying that, such a cosy tv show. Thank you Dan Harmon for giving us something to rewatch after endless the office and new girl times.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah, no argument on a "cozy" tv show. i could roll the dice on any of the episodes popping up at random and odds are good it'll be super enjoyable

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Seeing this series for the first time, since it has just come to Netflix. I am really enjoying it, and sad I missed it the first time around.

Should I just keep myself to the episodes listed so we can talk about those, or is everything available?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s up to Arist, but imo given that this is a rewatch for most people, talking about later episodes in spoiler tags should be fine?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Community's not really a plot-focused show, it's fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The plot is seeing what gets awakened in the Dean, which is why they needed the full six seasons.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

The plot is seeing what gets awakened in the Dean, which is why they needed the full six seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTe2773N9U8

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Arist posted:

Community's not really a plot-focused show, it's fine.

Eh, there's some continuity in Season 1 with Professor Slater and Vaughn that could easily cause some confusion if watched out of the intended order.

Edit: Almost done with S1.
Feels weird that the Schmitty episode and Modern Warfare are back to back. But maybe it just amplifies their status as worst/best of the season.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 3, 2020

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, really didn't like the Schmitty episode. But Modern Warfare was fantastic.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The Dark Project posted:

Yeah, really didn't like the Schmitty episode. But Modern Warfare was fantastic.

It is an episode I purposefully skip now, not even the college antics of Troy and Abed can save it. It's really the escape goat of this show

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

mcbexx posted:

Eh, there's some continuity in Season 1 with Professor Slater and Vaughn that could easily cause some confusion if watched out of the intended order.

Edit: Almost done with S1.
Feels weird that the Schmitty episode and Modern Warfare are back to back. But maybe it just amplifies their status as worst/best of the season.

Schmitty episode has a great Troy-Abed plot and the scheme to bang the high schooler’s mom is awesome.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Saucy_Rodent posted:

Schmitty episode has a great Troy-Abed plot and the scheme to bang the high schooler’s mom is awesome.

I always laugh at Britta and Jeff's excitement when they realize he has to bang the mom.

Similarly Jeff's "I don't know!" in the conspiracy episode.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 3, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The ending of Season 2 episode 5 is wonderfully sweet, with Abed and Shirley holding hands and Jeff realizing he IS Pierce's dad after all :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We’re onto the third quarter of season 2 now, so here’s part 3 of the Harmon walkthrough.

This section has “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons”, which is my single favourite episode of the entire show. It’s so hilarious and emotional and just brilliant. Naturally, Harmon has a story about how the top brass hated it:

quote:

I was asked not to write the episode, they said “Because it won’t be an accessible topic.” I said, “I appreciate your concern, I’ll make it accessible.” This was the studio, not the network. We spent two days writing it, and we finished it, and we read it through, these two gentlemen and I at Andrew Guest’s house. His girlfriend made us Pop-Tarts and we had a little shot of cognac or something. We’d been up all night. We almost cried because we were like, “God, that was loving hard.” And it was so satisfying. “What a nice little story this is. Let’s get to that table-read.” And we did it. We threaded the needle. We made Dungeons & Dragons accessible. We went and table-read it, and it was a great table-read, people loved it. The director, Joe Russo, was like, “I can’t wait to shoot it. I don’t have any thoughts about how to improve it. I think it’s great.”

The studio and network response at the table-read was so removed from that. They were so upset about the crime of this episode having been written. The note session as a whole was preceded by a 45-minute period of them walking around the lot whispering to each other. They told me they would come up to my office and meet me privately. When they came up, I had the director and all of the writers in the office with me, because I was terrified. They sat down, and they said, “Look, where do we start?” I couldn’t believe this was happening. I was like, “This is opposite of how you should feel right now. This is a great episode. We’re going to get a 1.7 no matter what. We will build our ratings in other ways. The episode is not about credit cards; it’s not about Hilary Duff. It’s going to get the same numbers. There is a cultural build to a hit show. We have to prove to people that we’re capable of good things so they can trust us, so that we can have a relationship. One day we will either be a highly rated show or we’ll be cancelled. It will not have to do with this moment. This episode is good, the story is good, these characters are good. Anyone who doesn’t tune in because the commercial says they’re playing Dungeons & Dragons, it’s not my fault. It’s not on me.”

It was such a depressing note session, because they didn’t even have any notes on the story. They just didn’t want it to exist. I took a photograph of my eyes driving home that day at 3 p.m. because I was leaving work early. I looked in my rearview mirror, and I was crying. More than crying, I was red-eyes, tears streaming, weeping. And I was weeping out of self-pity and frustration, like a child weeps when he doesn’t understand his parents’ rules. “Why can’t I have ice cream when I ate my liver?” I took a photo of it, so I could show it to them between seasons, because as I told my girlfriend when I got home, “I think I’m going to have to quit my own show, because I can’t operate under these circumstances. I can’t be this proud of something that the people paying me to do it are this ashamed of. It will never work. We’ll never achieve anything. It’ll never connect.” So it was the best of times and the worst of times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving hell, I'd completely forgotten about Joshua the magical trampoline guardian being a Nazi. :xd:

"It's gonna be a maze!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

loving hell, I'd completely forgotten about Joshua the magical trampoline guardian being a Nazi. :xd:

"It's gonna be a maze!"

That slays me every time. "Some people are just natural jumpers."

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Just watched the Law and Order spoof ("Basic Lupine Urology").

Absolutely genius. Especially the ending.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

pierce cawing like a crow when he steals abid's food in Paradigms of Human Memory

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Season ranking:

3>2>1>5>6>4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

6 is so much better than 5, you guys are crazy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah tho

6 has nothing as good as MeowMeowBeenz, Floor is Lava, or Polygraphy and 5 has nothing as lovely as Recycled Cinema or RV Repair (although the finale comes close).

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

maybe i should finally watch seasons 5 and 6

e: i think i like season 3 just a little bit more than season 2. i think season 3 gets a little kookier than it needed to at times, but overall season 2 suffers a little bit from the shirley baby plot being boring. both insanely good seasons of tv, though

DOPE FIEND KILLA G fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 7, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
RV Repair is a great episode, it has a forth wall breaking plot (which I love because Abed is the best character and the true heart of the show), an appearance from Space Elder Britta, and a really hilarious runner at the end. "He's up there somewhere waiting for a better daddy with a bigger hand!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

e: i think i like season 3 just a little bit more than season 2. i think season 3 gets a little kookier than it needed to at times, but overall season 2 suffers a little bit from the shirley baby plot being boring. both insanely good seasons of tv, though

It really does feel like they didn't know what to do with Shirley sometimes when Yvette Brown was clearly game for anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Important double post:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1258514710174945280

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

I wondered why they picked a season five episode until I realized that's the only option to get all of the original cast and not bother with Chevy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's perfect for a table read because it's a great episode without Chevy that's confined entirely to one location excepting the tag and consists almost entirely of dialogue with very little action, and only has two non-regular characters with speaking roles.

The real problem is that I don't believe Jim Rash is in that episode at all, which sucks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arist posted:

It's perfect for a table read because it's a great episode without Chevy that's confined entirely to one location excepting the tag and consists almost entirely of dialogue with very little action, and only has two non-regular characters with speaking roles.

The real problem is that I don't believe Jim Rash is in that episode at all, which sucks.

Guess we got the new Walton Goggins!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

RV Repair is a great episode, it has a forth wall breaking plot (which I love because Abed is the best character and the true heart of the show), an appearance from Space Elder Britta, and a really hilarious runner at the end. "He's up there somewhere waiting for a better daddy with a bigger hand!"

Season 6 has some great moments. I like when Dean is texting "Jeff" in Basic Crisis Room Decorum. The most underrated part of season 6 is how insane some of the end jokes were.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The end joke of community sort of leads directly into rick and morty which is a trope i love, (when shows pass the torch with a nod)- except rick and morty brought us rick and morty fans who absolutely are a horrible racid puke toilet. My favourite character of community is britta.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

Lampsacus posted:

The end joke of community sort of leads directly into rick and morty which is a trope i love, (when shows pass the torch with a nod)- except rick and morty brought us rick and morty fans who absolutely are a horrible racid puke toilet. My favourite character of community is britta.

Eh, what percentage of R&M fans are the awful ones? A small, extremely online sect who’ve mostly shut up after being hounded.

Kind of like super toxic Bernie people; definitely a thing, but more visible than they deserve because of Extreme Onlineness.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

y'all must be past season one by now, right? lmk if you want the thread title changed!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I personally just finished the flashback episode to stuff we mostly never saw and ends with Annie's Boobs slapping Chang on the head as 'Gravity' plays.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

esperterra posted:

y'all must be past season one by now, right? lmk if you want the thread title changed!
Finished the show twice now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Table read on the 18th but they also did a special episode of Ken and Joel’s podcast with Harmon and the rest of the main cast minus Chevy:

https://youtu.be/R1WsyFFajz0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The episode where they take Troy out for his first legal drink is a good example of how the show can do a ton of completely standard sitcom cliches and yet somehow make it all work, right down to the character with the main plotline making the decision he doesn't need to drink alcohol to have a good time. I don't know if that's the strength of the writing or the performances or just that the characters earned it, but it really was quite fascinating see them do the kind of episode I might see out of a Carsey-Werner Production from the late 80s/early 90s.

Hell, even the bit with the gay dude trying to pick up Abed felt like something you might see in Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

The episode where they take Troy out for his first legal drink is a good example of how the show can do a ton of completely standard sitcom cliches and yet somehow make it all work, right down to the character with the main plotline making the decision he doesn't need to drink alcohol to have a good time. I don't know if that's the strength of the writing or the performances or just that the characters earned it, but it really was quite fascinating see them do the kind of episode I might see out of a Carsey-Werner Production from the late 80s/early 90s.

Hell, even the bit with the gay dude trying to pick up Abed felt like something you might see in Cheers.

When Paul F. Tompkins hits on you, you gotta take a hint.

Escobarbarian posted:

Table read on the 18th but they also did a special episode of Ken and Joel’s podcast with Harmon and the rest of the main cast minus Chevy:

https://youtu.be/R1WsyFFajz0

Holy poo poo they actually got all of them.