Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does this apply to Parkour experts?

Yep. You can't competence your way outta this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Looks like it's time for my Go Go Gadget Legs CBM idea to actually become a serious feature request.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Not before the mod that puts jumpjets on those recon walker suit things. Those things seem really impractical, does anyone even get any use out of them?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Palcontent posted:

Yes, and also carrying 0 lbs. It basically means that you should never climb onto a roof unless you're going to die otherwise.

ah yes, "realism" I'm sure.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm the physically inept nerd making the executive decision that NOBODY on earth could possibly climb down a drainpipe and not gently caress themselves up a little over one in ten times.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

I mean, few people can reliably climb or descend drainpipes, and on many building it would be impossible. The problem was that the stamina system was never adjusted for 1-second turns, and climbing onto roofs to catch your breath became the solution to getting winded after running a hundred yards. I would be fine with the change if falling down a downspout didn't shred your clothes, deal two bars of damage to every limb, and put you in excruciating pain. Also it applies to ladders the same way. IDK if tiles differentiates between ladders and stairs, but I've learned to examine every '<' inside a building to make sure it isn't a ladder.

On the other hand, not being able to escape to the roof hasn't actually gotten me killed once while city raiding. But it does feel like a deprivation. I'd like to be able to climb onto a roof to scout without risking grievous injury.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I didn't really use this strategy a ton but this basically makes the prison island start totally obsolete

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Every time I update experimental to the latest build it breaks the gently caress out of every single rig in my home. Is the only way to fix this to start over?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Motherfucker posted:

I'm the physically inept nerd making the executive decision that NOBODY on earth could possibly climb down a drainpipe and not gently caress themselves up a little over one in ten times.

The best thing is on the commit someone actually said "hey Parkour Expert should totally make this safer / easier" to which the response was "parkour only works on horizontal surfaces" which is... a take.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does it... does it still have the fall chance if your a spider-man man-spider? Or a cat mutant or something? I know no fall damage is the closest concession to flight they ever gave bird mutants.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Keeper.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Palcontent posted:

Also it applies to ladders the same way.

Hahaha incredible. So you just literally, outright can't safely navigate sewer entrances, silos, or mine works anymore? :lol:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've climbed up and down a dozens of silos on the build I downloaded about 2 weeks ago without falling. But then I did see in the log once that I slipped and fell down a story in the mall when I jumped a rail but took no damage?

So maybe it's been happening more then I think and the fall damage calculations are hosed up somehow.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hahaha incredible. So you just literally, outright can't safely navigate sewer entrances, silos, or mine works anymore? :lol:

Hmm maybe they're different kinds of ladder. I've also climbed dozens of silos without incident, but failed twice in a row to climb the ladder in the back of the bike shop and nearly died. I'll have to test some of the others.

There's a failure chance when climbing fences now, but afaik it can't hurt you and it's perfectly reasonable. Chain link fences are still incredibly powerful.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

How can you increase the opinion of NPCs you recruited if they don't have a quest for you?

The first NPC I got wanted me to find a flag and after that she completely trusts me and is also my BBF. But this new one has no quest for me to do. Also it was funny that the argument that got them to join with 100% was that they could protect me. Dude I have a 1000 kills to my name by now and I'm decked out with heavy armor and multiple strong weapons but sure you can totally protect me with your dinky revolver :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, how long does it take for the joy reduction for repeated eating to go away? I used to get +9 joy consuming a cold cranberry juice, then it went down to 3 for a few days and now its at +1.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Leal posted:

drat, how long does it take for the joy reduction for repeated eating to go away? I used to get +9 joy consuming a cold cranberry juice, then it went down to 3 for a few days and now its at +1.
I regret to inform you your character is, in fact, a fussy child and has decided they "just don't like cranberry juice anymore!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This game sucks

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
"Cranberry juice sucks anyway." I said as I chugged chilled yoohoo from my hydration pack and raised my pickaxe to begin my emancipation from the door to Rabbits house.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, guess I'm going back to stable. If you pick up a bottle of water, your character will put it in a bag. The bottle will not display in your inventory, but the water will. If you try to drop the water, your character will just spill it on the floor. Drop the bottle? Well, it's not in the list to drop stuff, because it's in the bag. Unload it from the bag, you say? Your character takes it out of the bag and then immediately puts it back into a bag, usually the same one you just took it out of. Ooh, here we go: drop every single bag you have, then unload the bag from the floor -- you have no storage, but you can just wield the bottle!

Error: tried to remove an item from a container that did not contain it. Bottle ceases to exist.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah I'm sticking with the last build prior to nested inventory for a month or so. It's insanely buggy right now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was wondering how they were going to handle containers in containers.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

10614 is the last build before nested containers in case anyone is wondering. The change doesn't appear in the update description in the launcher lol

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I feel like the most obvious and problem-free solution to a lot of these problems is to just use an advanced inventory style UI where every item you pick up has to be designated a place to put it, rather than being automatic. The problem is it'd be frustratingly tedious.
Plus I guess you could just mark the bags in priority number and it'd automatically attempt them in order.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
you should be punished for trying to get the item out of the little box in the bag in the bag in the bottom of the backpack that's strapped to you and also has your stuff all over it, just like you would be in real life

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I feel like the most obvious and problem-free solution to a lot of these problems is to just use an advanced inventory style UI where every item you pick up has to be designated a place to put it, rather than being automatic. The problem is it'd be frustratingly tedious.
Plus I guess you could just mark the bags in priority number and it'd automatically attempt them in order.

that's how this old mod worked, though it didn't change how non-backpacks worked.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I think there used to be a slow zombies mod, any easy way to replicate it?
If I just lower monster speed, then it makes NPCs and other monsters slow too.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Go to your mods folder, create a new folder there called slow_zombies, then create a file called modinfo.json and paste this into it:

code:
[
  {
    "type": "MOD_INFO",
    "ident": "Slow_Zombies",
    "name": "Slow Zombies",
    "description": "Halves zombie speed.",
    "category": "rebalance",
    "dependencies": [ "dda" ],
    "obsolete": false
  },
  {
    "type": "monster_adjustment",
    "species": "ZOMBIE",
    "stat": { "name": "speed", "modifier": 0.5 }
  }
]
Then enable the mod in world creation.

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 9, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I mean, maybe, but why not just... let me pick poo poo up and have it in my inventory. What problem is this whole container mechanic solving except "the game isn't annoying enough yet."

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Basically just being a workaround to the encumbrance system so that you can dump your big backpack full of scavenged stuff and actually fight effectively rather than eating a ton of penalties.

Removing the encumbrance system and/or just making it a limit on how many layers you can wear at once, of course, was never considered.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Being able to have a specific bag full of junk for a certain role is extremely cool and good and I'm fairly confident that the inventory / pockets rework is going to be great once they actually finished it.

Also you will be able to do poo poo like fill a bag full of explosives, light one, and throw it at a bunch of zombies

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

As it stands, can you even specify which container poo poo goes in right now? Can you prioritize containers or anything? I rolled back to 10614 a few days back, but when I was trying the new inventory stuff it seemed like the game had its own ideas on what to put where; it was keen on shoving anything that'd fit into my trouser pockets there for instance, and I couldn't figure out how to make it go 'no, put the stuff I'm picking up in the backpack I intend to drop when I'm fighting'.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

They claim they want the new system to be largely ignorable if you don't want to use it. Who knows if that will pan out, but the main thing it seems to offer for now is the ability to choose which items you drop when ditching a bag. In the future it should make it possible for different containers to be more or less accessible, so you could have, say, grenades, magazines, bandages and morphine in a chest rig and webbing belt for easy access. That kind of thing is fun in other games, but they typically have proper GUIs and mouse input. We'll see how it works out.

As for the encumbrance system, I think it's fine. The problem is armor. If they're actually going to remove the rest of the survivor gear it will have to be rebalanced. As it is, you either haven't got survivor gear and sustained combat is a gamble, or you do have it and you're immune to regular zombies. That's mostly to do with coverage since there's a lot of stuff you can reinforce to have ample protection.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Palcontent posted:

They claim they want the new system to be largely ignorable if you don't want to use it.
They've apparently been planning and working on it for years and you can't even drop water bottles.

quote:

That kind of thing is fun in other games,
Is it though?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I'm just hoping the final interface ends up being very useful, like the current autosort system, which is fantastic - rather than basic as hell, like the mutation/bionics menus, which considering they're a core part of the game, feel like a mod like Magiclysm. Hopefully they'll also feel kind of integrated into the way the inventory system works, unlike say the vehicle modding system, which feels like a whole separate game in itself.

I'm optimistic - it's already impressive they've managed to add it at all, I know it's taken a long-rear end time, and it's miles ahead of some of the interface cruft you see in Dwarf Fortress. But, y'know... Cataclysm.

E: And hopefully doesn't have dozens of branching submenus, like the NPC system. Frankly I leave NPCs to be devoured by zombies rather than mess around with that too much.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 9, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://twitter.com/silky_throat/status/1258892175879913474?s=21

A retired mobile base.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So hey some advice, if you're gonna use pits directly outside your house to burn stuff, make sure there isn't an awning above the pits.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Starting out, should I use any of the pre-included mods? I’m willing to use even the sillier ones if they make for better gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Haha, holy poo poo, what a lucky break.
Crash start, vatgrown bodyguard, hiking through the woods, nothing in sight in any direction because I'm a dumbass who sets city size to 16 and city spacing to 8, and find an entire squad of dead soldiers. There's a migo duking it out with a zombie soldier, so i sprint in, luck out and grab a half full M249, and just waste the both of them.
Now I need to figure out what to keep, what to leave behind, and what to cut up. I can wear two ESAPI vests, two MOLLE packs, and I've got like, two M249s to pick from, a couple assault rifles, two M17s, a Beretta and a ton of clothes.