Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Nutsngum posted:

This is a pretty garbage way of thinking mate. If you accept that then why ever bother with the football again? You literally just hosed off one entertainment industry whilst going on about signing up to another.
The key difference being that the shows on netflix are already produced and thus dont put anyone out if you watch them now.

quote:

As one of those pricks who is in an essential service and still gets paid shitasticly I say bring on the loving football.
So get angry at your employer, union, the ACTU, and the federal and state governments for not protecting or compensating you properly and for not giving you the reasonable option to say “gently caress off, not doing it”. The fact that other (worse) injustices exist isn’t a reason to create new ones.

Your right to yell at the tv on a friday night doesnt stack up against the right of a kid to see their dad or a partner to have their co-parent around.

quote:

If there is an actual feasible method to do this that isnt actually risky then I dont see an issue. Meanwhile, there are thousands and thousands of jobs out there where people dont see their families for months and months on end. If the individual players want to opt out, fine they can cut their pay further and sit it out.

Yeah, there definitely wont be any unreasonable pressure on players and families to agree to this dumb idea from
- teammates
- coaches and support staff
- the league
- broadcasters
- the media
- dickhead fans who think theyre owed footy

As well some players pressuring their family to go along with it.

It’s totally up to each and every player and their family to decide on their own terms :rolleyes:

gently caress you and your entitled bullshit telling players and their families to separate so you can watch them chase a ball around because you’re bored.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

For context, ive got a 7month old now.

Say work told me that to support the company I need to fly out of state for the next three months and stay there.

I’d consider it a bit, because I do actually feel the work I do is making a meaningful contribution. But I can pretty much guarantee I’d tell them no thanks, I’ll take a pay cut, use my leave, or ultimately look for a new job and make things work in the meantime. My wife would almost certainly feel the same way.

I’m in a privileged position that I can do that without us being out on the street, but I don’t think the fact that others don’t have that choice should force me to do it.

Unlike an AFL player, I wouldn’t feel pressured to go along with the plan because I won’t have hundreds of people in the industry and media, and millions of people at large calling me a soft entitled oval office for putting my family ahead of other peoples boredom.

It would be even worse with older kids, because they are already stressed the gently caress out about this situation. Taking a parent away on top of that for no good reason? gently caress that

Yes, there are other people whose livelihoods depend on the players playing. Thats not on the players though. Thats on those peoples employers for ensuring they can survive disruptions, and on all levels of government to provide a safety net if they do fall over. Asking the players to step in because employers and government have failed in their duties is hosed. I do think its reasonable to expect the players to take a pay cut (some of them will have pretty significant fixed costs like expensive mortgages but :shrug: I guess), but the hubs idea is bullshit

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 8, 2020

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Love to tell players they cant see their family or kids because god forbid there not be football for a while longer

THe only families that matter: Victorian families

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He’s obviously against hubs regardless of where they are

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

realbez posted:

He’s obviously against hubs regardless of where they are

Well I see that NOW

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’m just as against running a hub in Victoria but thanks for playing

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You guys are expecting a lot wanting me to read the whole thread before posting kneejerk replies

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You guys are expecting a lot wanting me to read the whole thread before posting kneejerk replies

I can totally respect this position

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think there's a balance to be struck but I'm not sure where the line is. When all the sports shows talk to the players they say they're keen to just play football but of course they'd be saying that - the media management seems to turn most players into rehearsed line spitting zombies anyway

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is it an opt-in system? Is it a "wait until restrictions are lifted" case? Or is it "gently caress this noise, see you in 2021"?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is it an opt-in system? Is it a "wait until restrictions are lifted" case? Or is it "gently caress this noise, see you in 2021"?

I can’t see a world in which an opt-in system is truly opt-in (for both players and families,The impact is if anything bigger on the family than the player) given the pressure that will be on players to participate.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
An opt-in system would also lead to unfair advantages for some teams over others, depending on age profiles of lists, where players live, etc.

The best thing to do is just wait until next year, but looks like the AFL will try to resume as soon as enough restrictions are lifted nationally.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They won’t wait until next year unless forced to. They will try to get a season in, but I don’t think they need to do hubs yet. Just wait a couple more months and see what happens with travel restrictions

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lol, reveal yourself poster

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/29139861/afl-biased-towards-victorian-clubs

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

gently caress you and your entitled bullshit telling players and their families to separate so you can watch them chase a ball around because you’re bored.

Go gently caress yourself you sanctimonious rear end. There are dozen of loving industries that go through much harder loving times and issues then footballers being asked to perhaps do 18 weeks if they loving want to.

Your entire life right now is based around raising a 7month which no doubt takes all your time. How about you think about the hundreds of thousands of people out there who have no family nor friends to see and are otherwise living in total isolation and slowly getting more and more depressed with their situation where just perhaps the football may be one glimmer of breaking this poo poo loving cycle.

So basically gently caress off you rear end in a top hat.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

perhaps the football may be one glimmer of breaking this poo poo loving cycle.

You're a loving saints supporter you delusional idiot

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I reckon someone's kid should go 5 months without seeing their dad when they're already stressed out because the whole world around them is changing, so that I, a well adjusted person, can watch fresh sports.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well... I do crave fresh sports

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

realbez posted:

Well... I do crave fresh blood

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

footy is bad actually

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Chairchucker posted:

footy is bad actually

:hmmyes:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chairchucker posted:

footy is bad actually

THANKYOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It'll probably be a severely truncated season - by the sounds of it we may get start getting games without crowds in around early July, although that's going to be one hell of a squeeze - possibly using conferences and a shortened finals series and some teams won't even meet this year.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought they were happy to play well past the usual end date if it came to that?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
They're kind of constrained to October because
- T20 World Cup (if that's still a goer)
- if they finish any later that starts pushing out the 2021 season as well.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’ve seen mentions of a December grand final, so I’m not sure they are too worried about other sports this year. I doubt any international competition is going ahead this year, either.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The crows have been cautioned by SA police for breaking SA’s quarantine rules, and have apologised to the AFL (sorry VFL)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

I’ve seen mentions of a December grand final, so I’m not sure they are too worried about other sports this year. I doubt any international competition is going ahead this year, either.

Lol at playing a GF in the hottest part of the year.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They make women play in summer

Franko
Apr 25, 2007
And the networks get the night GF they have wanted since forever

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They have no stadiums in December.

MCG & Docklands are both locked down by BBL. Kardinia Park also has some BBL.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The concept of a hub isn’t a bad idea per se to get footy happening again. However, you can’t enforce those kinds of workplace conditions on someone with a months notice, especially for a job where that has never happened for the profession. People in the army, FIFO workers, and international sports people know what they’re getting into and can arrange their lives, and their families lives to prepare and deal with the extended separation.

If the WA and SA clubs are going to be expected to make a long term “camp” in Melbourne, then the AFL need to be prepared to bring families and the necessary support to make sure the disruption can be minimised as much as possible for everyone involved, players/coaches/trainers/doctors/physios/etc. Melbourne is full of nice, empty, Airbnbs at the moment.

And getting sand in your jocks about it being a disadvantage for SA and WA teams, as a Freo supporter I don’t really care tbh. I’d just like to see some footy. And who knows, maybe being isolated together as a club in Melbourne might galvanise one of the 4 sides and produce an amazing story in a really weird season.

I think from memory, Gil has said he’s happy for AFL grand final to be played up to and including 31st of December.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Largepotato posted:

They have no stadiums in December.

MCG & Docklands are both locked down by BBL. Kardinia Park also has some BBL.

You could play matches at places like Arden St, they’ve got immaculate surfaces and don’t have any cricket on them. You don’t need a stadium if no one can attend.

Also, international cricket probably won’t happen, which will also massively effect the BBL as you will be missing a large number of players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/1258328797960523776

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Clearly it's Kane Cornes.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
How good are soft drinks?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

soft drinks are bad actually

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
yeah but so is everything

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:

NPR Journalizard posted:

Lol at playing a GF in the hottest part of the year.

A christmas day grand final, post lunch 2:30 bounce get around it Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

fatman posted:

A christmas day grand final, post lunch 2:30 bounce get around it Australia.

But won’t someone think of the families of the players? They didn’t sign up for this? And sure, players can opt out, but can they truly?