Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He also wrote the woman as trans because he felt that it was the only way to make violence against women funny, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

LordSaturn posted:

I'd only heard that all this started with an episode of IT Crowd around that scenario, i.e. Trans Panic. Dude gets into a slapstick altercation with a woman he'd been dating, due to learning of her (former?) penis. The pushback from that made him mad, and everything since has been him refusing to learn or grow at all.

Even at the time, that episode was very problematic and it aged like a wet turd behind a sofa.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CAROL posted:

Didn’t it turn out graham lineham was flirting w trans chicks in the reg
Well there was at least one where the receipts came out and he even admitted that The Episode might have been lazy writing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Why not question everything?
Why can you go to Walmart but not Kohl's? Why the Dollar store and not a mom and pop shop? Why can't you have an elective surgery, but you can have an abortion which is elective? Why should you stay inside but yet heat and sunlight kill the virus? Why can't kids (who are not at risk) play on an outdoor playground, where sun kills this virus? Why don't people know that these are "recommendations" not laws, a law goes through due process? Why is it okay for government officials to get a haircut, but not common citizens? Why the fear, when this virus has a less than 1% death rate? Why have coroners questioned death certificates listed as CV-19? Why are areas like Chicago and NY gearing up for mass va*cc*ination? What makes one person essential and another not? Doesn't shelter at home; mean there is a whole population of people, not staying home so we can? Why are they dividing us? How do people not know that we are a Republic, not a democracy? Where has the flu gone? Why are they telling us to mask up after 2 months of lockdown? Why is the CDC saying kids need to be masked when they return to school or attend church, when they know cloth masks restrict oxygen? What is this oppression and loss of liberty doing to the mental health of our kids...to us? Why have most other death rates dropped since the virus? Why did world leaders meet in China in October 2019? Why are the common people being controlled by the government and no one is controlling the government? Why are hospitals paid more for Covid 19 deaths? Why are some doctors speaking out and then getting silenced? Why did Obama give the Wuhan lab $334 million dollars? What does a computer geek have to do with a pandemic and why does he want 7 billion corona virus v*ccines? Why ID 2020, Agenda 21 and 2030? Why did the CDC have a job posting for pandemic relief workers in November 2019? Why did Dr. Fauci say in 2017 that the Trump administration would be faced with a " SUPRISE PANDEMIC " and then runs the pandemic team? Why are they infringing on Christians religious freedoms? Why can 500 people shop at Menards or Home Depot, but we are not allowed to go into our church buildings?
I don't care if you agree with me, or partially, or not at all.... if you're not asking these questions YOU SHOULD!!!
***Copy and paste if you agree.***

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

who's this grahm guy??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

T-man posted:

who's this grahm guy??

Oh come on this is just silly

Everyone knows no one invented Minecraft. It came from space.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
he looks like shrek hosed a sausage and I hate him

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Oh come on this is just silly

Everyone knows no one invented Minecraft. It came from space.

Just because notch is a Nazi doesn't mean you have to call him a gas giant.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wow

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:eyepop:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
So what DO we call him then? An ASSteroid?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Context: a guy fell off his bike and broke his arm in 5 places because an off leash dog bolted at him, green shared the news article and said "Just keep your drat dog on a leash, it's not that hard and where they were it's illegal to have off leash dogs". I'm blue. I'm also extremely irritated by the whole "You can't tell me what to do dad! I'm mildly inconvenienced and that makes me oppressed!" displays of selfish immaturity that Covid has really brought out in people, hence the "respect the rules of the community" and "responsible adult" quips.

Every interaction I've had with this woman is completely bonkers. I don't know how she ended up in the same degree as us, where graduates usually end up park wardens, wilderness guides, or teachers. People who generally comply with and enforce rules and laws, especially in provincial and national parks. I added her as a friend last year but promptly removed her after I was inundated with pro-Trump, pro-conspiracy, and anti-vax garbage. Like, she's Canadian and posted multiple Glorious Leader Daddy Trump posts every single day.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

An idiot on social media has been called out on their idiocy

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1258369769520214016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

That's a lot of lazily misspelled words saying "The rules don't apply to me"

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

T-man posted:

who's this grahm guy??

Everyone always leaves out her work as the lead singer of The Smiths

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I particularly enjoyed her work in The Usual Suspects.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I particularly enjoyed her work in The Usual Suspects.

Must have been tough directing and starring in it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lol I never realized that one was Singer

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAROL posted:

We call them Gammon.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

CAROL posted:

I'm not sure who this is referencing (Lineham?) but I laughed so thanks :)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

An idiot on social media has been called out on their idiocy

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1258369769520214016

yeah, i always get my passwords rejected on the first try also

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure they knew it wouldn’t be allowed, and posted it because they’re both massive attention seekers who can’t go 5 minutes without someone talking about them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Here’s Graham again

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/status/1258408880796811271?s=20

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

As someone who is part of the Boycott, Divest, Sanctions, and Masochism community, I find this disappointing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Uh these are students of presumably college age that presumably opted in to the course and--again presumably--opted into the conversations about being queer.

When the *gently caress* are people allowed to vouch for themselves? Ah gently caress it I know already; when they're Graham.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Brawnfire posted:

Uh these are students of presumably college age that presumably opted in to the course and--again presumably--opted into the conversations about being queer.

When the *gently caress* are people allowed to vouch for themselves? Ah gently caress it I know already; when they're Graham.
When they're straight, white, and cis, and preferably from the UK and male, I'm sure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You forgot educated at private institutions and are "of the right sort."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmfao literally demanding a cookie for having pretended to be feminist in the past

Wait, you can do that!?

I'll have a chocolate chip please.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Relatively tame IOSM. I just thought the replies are funny.
https://twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1258073330684477440?s=19

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

Relatively tame IOSM. I just thought the replies are funny.

https://mobile.twitter.com/limitlessjest/status/1258454026330521602

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/status/1258565947813777410

Yeah there's no reason a teacher would ever hide anything from a parent. No parent is ever abusive!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TinTower posted:

He also wrote the woman as trans because he felt that it was the only way to make violence against women funny, incidentally.

Ah, so he took a page out of Capcom's book for Posion. :v:

I'm the IOSM because I wish people would also say evidence or proof instead of receipts all the time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best way to guarantee results is to groom a couple dozen 18-24y.o. simultaneously in a lecture hall

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PetraCore posted:

When they're straight, white, and cis, and preferably from the UK and male, I'm sure.

Don’t dare misnationalise Graham as being from the UK.

Actually feel free to, he probably hates it and won’t see the irony.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

As one of like three goons who actively studied queer studies, Limeham is obviously full of poo poo. Queer theory tends to be very focused on abstract, complex ideas meant to capture the mechanisms, history, and cultures behind queer sexuality. In pragmatic terms, this translates to a lot of discussion heavy classes, where you spend the night (or hour) before reading a few dozen pages on queer masculinity in Thailand or whatever, followed by a solid hour+. Even in lower level, intro courses with 100+ students (my school had a diversity credit which I think accounted for ~60 of those in the class, most of whom get their rear end kicked in what was supposed to be easy A :V) there's going to be like 50% discussion. As much as possible professors would make sure to keep things safe, and there were always really strict expectations on not taking things out of the class. Students would indeed frequently talk about things they'd never say to their parents, and I have to say the discussions in those rooms would always be critical for students to understand; trying to not have it be a closed space would be like teaching chemistry without a vent hood or PPE.

If I had to do that with my parents in the room I wouldn't have even bothered. The program itself was probably 80%+ queer/trans and I literally never had a problem transitioning or changing my name while there.

(If you get a chance I'd suggest anyone take the course, but do be aware 90 pages tying the history of underseas cable routes to the Atlantic slave trade and how it informs modern concepts of the colonized global south online is just as much a pain as any STEM poo poo. Nobody's invented a gender graphing calculator :P)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

He has to be some kind of guilt-ridden sex pest or has a fetish he's so ashamed of he has to be as loudly anti-whatever he is to try and convince people he's totally not guilty. There's no way someone is this obsessed without some kind of skeleton in his closet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/RealRockatansky/status/1258489040996757506

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

T-man posted:

As one of like three goons who actively studied queer studies, Limeham is obviously full of poo poo. Queer theory tends to be very focused on abstract, complex ideas meant to capture the mechanisms, history, and cultures behind queer sexuality. In pragmatic terms, this translates to a lot of discussion heavy classes, where you spend the night (or hour) before reading a few dozen pages on queer masculinity in Thailand or whatever, followed by a solid hour+. Even in lower level, intro courses with 100+ students (my school had a diversity credit which I think accounted for ~60 of those in the class, most of whom get their rear end kicked in what was supposed to be easy A :V) there's going to be like 50% discussion. As much as possible professors would make sure to keep things safe, and there were always really strict expectations on not taking things out of the class. Students would indeed frequently talk about things they'd never say to their parents, and I have to say the discussions in those rooms would always be critical for students to understand; trying to not have it be a closed space would be like teaching chemistry without a vent hood or PPE.

If I had to do that with my parents in the room I wouldn't have even bothered. The program itself was probably 80%+ queer/trans and I literally never had a problem transitioning or changing my name while there.

(If you get a chance I'd suggest anyone take the course, but do be aware 90 pages tying the history of underseas cable routes to the Atlantic slave trade and how it informs modern concepts of the colonized global south online is just as much a pain as any STEM poo poo. Nobody's invented a gender graphing calculator :P)

Do they really call it "queer" studies? That's like saying "friend of the family" or "tranny" studies, why would any academic institution reclaim a slur like that?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Urgh, I will be happy if I never see that pandemic video again. For the context, my crazy friend posted a video which then had a very long conversation and several other videos posted. I actually watched them and explained why they were terrible, which led to the following discussion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MageMage posted:

Do they really call it "queer" studies? Why would any academic institution reclaim a slur like that?

Very quick rundown on this one as I understand it, as someone super involved with queer activism and politics rather than academics:

A: It has been more or less successfully reclaimed. These days the complaints about using the term are less 'it's offensive' and more 'I don't personally associate with the modern political connotations of the word'. Since queer studies/politics inherently have the same political charge that the term 'queer' has in the modern day, it's not too bad in these contexts, but talking about an individual who might just be trying to live their life and happens to be gay, you might not use it there.

B: There's not actually a better term for the general umbrella. You'll see a bunch of different permutations of the acronym depending on who you're talking to, and both who they consider to be part of the community or what they're specifically referring to; personally people I associate with generally use 'LGBTIQ+', because I'm involved in politics so there's a lot of interlocking issues to talk about, but also sometimes an 'A' jumps in there for any number of reasons. So when you're talking about the whole sphere, and again, specifically in the political environments that you'd refer to as 'queer', there's basically no bettter option than just going with 'queer'.

That might, and probably will, change over time! But that's what it is now.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:10 on May 8, 2020