Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I can't think of a better demonstration of a conspiracy theorist's need to assert control by having special knowledge about the world.

"Literally anything is possible, as long as it's not the official story."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Well I see that that Red text was fairly earned.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Y'all mage mage does not post in good faith you don't need to explain poo poo to someone who's sealioning as an excuse to drop slurs.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love that Linehan has become so known for being a hateful piece of poo poo that when I saw this tweet I immediately knew who he was talking about.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1256279163247493123?s=19

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

T-man posted:

I literally never had a problem transitioning or changing my name while there.

I'm pretty sure this part would account for a large part of Glinner's disapproval.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does the cspam rule just mean cspam-style posting or does it mean don't post anything political?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MageMage posted:

Snipped out the entirely not needed racist and transphobic slurs

Man you really wanted an excuse to post those words didnt you?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MageMage posted:

Do they really call it "queer" studies? That's like saying "slur" or "other slur" studies, why would any academic institution reclaim a slur like that?

Knock it off with the bad-faith posting about gender issues, complete with I GET TO SAY SLURS NOW bullshit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neopie posted:

Y'all mage mage does not post in good faith you don't need to explain poo poo to someone who's sealioning as an excuse to drop slurs.

Yeah, I know they're a bad faith poster, but honestly this is something that came up in real life circles like, this week, so I thought it worth saying to clear up the 'hey wait, actually' response.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MageMage posted:

Do they really call it "queer" studies? That's like saying "friend of the family" or "tranny" studies, why would any academic institution reclaim a slur like that?

Assuming this question is in good faith, I have included a link to a paper, "Queer Studies in the House of Anthropology" that talks about this issue. The focus is more or less on anthropological studies and the use of the term, but it seems to have fitting arguments for uses outside that sphere.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228173364_Queer_Studies_in_the_House_of_Anthropology/link/0912f50f821134c964000000/download

I read a very interesting paper by Marlon B. Ross, “Some Glances at the Black Fag” and found the word choice in the title to certainly be uncomfortable, but powerful and was well reflected in the piece. I unfortunately do not have a pdf copy of that to share, or I would.

*edit* Here is a link to a an archive of a work that includes the paper by Ross: https://archive.org/stream/revhosatx82/%5BRhoda_Barnes%2C_Patrick_Bellegarde-Smith%2C_Elsa_Bark%28zlibraryexau2g3p.onion%29_djvu.txt

IncredibleIgloo has a new favorite as of 10:03 on May 8, 2020

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Assuming this question is in good faith,
that person is a known liar and troll, consider why he wrote out the words

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The IoSM is all of us who don’t have MageMage on ignore.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sugar mouse posted:

Urgh, I will be happy if I never see that pandemic video again. For the context, my crazy friend posted a video which then had a very long conversation and several other videos posted. I actually watched them and explained why they were terrible, which led to the following discussion...

That's not what project mocking bird was. I mean it was real (and probably some equivalent still exists) and the info was declassified in the 2000s, but it was the cia infiltrating liberal journalism outlets to push anti-soviet and anti-leftist propaganda.

It's like when people freak out about mkultra and cia mind control experiments. Real and terrible, but it mostly just amounted to getting people high on lsd without their consent. Did it create the unabomber? Maybe in the sense that it cemented a paranoid distrust of government in him, but not in the way that he was programmed to blow people up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that person is a known liar and troll, consider why he wrote out the words

She.

Also don't engage with MageMage.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess LGBTQ’s need a “QAACP”

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1258695538154881024?s=20

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

sugar mouse posted:

Urgh, I will be happy if I never see that pandemic video again. For the context, my crazy friend posted a video which then had a very long conversation and several other videos posted. I actually watched them and explained why they were terrible, which led to the following discussion...

This is loving amazing. The CIA coined the term 'conspiracy theory'? The heart is a brain?

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

The CIA coined the term 'conspiracy theory'?

All time new favorite conspiracy theory right here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm partial to "yes we believe all these mutually incompatible theories at once! Because we can!"

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

nexus6 posted:

This is loving amazing. The CIA coined the term 'conspiracy theory'? The heart is a brain?

My heart has a brain (that's controlled by my dick)

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

nexus6 posted:

This is loving amazing. The CIA coined the term 'conspiracy theory'?

It's on a similar level to "Alex Jones is a plant to make us look bad" and it's been around for a while.

But the idea of the CIA propagandizing is at least realistic since they, you know, did that and it's good odds they still do.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

He has to be some kind of guilt-ridden sex pest or has a fetish he's so ashamed of he has to be as loudly anti-whatever he is to try and convince people he's totally not guilty. There's no way someone is this obsessed without some kind of skeleton in his closet.

personally i think it's simpler than that - he's addicted to social media, cannot, absolutely cannot Log Off, and is trapped in a cycle of trying to fight literally everyone all the time about how he's not owned. sort of that brainy white male entitlement resulting in a stubborn refusal to shut the gently caress up, coupled with his mind-meld level attachment to a media platform in which he's getting yelled at all of the time because of the stupid poo poo he can't stop saying

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neopie posted:

Scuse me sorry just accidentally not empty quoting this by just quoting it and adding text here. Yep, a totally normal post that's also saying "Why are you engaging with magemage just put them on ignore."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
University professors cannot be “grooming” students, since almost all of them are 18 years old or older.

I don’t know on what planet Linehan lives where university students talk about the details of their coursework with their parents.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KinskyUnplugged/status/1258511784299819014?s=19

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The gently caress? I mean, Costco is a better employer than most national megacorps, but that doesn’t translate into “personal affection” for me.

I do have personal affection for some local small businesses, especially solo joints like my former shoe repaired and my auto mechanic, but that’s more affection for the people and what they contribute to the neighborhood (the independent convenience stores by me are being amazing right now in sourcing hard-to-get things like gloves and sanitizer and toilet paper).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AlbieQuirky posted:

University professors cannot be “grooming” students, since almost all of them are 18 years old or older.

I don’t know on what planet Linehan lives where university students talk about the details of their coursework with their parents.

I think you'll find children are now children until their parents die or disown them, and cannot be allowed individual rights outside their stifling parentage. The idea of thinking autonomous adults was for the past, anyone born since these old crusty motherfuckers could form cogent thoughts will never count as a rational developed human in their eyes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Steve Buscemi wearing an ushanka and a Che shirt: "How do you do, fellow leftists?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edit: "The Safe Schools Coalition Australia (SSCA) was a national network of organisations working with school communities to create safer and more inclusive environments for same sex attracted, intersex and gender diverse students, staff and families."

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 8, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Are they talking about this SafeSchools? If so, it's definitely not marxist but I could believe pedo poo poo is involved.

quote:

School safety is more complex today than ever before.  That’s why thousands of schools and districts use our market-leading programs to better manage compliance and prevent serious safety incidents across their campuses.  Our subscription-based programs are proven to help busy administrators save time and money, but most importantly, they can help make your school even safer for students, staff, and parents.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

what is that hand doing there in his photo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/badhistorytakes/status/1258780011210911750

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MizPiz posted:

Are they talking about this SafeSchools? If so, it's definitely not marxist but I could believe pedo poo poo is involved.

No, this one.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

personally i think it's simpler than that - he's addicted to social media, cannot, absolutely cannot Log Off, and is trapped in a cycle of trying to fight literally everyone all the time about how he's not owned. sort of that brainy white male entitlement resulting in a stubborn refusal to shut the gently caress up, coupled with his mind-meld level attachment to a media platform in which he's getting yelled at all of the time because of the stupid poo poo he can't stop saying

I think he's got an actual problem, like a monomania, at this point. Like, having a poo poo opinion doesnt make you mentally ill, or vice versa, but i think getting so obsessive over a poo poo opinion that you blow up your whole entire life and sacrifice your health, nonstop, for years has got to be a sign of a brain problem.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gotcha

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think he's got an actual problem, like a monomania, at this point. Like, having a poo poo opinion doesnt make you mentally ill, or vice versa, but i think getting so obsessive over a poo poo opinion that you blow up your whole entire life and sacrifice your health, nonstop, for years has got to be a sign of a brain problem.
Even the terfs think he's mentally ill over this, which is... impressive.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I know they're a bad faith poster, but honestly this is something that came up in real life circles like, this week, so I thought it worth saying to clear up the 'hey wait, actually' response.

Whether the question was in bad faith or not, I really appreciate your response. I've never been comfortable with labelling anything as 'queer' - for me it still smacks of bullying & homophobia/being a synonym for strange/unusual. It's clear that I'm in the minority with this so it's valuable to hear your explanation. Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Brawnfire posted:

I think you'll find children are now children until their parents die or disown them, and cannot be allowed individual rights outside their stifling parentage. The idea of thinking autonomous adults was for the past, anyone born since these old crusty motherfuckers could form cogent thoughts will never count as a rational developed human in their eyes.

Remember when either Don Jr. or Eric Trump (can't remember which) received a lot of criticism for doing something and the right wing media machine started pushing the "Leave him alone he's just a kid!" narrative?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Chris Pistols posted:

Whether the question was in bad faith or not, I really appreciate your response. I've never been comfortable with labelling anything as 'queer' - for me it still smacks of bullying & homophobia/being a synonym for strange/unusual. It's clear that I'm in the minority with this so it's valuable to hear your explanation. Thanks!

:h:

You love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Personally I really like "queer" as a self descriptor because of the implication of just weirdness, which I cannot deny in any area of my life, and also sometimes the hyper-categorization of sexualities and gender identities actually unsettles me because having to categorize myself according to other people's definitions feels weird. My sexuality? Queer. My gender? Queer.

On the other hand, my mom's wife has a very visceral reaction to the word because she associates it with homophobia. So I don't use it in conversations with her. It's. Complicated.