Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Xelkelvos posted:

Becomes? He clearly is Huey's BFF. The big question is if Boyd's gonna start calling Gyro Dad or something.

I assume Doofus Drake's parents are still Boyd's guardians?

Also, did we get a name for the Junior Woodchuck Beagle Boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Bully Beagle, according to the credits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels a bit contrived that Boyd looked like Mark Beaks' kid entirely by coincidence, but oh well. It does make sense that Beaks didn't actually build him, considering how massively overpowered he is for something Beaks only used as a ruse, and it goes along with Beaks' thing that he prefers to steal and co-opt technology for his own use rather than making his own.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anyone else get Rusty Venture vibes from Gyro? Especially in the voice.

Gyro's currently being voiced by Jim Rash who's also the voice of the Riddler in the Harley Quinn series. You might also remember him as Dean Pelton from Community.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

Gyro's currently being voiced by Jim Rash who's also the voice of the Riddler in the Harley Quinn series. You might also remember him as Dean Pelton from Community.
Marquess of Queensbury, Mike Tyson Mysteries

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jim Rash should get as much voice acting work as possible because I just love listening to the dude.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I will always love Jim Rash for the elaborate costumes on Community. That montage is one of my top 5 all-time moments of TV

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Little Bulb distracting the detective by spray-painting in binary was a good joke. I also like Huey mentioning that ninjas went extinct, since I'm pretty sure one of Launchpad's offscreen adventures or exes involved a ninja.

Xelkelvos posted:

A really good episode all around. The Glom energy drink was a good sightgag too. I expect to see Professor Akita again though since he seems like a probable fit for FOWL (as long as he's kept on some sort of leash). Also, part of me expected him to the the chopsticks thing with the potato chips, but that might've been too much animating effort.

Were the Glomgold billboards just a sightgag, or is Glomgold a massively popular character in Japan?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

Marquess of Queensbury, Mike Tyson Mysteries

Oh poo poo, now I know where I know him from. I think it doesn't help Mike Tyson Mysteries could practically be in canon with Venture Bros.

amigolupus posted:

Were the Glomgold billboards just a sightgag, or is Glomgold a massively popular character in Japan?

I imagine it's part of the trend of Glomgold having a huge empire of obnoxious branding, and the old joke of American celebrities appearing in weird Japanese ads.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Little Bulb distracting the detective by spray-painting in binary was a good joke. I also like Huey mentioning that ninjas went extinct, since I'm pretty sure one of Launchpad's offscreen adventures or exes involved a ninja.

I was hoping it actually spelled something, though according to a binary to ASCII translator all he manged go get out was "Ò", before getting run off by Tezuka.

Because I remember ReBoot would do stuff like that, hide jokes in binary code, like having Phong's admin password for Mainframe be a string of binary that spelled out "yada yada yada" in ASCII.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

drrockso20 posted:

Well that or one of his sharks becomes sapient
Breaking News: Disney acquires rights to Jabberjaw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That Gyro was mentored by an evil scientist and his first creation went on an out of control rampage explains a lot about his character in hindsight. He's so sick and frustrated of his inventions going on rampages because he's still never lived down 2-BO, which likely also made him unemployable until Scrooge was the only one willing to look past his reputation. His treatment of Fenton is probably in part because Fenton reminds him annoyingly of his younger self's naivety and enthusiasm (who seemed a lot more like the naive and bumbling Gyro of the original cartoon). And Akita probably taught him in the true mad scientist fashion how to build inventions far more powerful than he can hope to control, and it's the only way he knows how to do things.

There's a ton of anime references in the episode, besides the obvious ones. Apparently the DuckTales version of Sailor Moon is literally a rabbit.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Just lmao that he hasn't figured out his inventions turn evil because people are dicks to them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Tupperwarez posted:

I am not fully awake yet and these were the first words I read today so I didn't get the joke at first so drat you for getting me excited

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Tupperwarez posted:

Should have gotten Street Sharks instead.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tubgoat posted:

Just lmao that he hasn't figured out his inventions turn evil because people are dicks to them.

Turns out the evilest machine of all is MAN!

...or I guess ducks, whatever.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Should have gotten Street Sharks instead.

:emptyquote:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Turns out the evilest machine of all is MAN!

...or I guess ducks, whatever.

They refer to each other and themselves as "human beings" and "humanity" in dialog. It's weird but handled better than My Little Pony.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

They refer to each other and themselves as "human beings" and "humanity" in dialog. It's weird but handled better than My Little Pony.

My Little Pony is actually consistent, the ponies are just racist.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Counterpoint: even as I enjoyed the show, it was painful to keep hearing "somepony," "everypony," "nopony," etc.

"One" and "body" do not stop being accurate when your sapient species is evolved from horses instead of apes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently later on the characters actually start trying to use 'everybody' instead when referring to more diverse groups. Also the magical friendship school almost gets shut down by Pony Snape for trying to be integrated.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also the magical friendship school almost gets shut down by Pony Snape for trying to be integrated.
Oh yeah, huh. :v:
gg, Maurice Lamarche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also one of the last villains is an ordinary adorable tiny child pony who happens to be a manipulative sociopath with designs on world domination.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New preview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DglXM6nv2xs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"I watch a lot of wrestling while I fly"
"Wait, 'while?'"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This show will be the death of me.

Huey: "Is Scrooge the baddy?"
Kid, how could you think that Scrooge could be anything but an heel?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omobono posted:

It's an amazing long con, getting you to like a wizened land-owning wealth-hording member of the 1%, and then suddenly revealing that he's probably not a good role model after all :ssh:

Eat the rich. They're all ducks in this universe so they'll taste delicious :yum:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dear DuckTales, give me the wrestling ep I know you have in you, and I'll never sin again.

Scrooge McDuck is....THE RAINMAKER

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Deathlove posted:

Dear DuckTales, give me the wrestling ep I know you have in you, and I'll never sin again.

Scrooge McDuck is....THE RAINMAKER

Nah Scrooge needs to fill either the Ted Turner or Vince McMahon role in an episode parodying the whole Monday Night Wars period of pro wrestling

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omobono posted:

And now I need a crossover with Steven Universe to see Scrooge McDuck vs Tiger Millionaire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scrooge does strike me as the type to realise early on he's got talent as a heel and to lean into it.

Bet he ends up ringing in Launchpad as a babyface.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xelkelvos posted:

"I watch a lot of wrestling while I fly"
"Wait, 'while?'"

:allears: I love Launchpad

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's the attack of Huge McDuck!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Elfface posted:

I also thought I briefly spotted a Lupin-lookalike in the crowd. On a rewatch, there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it better shot of him.

It looks like he might be a wolf too, for maximum name-pun efficiency.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tezuka is a bit of a multiple case of anime references since she's named as a reference to the father of manga, and her outfit and endless supply of handcuffs is a reference to Zenigata, and she's also a reference to a kind of character that frequently shows up in Astro Boy stories and derivatives; an authority figure who dislikes and distrusts robots while genuinely having the wellbeing of humans in mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

There was also a rabbit dressed as Sailor Moon earlier in the episode as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

Wait...how is that supposed to be a wolf?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

He’s definitely some sort of canine at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Which is weird, because we've seen actual wolves on the show, they're people like Don Karnage and those two goombas Glomgold hired in the pilot alongside Gabby McStabberson, they usually have the full on snout rather than just a vaguely dog like face ala the Beagle Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Spoilered because it's best when it gets you by surprise, but the Capt. Lou reference just made my week.