Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
By the way, I appreciate you labeling the individual video sections on Youtube. I didn't even know you could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want to say Airgetlam can see and hear the real world from inside its hammerspace but not interact with anything, like a ghost or possibly spectre.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
It's unclear how sentient Lammy is. My interpretation is that he's not sentient and how he acts is just sort of a weird reflection of Millium's personality, but I may very well be wrong. It might get elaborated on in CS3, which I have yet to play.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

It's unclear how sentient Lammy is. My interpretation is that he's not sentient and how he acts is just sort of a weird reflection of Millium's personality, but I may very well be wrong. It might get elaborated on in CS3, which I have yet to play.

That's my leading theory too. Lammy definitely has some slightly silly personality and Claimh Solais is far more subdued, which matches with their partners

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

By the way, I appreciate you labeling the individual video sections on Youtube. I didn't even know you could do that.
Yeah this is a cool and helpful thing to do when the videos are this long. Much appreciated.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Sindai posted:

Yeah this is a cool and helpful thing to do when the videos are this long. Much appreciated.

You're welcome! I'm pretty sure it's a new feature; only just happened to notice it on someone else's video right after I posted the Old Schoolhouse one. It's pretty easy to do -- it auto-generates those blocks based on timestamps in the description (which I should've been using anyway, but well, we're here now).

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 8, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Elliot and Emma get Detector as an extra craft, because it's not really good enough to be worth taking up one of their normal craft spots.
- Alisa will be out of the party for some time, but her next craft is very, very good.
- Evade and Counter can be a little tricky, since Machias and Elliot have a range advantage that keeps them out of counter range, and Gaius also has a reach advantage that also often keeps him out of counter range unless you run right up into his face. I had a difficult time meeting all conditions on Nightmare in that fight because I was also trying to use Battle Scopes on everyone to get the achievement for a full notebook. If you want that achievement, Shining helps. Of course, that requires knowing what the condition is ahead of time.
- Crow's victory line was: "Handsome and strong, I'm the total package"
- Skanda Gem is fantastic on Rean, who goes fast enough to get those spells off at the start of fights, and otherwise has little use for EP. This is the earliest you can get it, so I'm honestly surprised you got it at this point considering you've missed out on some AP so far.

- Legram is very much fantasy Scotland.
- Yeah, Airgetlam would just catch Millium if you threw her out the window.
- I don't think anyone hits 10,000 HP in this game.
- Celine and Fie were in the same scene after the "Empty Suit of Armor" fight.
- You're right - it's not a coincidence that you're going to see the railway guns at the same time as the trade conference, but there's a non-sinister reason for why the timing matches up. EDIT: Neithardt and Millium discussed it, so it's fair game. It's because the military exercise Class VII will be observing was deliberately scheduled at the same time as the trade conference.
- Your gym is trying to justify the membership fee it's charging you.
- Don't bother using Groundbait at Legram, save that for later.
- The "again" was the best part of "I got coffee in my hair again."
- You were wondering what happened to Class VI was, well that was essentially George, Crow, Angie, Towa, and Andrew.

- No, they don't need to catch that train, because Heimdallr is in the opposite direction. But maybe they just want to stop talking to him.
- Lechter is an Imperial operative, but as a "2nd Secretary for the Imperial Goverment" he has official cover, which make him more protected than those with non-official cover (such as a "importer/exporter", for instance)
- I think it's becoming kinda a madness mantra to protect their own minds at this point. "At times like this, she seems like any other girl her age... at times like this she seems like any other girl her age... at times like this she seems like any other girl her age..."
- The Orbal staff isn't classified, it's a prototype in development in preparation for a more wide-scale release. It will become a more popular weapon, so learning how to fight someone who uses it could be a useful skill. Even if the answer is "They can't move very fast or parry with it, so just hit them with anything and they'll crumple like tissue paper".
The Venn Diagram for "Emma is on-screen" and "Emma is thinking about secrets" is two circles heavily overlapping. The Venn Diagram for "Emma is thinking about secrets" and "Emma is sharing those secrets with others" is two completely separate circles with a distinct gap between them.
- I believe that Airgetlam is not invisible. I believe it would run into things if it was just invisible.
- "Dunno how the game's gonna be working once the war breaks out, but we'll find out." - :allears:

Bonding Event Roundup:
- CS 2 adds limited fast travel to the Nord Highlands so that you are not always forced to physically go across the entire thing.
- Don't worry, Rean is not going to let that 50 Mira thing go.
- No, 50 Mira has never really been worth anything. You could buy half a newspaper, or a handful of ingredients. At most, 12 Milled Flour/Kibbled Salt in the Sky games. Here you can get 5 ingredients at most.

- Most of the bonding events in CS 2 have a little more effort put in I think, but one in particular has an extra special touch added by XSEED.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ I have no idea why Alisa's AI didn't have her cast spells there. She definitely can.

Emma and Alisa only seem to like to cast spells when they're the only ones left, and typically only healing and revive spells, too. Because Laura was still up, she wasn't going to cast. Not the greatest AI.

quote:

~ Ok, you might not realize how many of your comments, like, your offhand comments that aren't even actually about the plot and are just jokes are just prescient. This adds a lot to my enjoying your videos.

I've noted down some of the good ones for later.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- You were wondering what happened to Class VI was, well that was essentially George, Crow, Angie, Towa, and Andrew.

who's Andrew

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- Alisa will be out of the party for some time, but her next craft is very, very good.

I would argue it's the game-best craft in a game that has an accelerate craft, Elliot's massive heal, and Emma's command revive.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hwurmp posted:

who's Andrew

Ooh, don't ask. You don't want to know what happened to Andrew.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- Your gym is trying to justify the membership fee it's charging you.

They actually didn't charge me at all in April, which was a bit surprising even though they're not that scummy by gym membership standards.

- Celine and Fie were in the same scene after the "Empty Suit of Armor" fight.

I was specifically thinking of that scene. Only Emma saw Celine, so there could've definitely been some magic orbal shenanigans going on there.

- I believe that Airgetlam is not invisible. I believe it would run into things if it was just invisible.

It's basically this but replace "magic" with "orbal science."

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 9, 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I've noted down some of the good ones for later.
How long is your list?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

- I don't think anyone hits 10,000 HP in this game.
When I'm no longer held back from doing my own broken run of this, I'm taking this as a build challenge.

- The "again" was the best part of "I got coffee in my hair again."
I started tying it up for recordings with the other person who caused this, I just didn't expect it on this one!

- No, 50 Mira has never really been worth anything. You could buy half a newspaper, or a handful of ingredients. At most, 12 Milled Flour/Kibbled Salt in the Sky games. Here you can get 5 ingredients at most.

fun fact: this was my job for years

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Holy poo poo you were in the Yakuza?!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BearDrivingTruck posted:

There's a scene in CS2 that suggests that if you tried to sneak up on Millium while she was asleep and tried to murder her, Airgetlam could phase in and brain you despite Millium not being aware of your presence. So if it's not semi-sentient, it at least has some functionality that allows it to perform some autonomous tasks.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Thanks for being patient! Now that we're getting into another field study, I'm gonna try to push hard for twice a week again. No hard promises but I intend for it to at least be a lot more consistent than it has been.

65. Laura's Happy Adventures

The citizens of Legram give Laura's team a friendly welcome! Mostly!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- In case you're planning to turn someone into a dodge tank at some point, don't sell the Golden Mail you can buy in Legram even if you get armor with more defense points later on. I believe it's the strongest armor that gives a +10% bonus to evade.

- I think this is the first time Toval's name has been officially dropped in-game, although for many Falcom fans, he was already known from a manga featuring him, Estelle and Joshua that mostly takes place slightly before the events of Trails in the Sky the 3rd. It's been translated by the folks at Esterior, so if you're interested, give it a read.

https://www.esterior.net/2016/08/translation-wednesday-bonus-ring-of-judgment-complete-download/

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For the record, Legram is by far the place with the worst performance in the PS3 and Vita versions of CS1. Whatever they do with the fog effect, the engine really hates it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

For the record, Legram is by far the place with the worst performance in the PS3 and Vita versions of CS1. Whatever they do with the fog effect, the engine really hates it.

Falcom wasn't used to the PhyreEngine yet at that point and Cold Steel 1 overall was horribly optimized, requiring a Week1 patch just to make it semi-playable. For the PC version, Durante ended up rewriting a large part of the renderer from scratch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- There is no HP 3, Evade 3, or Cast 3* quartz in the game. *Well, not by that name at least.
- The 14 lamp thing isn't a big deal, as there's not much to explore right now, and you need to go past 13 of the lamps anyway on the way to the boss you have to fight anyway.
- The highway isn't really that long. Legram is probably the place with the easiest field study quests. I imagine the developers wanted to give the players a break after Heimdallr.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Really? I remember a later place being worse, at least on the Vita version. Turns out lots of people destroy the engine.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Possible! It's been a while. But this is definitely the place that sticks out in my mind as running poorly.

Thinking about it, this may actually have run better on Vita than on PS3, maybe a resolution fillrate problem? I'd have to check though, maybe I still have a save in the area...

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 20, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- There is no HP 3, Evade 3, or Cast 3* quartz in the game. *Well, not by that name at least.
- The 14 lamp thing isn't a big deal, as there's not much to explore right now, and you need to go past 13 of the lamps anyway on the way to the boss you have to fight anyway.
- The highway isn't really that long. Legram is probably the place with the easiest field study quests. I imagine the developers wanted to give the players a break after Heimdallr.

Legram's small quest area is actually smaller than Celdic at the start of the game.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

66. There Are Fourteen Lights

They could hear Rean yelling FIGHT ME from clear on the other end of town.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Q: how many army cadets does it take to change a light bulb

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Legram isn't a... okay yes, Legram is kinda a filler chapter. But I see it as more of a decompression chapter, because Heimdallr has a LOT of NPC's and zones, and doing to "talk to everyone" rounds can be a bit much. In that regards, Legram is a bit of a relief.
- It's probably okay to sell that much sepith. Yeah, it's fine. You'll have loads by the time Chapter 6 and new quartz show up.
- Force generates so much CP for Rean that it gets nerfed in CS 2. You also have the Gladiator belt on him, which helps.
- They saved most of the voice stuff for scenes where Rean was the only one silent, and some other notable mandatory scenes. They did not voice any sidequests or bonding events in CS 1.
- I've said it a couple times before, but if you want healing and status curing at the same time, that's what cooking is for. It's a lot more important on higher difficulties, but you may wish to consider cooking more, since the game is going to get more difficult.
- CS 2 sometimes gives you the option to warp back to town after completing a sidequest, but you're usually given the option to refuse and walk back yourself.
- I don't know about put in at the last minute, but it's less impactful than I was expecting.
- "Can I duel you sir, please?" - "Ok, you might not realize how many of your comments, like, your offhand comments that aren't even actually about the plot and are just jokes are just prescient." - Veryslightlymad
- Don't worry a lot about being out of money. There's a LOT of combat in this chapter, so you'll pick up a substantial amount of Sepith Masses.
- "Tomorrow."
- This fight is also unwinnable. Healing items are a waste, but if you get Rean's dodge up a lot, he can hold out for longer.
- Victor Arseid is supposed to have an S-Craft, but I've never seen anyone last long enough to see it. I guess that's supposed to be the signature technique mentioned.
- Emma's S-Break comes pretty soon, yes.
- This chapter is, in theory, supposed to have a focus on Laura and Emma, but it left me unsatisfied. You'll see.
- "Have to rescue those dipshit kids this afternoon." :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

- Victor Arseid is supposed to have an S-Craft, but I've never seen anyone last long enough to see it. I guess that's supposed to be the signature technique mentioned.

He does; I've only ever seen it on NG+.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Hwurmp posted:

He does; I've only ever seen it on NG+.

I got it all of once by sandbagging until he'd had enough.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ :eng101: "Allow me to show you around in my father's stead" can technically mean two different things and both of them are accurate to what she's doing. Laura only meant the one everyone sees, though. I just like words.

~ Toval is not complicit in a capital crime. So it comes up sometimes, but Jusis's dad is really loving stupid. Actually doing something to Machias would have eventually brought an entire world of poo poo down on him.

~ If Rean is in Millium's radius and Rean is in Laura's radius, and Rean, Laura and Millium are the same size (functionally, they are), then Laura and Millum are in Rean's radius.

~ Single combat does kind of suck. Never knowingly enter a fair duel in this entire series without equipping Shining, making it an unfair duel that you won't lose.

~ The thing about lights is the broken ones don't light up. This would be easier if you were replacing good lights with bad ones, but it'd also make no sense.

~ You can't beat Victor. You can knock him down to half-way, and then he'll S-break you and hit you for 50,000 damage (Actually, it's set at 49,999). He's unbeatable in a completely different way than C and Sara were.

EDIT
I have gotten to his "You can no longer damage him" point in a fight, and I had to burn Zeram items to do it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 23, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ You can't beat Victor. You can knock him down to half-way, and then he'll S-break you and hit you for 50,000 damage (Actually, it's set at 49,999). He's unbeatable in a completely different way than C and Sara were.

That owns and is just such a perfect flex.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

END ME SCOOB posted:

That owns and is just such a perfect flex.

I've never thought to test and use Adamantium Shield before getting him to that point, but I strongly suspect that after blocking it, he'll act immediately and do it again. My reasoning is there's a boss in CS2 that does this exact thing. THAT fucker actually S-crafted me 4 times in a row, once.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've never thought to test and use Adamantium Shield before getting him to that point, but I strongly suspect that after blocking it, he'll act immediately and do it again. My reasoning is there's a boss in CS2 that does this exact thing. THAT fucker actually S-crafted me 4 times in a row, once.

We call that the Mot Effect.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Veryslightlymad posted:

I believe that instead he just makes himself immune to damage, and will throw down the S-Craft every turn until you die.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Cyouni posted:

I believe that instead he just makes himself immune to damage, and will throw down the S-Craft every turn until you die.

Adamantium Shield probably works the same way as the proxy puppet in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ4NIy-vtv0

I guess they also max his speed so the player doesn't get a turn to do anything funny.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's not so much making his speed maxed as it is making the delay on his attack 0, therefor literally nothing can go before he does. And yes, that's exactly what that fucker in CS2 does, too. :argh:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

67. Extravagantly-Dressed Mystery

A mysterious, arrogant, influential, bold, striking, unforgettable, imposing, pompous, dangerous big-shot VIP noble comes to visit Laura's dad.

- Legram isn't a... okay yes, Legram is kinda a filler chapter. But I see it as more of a decompression chapter, because Heimdallr has a LOT of NPC's and zones, and doing to "talk to everyone" rounds can be a bit much. In that regards, Legram is a bit of a relief.

I guess my issue with this is that's what I assumed the school sections were for. Following 6-8 hours of break with more break is pretty underwhelming.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ I don't consider Legram filler at all---especially not when you consider the parts of the field study that aren't in Legram, but even with, I would argue that this area is more important to the overall plot of the game than Nord was.

~ "Ok, you might not realize how many of your comments, like, your offhand comments that aren't even actually about the plot and are just jokes are just prescient." ------ Millium's actual quote for this attack in CS3 is "Get Lasered."

~ Penalizing Laura's magic isn't a problem. Penalizing her magic defense can definitely get her killed in some situations. It does give her insight, and insight is fantastic.

~ CS2 and especially CS3 get a lot better about their link abilities going off.

~ Laura will at least call it Radiant Waltz in CS2.

~ Insight is a significant boost to both Evade and Accuracy.

~ When you put Jusis in against the robot and clicked crafts, I thought "Oh good. He realized it has no delay defense; he's gonna lock it up with Rapid Thrust."

~ Lamare is neither Patrick nor Angelica. Just this rear end in a top hat.

~ Cayenne came to Legram by boat, but left by car, as he had business in Bareahard.

~ After Rean, Elliot actually is a common fan pairing for Laura. No, I don't get it either.

~ "Basic Rod, fishing pole designer" is a fantastic joke.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm actually shocked you didn't leave in the Alf adventure game digression, which makes me wonder if that has been un-scrapped in another video.

He's really not kidding about how much I've been Alfing it up lately.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

S-Crafts never have elements; there are a couple in other Trails games that count as arts attacks, but that just means they're based off the user's ATS instead of STR. Daddy Arseid's Phoenix Slash ignores all defenses because it is technically a bullshit attack.

e: I don't know if this is welcome news but I think you guys walked right past a hidden quest after you agreed to stop worrying about them

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

I guess my issue with this is that's what I assumed the school sections were for. Following 6-8 hours of break with more break is pretty underwhelming.

That’s fair, but I’d say that one other reason that Legram is short is because there’s a second destination.

- Alisa, Machias, and Elliot all get Auto-Tear, I think.
- There are other characters who get upgraded S-Crafts and they do get new lines and different visuals.
- Emma does seem to react to discussions about animism more than others, or talk about it a little.
- Laura isn't the only character who gets a "wing" association with one of their crafts, but that craft only shows up in CS 2, and like many S-Craft animations, it's really over-the-top and should be taken with a grain of salt.
- I think what the "Lammy/Combat shells are made of some other substance" is alluding to a plastic-like material. Hard, somewhat flexible, and doesn't shed heat as efficiently as metal.
- Check on the ghost pretzel occasionally.
- Team B has not gone to Ordis, although they likey passed through its train station. They went to Byronia and are currently in Jurai.
- This visit by Cayenne was a complete surprise, so there's less chance of assassins.
- Yes, Rean first needs to come to terms with his ability. I mean, he's only just barely stopped hiding its existence from everyone else.
- You missed talking to someone near the lakeshore.