Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah those are the targeted emails. I definitely check all my spam folders and stuff and have never received one. Just seems like dumb luck or something. People report buying a month then canceling it, putting a lifetime pass in your cart and leaving it, etc, but I don't think there's any criteria proven to generate the targeted offer unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah those are the targeted emails. I definitely check all my spam folders and stuff and have never received one. Just seems like dumb luck or something. People report buying a month then canceling it, putting a lifetime pass in your cart and leaving it, etc, but I don't think there's any criteria proven to generate the targeted offer unfortunately.

I thought that it was a little too convenient timing:

I'd recently thrown a new HDD in my desktop and re-organized my Plex library there. So that's easy data usage they've access to. Like in the last month.

I'd visited their site in the previous 5-7 days looking at the price of Plex Pass, saw $90 or so, and held off because I'd remembered the $75 pricing around holidays last year. So IP traffic, maybe.

Definitely didn't put anything in a cart or buy a month, though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

I wouldn't say "regularly." I haven't seen it be that price since maybe a Black Friday or something. I've been waiting quite a while for it to go on sale.

They sometimes send an email to people on their list with $75 off, as recently as March 25th, but im not aware of what the exact criteria are.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just checked my email and I've gotten a ton of the $75 offers and never noticed. They're all expired but gonna keep an eye out now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If I have plex pass and sign in a second server over at my inlaws house will both of them work at the same time for pass features? Nothing is remote streaming. Specifically care about hardware transcoding and nothing else.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have an h264 file which refuses to play via Plex through my Chromecast Ultra, yet it plays just fine through a web browser or using my TV's app.

I just want poo poo to work, dammit! It had no issues before whatever they did about 3 months ago.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

If I have plex pass and sign in a second server over at my inlaws house will both of them work at the same time for pass features? Nothing is remote streaming. Specifically care about hardware transcoding and nothing else.

Yeah you can have multiple servers tied to a single account

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fluppet posted:

Yeah you can have multiple servers tied to a single account

Thanks, I suspected this but it's Plex so who knows.

Nocheez posted:

I have an h264 file which refuses to play via Plex through my Chromecast Ultra, yet it plays just fine through a web browser or using my TV's app.

I just want poo poo to work, dammit! It had no issues before whatever they did about 3 months ago.

Can you downgrade to that version from 3 months ago on your server? Or is it the client app that broke?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks, I suspected this but it's Plex so who knows.

Can you downgrade to that version from 3 months ago on your server? Or is it the client app that broke?

I don't know that answer, I just upgrade every time there's a new version because that's what we're supposed to do right?

But honestly, if someone knows where to go to downgrade to an older, stable version that would be fantastic.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I don't know that answer, I just upgrade every time there's a new version because that's what we're supposed to do right?

But honestly, if someone knows where to go to downgrade to an older, stable version that would be fantastic.

I haven't upgraded in months because it works as is and isn't exposed to the internet. Why would you upgrade if there aren't new features? Do you expose plex to the internet? I wouldn't suggest upgrading blindly or exposing it to the internet.

plexmediaserver-1.15.8.1198-eadbcbb45.x86_64 works for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, Plex's default behavior requires an internet connection. And if you want to use a ton of its features, you need that too. How are you pulling metadata if you're denying it internet access? Or are you just referring to not allowing extrenal connections for remote users etc?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nocheez posted:

I do unattended automatic container upgrades because chaos/hail satan. Though unless there’s a feature or fix you need in a patch you can usually wait a bit in case something goes weird with a chance. Up to you though, just depends on how critical a service being available is and your willingness to poke around to resolve issues.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, Plex's default behavior requires an internet connection. And if you want to use a ton of its features, you need that too. How are you pulling metadata if you're denying it internet access? Or are you just referring to not allowing extrenal connections for remote users etc?

Outside in exposure (sharing). It can talk back to the mothership all it wants. It's just my sketchy webcams and printer where I deny all outbound internet access.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I do have it connected to the internet so I can stream when I'm traveling. Is that really so odd?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I do have it connected to the internet so I can stream when I'm traveling. Is that really so odd?

I think it's a terrible risk to take. Wireguard/openvpn can help you do it safely. It's the same soapbox I get on in the NAS thread if you follow along there.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Not "exposing" Plex to the internet is weird

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there anyway for Plex to work through NordVPN? Every time I have my server connected, none of my friends can see it and it's driving me nuts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Not "exposing" Plex to the internet is weird

It's the common/default thing to do, I think it's a bad idea. I also wish I could turn off transocding. :colbert: (I know I opened with "can I do transcoding.")

Is there anyway for Plex to work through NordVPN? Every time I have my server connected, none of my friends can see it and it's driving me nuts.

Not if you want plex to traverse the vpn. If you don't, you can make a much more custom routing policy on your server. If you're trying to make it so your torrent client goes through the vpn and the rest doesn't I would start looking at either spinning the torrent client into a VM (easiest) or putting it into a docker container with macvlan networking.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 8, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

It's the common/default thing to do, I think it's a bad idea. I also wish I could turn off transocding. :colbert: (I know I opened with "can I do transcoding.")

Not if you want plex to traverse the vpn. If you don't, you can make a much more custom routing policy on your server. If you're trying to make it so your torrent client goes through the vpn and the rest doesn't I would start looking at either spinning the torrent client into a VM (easiest) or putting it into a docker container with macvlan networking.

I don't have an active torrent client, and I have no idea how to do any VM/docker stuff. I have a NAS, but my Plex server runs on my desktop PC. Any advice, or guides on how to set that stuff up?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I don't have an active torrent client, and I have no idea how to do any VM/docker stuff. I have a NAS, but my Plex server runs on my desktop PC. Any advice, or guides on how to set that stuff up?

Why are you running nordvpn? And you didn't answer - do you want plex to traverse the vpn or not?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It worked fine for me for some time. What OS are you using and are you using their app or OpenVPN with their stuff plugged into it?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Warbird posted:

It worked fine for me for some time. What OS are you using and are you using their app or OpenVPN with their stuff plugged into it?

Huh, that's weird. It doesn't* work for me and I use Nord's app and Windows 10. I thought it was a known thing that it wouldn't work due to Nord not supporting port-forwarding. 99% of my streaming is local and I don't share my server with friends due to having poo poo upstream so it never was an issue for me.

*it actually will work outside of the home, but only using Plex's indirect connection, where it routes the stream through the Plex servers, which I'm surprised even is a thing because I would think that open Plex up to piracy liability, but it does exist and works that way, but only at low resolutions

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

NordVPN doesn't appear to offer port forwarding as a feature (1), so the answer is going to be no if you want Plex to go through the VPN for whatever reason.

If you want the VPN to be active with an exception for Plex (so that it can actually work over the external internet), then

H110Hawk posted:

If you don't, you can make a much more custom routing policy on your server.
Do you have your VPN set up at the router level? Or is it on a device level?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Torguard has been very good for me and does offer port forwarding, for what it's worth. I found with PIA that I could get it to work by opening plex, making sure it was working fine connection wise on that ip, and then opening the vpn and not breathing on it or looking at it too hard, but eventually even that broke.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Why are you running nordvpn? And you didn't answer - do you want plex to traverse the vpn or not?

I do use Usenet, but it’s just my regular desktop PC that I do internet stuff on, and would rather have all my web browsing behind a VPN.

Warbird posted:

Win10 and I’m using the Nord app.

lurksion posted:

NordVPN doesn't appear to offer port forwarding as a feature (1), so the answer is going to be no if you want Plex to go through the VPN for whatever reason.

If you want the VPN to be active with an exception for Plex (so that it can actually work over the external internet), then

Do you have your VPN set up at the router level? Or is it on a device level?

I do not have a VPN set up at the router level. VPN being a rice with an exception for Plex sounds exactly like what I’d want.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Plex’s play history is super weird for me. It seems super inconsistent. I have a few movies that I put on everyday while working as background noise, but their play counts feel super low and those movies only show history for about 5 months back.

I copied the Plex databases and was digging around them, but didn’t see any tables like “play history” or something. I’ll take another look when I get a chance.

Maybe a movie only gets recorded as played if it reaches the end of the file and cancelling playback during the credits doesn’t count?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hm. I was using the OpenVPN client on my Ubuntu box. It’s entirely possible I may have misconfigured it and just didn’t notice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I do use Usenet, but it’s just my regular desktop PC that I do internet stuff on, and would rather have all my web browsing behind a VPN.

Why? This is a serious question, why do you want your regular browsing going to nord's servers? I'm not trying to be obtuse here (it just comes naturally.) it can help tailor the answer.

I frankly don't know how to do it on windows. Got a raspberry pi? You could: config it using openvpn, literally any size will do, then ssh to it with the -D option ("dynamic" in KiTTy) on port 12345. For things you want vpn'd then configure them to use a socks proxy on 127.0.0.1:12345.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m still pretty sure the only people who really benefit from VPNs are the people who have affiliate codes for VPNs.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m still pretty sure the only people who really benefit from VPNs are the people who have affiliate codes for VPNs.

They're good for those of us who want to get around regional blackouts on sports streaming services, but yeah hell if I need all my day to day traffic going through one.

That said, I run a VPN on my Unifi USG to get back into my network and access my Plex (and other things) remotely without exposing them to the internet directly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use a dns service for regional stuff, works for every service I need and more transparent than the vpns I’ve messed with.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I separated my downloading/scraping system from my plex server long ago but fwiw pia does have port forwarding as a feature and I also believe nord was caught trying to cover up a breach last year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PIA also supports a SOCKS5 proxy, which is arguably the right way to have one or more applications transiting the VPN rather than messing with a routing table. (providing the apps you want to proxy also support it of course - but the usual suspects all do)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

PIA also supports a SOCKS5 proxy, which is arguably the right way to have one or more applications transiting the VPN rather than messing with a routing table. (providing the apps you want to proxy also support it of course - but the usual suspects all do)

Which recall does not natively support encryption, so if you want to hide your activities from your ISP or whomever, you must encrypt whatever you are sending down the SOCKS pipe. It provides a cheaper, cleartext way around various blocks. Nord (the ones with the compromised master key) have a picture: https://nordvpn.com/blog/socks5-proxy/

If you trust your socks proxy's ip to not change you can edit your openvpn config to basically only route that IP. I haven't mucked with this, you will need to make it not inject the rest of its routes.

route socks5_proxy_ip 255.255.255.255 openvpn_remote_ip

Note if your socks5 proxy ip changes, which you have no control over with 3rd party solutions (e.g. nord) you get 0 encryption silently.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 9, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Which recall does not natively support encryption, so if you want to hide your activities from your ISP or whomever, you must encrypt whatever you are sending down the SOCKS pipe. It provides a cheaper, cleartext way around various blocks. Nord (the ones with the compromised master key) have a picture: https://nordvpn.com/blog/socks5-proxy/

True in general, but IIRC, the PIA client has a socks proxy endpoint so you're pointing at 127.0.0.1 port whatever, which the client then encrypts and shoves down the VPN. I configured this a long time ago, so the details are fuzzy. I may have used a 3rd party client or something in addition.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

True in general, but IIRC, the PIA client has a socks proxy endpoint so you're pointing at 127.0.0.1 port whatever, which the client then encrypts and shoves down the VPN. I configured this a long time ago, so the details are fuzzy. I may have used a 3rd party client or something in addition.

That's clever. I guess you could bind sshd to 127.0.0.2 and setup routing there, ssh -D 12345 127.0.0.2, then shove it down that way with custom routing. Either way it's a nightmare to configure split tunnel where the other side is effectively hostile and out of your control, even if you pay them and "trust" it. Any time I think about doing something like this I just give up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My $50 android TV no-name box running android 9 is finally starting to peter out and die.

I was looking at upgrading to an Nvidia Shield to just run the Plex client, not the server. Does anyone here use the newer TV version of the shield that looks like a baton tube? Any pros/cons I should be aware of? This link:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/apps/

Makes me concerned it wont actually even run Plex because it says its only available through the Canadian app store!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It says available in Canada, but I don't see where it says its only available there.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I don't have the newer Shield, but Plex works fine for me as long as you remember to disable 'use new player' in the advanced settings. Sure hope they fix the bugs before removing that option.

edit: to clarify, the 'new' player won't play files with some audio codecs/subtitle formats, but the 'old'' player will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My $50 android TV no-name box running android 9 is finally starting to peter out and die.

I was looking at upgrading to an Nvidia Shield to just run the Plex client, not the server. Does anyone here use the newer TV version of the shield that looks like a baton tube? Any pros/cons I should be aware of? This link:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/apps/

Makes me concerned it wont actually even run Plex because it says its only available through the Canadian app store!

I'd be curious if anyone has experience with the tube shield as well. Looking to upgrade from my launch chromecast and it seems like the best option.