Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Memento posted:

Mostly these are gold exploration companies, they're actually ramping things up. The gold price is nearly as high right now as it was during the insane boom in the early 2010s.

I have the impression the boom of the early 2010s was fueled by Paulites and tea party types but I assume they were only part of the demand... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It looks like the US administration has had a falling out with the Royal family in the KSA. Twitter is saying PATRIOT being pulled, larger military presence meant to deter Iran apparently being canx’d.

Whoops sorry thought this was GiP CE thread.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 8, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The gold price in the early 2010s was driven by demand for electronics, especially the boom in smartphones, plus demand from the explosion in spending power from the middle classes in China and India seeing huge growth as well. The Chinese government pumped literal trillions of dollars into their economy in the form of building projects that mostly sit empty to this day, and they used a lot of Indian steel as well. Gold is a status symbol in those countries and the biggest consumer of gold to this day is the Indian middle class.

Currently the price increase is because gold is seen as a refuge investment in times of trouble. It jumped 6% in the space of a day when the US schwacked that Iranian general and apart from a dip in mid-April it's been going up since.

Memento fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 8, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I got a few ounces of gold when it was $1080ish. I sold them when I moved to Portland and did pretty good, but I would have been happier if I held onto them. Right now is a decent time to sell gold, mediocre time to buy. Don't buy a bubble, friends.

I wish palladium would go back up to $2700. I don't have a lot but almost tripling something doesn't happen often.

gently caress me, I wish had a few dozen Bitcoins for when it went from something like 3k to 18k. Some millionaires got made by that rare event. I'd bet plenty of goons made a killing on that.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Log posted:

I got a few ounces of gold when it was $1080ish. I sold them when I moved to Portland and did pretty good, but I would have been happier if I held onto them. Right now is a decent time to sell gold, mediocre time to buy. Don't buy a bubble, friends.

I wish palladium would go back up to $2700. I don't have a lot but almost tripling something doesn't happen often.

gently caress me, I wish had a few dozen Bitcoins for when it went from something like 3k to 18k. Some millionaires got made by that rare event. I'd bet plenty of goons made a killing on that.

I was laughing about Bitcoin when it was a dollar. If only I knew then what I know now :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

LibCrusher posted:

I was laughing about Bitcoin when it was a dollar. If only I knew then what I know now :(

:smith: :respek: :smith:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wasn't aware there was a gold boom. Welp.

Welp? Don't be like that friend, it is taking the sting out of the guys still onsite keeping production running flat out that they get a 50% salary bonus for the duration of being stuck onsite.

And not kidding about boom times, I feel absolutely no sense of job insecurity at the moment even as I sit stuck offsite on full salary. Old mines are being started up, new projects are being pushed through development and existing plants being expanded. Only threat is transport of people and the worry about critical vendors going under as the rest of their market collapses so they stop making an irreplaceable widget for a big machine.

Good point on new light vehicles (LV) being diverted, I was always leary of how hard village chiefs and the like push for LVs from us and hate how we fold over sometimes but this is something I can remind them of.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s really really hard to get large amounts of cash dollar money out of bitcoin. Stupidly hard. And prices and value have no correlation because there is a ton of bullshit in the “market”.

It’s a black box money scheme, no matter what anyone says. I don’t care if someone with a math degree and an economics degree and a finance degree can comprehend and make sense of the black box in theory, it’s a goddamn black box.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The fact that people were selling drugs for Bitcoin seems to suggest that it's to some degree possible though, no? That's a real-ish economy making nontrivial revenues and at some point a drug dealer probably wants to have some real money in hand for his stuff.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

The fact that people were selling drugs for Bitcoin seems to suggest that it's to some degree possible though, no? That's a real-ish economy making nontrivial revenues and at some point a drug dealer probably wants to have some real money in hand for his stuff.

It probably was during the bubble when they were successfully luring suckers into dumping real money into it with promises that they could sell it to bigger suckers later (and you 99.9% would have been one of these suckers getting cleaned out in the dumps, FYI). But that ended pretty quickly, hence the gigantic crashes and transition to the tether pump/dump schemes.

The drug market was also a sideshow compared to the RMB to USD laundering + tax evasion scheme. Lotta rich Chinese guys converted piles of electric bills in bumfuck nowhere China into foreign currency elsewhere.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 8, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Koesj posted:

Yeah they do. They’re also in JVs with most large retail chains in the UAE IIRC as well since any local operation needs 51% local ownership. See for example IKEA Franchisees and whatnot.

UAExchange, a WU competitor with which you can send money to Syria without Bashar al Assad taking the overpriced official dollar rate cut, is Al Futtaim owned as well if I’m not mistaken.

Technically those guys are distributorships or importers as opposed to dealerships, which basically means they have relatively more power and autonomy. Toyota just sells em poo poo and lets them use the logo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AlexanderCA posted:

Mikoyan Gurevich the XVth is a mouth full, so to get his attention quickly I call out his nickname.

Oatmeal is really painful when snorted, you rear end in a top hat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Welp? Don't be like that friend, it is taking the sting out of the guys still onsite keeping production running flat out that they get a 50% salary bonus for the duration of being stuck onsite.

And not kidding about boom times, I feel absolutely no sense of job insecurity at the moment even as I sit stuck offsite on full salary. Old mines are being started up, new projects are being pushed through development and existing plants being expanded. Only threat is transport of people and the worry about critical vendors going under as the rest of their market collapses so they stop making an irreplaceable widget for a big machine.

Good point on new light vehicles (LV) being diverted, I was always leary of how hard village chiefs and the like push for LVs from us and hate how we fold over sometimes but this is something I can remind them of.

That was a reflection on me, not anyone else. I'm sorry for being a dick, I didn't mean it that way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bitcoin is stupid hard to cash out right now. There was some goon in one of the financial threads a while ago who knew someone who had to unload high six figures last year, when there was still some demand, and it had to be dribbled out over months and months. If it stays high l, whatever, but you’re kind of stuck if it nosedives.

Look up some graphs of the trade volume. That’s what you really need to track to figure out how easy it is to liquidate an asset.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bitcoin is stupid hard to cash out right now. There was some goon in one of the financial threads a while ago who knew someone who had to unload high six figures last year, when there was still some demand, and it had to be dribbled out over months and months. If it stays high l, whatever, but you’re kind of stuck if it nosedives.

Look up some graphs of the trade volume. That’s what you really need to track to figure out how easy it is to liquidate an asset.

People getting huge capital gains/spikes in their income and not saving any cash back to pay the taxes has provided some great fodder for the Bad With Money thread in BFC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Even better are the ones who day trade and generate six figures worth of taxable events.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How does a TOW work? if you were under the missile's flight path could you literally follow the wire back to the launcher? Can the wire snag on something?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Yes, and an unlikely scenario but yes. In theory you could drive a very high sharpened clotheshanger between the missile and launcher and conduct a post-launch-abort.

In reality this is ACME Corp level missile defense.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valtonen posted:

Meaning that the MIC probably spent somewhere in the Eight-to-Nine Figgies range trying to make it work in the 1950s-1980s?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pretty sure there's one of the videos out of Syria of the TOW wires landing on power lines and arcing. It's after missile's flight ended though, iirc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The W in TOW now stands for “wireless-guided” rather than “wire-guided.”

E: of course loads of legacy wired TOWs are still in circulation.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 8, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Valtonen posted:

Yes, and an unlikely scenario but yes. In theory you could drive a very high sharpened clotheshanger between the missile and launcher and conduct a post-launch-abort.

Would love to see a Super Genius try this!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It still boggles my mind that there’s enough wire in those things to reach the target.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Bitcoin has a lot of inherent problems from the fact that the guy who invented it was a genius cryptographer, but a moron when it comes to monetary economics. Which is true of cryptocurrency enthusiasts generally as they are mostly former (or current) goldbugs.

Since bitcoin is mostly used for money laundering, contraband, and evading capital controls, and is designed to be inherently deflationary, its volatility with respect to the real economy as a whole is very very bad. But it remains more or less the best available option if you're in Venezuela or China or some other country with bullshit monetary restrictions and you're trying to move your assets out of the country.

The basic idea behind cryptocurrency is creating a decentralized payment scheme that doesn't rely on the government or the banking system, but it turns out that most of the time the stuff the government and banking system do for you in terms of not having all your poo poo stolen and maintaining stable price levels is pretty handy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TK-42-1 posted:

It still boggles my mind that there’s enough wire in those things to reach the target.

The Russians used a spider.

:shrug:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Warbadger posted:

It probably was during the bubble when they were successfully luring suckers into dumping real money into it with promises that they could sell it to bigger suckers later (and you 99.9% would have been one of these suckers getting cleaned out in the dumps, FYI). But that ended pretty quickly, hence the gigantic crashes and transition to the tether pump/dump schemes.

The drug market was also a sideshow compared to the RMB to USD laundering + tax evasion scheme. Lotta rich Chinese guys converted piles of electric bills in bumfuck nowhere China into foreign currency elsewhere.

That is very cool/interesting, thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

Bitcoin has a lot of inherent problems from the fact that the guy who invented it was a genius cryptographer, but a moron when it comes to monetary economics. Which is true of cryptocurrency enthusiasts generally as they are mostly former (or current) goldbugs.

Since bitcoin is mostly used for money laundering, contraband, and evading capital controls, and is designed to be inherently deflationary, its volatility with respect to the real economy as a whole is very very bad. But it remains more or less the best available option if you're in Venezuela or China or some other country with bullshit monetary restrictions and you're trying to move your assets out of the country.

The basic idea behind cryptocurrency is creating a decentralized payment scheme that doesn't rely on the government or the banking system, but it turns out that most of the time the stuff the government and banking system do for you in terms of not having all your poo poo stolen and maintaining stable price levels is pretty handy.

It wasn't originally intended to be a viable currency or commodity or whatever the current belief is. And the guy who probably invented it died a couple of years ago, having never cashed out. It's still a huge ponzi scheme, and you have a better chance of losing all your "investment" due to a scam or glitch or hard drive failure than actually cashing out a meaningful profit. The GBS thread currently has one true believer who's great success was buying a base model PS4 with his "profit."

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mortabis posted:

the guy who invented it was a genius cryptographer
citation needed

Mortabis posted:

more or less the best available option if you're in Venezuela or China or some other country with bullshit monetary restrictions and you're trying to move your assets out of the country.
citation needed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Most people I've talked to who are true believers in cryptocurrency tend to support it because of the *US's* monetary policies, i.e sanctions on Venezuela and so on. Not because China and Venezuela have those restrictions.

On twitter from what I've seen, it's more of a proxy for anarcho beliefs, not because of some vague utility, which when you delve into their reasons almost always seem to be criminal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

priznat posted:

Would love to see a Super Genius try this!

Can a samurai with a sword deflect a wire-guided missile? Next time on Mythbusters

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FuturePastNow posted:

Can a samurai with a sword deflect a wire-guided missile? Next time on Mythbusters

probably would put the B squad on it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/848982344111280130

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Were they? That'd seem like the worst possible operating grounds for aircraft carriers. Very easy for missile boats to sneak up on you and launch missiles from way too close to do anything about, no big expanse of ocean for the carrier to hide in. How do you even sustain wind over the deck to launch and recover aircraft when your maneuvering room is constrained by being in a fjord?

I have seen several articles about US Carriers in the fyords, but of course the links are dead, the most recent link is this: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32993/fighting-world-war-iii-in-a-fjord-and-chasing-soviet-submarines-in-the-s-3-viking

The author refers to the Vestfjord as a carrier bastion. I half-remember someone who claimed to be ex-Soviet naval aviation pilot saying that they had to hit the carriers before they got into place in Norway.

The best I can think of is that the mountainous terrain around the fjord permitted the carrier to hide from submarines and radar reconnaissance, leaving only visual reconnaissance as a way to find them. Of course, if Norway was still under NATO control, a visual reconnaissance airplane would have a hard time surviving long enough to find the carrier.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That's, uh, wow

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

TK-42-1 posted:

Most modern heavyweight torpedos are still inherently wire guided. They'll have their own passive and active sensors but theres like 30 miles of wire there too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 9, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This may be too :opsec: so feel free to tell me to stfu but whats the limiter on the speed of a modern torpedo or tow then? The strength of the wire/cable or propulsion or controllability of the weapon at speed or just fuel/propellant consumption rate to get the weapon moving faster?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stravag posted:

This may be too :opsec: so feel free to tell me to stfu but whats the limiter on the speed of a modern torpedo or tow then? The strength of the wire/cable or propulsion or controllability of the weapon at speed or just fuel/propellant consumption rate to get the weapon moving faster?

I don't know about TOW, and really I don't know about torpedoes but I believe that the main limiting factor on torpedo speed is drag although I suppose a more energy dense propellant and stronger torpedo body could yield faster speeds without entering the realm of super cavitation. Some cursory google searching to refresh my memory says that you can do like 230mph with a supercavitating torpedo Russian VA-111 Shkval. For comparison here is the US Mark 48 clocking in at greater than 32mph officially or 63mph estimated with boring normal propellant and normal drag limitations.

Google also tells me that Germany, Iran, and the US have some supercavitating torpedoes but I don't think they are operational and probably there isn't the funding or need to really make them operational for any of those except the Iranians.

fake edit: yes I used mph instead of knots

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Spearfish is thought to be able to exceed 80 knots, but 80 is just the nice round "suspected figure" they're comfortable with. It's also not as long-legged as the newest ADCAPS.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A supercavitating torpedo definitely needs a wire-guide, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to use a seeker through the gas envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wiegieman posted:

A supercavitating torpedo definitely needs a wire-guide, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to use a seeker through the gas envelope.

The Shkval was initially designed to do one thing - get a nuclear warhead into a carrier, or at the very least, somewhere inside the formation of a CVBG. Accuracy didn't matter all that much, nor did the survival of the launch platform.

Any newly-developed supercavitating torpedo would need to have a two-stage design of sorts - a lower-speed launch and guidance phase, and the high-speed sprint to target once a hit is near-certain, somewhat like a few of the older/newer Russian AShMs. That's the only way you're going to sell them to militaries that don't view their submarines as disposable assets.