Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PookBear posted:

anyways the gently caress is the guy gonna do if he's on his way back home

Probably get stuck building a mask out of his undershirt or something. And then maybe he can verbally clue in the cop on just how how easy it is to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mlmp08 posted:

You said you violate CDC guidance and DOD policy out of a desire for convenience. Stop doing that. It could kill people.

Bold move, expecting a cop to care about lives other than their own. Let's see if it pays off.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Somehow every dumb as rocks NCO in the military has no problem doing things like yelling and being understood in M50s or even in full MOPP. While talk to panicking boots in the gas chamber in full goddamn MOPP in the loving North Carolina heat at camp Geiger. But poor bus cop guy can’t yell through his surgical mask. Your excuses suck.

Don’t give that “you don’t understand” because I’m a former cop.

:iiam:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Somehow I (and every other military member) managed communication just fine in MOPP, SCBA, N95s and every other mask under the sun but I guess that makes me Special because seemingly no cop itt or on the loving planet has figured it out and is coming to the flying defense of their fellows who are too loving stupid to Talk Loud but are also allowed to carry a gun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

To answer a question you asked me awhile back, the reason nobody engages you in good faith is because you don't either.

Liquid Communism posted:

Bold move, expecting a cop to care about lives other than their own. Let's see if it pays off.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

lol pandemic aside that loving rules. Do that forever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grem posted:

lol pandemic aside that loving rules. Do that forever.

Honestly yeah. So many recruits deal with unnecessary illnesses in basic.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember being loving wrecked the entirety of basic and most of AIT at Fort Sam, horking up tan-colored chunks of lung. COVID would go through TRADOC like a loving scythe without serious measures.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I remember being loving wrecked the entirety of basic and most of AIT at Fort Sam, horking up tan-colored chunks of lung. COVID would go through TRADOC like a loving scythe without serious measures.

Even though it was USAF our BMT has a good portion everyone get some kind of crud / general respiratory illness starting around week 2. The training instructors called it basic crud, and said it’s because we’re all from all over the U.S. and carrying a wild variety of bacteria and viruses that get spread like a wildfire because of the close confinement + stress (lol usaf bmt stress am I right?) just leads to a predictable outcome. T.I.’s were making dudes go to sick call and gave nobody any poo poo for going to sick call. But if you were out of training for more than I think 72 hours you recycled. The fear of recycle and my families plane tickets being worthless kept me outta sick call even though I was sick as gently caress. Dumb as poo poo in hindsight, but I was a teenager, and you know dumb they are.

On the other hand I’ve heard from others stories that this didn’t happen in their basic company/flight/whatever the gently caress the USN and presumably CG also use as well. So I guess it’s not guaranteed. Just common as hell. The “Wagner sucks cock” of public health issues. Pops up everywhere, is kind of understood, but not really. That sort of thing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Wasabi the J posted:

[ASK] me about going through bootcamp with pneumonia/bronchitis

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sucks for this guy whose door got kicked in for no reason, but at least nobody was hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmhRd_jC3Y

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bunch of loving idiots.

Going to kick down a door looking for social gatherings, stacked up on top of each other with a not a single mask and two pair of gloves between the four of them? That don't get put on until they're on the way out?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Liquid Communism posted:

Bunch of loving idiots.

Going to kick down a door looking for social gatherings, stacked up on top of each other with a not a single mask and two pair of gloves between the four of them? That don't get put on until they're on the way out?

If its anything like my old department they likely just didn't loving have any of em.

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Bunch of loving idiots.

Well you see it's okay because it's hard to yell with a mask on

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2020/04/16/florida-appeals-court-uphold-s-stand-your-ground-defense-in-shooting-of-deputy

Tldr cops tried to bust a girl for prostitution, guy heard the commotion on his porch and went out guns blazing. Cops now said that he got the same ruling a cop would.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

iwentdoodie posted:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2020/04/16/florida-appeals-court-uphold-s-stand-your-ground-defense-in-shooting-of-deputy

Tldr cops tried to bust a girl for prostitution, guy heard the commotion on his porch and went out guns blazing. Cops now said that he got the same ruling a cop would.

They charged him with first degree for responding to a violent situation on his front porch? First degree is when you make a plan and execute it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

69-year-old

Nice

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

iwentdoodie posted:

Wouldn't want to be that guy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you'd like to read the opinion, here it is: https://www.5dca.org/content/download/633846/7202085/file/190802_DC03_04152020_114402_i.pdf

The tl:dr; breakdown is this: 65 year old retired auto worker and part time security guard lets his niece move in with him. He knows that she's got drug problems and has turned tricks from time to time to support this habit. However, he does nothing to support her habit and tries to keep her clean. On the night of the incident, she was set up in a police sting. Her john and two other undercover police officers show up at the house. When she answers the door, the john reaches into the house, grabs her arm, and yanks her outside. She rightfully struggles with the men on the porch and begins yelling for help. Her uncle comes outside with his lawfully owned weapon and steps onto the porch. The police fall back and fan out in the yard. None of them say that they're police officers. Uncle fires warning shot in the air telling them to get the gently caress off his property. They open fire on the uncle and niece striking both. He returns fire, critically wounds one officer, and misses the other. Gets arrested and charged with three counts of first degree attempted murder of a law enforcement officer. At court raises that he is entitled to immunity Florida's stand your ground statute. The trial court determines that Uncle did not carry his burden and denies. The DCA overrules that saying the state has the burden, and orders the trial court to determine if the state proved by clear and convincing evidence that Uncle was 1. aware that the three assailants were police officers and 2. whether Uncle used his home for criminal activity. The trial court found the state did not prove that they identified themselves as police but held that because he was aware of his niece's prostitution, that his home was used for furthering criminal activity. Thus, once again, he was not immune. The 5th DCA again heard the case and said that mere knowledge that someone has committed some crime doesn't mean you're actively working to further that criminal activity. The state showed nothing more than Uncle's awareness that his Niece had struggled with drugs and had solicited before. They did not show that Uncle helped in any way, made money off of it, or did anything at all to further said criminal activity.

Now Uncle is absolutely immune from all criminal or civil suit regarding the circumstances, and he can probably sue the sheriff's office for what they did to him and his niece.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'd be a little worried because he fired a warning shot, but otherwise he was well within his rights to protect his niece from a bunch of unidentified armed men trying to pull her out of his house.

Undercover cops shouldn't get any special treatment by the law if they're just randomly attacking people like that (from the perspective of any reasonable bystander).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

They charged him with first degree for responding to a violent situation on his front porch? First degree is when you make a plan and execute it.

I'm sure FL has a 'malice aforethought can be formed in an instant' case.

e: It also carries either death or life in prison without the possibility of release, which makes it a very effective plea bargaining tool.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 18, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
good uncle

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joat mon posted:

I'm sure FL has a 'malice aforethought can be formed in an instant' case.

e: It also carries either death or life in prison without the possibility of release, which makes it a very effective plea bargaining tool.

I haven’t read the dismissed information against him, but this is correct. A second to think about what you’re doing is enough to satisfy the premeditation. For example, a cop shot and killed a man who was with his disabled van following a gig his band had played. The cop did not identify himself. He walked up and said “you ok?” To which the van’s owner said he’s good. The cop yelled it again and the man replied the same. The cop saw he had a gun and started shooting striking the man. The man started to flee and the cop carefully shot at him twice more with only a few seconds between. The cop then called 911 and started yelling “POLICE POLICE DROP YOUR WEAPON” to the man dying on the ground. Had the van’s driver not been on the phone on a recorded line with roadside assistance, the officer would have got away with it. Instead he was convicted of manslaughter (for the initial shooting on approach) and attempted first degree murder for trying and failing to shoot the fleeing man in the back. There was enough time between the different sets of shots to determine that the cop had thought about what happened and knew he had to kill the fleeing victim to save his job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Also good.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you'd like to read the opinion, here it is: https://www.5dca.org/content/download/633846/7202085/file/190802_DC03_04152020_114402_i.pdf

The tl:dr; breakdown is this: 65 year old retired auto worker and part time security guard lets his niece move in with him. He knows that she's got drug problems and has turned tricks from time to time to support this habit. However, he does nothing to support her habit and tries to keep her clean. On the night of the incident, she was set up in a police sting. Her john and two other undercover police officers show up at the house. When she answers the door, the john reaches into the house, grabs her arm, and yanks her outside. She rightfully struggles with the men on the porch and begins yelling for help. Her uncle comes outside with his lawfully owned weapon and steps onto the porch. The police fall back and fan out in the yard. None of them say that they're police officers. Uncle fires warning shot in the air telling them to get the gently caress off his property. They open fire on the uncle and niece striking both. He returns fire, critically wounds one officer, and misses the other. Gets arrested and charged with three counts of first degree attempted murder of a law enforcement officer. At court raises that he is entitled to immunity Florida's stand your ground statute. The trial court determines that Uncle did not carry his burden and denies. The DCA overrules that saying the state has the burden, and orders the trial court to determine if the state proved by clear and convincing evidence that Uncle was 1. aware that the three assailants were police officers and 2. whether Uncle used his home for criminal activity. The trial court found the state did not prove that they identified themselves as police but held that because he was aware of his niece's prostitution, that his home was used for furthering criminal activity. Thus, once again, he was not immune. The 5th DCA again heard the case and said that mere knowledge that someone has committed some crime doesn't mean you're actively working to further that criminal activity. The state showed nothing more than Uncle's awareness that his Niece had struggled with drugs and had solicited before. They did not show that Uncle helped in any way, made money off of it, or did anything at all to further said criminal activity.

Now Uncle is absolutely immune from all criminal or civil suit regarding the circumstances, and he can probably sue the sheriff's office for what they did to him and his niece.

Good. Eventually.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

I'd be a little worried because he fired a warning shot, but otherwise he was well within his rights to protect his niece from a bunch of unidentified armed men trying to pull her out of his house.

Undercover cops shouldn't get any special treatment by the law if they're just randomly attacking people like that (from the perspective of any reasonable bystander).

Couldn't agree more. I have no knowledge of UC poo poo at all. But those cops loving suck at their jobs. Aside from the fact that they're going against a vulnerable sex worker for a quick arrest (instead of going against a john, or better yet, going for pimps and sex traffickers instead of the vulnerable workers), they set up a sting at her house? What the gently caress? Bad, bad tactics. And having the john pull her out of the house? What the gently caress? And not identifying themselves as police immediately, nor wearing a police raid jacket? Honestly surprised they never got shot before this.

Glad the uncle and girl are okay.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

Couldn't agree more. I have no knowledge of UC poo poo at all. But those cops loving suck at their jobs. Aside from the fact that they're going against a vulnerable sex worker for a quick arrest (instead of going against a john, or better yet, going for pimps and sex traffickers instead of the vulnerable workers)

then they'd actually risk their own hide though

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven’t read the dismissed information against him, but this is correct. A second to think about what you’re doing is enough to satisfy the premeditation. For example, a cop shot and killed a man who was with his disabled van following a gig his band had played. The cop did not identify himself. He walked up and said “you ok?” To which the van’s owner said he’s good. The cop yelled it again and the man replied the same. The cop saw he had a gun and started shooting striking the man. The man started to flee and the cop carefully shot at him twice more with only a few seconds between. The cop then called 911 and started yelling “POLICE POLICE DROP YOUR WEAPON” to the man dying on the ground. Had the van’s driver not been on the phone on a recorded line with roadside assistance, the officer would have got away with it. Instead he was convicted of manslaughter (for the initial shooting on approach) and attempted first degree murder for trying and failing to shoot the fleeing man in the back. There was enough time between the different sets of shots to determine that the cop had thought about what happened and knew he had to kill the fleeing victim to save his job.

Guy fired warning shot, armed men shoot him and his niece, he fires back and hits one. I don't know if there's any caselaw on malice aforethought being developed within moments after having been fired upon and shot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Guy fired warning shot, armed men shoot him and his niece, he fires back and hits one. I don't know if there's any caselaw on malice aforethought being developed within moments after having been fired upon and shot.

Walking out of his house and firing a shot is more than enough to establish that he intended to kill someone. Because that intent was grounded in defense of his home and family, though, he is immune to criminal and civil liability.

Crazy enough if FL was not a SYG state he could still be facing charges. This is one of the rare situations and he’s only free to go because none of the three sheriff’s deputies did anything at all to identify themselves as cops.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh hey, it's that time again!

:nms:https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1255251138401665024:nms:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The department in question put out this statement:

https://www.ranchocordovapd.com/Home/Components/News/News/4044/2312

quote:

Note: These are the facts as we understand them at this time. This investigation is in its infancy and the facts as we understand them now are subject to change as we conduct a more thorough and complete examination of the circumstances surrounding this incident.

On April 27, 2020, a Problem Oriented Policing (POP) Officer with the Rancho Cordova Police Department was proactively patrolling the area of Mills Station Road and Mather Field Road. The deputy was in the area due to complaints from citizens about hand-to-hand sales of alcohol, tobacco and drugs to minors.

It’s important to put video footage into context, especially in relation to a use of force incident. In this case, the deputy saw what he believed to be a hand-to-hand exchange between an adult and juvenile. As the deputy turned around, he lost sight of the adult, who left the area. When the deputy approached the juvenile, the juvenile was uncooperative and refused to give the deputy basic identifying information. He told the deputy he was 18 years old. Having reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was occurring, the deputy attempted to detain the juvenile so he could conduct further investigation. The juvenile became physically resistive at that time, causing the deputy to lose control of his handcuffs, which landed several feet away. The deputy attempted to maintain control of the juvenile without his handcuffs and while alone waiting for his partners to arrive and assist him.

Ultimately, the deputy recovered tobacco products from the 14-year-old juvenile, which is presumably the reason for his resistance. The juvenile was cited and released to his guardians.

This type of situation is hard on everyone--the young man, who resisted arrest, and the officer, who would much rather have him cooperate. The community should know our deputies have a heart for the Rancho Cordova community, especially for the youth they serve through the schools, PAL sports, and our new Youth Center.

These are the facts as we know them. The Sheriff’s Office and Rancho Cordova Police Department, however, have proactively started an investigation into the use of force by our deputy in order to gain a complete and thorough understanding of the events that took place during this incident. Maintaining the public trust and remaining transparent are of paramount importance to the Sheriff’s Office and Rancho Cordova Police Department.

At least those blunt wraps are off the street!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

“Police brutality is often harder on the officer” says actual scum from dumpster lid

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

white people, lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Now I'm curious. To a rational observer, what action would justify beating the poo poo out of an unarmed 14 year old over contraband?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The given justification is that the kid threw the handcuffs. I'm not seeing the connecting logic to go from that to "punch a child in the face" though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Liquid Communism posted:

Now I'm curious. To a rational observer, what action would justify beating the poo poo out of an unarmed 14 year old over contraband?

black people, much like Tieflings with the Fiendish Heritage feat, develop the supernatural power to grow weapons from their body once a day

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Congratulations Chicago your police really put down that threat of a man who was *Checks notes Moving from one train car to another

https://apnews.com/6d264b727ffdb6077c651730d2e45561

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Harukio/status/1255875330218352640

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

That defeats the entire loving point. loving stupid.

That's just as stupid as the idiots not wearing the masks correctly in the first place.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 1, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/pervaizistan/status/1258817226037178371?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Cops in Louisville execute raid on the wrong address looking for a guy already in custody, failing to announce themselves and sparking a gunfight with a lawful gun owner. Said gun owner's girlfriend, the person renting the apartment, was an EMT and aspiring nurse, and got killed in the crossfire. The boyfriend has now been charged with first-degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

With the facts presented as they are in that article, I would hope it was the cops facing charges of assault and murder.