Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I will never forget when a WRX of that vintage tried to "race me" when I was cruising in my hairdresser Mustang, pulled along side, dropped a gear, took off, and then *bang!* pooped hot side bits of its turbo out of the ridiculous, and apparently cat and mufflerless fart pipe.

Guess it was the first street race I ever won!

(I had cruise set to 5 over the whole time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just had a super weird interaction - my house is adjacent to an alley, and on the other side of the alley, there's a store. People frequently stop in the alley, often even blocking (as in, IN) our driveway, which I've on occasion had to say something and convince people to move out of our driveway. Today, though, there was a guy stopped in the alley, not blocking my driveway, which is to say ... I couldn't give less of a poo poo that he was there.

I did, however, get my new grinder today, which I was super excited about. I took it out to the garage, spent a moment pondering whether it would fit in an old tool storage box, ultimately deciding it wouldn't. Here's where I apparently went wrong - I walked out of the garage, into the back lot (still entirely within my fenced in property) and walked to the dumpster parked back there to throw away the box I'd decided wasn't useful. As soon as I came into view, this guy, stooped down at the back of his car, jumped up, spun around, and immediately began saying, loudly "You good? You good? You good? ..." (he seriously repeated it for at least 30 seconds, if not much longer).

So, listen. I'm on my private property. I'm putting something in the trash, I was not looking to interact with anybody, and if all that weren't enough, you're already acting fuckin' weird. So I didn't say anything. I threw the trash in the can, then stood next to it, observing him, silently. When it became obvious he was going to continue trying to force me to interact with him, I reached for my phone in my pocket - maybe to record him but I'm not honestly sure that I'd decided that.

As soon as he sees me do this, he yells "THAT A GUN? YOU GOT A GUN?"

This, of course, changed my plan. Look, I'm not looking to cause anyone grief, and frankly, I couldn't give a poo poo if you are hanging out in the alley. But if your first instinct when seeing someone on their private property doing absolutely nothing that has anything to do with you is so utterly aggressive, gently caress it, you can talk to the cops.

I get times are weird right now but what the gently caress, man.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I feel like I'm really running out of patience for my current job. Things started out so well there, it seemed like they cared about their employees, advancement was quick, and things seemed nice.
But now that one rear end in a top hat has essentially seized control, things are so much more frustrating.

Like, if I got out on a job, and get a specific set of measurements, ask the guy telling me if he needs anything. Like, no, are you absolutely sure, and he says he's good, I'm gonna assume he's good. He's ordered and exhaust fan before. He knows everything that goes into it.

But no. It's still somehow my fault, because "I should assume we don't have any of the right measurements on any job."

So like, I shouldn't trust anyone to do their job correctly? I shouldn't trust anyone I work with to do the job their paid for. WTF.

Between that, and the looming threat of pay cuts, which for the guys at our level, would be a double pay cut, with reduced hours and hourly rates, I'm seriously just on autopilot at this point. I see no reason to give anything extra, especially since I'm not being given the time for the office stuff I'd usually do.

gently caress it, maybe I'll move back to FL at this point, but these last few weeks have been super frustrating.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

So what you're saying is you need a new avatar. OR Can I ask you about your LAND CRUISER?

(yeah I know, someone removed the red text ages ago) :v:

I'd never even heard of the Tremor before.

I never had that, I think you're thinking of Ferremit?

Yeah I didn't know the Tremor existed a week ago. Whatevs, the 7.3 is cool. Re: tires, don't care about MPG, they'll be fine.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just discovered a circuit in my house that has over 20 devices on it.

Thank you, previous owner.

Update: This circuit no longer exists, total device count was 26 + 1 unknown branch to shrugsville.

I did however, manage to build an oscillator out of my house's wiring and basement lights. Wire a light fixture across neutral? 1 flash per second. Wire it across hot? 2 flashes per second, but only if you use LED bulbs. CFLs and incandescents stay solid on.

E: I did a dumb, see if you can figure it out.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 8, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Goodwood Revival is live right now which is strange considering what's going on right now but gently caress it, classics racing is cool.

*edit: pre-lockdown racing

https://youtu.be/h-aX2T2FF9s

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ExplodingSims posted:

I feel like I'm really running out of patience for my current job. Things started out so well there, it seemed like they cared about their employees, advancement was quick, and things seemed nice.
But now that one rear end in a top hat has essentially seized control, things are so much more frustrating.

Like, if I got out on a job, and get a specific set of measurements, ask the guy telling me if he needs anything. Like, no, are you absolutely sure, and he says he's good, I'm gonna assume he's good. He's ordered and exhaust fan before. He knows everything that goes into it.

But no. It's still somehow my fault, because "I should assume we don't have any of the right measurements on any job."

So like, I shouldn't trust anyone to do their job correctly? I shouldn't trust anyone I work with to do the job their paid for. WTF.

Between that, and the looming threat of pay cuts, which for the guys at our level, would be a double pay cut, with reduced hours and hourly rates, I'm seriously just on autopilot at this point. I see no reason to give anything extra, especially since I'm not being given the time for the office stuff I'd usually do.

gently caress it, maybe I'll move back to FL at this point, but these last few weeks have been super frustrating.

That sucks dude.

In a similar vein of corporate ignorance.. corporate has dismantled my group and given the pieces to different areas of the company. This is concerning because the group I'm now in has had massive layoffs recently, whereas my now old group has not. Combined with pay cuts and unknown changes to how things will operate moving forward, I'm not feeling they love either right now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Goodwood Revival is live right now which is strange considering what's going on right now but gently caress it, classics racing is cool.

*edit: pre-lockdown racing

https://youtu.be/h-aX2T2FF9s

Million buck utterly irreplaceable cars being thrown about and wrung to the very edge by lunatic owners or pro drivers. If you don't love this, what the gently caress are you doing in AI?

Bucket list for me is go photo a Revival. Get all the big lenses and al the cameras for a few days of just glorious watching and taking piles of photos

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah same here. Might have to plan it for next summer. Road trip there and maybe combine with another bucket list road trip (following the allied invasion starting on the normandy beaches). Just have to get enough time off for it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Going to the revival was my vacation for this year. Had the time booked off and plane tickets purchased. It was supposed to be Revival and then rent an Aston and run the Penis-287.

That has now been postponed to next year (hopefully).

Edit: Goodwood Revival 2021 AI Goon-meet?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Million buck utterly irreplaceable cars being thrown about and wrung to the very edge by lunatic owners or pro drivers. If you don't love this, what the gently caress are you doing in AI?

Bucket list for me is go photo a Revival. Get all the big lenses and al the cameras for a few days of just glorious watching and taking piles of photos

It's a lot easier to wreck a million dollar car if you're a billionaire, it's true!

Tremek posted:

Truck man trucks

You're a madman, in the best sense of the word.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jonathan posted:

Interesting purchase. The big tires suck for towing. I'd consider getting some f350 factory takeoffs for when you're towing. You'll get better mileage but more importantly, way better towing manners. And craigslist oem takeoffs with 0 miles are usually pretty cheap. The more sturdy tire pumped up to 70 or 80psi will do wonders in rutted up roads and especially crosswinds at hwy speed.

On a longer trip, the mental fatigue gets really bothersome when you're always concentrating on the tail wagging the dog.

Tremek posted:

Word, Grand Design is at the top of my list but I'm not finding many around here that fit the bill. Jayco may not be quite AS well-built as Grand Design but I get the impression it's well-regarded too.

It's never been my thing, so I haven't looked into it, but out of curiousity, here's a couple stupid questions --

At what point do you switch to a fifth wheel? The one Tremek linked looks really long. Also, do people ride IN the trailer during transit, or do you need to pack into the truck?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Just had a super weird interaction -

Sounds like the guy was on drugs, mentally ill or both. In my experience doing security and dealing with aggressive high and/or mentally ill people, your best bet is to completely ignore them (while watching them in your peripheral), walk away and wait until you're completely out of their sight to call the police. Once they see you pull out your phone they either flip out or run. You need to give them the impression that they have nothing to worry about and let them flip out on the cops when they get there, it's what they get paid to deal with.

ExplodingSims posted:

Florida loves you and welcomes you back with open arms :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Florida loves you and welcomes you back with open arms :)

It's a trap!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

That's frustrating, man, sorry you have to deal with it. Like, why do some people just seem to want to make your job more difficult for no good reason?

meatpimp posted:

It's never been my thing, so I haven't looked into it, but out of curiousity, here's a couple stupid questions --

At what point do you switch to a fifth wheel? The one Tremek linked looks really long. Also, do people ride IN the trailer during transit, or do you need to pack into the truck?

Not sure on the first point, but it's more weight than physical size. To the second point, you're not supposed to be in the trailer when it's moving. Most of them, you wouldn't want to be, anyway - the slideouts block access when they're closed.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Darchangel posted:

That's frustrating, man, sorry you have to deal with it. Like, why do some people just seem to want to make your job more difficult for no good reason?

It's bascially one guy too. He started out as a tech, but he got in at the right time, and said all the right things to the owner, that he got promoted all the way up to VP.
But he doesn't know everything, and constantly has to inject himself into things he doesn't have time for, or isn't a part of to try and look smart. But it just ends up annoying everyone. And since he headed up startimg up the residential branch of the company, his ego has been through the roof, about how he can do so much and bring so much to the company,

Though, the problem with the office is there's no cohesion with anyone there. Its like 5 different people all with their own plans and goals, and they won't work together, and they certainly won't have your back if ask for help. And no one in the upper management ever faces any consequences for their fuckups.

Its all so frustrating. They pay has been good, but that's been about it. This is really kinda straining my desire to stay there, but its been hard to look at any other options.
Pretty much any other company out there has a bunch of boomer entrenched in their positions there, so there's not much mobility elsewhere. And plenty of other places treat their employees even worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

It's bascially one guy too. He started out as a tech, but he got in at the right time, and said all the right things to the owner, that he got promoted all the way up to VP.
But he doesn't know everything, and constantly has to inject himself into things he doesn't have time for, or isn't a part of to try and look smart. But it just ends up annoying everyone. And since he headed up startimg up the residential branch of the company, his ego has been through the roof, about how he can do so much and bring so much to the company,

Though, the problem with the office is there's no cohesion with anyone there. Its like 5 different people all with their own plans and goals, and they won't work together, and they certainly won't have your back if ask for help. And no one in the upper management ever faces any consequences for their fuckups.

Its all so frustrating. They pay has been good, but that's been about it. This is really kinda straining my desire to stay there, but its been hard to look at any other options.
Pretty much any other company out there has a bunch of boomer entrenched in their positions there, so there's not much mobility elsewhere. And plenty of other places treat their employees even worse.

If you wanna move to Indiana and get into medical manufacturing my employer is going to be hiring again in June.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Alternatively a friend of mine works at an HVAC shop in or near Eugene if you want a recommendation. I don't know if they're hiring however.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

If the only thing good is the pay then yeah it's probably time to move on, it's never worth it if you don't respect/like the people you work with. And it will probably never get better, once a culture is established it usually takes a complete re haul to change it.

Taking a pay cut to work at a better place where you'll be happy is not a bad thing.

[e] I came back to Florida after leaving because I wanted a change, no shame in that. It made me appreciate the tropical climate even more after living in Buffalo for two years :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 8, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For real, not hating your job is an amazing feeling. I only hate one person on my shift and his stupid rear end got a written warning for inciting panic in a time of crisis so I expect he won't be around much longer since he can't keep his mouth shut.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hell even if you like your job you should always be keepin an eye out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hell even if you like your job you should always be keepin an eye out

Well, with unemployment hitting great depression numbers, jumping ship can be risky as gently caress right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

Well, with unemployment hitting great depression numbers, jumping ship can be risky as gently caress right now.

note that I said LOOKING

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

Thats the other thing that's keeping me from jumping right now. Like, even if I got a "better" job, would it still be there by the end of summer?

If the only thing good is the pay then yeah it's probably time to move on, it's never worth it if you don't respect/like the people you work with. And it will probably never get better, once a culture is established it usually takes a complete re haul to change it.

Taking a pay cut to work at a better place where you'll be happy is not a bad thing.

[e] I came back to Florida after leaving because I wanted a change, no shame in that. It made me appreciate the tropical climate even more after living in Buffalo for two years :v:

Its not the end of the world, but the only thing with jumping back to FL would involve a pretty significant pay cut. Like I'm at 35/hr now, and I'd pretty much have to take a 10/hr paycut.
And that's for something I'm not even sure that I want.

I'm not sure if I'm just being nostalgic for Florida because thats when I remember being the happiest, or if its just depression clouding my mind again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope you can figure this out man.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

To the second point, you're not supposed to be in the trailer when it's moving. Most of them, you wouldn't want to be, anyway - the slideouts block access when they're closed.

Usually, they are also about as safe in a crash as a wet paper bag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ExplodingSims posted:

He sounds like the perfect candidate for VP then!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Thats the other thing that's keeping me from jumping right now. Like, even if I got a "better" job, would it still be there by the end of summer?

Its not the end of the world, but the only thing with jumping back to FL would involve a pretty significant pay cut. Like I'm at 35/hr now, and I'd pretty much have to take a 10/hr paycut.
And that's for something I'm not even sure that I want.

I'm not sure if I'm just being nostalgic for Florida because thats when I remember being the happiest, or if its just depression clouding my mind again.

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure in Florida you would always have work, the a/c dependency here isn't going anywhere until the apocalypse.

If you're unsure about coming back to FL, try taking a week or two vacation back home (IIRC you have family here?) and see how you feel. When we did it that's when I knew we were coming back, I really didn't want to go back to NY after our vacation and about a year later we were back permanently. No regrets, it was a good experience overall living in NY but at least we gave it a shot and know now that this is where we want to stay.....We almost bought a house in NY lol glad that didn't happen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Which leads to my next question -- when do you decide to get a bus instead of a truck/trailer setup? Are buses / motorhomes that much more expensive?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Which leads to my next question -- when do you decide to get a bus instead of a truck/trailer setup? Are buses / motorhomes that much more expensive?

Motorhomes always seem like a worse idea - when you get to your destination with a truck/trailer, you can unhook the truck and use it like a normal vehicle.
When you are in a motorhome, you need to pull a small car or something as you can't drive a huge thing easily around town.

Also engines etc wear out in a motorhome, but you can always buy a new truck (though from all the posts it seems that everything else leaks/breaks etc after a few years instead).

This is from my grandparents experience with a 1972 home done conversion van - so maybe modern/non-home made motorhomes are better. Though the neighbours motorhome seems to spend more time at the repair shop on warranty (a 3 ish year old large box motorhome) than it does in their driveway. They use it for 4 months a year, and basically leaks every time.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The jump from a nice travel trailer(Grand Design Reflection) to a class A diesel pusher (thor, winnebago) will cost you at least $150k. So when people have that kind of cash and want to move up they do.

My inlaws have a 2017 winnebago forza. The major reason for the upgrade was being able to use the restroom and move around while rolling down the road. It sleeps more people as well. Quality wise, they all have problems, the bigger ones just have more expensive problems.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure in Florida you would always have work, the a/c dependency here isn't going anywhere until the apocalypse.

You have read the news recently, right? :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I think under the ocean it's fairly consistent temps.

Unrelated, I have a few hundred in painting supplies on the way, the wheels are going to be Kandy root beer + some additional burgundy and or black to darken it up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

You have read the news recently, right? :v:

Touche :golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That, too.

meatpimp posted:

blindjoe posted:

Motorhomes always seem like a worse idea - when you get to your destination with a truck/trailer, you can unhook the truck and use it like a normal vehicle.
When you are in a motorhome, you need to pull a small car or something as you can't drive a huge thing easily around town.

Also engines etc wear out in a motorhome, but you can always buy a new truck (though from all the posts it seems that everything else leaks/breaks etc after a few years instead).

This is from my grandparents experience with a 1972 home done conversion van - so maybe modern/non-home made motorhomes are better. Though the neighbours motorhome seems to spend more time at the repair shop on warranty (a 3 ish year old large box motorhome) than it does in their driveway. They use it for 4 months a year, and basically leaks every time.

That seems right to me.
I'd think a motorhome might make sense if you were traveling a lot, but a trailer you can park when not traveling and still use the tow vehicle as needed. You can also pick the tow vehicle to meet your style and needs. Probably easier to sell the trailer, too, if one no longer needs/wants to travel.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Give us a shout if you do it, Goodwood is like an hour from here. Hmm, UKAI Goodwood Meet...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

blindjoe posted:

There are pros and cons of both motorhomes and trailers.

Modern motorhomes over here are built on commercial vans so the base vehicle will easily outlast the conversion and if you do end up with any issues then getting them fixed is cheap and easy!
It is however a vehicle that will end up sitting over winter whereas you can keep driving your tow truck and just leave the trailer parked up.

I think a motorhome is a lot less stressful to drive than it is to tow a trailer, but when you park up exploring around your destination is not as easy in a motorhome as you cant just leave it setup and drive off like you can in a trailer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

yes. Even schoolies have gained enough traction with the younger crowd that they're no longer really cheap unless it's hacked together with builder's grade left ups. A decent used diesel pusher will be on par with a bus conversion cost wise. Both will be hit or miss in terms of the condition of the drivetrain or the living quarters.
If you can afford new, go new. If you can't afford new, bring your box of skills and a bag of patience.

The biggest downside of a classA/bus is when it breaks down, your house is broken down. There's goodsam programs that'll help with towing something of that size. It can be quite stressful to deal with.

I came very close to buying a 38'ish 5th wheel toyhauler last year and backed out. 40' trailers are gonna be quite hard to park just anywhere. Something of that size is going to own you and you'll need to plan your moves days in advance as well as alternatives in case the spot you pick cannot accommodate your vehicle.

If the bearing or something shits on your travel trailer, you can uncouple and go get it taken care of. Or vise versa if your tow vehicle breaks. Not really possible with a van/bus/classA/B/C. The two also depreciate independently if that matters to you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Does anyone that lives in a container house load it up on a semi and go 'RVing'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

taqueso posted:

Does anyone that lives in a container house load it up on a semi and go 'RVing'?

I'd assume not, almost every conversion on one of those I've seen compromises the not great to begin with structural integrity enough that anything but sitting in place is a collapse risk.