Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Hekk posted:

I am not far behind you. Looking to be done sometime in November. It’s a weird feeling knowing I am so close.

Congrats!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Thanks to everyone for the replies on unmanned boats, that was educational.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
So I just some locally done surgery and now I apparently have orders to San Diego because apparently limdu disqualifies you instantly for being overseas even if you're being treated overseas. :V

Pro: I can get out of the F18 community
Con: The NLT is next month and I have a family, pets, and of course goods to move and a car to dump for what wouldn't surprise me to be a temp gig.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CMD598 posted:

So I just some locally done surgery and now I apparently have orders to San Diego because apparently limdu disqualifies you instantly for being overseas even if you're being treated overseas. :V

Pro: I can get out of the F18 community
Con: The NLT is next month and I have a family, pets, and of course goods to move and a car to dump for what wouldn't surprise me to be a temp gig.

What’s wrong with the F-18 community?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry if this was posted in this thread and I missed it, but it looks like if you are a coronavirus survivor you are barred from entering the service for the time being. Wonder if this has implications for those that did contract it while serving.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sorry if this was posted in this thread and I missed it, but it looks like if you are a coronavirus survivor you are barred from entering the service for the time being. Wonder if this has implications for those that did contract it while serving.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/

I’d imagine if it was a free ticket to separation it would be a out of control.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

piL posted:

:eng101:
Hey Sailor, going my way to the library?

I'm participating in discussion through a military society and utilizing new technologies for learning (FITREP bullet! :eng101: Posting history: Significant Problems :eng99:)

Scene: near future, fitrep debrief for an O-2

***UNLIMITED POSTING POTENTIAL***

Effortful Poster. Dedicated to spreading platitudes online. Frequently blogs about leadership experience with a readership in the dozens of unique hits per month. Followed by over 100 accounts on Twitter. Successfully engaged 2 flag officers in threads without being dunked on this reporting period. Led local JOPA GroupMe in number of messages posted.

...really though, this seems like it might actually be okay. I wonder what guidance they'll put out on whether someone's AMU masters work in criminology or "military history" is as valuable as a real university.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1258796639898263554?s=20

Accurate ARG/MEU life

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Thirty years after the fact, I can step onto a ship museum and the wave of paint/brine/diesel/mildew makes me suddenly back there again faster than anything on display.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hope it smells like amine.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

Hope it smells like amine.

I think you mean Hentai. And rack curtains that stand up on their own

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Red Crown posted:

Scene: near future, fitrep debrief for an O-2

...really though, this seems like it might actually be okay. I wonder what guidance they'll put out on whether someone's AMU masters work in criminology or "military history" is as valuable as a real university.

The purist in me wants to make that distinction, but I think it might be better for the force if we consider moving the needle right sufficient and normalize doing it. If its the standard, then getting room to pursue traditional university credits will be easier and while I suspect the value add of AMU work is less, the objective at lower levels is to go from none to some and the objective at higher levels appears to be facilitating capabilities for others.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Holy poo poo. The two weeks of ROM that ECRC is putting everyone through doesn't include the week of admin processing. So, I'm going to be down there for three weeks sitting on my rear end doing even less than I'm doing at home right now.

And this doesn't include the two weeks of ROM mandated by the country I'm deploying to. I've been on orders for 5 weeks, and it'll be another 5 weeks before I even step foot in my billet. >_>

They better not extend my rear end over this.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Search your heart and you'll know what is true. Navy's gonna gently caress you

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Holy poo poo. The two weeks of ROM that ECRC is putting everyone through doesn't include the week of admin processing. So, I'm going to be down there for three weeks sitting on my rear end doing even less than I'm doing at home right now.

And this doesn't include the two weeks of ROM mandated by the country I'm deploying to. I've been on orders for 5 weeks, and it'll be another 5 weeks before I even step foot in my billet. >_>

ROM?

Yeah I’ve been on orders since 28DEC. For officially more than half that time I’ve been at my house waiting around.

Still no date but the ship I’m attached to did just pass sea trials so maybe soon?

Didn’t you get the notice of expect to be extended to late July 2021?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Restriction of Movement. The Navy is starting to build a two week ROM into most orders now since everyone has to make sure they don't have the 'rona before going to their new command. If it's the same area this isn't the case, but traveling across the country/from another continent? Have fun sitting in your hotel for two weeks doing nothing!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Restriction of Movement. The Navy is starting to build a two week ROM into most orders now since everyone has to make sure they don't have the 'rona before going to their new command. If it's the same area this isn't the case, but traveling across the country/from another continent? Have fun sitting in your hotel for two weeks doing nothing!

Welp that’s what a switch is for I suppose.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Welp that’s what a switch is for I suppose.

I wasn't planning on lugging my PS4 with me overseas, but if I'm going to be sitting on my rear end for five weeks, I might as well play FF7R.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I wasn't planning on lugging my PS4 with me overseas, but if I'm going to be sitting on my rear end for five weeks, I might as well play FF7R.

I honestly considering it but it’s just too drat big. If I wasn’t going to a ship then maybe.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I honestly considering it but it’s just too drat big. If I wasn’t going to a ship then maybe.

Someone on the ship will have a PS4 set up with at least a 55 inch TV. Just make friends.

The DC shop on the Boxer had all the consoles, a 65 inch TV, surround sound and most of a sectional couch in their space back in 2008. I was impressed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Someone on the ship will have a PS4 set up with at least a 55 inch TV. Just make friends.

The DC shop on the Boxer had all the consoles, a 65 inch TV, surround sound and most of a sectional couch in their space back in 2008. I was impressed.

Yeah. There’s only 32 of us total but I’m sure someone will.

I’ve been in communication with my shipmates. I mentioned my wife is making masks should I bring some extra and he mentioned theirs was falling apart from use and he wouldn’t mind if I brought oh, as many as I could.

gently caress. Well sure why not.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What’s wrong with the F-18 community?

Gettin' used like a rented mule then getting told you have like no option for orders that aren't VFA-122. Also between ~the mission~ and the bird itself good luck getting any good NECs out of it, sometimes good luck just getting the Qual you're supposed to have.

From my observations.

Also ROM is just a stupid acronym to say quarantine. I'm expecting it exists so it hurts less when the DOD says gently caress it and rips it off like a bandaid that's begun to slide around in a few weeks.

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 10, 2020

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Quarantine is what you do for people who have actually tested positive.

ROM is because we can't be assed to actually test people we're worried might be infected, so we just pre-emptively quarantine them to see if they get sick or not.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

ROM is because we can't be assed to actually test people we're worried might be infected, so we just pre-emptively quarantine them to see if they get sick or not.

Some of the requirements when under ROM include taking your own temperature twice a day and contacting ECRC staff before you contact the hospital if you start to suffer symptoms requiring medical assistance. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

If I wanted to smell like that I'd just take another volunteer job on the Midway and leave my clothes there overnight. That smell doesn't go away.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Iran did a whoopsie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/world/middleeast/iran-ship-dead.html

quote:

An Iranian naval vessel was hit by a missile fired from another ship during a military exercise in the Sea of Oman on Sunday, an apparent friendly-fire episode that left at least 19 people dead, Iran’s Navy said.

Official details of the incident were scant, and the navy said that 15 other people were injured. But four people with knowledge of the incident said that the ship, identified as the missile boat Konarak, was hit and sunk by a missile from the frigate Jamaran by mistake. They spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid reprisal from Iranian officials.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

:eng101: Isolation is what you do with people who have tested positive or showed symptoms. Quarantine is what you do with people who may have been exposed while you wait to see if they show symptoms.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You're thinking of isolation. Quarantine is for suspected cases or exposure to known cases to wait out incubation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, isolation is for people who have tested positive, quarantine is for people who may have been exposed, ROM is for gently caress you get back in your hole until we let you out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Project 949 is on amazon prime. You can see just how hosed up the Kursk got and how badly Putin handled it, but you can tell they dressed it up a bit so they could get actual footage.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got my ordermod with permission to travel during the ban. Looks like I'm heading Naples after all.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Got my ordermod with permission to travel during the ban. Looks like I'm heading Naples after all.

Arrivederci!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Arrivederci!

I'm gonna be the first sailor to travel to Europe and save money. Not gonna be able to do poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm gonna be the first sailor to travel to Europe and save money. Not gonna be able to do poo poo.

Italy's starting to relax restrictions, but their relaxed restrictions make ours look like even more of a joke.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Not true!

Going to Italy in August saves toy a ton of money because it's hot as balls and the whole country is on vacation.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Looks like I’m going to pull the trigger on aggressively trying to get out early since my c-school application has hung out in limbo for 5 months and my window is closing.

C school was a dumb idea anyway, given that I’ve been hosed super hard on orders by the Navy twice and no matter how high speed of a nec I earn or how good my package is the Navy will somehow find a way to give me an office job at a garbage command based upon my experience.

I’m going to try and get a friend in the chiefs mess with some juice to see if they can get me into the early out program for my rate (I’m a few months off) and if that doesn’t work I’m going to have to sell my soul part time to the air guard or something and try to apply for a conditional release for cross-commissioning, since I’d probably have about the same obligation length before I can IRR anyway.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Told the reefer tech to keep both house AC units on since I've only gotten two complaints over how cold it is in the accommodations. It's good to be 1st.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yo they updated my travel plans again but I don’t understand the wording besides “go where my team goes”.

The new plan is to have the team fly to Rota vice Naples due to ROM requirements in Naples.

Does this mean we will take a time out in a Rota hotel?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Yo they updated my travel plans again but I don’t understand the wording besides “go where my team goes”.

The new plan is to have the team fly to Rota vice Naples due to ROM requirements in Naples.

Does this mean we will take a time out in a Rota hotel?

Likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1260663257041457166?s=19

Monumental black shoe energy in that tweet