Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Chocobo posted:

Last recommendation request was very successful, so I'll try something different:

Recommend to me your #1 absolute favorite anime ever, with no context, description, or limitations. Series, OVA, whatever, lets hear it, but limit it to one please!

non non biyori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chocobo posted:

Last recommendation request was very successful, so I'll try something different:

Recommend to me your #1 absolute favorite anime ever, with no context, description, or limitations. Series, OVA, whatever, lets hear it, but limit it to one please!

FLCL!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Patlabor

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chocobo posted:

Changes depending on my mood, but most often Mushishi

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chocobo posted:

Ping Pong since everything I think that's better has been recommended already and I feel that it's criminally underrated

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Chocobo posted:

Haruhi

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chocobo posted:

Madoka Magica

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RabidWeasel posted:

Ping Pong since everything I think that's better has been recommended already and I feel that it's criminally underrated

I was debating this or Planetes for my favorite. Planetes definitely if you include the manga and just delete the Ninja episode.

That Works fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 1, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chocobo posted:

Kino no Tabi (2003)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chocobo posted:

GorfZaplen posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chocobo posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chocobo posted:

Escaflowne

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm bad at choosing favorites of anything, so I'm just going to say Tokyo Godfathers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chocobo posted:

Shirobako.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Chocobo posted:

I think I'll go with "gundam thunderbolt: december sky"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ninjewtsu posted:

:dudsmile:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Chocobo posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chocobo posted:

Starmyu

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

a kitten posted:

Madoka Magica

Madoka Magi-

gently caress

I've got the avatar, I WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY THIS

:(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mysterious kitty beats Kyubey. I don't make the rules. Sorry. :shrug:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

In that case, I'll recommend the great show Kaiba, leaving you to wonder if it's really my favorite show or if I just offered a half-truth, since I never outright said Kaiba would be my #1

That way, I can recommend an extremely good anime, be very salty AND stay in character

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure why I like Ping Pong. Sprinted through half of it and was questioning myself the entire time.

I slammed through a bunch more Mushishi, definitely dig it but I'm in no hurry to finish it.

Everything Burrito posted:

House of Five Leaves
Watched a few episodes, I get a strong Mushishi vibe from the art and pacing. I'll probably add this to my slowcooker (dip into it when I'm bored).

quote:

Really dig the pseudo-retro art style.

quote:

Not the first time I've been recommended this, I'll make it a priority.

I'm not ignoring everyone elses' suggestions, I'll work through them. Thanks mates.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Chocobo posted:

Kyousougiga

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm thinking of binging one of those big animes like Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Big-O, some sort of Gundam, or One Piece, because I have so much free time now, and absolutely nothing to watch while i play video games.

Which would be best for me?

My favorite Anime is Mononoke (not the ghibli movie)

These I've really enjoyed:

Black Lagoon
Dragonball Z
Yuyu hakusho
Jo Jo (with the season with extremely rude JoJo being my favorite.)
Hellsing was really cool when I was 13
The Dub of Ghost Stories
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Neuro: Supernatural Detective
The 7 Deadly Sins
The Devil is a part timer
That robot one on netflix with the shapeshifting coin operated car
Carol & Tuesday

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dude

hunter x hunter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm thinking of binging one of those big animes like Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Big-O, some sort of Gundam, or One Piece, because I have so much free time now, and absolutely nothing to watch while i play video games.

Hunter x Hunter

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
OH it has to be dubbed too. Still Hunter x Hunter?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'd say Yu Yu Hakusho, which, funnily enough, is by the same mangaka as Hunter x Hunter :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Julias posted:

I'd say Yu Yu Hakusho, which, funnily enough, is by the same mangaka as Hunter x Hunter :v:

it's right there on the list of things he's already seen, it's why we're recommending HxH :v:

anyways i have no opinion on HxH's dub beyond my opinion on all dubs, but it has one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one piece anime past a certain point gets very bad, so the more common recommendation is to read it, not watch it. There's even a colorized version.

Big O might be good for semi-watching, you can just not really focus too hard on it until you hear Roger yell "BIG O, SHOWTIME!" :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh that's the list of stuff they've already seen :doh: that's what I get for responding after waking up at 3AM. Yeah I'd go with HxH then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im just gonna say stuff thats popular and has a good dub: baccano, big o

stuff that's long and has a decent dub: hunter x hunter

also gundam's dub history is kinda strange, some series arent dubbed at all and some of the continuities are kinda weird on when the dubs were made. the best gundam dub i can think of is probably seed and seed destiny but those series are kinda eh. ironblooded orphans has a decent dub but its 'only' 50ish episodes total.

oh, and if you enjoyed mononoke watch mushishi, that series has a good dub and a similar premise (wanderer dealing with mystical issues) even if its way more chillax.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gundam 00 has a functional-to-decent dub and it's two 25-episode seasons, much like Iron-Blooded Orphans that Endorph recommended above.

Also those two have probably my favorite Gundam OP's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_for2jnQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICtWXz3wsg

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Boba Pearl posted:

My favorite Anime is Mononoke (not the ghibli movie)

These I've really enjoyed:

Black Lagoon
Dragonball Z
Yuyu hakusho
Jo Jo (with the season with extremely rude JoJo being my favorite.)
Hellsing was really cool when I was 13
The Dub of Ghost Stories
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Neuro: Supernatural Detective
The 7 Deadly Sins
The Devil is a part timer
That robot one on netflix with the shapeshifting coin operated car
Carol & Tuesday

One Piece is VERY long, but I can give a list of filler to skip with some episodes that are actually worth a watch even though they're filler. But to add a series, Outlaw Star is a solid anime GotG show you might like.

Captain Invictus posted:

The one piece anime past a certain point gets very bad, so the more common recommendation is to read it, not watch it. There's even a colorized version.

Big O might be good for semi-watching, you can just not really focus too hard on it until you hear Roger yell "BIG O, SHOWTIME!" :v:

What point would that be just out of curiosity?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano does indeed have a very good dub. It's not terribly long though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

One Piece has a fan project called One Pace that edits the whole thing down to no filler + sane pacing. it's by far my favorite incarnation of the series, mostly because I like the Japanese voice cast

it isn't and likely won't ever be dubbed though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

One Piece has a fan project called One Pace that edits the whole thing down to no filler + sane pacing. it's by far my favorite incarnation of the series, mostly because I like the Japanese voice cast

it isn't and likely won't ever be dubbed though

I wish someone would have run with the "One Class" joke manga translation.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is Mekakucity Actors any good? I have an affinity for SHAFT and it looks very SHAFT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That Works posted:

I wish someone would have run with the "One Class" joke manga translation.

one piece explicitly posits revolutionaries as the heroes anyways, the only difference is that Luffy isn't big on theory