Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best thing about 4 is the inventory management. God how satisfying. I cant wait to go home this weekend and finish my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cardiovorax posted:

There is a lot to criticize about those movies, but the over the top action really isn't it, no.

I personally say the worst part is when Nemesis's heart grew 10 sizes that day and he learned how to love again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I personally say the worst part is when Nemesis's heart grew 10 sizes that day and he learned how to love again.
That was a bit of a head-scratcher, although I do admit that I have wondered at times why all those super-powerful, nearly indestructible meat mountains with enough intelligence to pursue targets across an entire city and use high-tech weaponry never just thought to themselves "why am I working for those people again?" and actively turned against Umbrella. Or even just walked away. If I was an immortal tentacle man with a rocket launcher, I would say "gently caress STARS" and find myself a bank vault to open before the nuke drops.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

That was a bit of a head-scratcher, although I do admit that I have wondered at times why all those super-powerful, nearly indestructible meat mountains with enough intelligence to pursue targets across an entire city and use high-tech weaponry never just thought to themselves "why am I working for those people again?" and actively turned against Umbrella. Or even just walked away. If I was an immortal tentacle man with a rocket launcher, I would say "gently caress STARS" and find myself a bank vault to open before the nuke drops.

Umbrella actually made like 3 different Nemesis's. The second one I think actually was smart enough to try and escape but against all expectations their security managed to contain and destroy it, and the third one featuring in RE3 was designed to be a bit dumber to avoid a repeat.

I think there's room in the series for an entry starring a really grody test subject trying to escape the monsters that created it, surprised sometimes that it's never really come up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As we've already established that happened when a shapeshifting BOW assumed Leon Kennedy's identity

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Caidin posted:

Umbrella actually made like 3 different Nemesis's. The second one I think actually was smart enough to try and escape but against all expectations their security managed to contain and destroy it, and the third one featuring in RE3 was designed to be a bit dumber to avoid a repeat.
That is neat, I didn't. Shame that this kind of thing only ever happens off-screen... although I suppose Evie counts for that, even if she didn't exactly lash out against her manufacturers and more just in general.

Caidin posted:

I think there's room in the series for an entry starring a really grody test subject trying to escape the monsters that created it, surprised sometimes that it's never really come up.
Well, technically speaking, at this point half the cast has been infected with some kind of virus or parasite or brain-eating tentacle bugs. Not grody, but I think that makes them count as escaped experiments.

As we've already established that happened when a shapeshifting BOW assumed Leon Kennedy's identity
Good point, I retract the question.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mr X and his control diodes showed that Umbrella is competent except for all those times they weren't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generally Umbrella seems fairly good about having anything they intentionally send into the field having some measure of control device that prevents it from killing them all.

The problem is that they number of things Umbrella intentionally sends into the field seems to boil down to "Mr X" "Nemesis" and "A variation on Hunters which might not even be connected to Umbrellatech."

To give Umbrella the smallest credit: A lot of the times things go massively loving wrong for them are the result of traitors in the system which breaks their security. They have 'lab accidents' but the ones that go absolutely out of control usually involve someone planning to go to the authorities/another company/become an omnipotent god-creature and it spirals from there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 8, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The funniest thing about that is, implantable mind control technology sounds like it would be way more financially viable and of interest to the governments of the world than crazy viruses and horrible undead fleshbeasts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

The best thing about 4 is the inventory management. God how satisfying. I cant wait to go home this weekend and finish my playthrough.

Same. I loved my little Tetris box mini game inventory thingy for some reason.

I think it says a lot about how dead RE3 is that we've spent 2 or 3 pages talking about RE2 and RE4 on the wii of all things.

I need to bust it out again this weekend and gently caress with it to get the controls down. My son is counting on me to kill things next weekend.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Caidin posted:

That's basically RE7. Eveline's whole thing with the Bakers was her attempt to break away from her creators and become, for all intents and purposes, a little girl with a loving family.

Beyond that, a lot of the "why didn't Umbrella do this?" questions that fans ask are already answered in the series, albeit in a slapdash sort of way. The series has always been fairly explicit that most of the monsters Umbrella made were accidents or experiments, with the Tyrant in particular being a promising but incomplete project. They were certainly iterating on the concepts pretty quickly--the Tyrant in RE is 001, and the one that Alfred sics on Claire in CV three months later is something like 079--but Raccoon City put Umbrella into crisis mode and it never actually had the chance to finish most of its work.

It's why you get things later in the series like the jury-rigged Licker control mechanism in Damnation. In the setting, later people have done more to directly weaponize Umbrella's monsters than Umbrella itself ever had the chance to.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Should have stuck with the leeches

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1258817870764494849?s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Things I did not think while replaying RE7: This series should be more gruesome

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah according to the background lore of Resident Evil, there were three Nemesis tyrants made. One sent after Jill, another was smart enough to realise what Umbrella had done to it and tried to rebel and got destroyed and the third is... somewhere out there.

Doomykins posted:

Mr X and his control diodes showed that Umbrella is competent except for all those times they weren't.

The last scenario for Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 actually had a friendly Mr. X on your side that helps kill Hunters and other creatures, at least for a while before the control device malfunctions and it goes out of control. I'm guessing they're not always reliable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Prob could stop round housing people at this point

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

codo27 posted:

Prob could stop round housing people at this point

:patriot:
It's just so much more engaging than any of the other systems.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just got past the first bunch of regenerators and I'm at 12 hours and 32 saves. Oops. I realize I've only beaten the game once I think and this part of the game is very unfamiliar to me

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I enjoyed R3make, the replayability is obviously intended to be the shop + Actual Hard and Actual Hardcore difficulties. The main reason I haven't played through them yet is because I keep getting sent on business trips that take me away from home and I only have my laptop that likely can't run the game.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah. That's the moment I nearly walked out of the theater and demanded a refund, and I had already started to consider it from the moment Alice busted into the chapel on a screaming motorcycle. I ultimately didn't but decided to never watch a single one of them ever again (anything I know about past Apocalypse is from the RLM review where the crew is laughing their rear end off at the whole thing).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Focusing on the story, the continuity and the plot of these games is the least interesting thing about them. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion since so many of us spend so much time talking about it and figuring it out but I honestly don't give a poo poo and never have.

| just like good game play and honestly couldn't tell you the first thing about how all this insane bullshit connects from one game to the other and tend to glaze over posts that try to sort that poo poo out.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

BiggerBoat posted:

Focusing on the story, the continuity and the plot of these games is the least interesting thing about them. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion since so many of us spend so much time talking about it and figuring it out but I honestly don't give a poo poo and never have.

| just like good game play and honestly couldn't tell you the first thing about how all this insane bullshit connects from one game to the other and tend to glaze over posts that try to sort that poo poo out.

The fact that every single game has a fancy new virus tells me Capcom agrees with you. The total amount of viruses and parasites has to be above 20 at this point. Also, the fact that they never "take on Umbrella." If they just kept making games like RE7 where the canon is kept mostly in the background, that'd be fine with me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

umbrella_RE8.gif

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Scissorfighter posted:

The fact that every single game has a fancy new virus tells me Capcom agrees with you. The total amount of viruses and parasites has to be above 20 at this point. Also, the fact that they never "take on Umbrella." If they just kept making games like RE7 where the canon is kept mostly in the background, that'd be fine with me.

That has more to do with two things: the series's primary creative influence left Capcom in 2005, and the guy who wrote the first two games died suddenly in 2004 before he could finish up the Umbrella arc.

Everything after that has essentially been a round-robin, where every game had different creative personnel. The plot's actually more coherent than it has any right to be, given the number of cooks in the games' kitchen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it says a lot about how dead RE3 is that we've spent 2 or 3 pages talking about RE2 and RE4 on the wii of all things.

I need to bust it out again this weekend and gently caress with it to get the controls down. My son is counting on me to kill things next weekend.

It's a pretty straightforward game. I put in about 30 hours into to unlock most stuff. But it's a fun game for me to replay again and again because it is pretty straightforward.

But I can say that about the original as well. It really had a hard time holding up against RE2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's generally just the weakest of the original trilogy, but at least it's still better than Code Veronica.

I like RE3make less than RE3 Classic, but I'll be first to admit that it probably is the longer game. You can rush through RE3make in 3 or less hours if you hurry, but it tends more naturally towards six-ish and up. RE3 Classic is just naturally that short. There really isn't a lot to it at all.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The big selling point of the original has been done by more games and done better. There really isn't much of a draw and it's a big reason why I don't think having a "relentless" Nemesis would actually help anything.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Caidin posted:

Finally, Wesker's threat at the end of CV to unleash Steve Burnside to the world comes to a head.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The last scenario for Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 actually had a friendly Mr. X on your side that helps kill Hunters and other creatures, at least for a while before the control device malfunctions and it goes out of control. I'm guessing they're not always reliable.

The best part about that was this cutscene. :allears: This nasally nerd being a little too into what the Tyrant's capable of, while the one sane Umbrella scientist is going :stare: and slowly edging her way to the door.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's been a while since I've played the Re2make, and how does the Spark Shot work again? Do you just hold the button down for maximum shocking? And it's best against the third Birkin form, isn't it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

It's been a while since I've played the Re2make, and how does the Spark Shot work again? Do you just hold the button down for maximum shocking? And it's best against the third Birkin form, isn't it?
Zap a zombie, hold the button, watch it go to the top of the bar, zombie head asplode. It does a little bit of continual shock damage that basically shuts down whatever you hit with it, but the big damager is the overload effect at the end. If you break the connection before that happens, it's a wasted shot.

Birkin in all forms is fairly easily stunned by acid rounds, so consider those a valid tactic in between hitting him with other things.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 9, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Zap a zombie, hold the button, watch it go to the top of the bar, zombie head asplode. It does a little bit of continual shock damage that basically shuts down whatever you hit with it, but the big damager is the overload effect at the end. If you break the connection before that happens, it's a wasted shot.

Ah, alright. I seem to remember the note with it being kind of worded confusingly, but that might just be me misremembering.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Ah, alright. I seem to remember the note with it being kind of worded confusingly, but that might just be me misremembering.
It is, the note pretty much tells it to you completely wrong. Don't worry, you're not alone in that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

One shots exposed eyeballs on G Adults, very important.

Been deep thinking my S+ routing and taking a RE2 break after about 8 runs in 3 weeks. I guess above all else I'd need to practice juking G Adults to actually reach the spark shot/flamer, which triviliaze them. Other than that I can do the rest and it's route optimization and some execution luck vs double lickers and Super Tyrant.

Best 3 save spots? Thinking Leon Sewers Before Croc(mandatory, I always need a warm up run or two to remember the third juke), G3, Supes(mandatory, my worst boss.) Claire would probably be Orphanage (easy, but sometimes janky, like how you start the chase facing Irons and instinctively want to hold forward, or the last hall of the chase), G3, ???. G4 is super easy for me. G2 and G3 can be tricky at times but heal tankable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doomykins posted:

One shots exposed eyeballs on G Adults, very important.
Seriously? God dammit, so many SMG bullets wasted.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The flamethrower is good against the sewer Gs? I thought it was only good for the Ivies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You should preserve it for the Ivies because it's the only thing Leon has that can reliably perma-kill them. You don't even have to down them for it - take them down like RE4 regenerators and then torch them when they're on the ground, it still works fine.

It's actually a pretty good weapon in general, though. You just have way too little opportunity to use it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

20-30 flamethrower ammo will light a G-Adult on fire and while on fire the DoT cancels their grab mid animation and they'll release you, making the run by and the return to the U-Door super easy no matter how many you left up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dunno what's worse, that a bioweapon has a giant eyeball, y'know, something very soft as a weak spot, or that the loving presidents daughter got kidnapped and they sent one singular dude who was a rookie cop 6 years ago to go get her.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

codo27 posted:

or that the loving presidents daughter got kidnapped and they sent one singular dude who was a rookie cop 6 years ago to go get her.

Hey it worked didn't it? Plus there was at least two choppers that got shot down and those spanish... european cops.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Eyeballs. The eyeballs are definitely worse. It doesn't even make any sense because eyeballs are literally one of the least necessary organs for the survival of an organism. Shoot a giant flesh mutant in one of his million eyeballs and the only thing that should be happening is that it can see you slightly less amazingly well.

Sending the secret service agent with experience in zombie survival into the suspected zombie survival situation at least has a sort of logic to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

codo27 posted:

I dunno what's worse, that a bioweapon has a giant eyeball, y'know, something very soft as a weak spot, or that the loving presidents daughter got kidnapped and they sent one singular dude who was a rookie cop 6 years ago to go get her.
In my experience, eyeballs are significantly tougher than meat.

Cardiovorax posted:

Eyeballs. The eyeballs are definitely worse. It doesn't even make any sense because eyeballs are literally one of the least necessary organs for the survival of an organism. Shoot a giant flesh mutant in one of his million eyeballs and the only thing that should be happening is that it can see you slightly less amazingly well.
RE bosses have very limited object permanence. If you shoot out all their eyes they can't see you, so they think you disappeared.