Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

calandryll posted:

There is a meeting tomorrow for the captains of our league to discuss ringers and what to do about them. Hopefully it doesn't involve blowing up teams because I finally found a team I really enjoy playing with.

It is because you've got 2 - 3 guys that are NHL superstars while the rest of you look like a bunch of 5 year olds? If so, maybe.

If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Basically because there is a playoff people stack the gently caress out of their teams. My team has one dude that could probably play up but he'd be lowish on the next division. We were right at 0.500 when the quarantine hit and were sitting dead center of table. There were teams that would drive up the score like 11-1, etc.

I did have a very vivid hockey playing dream last night. I woke up very sad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I mowed my yard today ... In a zamboni pattern

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
allegedly our city is starting to open back up next monday

i'm kind of assuming that indoor organized sports that require locker rooms will be among the last things to return to normalcy?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

allegedly our city is starting to open back up next monday

This seems like a bad idea

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stick time is probably fine if they limit the number and open up all locker rooms and clean in between sessions or something.

I wouldn’t suggest leagues or drop-in or anything though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pro shop at my rink is open, but no skating of any kind at this point. Find out in 2 weeks if idiot governor fuckwad decides to open everything, despite being worse in covid test ahead of only Arkansas and loving American Samoa.

It's bullshit and I'm going to have to wear PPE to work forever because people are unbelievably stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think how good the workout is gonna be when we have to play hockey through a mask! High altitude training for all.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.facebook.com/hockeyplayersclub/videos/678148199683953/

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just think how good the workout is gonna be when we have to play hockey through a mask! High altitude training for all.

I kind of wish it worked that way, I'd have cardio for days now. Unfortunately you get the same amount of oxygen, you just have to work harder to get it. So maybe your diaphragm gets slightly more swole.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Teeter posted:

Awww poo poo I just realized that we started the shelter-in-place orders right as our regular season ended. I imagine the season will be scrapped altogether but it would be kinda funny if we end up going straight in to playoffs with a bunch of old dudes who have barely left the couch for months.

I just hope I've got a rink to go back to once this is all said and done.

Hell yeah! I just received word that

1) Our dumpy little rink isn't really at risk of shutting down, and
2) Whenever we get to it, the first game back after months off the ice will indeed be a playoff game.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
In places where the virus has had a foothold and businesses have been closed down, reopening hockey rinks might be a bit more complicated than similar athletic venues. The low temperatures mean the virus will live on surfaces longer, and particles of it will float in the air longer (due to cold air being denser). Kinda feels like the normal social distancing protocols may need to be modified, at least.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
That's a good point that I'm sure will be completely disregarded by the people that run rinks and can't make a schedule more than one week in advance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In Illinois they're doing that phased opening thing and currently we're two phases away from them allowing sports and recreation gatherings up to 50 people, so I assume the instant we get to that benchmark the rinks are gonna start scheduling games again.

But if that plan actually happens it's gonna be long after the so-called plateau and only after infections are measurably declining.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
all our rinks are owned by the city so I think they will have to stick to our phased plan which means it should be over a month at the earliest before they can open.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

In Illinois they're doing that phased opening thing and currently we're two phases away from them allowing sports and recreation gatherings up to 50 people, so I assume the instant we get to that benchmark the rinks are gonna start scheduling games again.

But if that plan actually happens it's gonna be long after the so-called plateau and only after infections are measurably declining.

That and the vast majority of the rinks are in the Chicago area, which we know is going to be last to open back up.

I miss hockey.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I just know they're going to open everything in a couple of weeks and we're all going to get Rona'd.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I’ve been roller blading around my town recently, but instead of having cool rollerblades I have my dads old ones from the basement that have ski boot style buckles and wheels that are heavily worn down but it’s still such a blast skating around, especially when you find the rare road or sidewalk that was paved within the last decade and is still smooth and not full of cracks waiting to grab your ankle and murder you. Parking lots are excellent for skating in if the businesses there are closed.

What I don’t like about skates is that they have both too much and too little grip with the wheels. Too much because you have to be going straight at all times, you can’t slide on them like you can with ice skates, but too little grip when you really go for a hard stride and they just skid and lose all your force making you look like a dork when you were trying to quickly cross a street or get up a hill. Going downhill is terrifying and I feel like I’m doing a crashed ice course even when it’s the slightest decline.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

V for Vegans posted:

wheels that are heavily worn down

V for Vegans posted:

too little grip when you really go for a hard stride and they just skid and lose all your force making you look like a dork

You dork

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Pleads posted:

You dork

Ok, maybe new wheels would help.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
In Vancouver, a few ice rinks have opened back up but only for individual training. No more than 5 people allowed on the ice at once.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

V for Vegans posted:

Ok, maybe new wheels would help.

You'll never get the same power you'd get from biting a skate edge into the ice, but new wheels definitely help with grip on your pushes and cornering.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Do I buy inline in my shoe size or ice skate size?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Here's a bit of not-so-helpful information ... It's entirely based on brand. If you're buying hockey inline skates, like Bauer's, they run the same boot size to their ice skates. Every brand will vary

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Please forgive the ignorance/stupidity of this question. I don't follow Ice Hockey very much, if indeed at all.

But does the NHL have a father/son rule similar to the one I am familiar with in Aussie Rules? i.e. If a player plays X amount of games for one club, then that club has dibs on that players son when they become eligible in the draft. Are there any famous examples of this?

Thank you, and again sorry for the stupidity/naivete of the question.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

No such rule in the NHL system.

I think out of the people who post in this thread, the only person who’s even good enough for a sniff is Titanium (as an emergency goalie). He has faced down NHL players before.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bewbies is actually Al MacInnis

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I think out of the people who post in this thread, the only person who’s even good enough for a sniff is Titanium (as an emergency goalie). He has faced down NHL players before.

That's the only criteria for beating Toronto. Not bad.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That's the only criteria for beating Toronto. Not bad.

There’s a lot of money to be made that way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Since there's no hockey, let's get conversation going.

If you suspected any nhl player of being an SA goon, what player would it be and why? Extra credit for their favorite thread.

Brad Marchand, The Firing range because he enjoys hunting and I'm going to guess he's been on probation a dozen times for trolling.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Phil Kessel, but he only posts in QCS asking for the chickencheese thread to be reopened.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

bewbies is actually Al MacInnis

my cannon slap shot is of limited use in pond hockey

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The world famous New England Senior Hockey League is apparently shutting down because they were a million dollars in debt. Now the league where a man poo poo in another mans glove will only be a memory...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Let's all pour the turds out of our gloves for the greatest league ever.

My rink changed their message from "probably opening in a week" to something like 'yeah we really have no idea when we're opening again."

Edit: now they're doing limited opening on Monday for freestyle and "hockey" (but only stick and puck at the moment, it looks like). But:

1. Masks required in the facility and on ice (good!)
2. Must social distance on the ice (sure, sure)
3. Bags and gear must be disinfected before showing up at the rink (good, but... Impossible to enforce)
4. Locker rooms are closed, you have to arrive dressed 10 minutes prior to ice time and be gone within 10 minutes of ice time ending. Uhhhh... That will be interesting.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 14, 2020

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Hey now, I've been dangled around by a few AHLers going half-speed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They finally announced that the remainder of our winter season (which was just the playoff games) are cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Which is no big deal but it means my team will remain division world champions until September at least. :smug:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My rink sent out an email saying they were closing for the summer and wouldn’t re-open until the fall, and then StinkySocks emailed us a few days later saying that the seasons would be re-starting in July so at least they’re being as unorganized and behind the times as usual.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Our local rink just announced that in a few weeks they're reopening junior programs. All those nasty rear end teenagers! And they're taking sign-ups for parent/child weekend camps beginning in two weeks and I'm frankly shocked. This is in Santa Clara county, too, which had one of California's biggest outbreaks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My rink is issuing 1-year or lifetime bans for people who do a CC chargeback for their league fees since the rink's refund policy is "we got your money, gently caress you." We were between seasons when all of this poo poo started, so everyone is out $650 and hadn't played a game yet. We had one guy on my team who did exactly this and the HD emailed our captain and asked if we could find someone to buy him out. How about gently caress off and actually issue refunds for people who lost their job but still need to feed their families. You aren't going to find anyone wanting to buy anyone out during a drat pandemic.

Also, ironic that they said "you want your money back because you need it to live? Well, you're banned from spending money here for 1 year!"

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That is completely lovely. We had ~4 games left in our season and our rink offered a refund. We told them to give it to the people who are part-time and SOL without the job.

We had rink management switch over in the last year for the better for the most part. Their idea to make our league more "fair" was to make it basically 35 and over, so young guys who have like 0.2 ppg get booted to the next higher league, whereas guys who are ~4 ppg get to stay.