Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The gold standard is insane once you get asteroid mining, since a single asteroid can have enough gold to completely trivialize most precious metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or heck, once you have enough cheap to free energy available to separate it from seawater. That's where you can find most of Earth's gold.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Okay it’s a little bit of a big/squished update but we’ve seen most of the interesting stuff mechanically. The rest is, as usual, just a thousand buildings/wonders/worker improvements squished into the back half of the era. So without further ado, I present:

Jossar's Playthrough – Galactic 4

One of the things I forgot to mention last update is that Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators gives you access to a couple of wonders based on the various arms of the galaxy that you’ve been colonizing.

”We’ve had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world.”

(A more military focused rule civic, again, not that you need it at this point.)

Out goes the last veneer of physicality, for some of our citizens. Now they exist entirely within the cloud.

We finally get the capacity to terraform the Jovian planets to become more Earthlike in nature. Honestly given that the majority of Mongolians are living in space-based structures at this point it’s more of a flex than anything else. See for example: the artificial recreation of Saturn’s ring system around the terraformed planet specifically to make it look like old Saturn.

We have all this solar energy, more than we could reasonably need for the purpose of energy consumption, so why not try and convert our already complex megastructures into computers?

So a lot of the early-mid Galactic Era has been focused on buildings in space, leaving Earth with surprisingly little to do. Astroanthropology marks the return of earth-based buildings, even if it’s to provide embassies to alien species and set up museums concerning human history. Somebody made the Holy Terra connection before and it’s like that, but instead of a pilgrimage planet Earth is now a giant tourist trap/gift shop.

Imperialism… IN SPACE! Though most of the buildings here revolve around the administration of said empires rather than conquest. The Interstellar Ecumenopolis, Trantor, etc.

It does, however, come with this military civic about space battles, which we don’t adopt.

As the Mongols have spread out across the stars, maintaining continuity of the gestalt mind becomes increasingly difficult. So it has reorganized into the Great Stellar Horde, a system allowing for individuals to participate in system-localized Groupmind Khanates with representatives conveying the wishes of their respective khanate to a Centralized Kurultai on Earth.

More Foundation stuff. Didn’t get a screencap of Trantor so the Encyclopedia Galactica will have to suffice.

Wormhole Traversal has the Interstellar Olympics, but also allows your workers in Galactic regions to start building roads. Sadly they just use the Orbital/Solar Trajectory graphics. The dev commentary says that this is the part where we have to start taking it as a given that our descendants have found some way to break the laws of physics as we currently understand them, although stuff at the tail end of the Galactic Era might still be technically possible over long time horizons.

Now we can build planets in conventional and unconventional formats, as well as reignite brown dwarfs into red dwarfs.

Or, y’know, just move around already present stars into colonies that we want. And art displays.

Well there must be some biological/semi-biological humans left. Xenosemiotics is the last civic on this line of unambiguously improving civics. Now you can just let other life forms know how you feel without any barriers to comprehension.

The next level of worker emerges, one that will be capable of working in nearly all of the remaining terrains. Sadly it’s just another nanoblob in appearance.

Folding Space is the final tech of the Galactic Era and comes with our Galactic Era Economy Wonder, so we’re all ready for the Cosmic Era.

(Techs not mentioned: Ecosynthesis, Wormhole Communications, Weaponized Antimatter, Megastrong Alloys, Planet Scanning, Picotechnology, Neutrino Communications)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Listen, all our work, all our god-like achievements and our complete comprehension of the universe, it is all in the service of our singular goal. This goal lies at the heart of every living being, no matter their form or their nature. It is a fundamental constant of existence, abundant in complexity, yet easily explainable in just four words.

hobbesmaster posted:

They're on the purestrain gold standard.

Ron Paul For President.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Terraforming a gas giant doesn't even make sense as a concept!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You’re controlling the weather of the upper atmosphere to allow for floating cities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

Terraforming a gas giant doesn't even make sense as a concept!

hobbesmaster posted:

You're controlling the weather of the upper atmosphere to allow for floating cities.

Or pulling an Endless Space and somehow converting a gas giant into a telluric planet.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

You’re controlling the weather of the upper atmosphere to allow for floating cities.

Nope.

We were doing that before, but this tech really does represent terraforming the gas giants to make them earthlike. Or alternatively, encasing them in earthlike shells.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 8, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jossar posted:

Nope.

We were doing that before, but this tech really does represent terraforming the gas giants to make them earthlike. Or alternatively, encasing them in earthlike shells.

drat, even the stellaris gigastructures mod has you build floating cities. You know, the mod that lets you convert moons and planets into warships, and then combine 5 war moons, 4 planet craft and a Dyson sphere into a “systemcraft” warship.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Stellaris is, at its largest, still a Galactic Era focus game. You start as master of your solar system, or just at the point when you're finalizing control, and take over the galaxy.

We surpassed it sometime during the end of the era. Presumably when we were moving around solar systems for art projects. If not, we'll be doing so next update.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 8, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That really is more of a flex than actually practical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stellaris with mods only gets as far as turning moons into disco balls on a lark so I concede the point.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
More I think about it, less some of Civic categories make sense.

Language Civics are basically always upgrades on earlier ones and going backwards doesn't make sense. Going back to Nonverbal communication as modern industrial civilization is possible and is not destructive for whole civilization. Trade Language, Interpreters etc are mostly infrastructure problems and should come from National Wonders or something similar.

Garbage handling could just be replaced with buildings. Garbage is everywhere until garbage burning pit is built, which can be replaced by dumping it to oceans or by building landfills etc.

Also, Military Civics are meant to differentiate how soldiers are recruited and organised, not how the fighting happens, so Starfaring does match with Civics of same category.

:negative:

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I just got to the atomic age yesterday. It is kind of weird that researching fascism enables Evo Morales as a world unit.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I like how we've entered this super cosmic era of instant non-verbal communication and there's a little warning about an enemy duck or whatever that's supposed to be.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Cosmic 1

Update Mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACbVe7o9Rs

At the beginning of the last Era I said we’d gone as far as we could possibly go technologically speaking without becoming space wizards. “Becoming space wizards” is an apt description for the Cosmic Era.

The first tech we pick up in the Cosmic Era is Space Creasing, allowing us to construct colonization ships with Alcubierre warp drives that contract and expand space directly in their path. The mechanics for doing this… are kind of impossible in a way that actually saves time compared to operating at light speed without some form of time manipulation.

Anyways, we’ll be using Alcubierre Seedships to colonize the rest of the Observable Universe, though for now all we can reach is the rest of the Local Group. I’m not sure if these buildings are supposed to reflect the transitionary stage ones of the Galactic Era, or we’ve hit the point where trying to give more specific names for these things is a lost cause.

Femtotechnology is where we start dealing with technology capable of manipulating individual nucleons in an atomic nucleus or forms of artificial degenerate matter created by squishing bits of an atom together so as to get rid of all the empty space in them. The materials produced are so strong/heat resistant that we can now send a probe to the center of the sun for research purposes.

Well if we can make artificial black holes, all we have to do is flip the equations around and we can produce white holes, which spew out endless material from beyond their event horizons (and presumably some other dimension) and nothing can ever go in past the event horizon. Simple enough, right? Also we can either make bigger stars now or at least harness them in a manner consistent with however tile improvements work.

Intergalactic Colonization allows for further development of our Local Group colonies and the construction of several wonders representing sufficient colonization of particular galaxies. In case you haven’t noticed, we’re kind of running ahead really fast here, which also explains why my money is going down – spending it just trying to keep up, at least for the important/interesting stuff.

(We're simultaneously getting slower at the same time as techs take longer to research because science isn't keeping pace relative to what it takes to research these later era techs and i'm not founding a ton of cities because I don't want the game to crash.)

Here, we're exporting our megascale structure projects to other galaxies, including dyson spheres/equivalents to harness the power of the supermassive black holes at the center of all these galaxies and mass wormhole construction allowing for perfect communication/travel back home in the Milky Way.

Oh hey, there’s the time manipulation we mentioned being necessary earlier in the update. So as clarification for techs that we’re going to get later, this is full scale time travel but only on the level of stars or lower: the buildings here are Chronopolis – or cities existing throughout time and Interstellar Timehole – reflecting time travel within a star’s local area and time horizon. No trying to go back/forward more than several billion years ago or you’ll get stranded and the time police will chew you out!

Also we just steal our army recruits from the past/future now, no big deal.

These two techs kind of suffer from the devs clearly wanting them to be big deals, but the systems for placing life/interacting with alien cultures aren’t in place yet. But since we somehow made it throughout the rest of the update without excluding anything, they get to stay in. At least Ancient Civilizations and Ancient Megastructures exist as map resources for your Galactic/Supergalactic cities to get extra commerce from.

We end the update with Intergroup Travel, allowing us to send our Alcubierre Seedships off to establish colonies throughout the rest of the Virgo Supercluster (although maybe the map should be subdivided into various parts of the Laniakea Supercluster at this point?). They’re pretty much mechanically identical to our Local Group cities so far.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 8, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I dunno whether to roll my eyes or be impressed at the chutzhpah of including a tech that enables pressganging your great grandfather and your great grandson for the wars of today.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sincx posted:

Interesting, so if the Galactic Age is broadly equivalent to Stellaris, then the Cosmic Age seems similar to Stellaris' Fallen Empires' tech at the height of those empires. The above is basically a dimensional fabricator:

You do have to assume that the current residents of those empires are just those that were bored and stayed behind while everyone else hosed off to the rest of the cluster or ascended or whatever though. Its not an unreasonable assumption.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're stealing purestain gold from whole other universes now.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
B-but the entire reason it's valuable is because there'll never be any more of it! Now we've got a hypothetically limitless supply! :ohdear:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Guess we'll just have to....keep infinitely expanding our economy to maintain the value...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Ark posted:

B-but the entire reason it's valuable is because there'll never be any more of it! Now we've got a hypothetically limitless supply! :ohdear:

haha purestrain gold white hole go brrrrrrr

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least Beyond Earth has the excuse that gold is valuable in the far future for its conductive properties in electronics.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

hobbesmaster posted:

end the gal fed, ron paul 2420

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

clearly the solution is to dump the entire current and future gold supply into making a series of white holes, using the gold-sourced matter to fuel a gold-energy based currency conveniently withdrawn or deposited anywhere on the combination bank/powergrid at convenient energy-gold conversion stations

alternatively, harvest the suns energy to manufacture solar-sourced gold; practically the same as regular gold but produced from the sun and thus better while phasing out regular, not-sun-based gold as currency in favor of the new sun gold

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

kw0134 posted:

I dunno whether to roll my eyes or be impressed at the chutzhpah of including a tech that enables pressganging your great grandfather and your great grandson for the wars of today.

Sending orders must be hell though - imagine signing your recruitment papers and being told that you're due for basic training 20 years ago and that you'll be on the front lines yesterday, better hop to it.

There's also a decent chance that said recruitment officer and/or your CO will also be the you from 5 minutes after returning from your first tour of service.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

hobbesmaster posted:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

The only logical solution: change the standard from purestrain to pureverse gold. None of that alternate universe junk. Who knows what they put in their gold over there!? :tinfoil:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cythereal posted:

At least Beyond Earth has the excuse that gold is valuable in the far future for its conductive properties in electronics.

Both Copper and Silver are more conductive

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arrhythmia posted:

Both Copper and Silver are more conductive

And copper is another bonus resource in Beyond Earth. :v: Silica rounds out the mineral bonus resources rather than silver, though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dr. Snark posted:

The only logical solution: change the standard from purestrain to pureverse gold. None of that alternate universe junk. Who knows what they put in their gold over there!? :tinfoil:

:hmmyes:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dr. Snark posted:

Sending orders must be hell though - imagine signing your recruitment papers and being told that you're due for basic training 20 years ago and that you'll be on the front lines yesterday, better hop to it.

There's also a decent chance that said recruitment officer and/or your CO will also be the you from 5 minutes after returning from your first tour of service.
If the war isn't a 1000 year long stalemate you might even fight for a different side after your time travel.

But seriously who are you even fighting. The cosmos is unified into a big city and has been since a few years after cosimc travel was invented.
I suppose there are "barbarians" with galactic level villages in different cosmoses then you. Somehow.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Beyond Earth actually made gold a cultural resource cuz "GOLD SHINY". Plus any exoplanetary resource of it is untapped so you basically have bajillions of it to go through so its essentially worthless as an economic resource (which also explains why energy is the new "money" of the game as that is way more valuable)

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Can think of one enemy to still be fighting. The theory barbarians were mongolians going off to conquer a chunk of the world with 3d printers?

Clearly the future equivalent is rogue mongolians from even further in the future coming to the past to conquer the empire with 5d printers :shepface:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Cosmic 2

First thing’s first for the update, showing off wonders that our new Virgo Supercluster cities can build representing colonization of galactic groups other than the Local Group.

Alright let’s move on. Gravitronics involves turning black holes into computers and using them for the generation of intelligences both generally and for the directed purpose of research. Partially based on their time dilative properties.

We can now seed galaxies with life. I’m not sure how doing so helps our… food supply? Nutrient supply? But there you go.

Mastery of the forces of the universe now means that we may prevent true information death. Now no Mongolian ever need die again, even by accident. We’re also starting preparations to make sure that this remains true no matter how far into the future our civilization lasts, hence the survival plan for when the universe finally runs out of stars.

Behold, interstellar space cities the size of a coffee cup.

You know what, black holes aren’t big enough. We need more computing power.

And whoever can provide it gets to have all the power in our society. (Not adopted, though I probably should go back and do so.)

It’s still not enough computing power! We have to connect all the computers in each galaxy together via wormholes to make even bigger computers.

Wait, what do you mean we can’t build more cluster brains because we’ve run out of galaxies? Just go and build some more galaxies then!

Alright, I think we’re good for now. In the process of combing over every galaxy with a fine tooth comb we’ve either managed to make or find what would otherwise be extremely rare stars with abnormal properties. Such as this star where electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force have collapsed back into one another.

As before with Astroimperialism this tech doesn’t represent a literal intergalactic empire (though the option for it exists), but signifies that through the construction of ever increasingly powerful wormholes and bureaucratic efficiency it is possible to manage a civilization on the scale of the observable universe.

Speaking of the observable universe, might as well go and grab the rest of it.

They’re really just Intergalactic Cities with a few more bells and whistles, some of which include wonders representing our colonization of Superclusters outside the Virgo. So as typical for lategame C2C, we end the update where we begun, but one scale of magnitude up.

(Techs not mentioned: Galactic Warfare, Ultima Architecture, Extreme Energy Weapons, Induced Supernova, Megawormholes)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 9, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

:lol: what the gently caress we're through the rabbit hole now

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's the next wall of the map.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I get what they're going for here, but man, this game was not set up to handle the space era, let alone anything beyond that. An "observable universe" tile with... 3 Food, 2 Hammers, 2 Trade, when the entire modern concept of money, food, production, and even research was thrown out of the window multiple eras ago. In a time (with time travel, no less) of post-scarcity, when nothing is needed or wanted, and everyone is immortal and can become literally anything that they can conceive of on a whim, we've been at the point where everything that is being done is being done on a lark. We're basically Q++ right now, and the idea of bothering to even set up an interstellar colony is cute, but ultimately pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

We're basically Q++ right now, and the idea of bothering to even set up an interstellar colony is cute, but ultimately pointless.

I think that’s the next era.

also :sickos: