Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

General Dog posted:

It's incredible how openly ashamed they are about bringing back Palpatine. The movie refuses to offer any explanation, because it knows any explanation will be unsatisfactory, and Disney went to far as to tip its hand that he was returning 6 months in advance just so the moviegoing public would have time to make peace with the plot point.

Remember when people here were insisting that Palpatine was just going to be a flashback or a ghostly presence because obviously they weren't going to do something as self-evidently stupid as bringing him back in the flesh as the main villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

Just what the gently caress do you think Star Wars is? Or are you one of the people who loved all the new beige blob aliens and was glad to see zero existing aliens in the sequel trilogy?

No, I abhorred the sequels, largely because they failed to do a single substantively new thing with a totally blank canvas. Making a boba fett show is just another brand extension. The hallmark of Star Wars used to be novelty (I don't use that word in the pejorative sense). Now the hallmark is comfort, and above all, familiarity.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Jewmanji posted:

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying it, just don’t pretend that they didn’t simply crank the fan service dial to 11 the moment they announced the show. It’s pure fan service, through and through. Season 2 couldn’t have more fan service in the same way that you can’t add 1 to infinity.

You absolutely can add 1 to infinity.

Who the hell taught you math?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Darko posted:

Oh god, it could have been way worse.

Fan service is also adding in a million cameos for no reason. Season 2 is already adding Ahsoka (and thus another Force user), it could also easily add in every character from Rebels and Clone Wars missing and then pop up locations and cameos from the Old Republic and have HK-47 show up as a sidekick while the original trilogy cast rotates guest appearances every episode.

The minute Giancarlo Esposito pulled out the drat Dark Saber, they gave themselves every reason they wanted to bring in Ahsoka and probably Sabine Wren too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

The minute Giancarlo Esposito pulled out the drat Dark Saber, they gave themselves every reason they wanted to bring in Ahsoka and probably Sabine Wren too.

Why stop there?

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1258855085351882752?s=12

Rex or some other clone would be my guess because boba fett would loving suck so I’m hoping it’s a ruse to cast him.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 8, 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why stop there?

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1258855085351882752?s=12

Rex or some other clone would be my guess because boba fett would loving suck so I’m hoping it’s a ruse to cast him.

Ugggghhhhhhh divorce the mandalorian from the rest of the movie poo poo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Calaveron posted:

Ugggghhhhhhh divorce the mandalorian from the rest of the movie poo poo

lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So far, the quality of a Star Wars TV show has been strongly correlated with how much it refers to the prequels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did everyone making the show forget Boba Fett died.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There was very little reason to believe anyone in star wars was actually dead even before disney wars reduced it to actual zero

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

There was very little reason to believe anyone in star wars was actually dead even before disney wars reduced it to actual zero

I actually forgot they brought Darth Maul back with robot legs for the cartoon or whatever. How loving dumb lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did everyone making the show forget Boba Fett died.

The dead speak! Sometimes the dead also just stand around to look cool and sell toys and candies

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I look forward to the first force ghost who comes back to life. Seems like the last frontier of 'death isn't real as writer desparation requires' and also 100% inevitable

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Seriously the mandalorian was so good because it did its own thing while only having the trappings of a star war. Please don’t start bloating it up with blue milk and werewolf aliens

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I actually forgot they brought Darth Maul back with robot legs for the cartoon or whatever. How loving dumb lmao

It owned actually.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The mandalorian documentary series is going to be wild. 8 episodes of kathleen kennedy and the rest of the failure crew taking credit for something that only managed to be ok because they ignored it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thats a bad on paper turned out awesome thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maul was fantastic on Rebels and was arguably the best thing from the final season of Clone Wars. They even brought back Ray Park to do motion capture for the fighting sequences.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Groovelord Neato posted:

Looking forward to his nemesis, Darth Maul's legs with a droid on top

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Darko posted:

I'm not watching a prequel cartoon so I guess I'll never know. It did make me laugh out loud in Solo though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Did Disney's deal with Lucas involve buying Skywalker Ranch? Because even though several of his businesses were based there, it's also actually where he lives. (I guess I'm just amused at the idea of Lucas having to show his ID to some Disney-employed gate guard every time he goes out for groceries.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Calaveron posted:

Seriously the mandalorian was so good because it did its own thing while only having the trappings of a star war. Please don’t start bloating it up with blue milk and werewolf aliens

Dude, it's a show about a Mandalorian bounty hunter who, aided by a former rebel commando and an Ugnaut, contends with Jawas, an IG droid, an AT-ST, Stormtroopers, and a Moff carrying the Dark Saber to save Baby Yoda. It's made out of blue milk and werewolf aliens.

Bongo Bill posted:

It owned actually.

Darko posted:

Gonz posted:

Maul was fantastic on Rebels and was arguably the best thing from the final season of Clone Wars. They even brought back Ray Park to do motion capture for the fighting sequences.

Yeah, I laughed heartily at how silly it was when I heard about it. Then I watched it and was amazed at how well they pulled it off. Everyone who wishes Maul featured more prominently in Phantom Menace owes it to themselves to watch the Clone Wars and Rebels arcs that feature him. Hell, they even manage to make his absurdly named brother--Savage Oppress--an interesting character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, it's a show about a Mandalorian bounty hunter who, aided by a former rebel commando and an Ugnaut, contends with Jawas, an IG droid, an AT-ST, Stormtroopers, and a Moff carrying the Dark Saber to save Baby Yoda. It's made out of blue milk and werewolf aliens.

Yeah, I laughed heartily at how silly it was when I heard about it. Then I watched it and was amazed at how well they pulled it off. Everyone who wishes Maul featured more prominently in Phantom Menace owes it to themselves to watch the Clone Wars and Rebels arcs that feature him. Hell, they even manage to make his absurdly named brother--Savage Oppress--an interesting character.

Yeah that’s fine and all but they don’t need to start bringing in movie characters and I hope that the dark saber is the only laser sword in this series

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean ahsoka is going to be in it, unless she's some kind of lightsaberless jedi (I know nothing about the cartoons) I would say the odds of her using her lightsaber in it are approaching 100%

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I feel like some people must have watched a different show than I did. The Mandalorian that I saw was a very straightforward adventure story with a whole bunch of Star Wars stuff in it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean ahsoka is going to be in it, unless she's some kind of lightsaberless jedi (I know nothing about the cartoons) I would say the odds of her using her lightsaber in it are approaching 100%

buddy she has TWO white lightsabers because she's no longer a jedi.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wasn't she supposed to be one of the voices talking to rey in rise of skywalker? She was one of all the jedi there

edit: Do zoomers really love the ahsoka character or something. Or is it just one of those cases where it's something that was actually well received and so they started jamming her in everywhere. Feels like it's getting a little absurd

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 9, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kanan and Ahsoka were indeed voices at the end of TROS.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wasn't she supposed to be one of the voices talking to rey in rise of skywalker? She was one of all the jedi there

edit: Do zoomers really love the ahsoka character or something. Or is it just one of those cases where it's something that was actually well received and so they started jamming her in everywhere. Feels like it's getting a little absurd

She seems like a favorite with the superfans and convention types and disney can't make a star wars character that anyone cares about except kylo which feels like an accident they fell into in retrospect

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ahsoka is the best major character to come out of Star Wars since, like, Lando, so yes, people like her. And its Filonis pet character so he includes her in the stuff he's involved in.

The only people that don't like her are those that haven't seen her, really. Also hurt a lot of the forced "you don't like Rey because you're misogynistic" arguments. She's basically an insert of reason into Jedi.

The Mandalorian isn't really nearly as good as the best of Clone Wars nor is it the level of Rebels on consistency and hasn't reached its best so far. I wish it didn't need to leech off of those shows to try and improve and did more of its own thing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't believe Boba kills Ahsoka and then Kreia shows up and is played by Chris Avellone

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Sawyer from Lost as Dash Rendar

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bring back Lobot, goddamnit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

General Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/brandon_bird/status/1257369722057867264?s=21

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I see Ed Norton's falleen on hard times

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

loving owns

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Finally saw the Last Skywalker on disney+. Loved it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was your favorite part

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

holy gently caress that would own unironically

i really wish they'd have done Shadows of the Empire instead of Solo

you could have set it between Empire and ROTJ or make a few changes to put it after ROTJ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
If Boba Fett is alive and Luke Skywalker is dead I'mma burn this motherfucker down.