Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pay a lawyer $200 to send them a letter, and they will almost certainly drop it.

Going to second this, because

Bad Titty Puker posted:

Chase Bank isn't small potatoes and could gently caress with your credit. On the other hand, I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. In conclusion, the Legal Questions thread might be a place to ask yr question

It's a frustrating use of your time, but better safe than sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Going to second this, because

It's a frustrating use of your time, but better safe than sorry.

The other thing I'd suggest doing promptly file an FTC complaint, which gets taken seriously.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Can't you ask them for proof that you wanted the card?
Where is the burden of proof in the US? I am not a lawyer at all, but I would assume (a dangerous thing) that they would be required to have a signed document or a record of you asking/accepting it.

Please tell us the results if you decide to do something, if you are allowed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dunno-Lars posted:

Can't you ask them for proof that you wanted the card?
Where is the burden of proof in the US? I am not a lawyer at all, but I would assume (a dangerous thing) that they would be required to have a signed document or a record of you asking/accepting it.

Please tell us the results if you decide to do something, if you are allowed.

Read the Matt Taibbi articles about foreclosures in 2008 or so, they're infuriating. The banks accountants were showing up without the forms they needed to, then they showed up with unsigned forms, then when that got called out on that they show up with the same form with a forged signature. Somehow, this was ok for the judge?????

This is what the CFPB was supposed to specifically go after which is why it was immediately neutered.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just got a call from myself. :waycool:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just got a call from myself. :waycool:

How were you doing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Couldn't say, I didn't leave a voicemail. I must have been in a hurry.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eric the Mauve posted:

Couldn't say, I didn't leave a voicemail. I must have been in a hurry.

Call yourself back and check in, you don't know if you have something serious going on.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Eh, you’ll call back if it’s something you really need to know about :shrug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, I made it a whole week and nobody on my contact list got my wank videos. I think I'm in the clear!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, I made it a whole week and nobody on my contact list got my wank videos. I think I'm in the clear!

Maybe they just don't want to admit that they enjoyed watching them? Has anyone been more noticeably shy or quiet around you?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Volmarias posted:

Maybe they just don't want to admit that they enjoyed watching them? Has anyone been more noticeably shy or quiet around you?

No more than usual. :v:

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Mister Kingdom posted:

No more than usual. :v:

Anyone suddenly CashApp or Venmo you out of the blue?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Regretful Humming posted:

Anyone suddenly CashApp or Venmo you out of the blue?

I don't use those, so, no.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
My wife keeps getting calls from a women's correctional facility in Nevada. As far as she knows, she doesn't know who it could be or how they got her number.
She lets it go to voice mail but the msg seems like she has to accept the call in order for anyone to speak--but there's no way we're gonna take it.

What's the scam here?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not sure, but usually calls from a prison are collect-only at extortionate rates. There are a couple companies that rake in truckloads of cash from prisoners' families this way. I have a friend who worked in one of their call centers for a while.

IIRC the family member usually has to call the extortion-racket company and hand over credit card details to set up an account first, then the prisoner can call.

It isn't immediately obvious to me, but I'm sure there's some way someone has figured out to set up a scam playing off what is already highway robbery. Probably some variation of the ol' reliable "your grandson was arrested, please send $500 in Apple gift cards to this account or I can't vouch for his safety" scam.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 12, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TheComicFiend posted:

My wife keeps getting calls from a women's correctional facility in Nevada. As far as she knows, she doesn't know who it could be or how they got her number.
She lets it go to voice mail but the msg seems like she has to accept the call in order for anyone to speak--but there's no way we're gonna take it.

What's the scam here?

Your mother in law had a hell of a Mother’s Day.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not sure, but usually calls from a prison are collect-only at extortionate rates. There are a couple companies that rake in truckloads of cash from prisoners' families this way. I have a friend who worked in one of their call centers for a while.

IIRC the family member usually has to call the extortion-racket company and hand over credit card details to set up an account first, then the prisoner can call.

It isn't immediately obvious to me, but I'm sure there's some way someone has figured out to set up a scam playing off what is already highway robbery. Probably some variation of the ol' reliable "your grandson was arrested, please send $500 in Apple gift cards to this account or I can't vouch for his safety" scam.
Are you posting this from prison? You seem to know a lot about being inside.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

TheComicFiend posted:

What's the scam here?

Is it the Chilli Peppers Correctional Facility in Roy, New Mexico?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Dik Hz posted:

In America, it’s commonly known that our for-profit prisons extort family members for huge cash amounts just so they can have bare minimum contact with incarcerated people.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't they also extort family members for money so the prisoner can afford to buy actual* food at the commissary at hugely inflated prices?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Suddenly my posts in BFC make so much more sense, right? :haw:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't they also extort family members for money so the prisoner can afford to buy actual* food at the commissary at hugely inflated prices?

gently caress actual food, when I did a jail stint you had to buy your own condiments. And I'm not talking something "fancy" like hot sauce, we had to buy our own salt and pepper.

That's while paying $2/day for the luxury of staying there. The US correctional system is the biggest scam ever, don't get me started.

As for your question, TheComicFiend --- could actually not be a scam and a genuine repeat wrong number. Since the advent of cell phones, people don't remember or write down phone numbers, and obv you get your phone taken away when you get locked up. This leaves you with no way of knowing how to get in touch with people. A great many times I had to ask my husband, during my calls to him, "what's so and so's number?" If he mixed up a couple digits in giving me, say, my sister's number, I could see trying to call a wrong number repeatedly. Does your wife have an outgoing voicemail greeting, or is it just the stock computerized "you have reached the voicemail of: Five, five, five. Four, two, zero. Six nine, six nine" kinda thing?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
She has an actual voicemail with her name and stuff but we're not sure if the caller(s?) are actually hitting it.
It seems like she'd have to accept to call for them to actually hear it back but we've yet to pick up.

I can see that being the case and I guess we'll either sit tight til we figure it out or she just straight up blocks it.

I did ask if her best friend just had a craaaAAAa-zy weekend but as far as we know she's just been staying indoors like the rest of us.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

Suddenly my posts in BFC make so much more sense, right? :haw:
Nice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
pretty good write up on Amway right here

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/dreams-incorporated

quote:

Amway gives some idea of real chances for success in its “Amway Business Review” pamphlet, which the FTC requires it provide to all prospects. The “Business Review” is an ingenious mixture of mandated honesty and obfuscatory spin: The average monthly gross income for “active”ť distributors, for instance, is revealed to be a meager $65 a month; but the “Review” leaves out the median income and the net profit, both of which would probably be negative.

That last part is what these grifters leave out when they show a $2500 check designed to impress you. That they more than likely spent $3500 to earn it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 16, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm communicating with a scammer right now that's using an email that can only be associated with a Japanese mobile account. It's a "This is my new email address! Oh you're not friendname? Sorry to bother you. By the way, I'm an aspiring actor. Wow you live in fakearea too? What's your job?"

I said "self-employed" and sent them pigballs.jpg but they're either too dense, too stubborn, or too grateful to stop conversation. They didn't send any links yet …

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

peanut posted:

but they're either too dense, too stubborn, or too grateful to stop conversation.

Could be a bot..

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rt_hat posted:

Could be a bot..

Most likely this. I had scammerbots with scantily-clad duckface girls starting conversations out of the blue on LINE. Despite my responding to every single message from the first with goatse, they went through the entire script.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I said I want to visit Taiwan and do they have any recs and they said they've never been but President Tsai's coronavirus response was excellent.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I've recently been getting text messages from various numbers addressed to my sister (I'm on her family plan) that $120-130 in Amazon rewards are waiting if I just click this mysterious link, or something about CBD gummies.

Did the spammers finally figure out that nobody answers calls from unknown numbers anymore so they switched to texts?

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I've been getting more scam texts about Amazon gift cards awaiting my account lately as well. For every 100000 or so texts scammers send out, there's at least 1 person that's legitimately interested. Whatever you do, don't text "STOP" at the end if you want to stop receiving those texts as those messages sometimes have at the bottom- that just tells the scammers that you actually read and responded to their text.

However, robo calls aren't going away anytime soon unfortunately. Just got 3 of them this week.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Vinny the Shark posted:

I've been getting more scam texts about Amazon gift cards awaiting my account lately as well. For every 100000 or so texts scammers send out, there's at least 1 person that's legitimately interested. Whatever you do, don't text "STOP" at the end if you want to stop receiving those texts as those messages sometimes have at the bottom- that just tells the scammers that you actually read and responded to their text.

However, robo calls aren't going away anytime soon unfortunately. Just got 3 of them this week.

oh yeah, I never reply to those. I don't even bother blocking the numbers since it's a different one every time.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i get a lot of texts with russian characters implying i am a woman named Marta. i believe i have thick black hair and own a caribou ranch near Nhizny Novgorod.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I’m a Muslim woman named mirna hadid who is very interested in weed gummies and online lotteries.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

I'm an unemployed line cook named Wade who got a new phone in 2017 and decided to put my number into all kinds of get-rich-quick scummy websites online. Now, that was dumb, but even dumber was that Wade didn't know what his new phone number was, so instead put mine into the shady websites and gave my number out as his. So I still get numerous shady texts telling Wade he needs a bigger wang and how to get free covid money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zharmad posted:

I'm an unemployed line cook named Wade who got a new phone in 2017 and decided to put my number into all kinds of get-rich-quick scummy websites online. Now, that was dumb, but even dumber was that Wade didn't know what his new phone number was, so instead put mine into the shady websites and gave my number out as his. So I still get numerous shady texts telling Wade he needs a bigger wang and how to get free covid money.

How to make COVID money with that bigger wang :heysexy:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wrong phone numbers keep loving with me but they are endlessly entertaining.

I am a prostitute and my name is Bianca.

I also stole a young Chinese man’s phone. His mother was very angry about this.

I used to be an elementary school teacher. My (ex?) girlfriend was coming to town and boy was she pissed off that I didn’t answer her texts.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I'm apparently the long-lost son of a guy in a nursing home in Pennsylvania, and the fact that I'm a woman doesn't seem to deter him. I've had the same number since 2003, and it's not local to him, so who knows what happened :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I called up an outdated phone number for an artist I was trying to get in contact with, and instead of telling me i had the wrong number the person on the end said "oh she died" and hung up.

The artist was male and is still alive. Kind of a dick move imo.