Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pretty good little dines cheap from lidl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The one positive thing about being in quarantine is that I can eat cod liver straight out of the tin for lunch & nobody's going to be offended by the smell.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Is cod liver good? I almost bought some the other day because i wasnt reading the tins closely enough.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like them. Then again I like liver in most forms so :shrug: .

If anything they are more like fois gras than chicken/beef liver in texture.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Just had a can of KO skinless boneless in olive oil over a little warm rice. Poured about half the oil on the rice, put some lemon juice on the fish.

It was perfect, so good I had to post about it. Like it made the back part of my brain tingle it was so good.

naem
May 29, 2011

one of usss one of uuussssssssssss

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I also had a can of KO skinless but I ate them straight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Voice of Labor posted:

Just had a can of KO skinless boneless in olive oil over a little warm rice. Poured about half the oil on the rice, put some lemon juice on the fish.

It was perfect, so good I had to post about it. Like it made the back part of my brain tingle it was so good.

They’re even better with the skin and bones. I know it looks odd at first, but give it a shot!!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does anyone know a good source for ordering sardines in Canada?

naem
May 29, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Does anyone know a good source for ordering sardines in Canada?

Canadians don't "order," they politely request.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

drat, that looks good. I am not usually a fan of KO jalapeno 'dines, since I think the jalapenos overpower everything else in the can, but cut with some tasty rice? I will have to try that.

naem
May 29, 2011

I added the whole tin of oil and some lime juice to the rice, which had chicken stock and curry powder in it- p good also zero effort

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
fry the leftovers in another cans worth of oil

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Nice little sardine celery salad write up in NYT today, author has correct opinions on things like red pepper flakes and how good sardines on toast are.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/31/dining/celery-salad-coronavirus.html

I made this tonight; it was very good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

On a lark I looked up a katsu sauce recipe. It's just mirin, soy sauce, worcestershire, ketchup, garlic and ginger, like the unholy fusion of Japanese and English sauces. I eyeballed a batch and it came out real good. Tried it with some spam and, ersatz chicken katsu, chicken tendies tonight. Gonna mix up another batch and try it with fish sticks or 'dines tomorrow.

naem
May 29, 2011

Worcester has anchovies I think, a big part of the flavor

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah its pretty much just european fish sauce, which is great because fish sauce of some kind goes well in almost everything. They're practically interchangeable.

edit: I can't wait for the avacados to ripen. I have sardine toast plans and they're holding up the whole goddamn show.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah its pretty much just european fish sauce, which is great because fish sauce of some kind goes well in almost everything. They're practically interchangeable.

edit: I can't wait for the avacados to ripen. I have sardine toast plans and they're holding up the whole goddamn show.

There is a possibility that the roman condiment, garum, a fermented fish sauce once as ubiquitous, if not more-so, than what salt and pepper are to table seasonings today across the entirety of the Roman empire and its influence, spread east via the silk road and into the far east.
Here, asian cultures used the condiment and made it their own into a variety of sauces etc. Becoming what we know today as "fish sauce" (garum supposedly was fairly similar to, but not quite the same as a very good Thai fish sauce).

Much later, after garum went out of production and had faded from usage and memory, when Europe began trading more heavily with the far east, particularly India, a condiment returned to them. Ketchup, or catsup, via india, in which fermented fish was originally used and used to preserve vegetables. This fermented fish sauce also returned to Britain in 1837 as an ingredient in Worcestershire Sauce.

So, if you buy into the theory that garum's usage and popularity was promulgated via the silk road, "European fish sauce" just...came back to europe.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

do sardines everyday!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

'dines and

tapenade

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Nice little sardine celery salad write up in NYT today, author has correct opinions on things like red pepper flakes and how good sardines on toast are.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/31/dining/celery-salad-coronavirus.html

I am just eating this, it is really nice. Never thought to use celery like this, its freshness marries with the heaviness of the 'dines perfectly.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I'm putting anchovies in my chicken stock today. Fish everything.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Roki B posted:

I'm putting anchovies in my chicken stock today. Fish everything.

:hmmyes:

I have little dried anchovies from the nearby Asian grocery store & adding it to stocks is a great way to increase the umami flavor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

made some fried rice with sardine oil and a can of ko was delicious.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A few nights ago I sprinkled some Lawrys seasoning salt onto some dines along with some lemon juice. It was good but, unsurprisingly, too salty. I've been toying around with making bootleg lawrys without the salt. It's not working out, so I've decided to move my experimentation to the core active non salt, non sugar ingredients of lawrys: onion and garlic powder and expand from there. I mulled a batch onion and garlic powder with Italian herb mix, gonna throw in a pinch of salt and some red wine vinegar and use that on some dines tomorrow.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Had some mustard greens left over, so I put sardines in, and wow, that was a good lunch.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

So yeah, one part garlic powder, one part onion powder one part dried Italian herb blend, pinch of salt muddled together, red wine vinegar to reconstitute. It's good dine sauce, subtle and with characteristics of both vinaigrette and Italian dressing.

I remember why I like Seasons so much. Other than being cheap at costco, they aren't overpoweringly smokey.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

got a large stack of Bar Harbor Wild Herring Filets that I put in the roni stockpile a month ago

someone tell me theyre mediocre so i can stop thinking about them

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

A few nights ago I sprinkled some Lawrys seasoning salt onto some dines along with some lemon juice. It was good but, unsurprisingly, too salty. I've been toying around with making bootleg lawrys without the salt. It's not working out, so I've decided to move my experimentation to the core active non salt, non sugar ingredients of lawrys: onion and garlic powder and expand from there. I mulled a batch onion and garlic powder with Italian herb mix, gonna throw in a pinch of salt and some red wine vinegar and use that on some dines tomorrow.

Lawrys is 1.99 for 12 ounces. it's on point poo poo, you just gotta be careful with it. don't re-invent the wheel here, just don't abuse the Lawrys. a light dusting. Hold it high above the food when you dust it.

i eat the skinless boneless spanish style dines and piss off with your 'eat the bones' talk. they're the poo poo.

i also eat riga sprats so you know i'm not a pussy.

i have something to prove here w/r/t canned fish. don't ask why, i don't wanna dig that deep.

WILDTURKEY101 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 5, 2020

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

So yeah, one part garlic powder, one part onion powder one part dried Italian herb blend, pinch of salt muddled together, red wine vinegar to reconstitute. It's good dine sauce, subtle and with characteristics of both vinaigrette and Italian dressing.

I remember why I like Seasons so much. Other than being cheap at costco, they aren't overpoweringly smokey.

hell yeah slap that in a pasta salad

naem
May 29, 2011

with possible meat shortages this next year I’m glad I’ve stocked up on alternative protein thanks thread

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

So how much longer until one of your sardine groupies is stocking up on "alternative protein" and the 'dine thread finally gets a grandchild?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We are all already grand children of the sea, friend.

Fried up some green onion and green bean with some mushed up King Oscar and put it on Samyang hot chicken ramen. Was very excellent. Have some 2x hot coming soon and I am optimistically scared, I have not challenged myself to spicy food in some time.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Let's say a man desired to be self sufficient in dines. What's the smallest, cheapest boat/netting setup that would allow for harvesting of the pilchard bounty?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Let's say a man desired to be self sufficient in dines. What's the smallest, cheapest boat/netting setup that would allow for harvesting of the pilchard bounty?

A shopping cart and an Aldi.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's going to be some rainy days but you can't give up hope. You must always return the cart for your deposit back or the economics stop working out.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

If you're serious, I think a location might help. The answer would be very different if you were in middle Arizona vs coastal Spain.

I live on the coast of wa, and I'm pretty sure you have to get pretty far out for fish like that, but I can basically yell at the water and get my daily limit of Dungeness

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 8, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I keep telling myself I should go surf fishing since it's the only activity that allows you to go chill out on the beach right now. Spot, croaker and roundhead are almost sardines but the bones are definitely too big to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm not looking at anything in the immediate future, but given that we may be living through the decline of western civilization putting an idle thought towards securing the capture and processing of little fishes seems prudent.

For making practical examples and data easier to apply, let's say northern california to southern oregon.

Where do the little fishes run, what's the 'dinest port to dock in along the coast?

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 8, 2020