Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
people who are both incredibly attractive, wealthy, and famous and know that they are might be less pliable and less impressed by your own possession of those characteristics, which gives predatory shitheads who are also celebrities plenty of incentive to cheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
NOW is the perfect time for my return....
https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/1258105560643371014?s=20

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I literally said "Oh gently caress OFF" aloud when I saw that. Jesus.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ahahaha gently caress you Kevin.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I hate this loving hosed up Kevin.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He has, surely, always been like that and just had a really good publicist.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm gonna be frank (not Underwood) and just say that in part I understand some of Kevin Spacey's frustration. He gets castigated and a piece of poo poo like Bryan Singer who has been like a loving pimp for teenage boys in Hollywood for something like 15 loving years and it's just like an "open secret" and I guess they're OK with it because the boys are jailbait and not like, a year or two younger? :confused: And regardless all the parties he threw were EXPRESSLY for industry men who liked to gently caress teenage boys and get high on meth/coke/etc, and also teenage boys with lofty ambitions (as long as they're hot). Horrendous. He did this for *years* and probably facilitated the abuse of literally THOUSANDS of underage boys, based on everything I know and the length of time he's been getting away with his poo poo.

I guess it kinda just bothers me that Spacey has become the biggest poster boy for the sexual abuse *of* men, when really someone like Bryan Singer is FAR more deserving of the mantle, in my eyes.

Also, do people just forget about Victor Salva? I'm sure he has been mentioned here before. It.... boggles my loving MIND the extent to which he has always had connections and been able to sweep his horrific abuse of children under the rug for the most part. This is a guy who did UNSPEAKABLE things to the lead actor of his debut film Clownhouse, a 12-year-old boy. Being a filmmaker, he filmed those acts of rape, of course. It's worth noting that there are several nude shots of this boy in the film, and the "gaze" of the camera is downright loving stomach-churning. It's odd seeing a very young Sam Rockwell in the film, though. I could only watch the first 20 minutes, it was excruciating to the point of literally making me feel both physically ill and nauseous. Despite this poo poo in his past, Salva is STILL getting work directing mainstream films. I mean HOW in the actual gently caress..?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

wait isn’t this the same defense of joe biden

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

inferis posted:

Basically it is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

spacey became the poster boy by never shutting the gently caress up and going away, no sympathy is needed or deserved

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vegetable posted:

He has, surely, always been like that and just had a really good publicist.

Rumor has always been that Spacey is a huge rear end in a top hat on set, but on the same token also that his horrible behavior was incredibly obvious.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/guy-pearce-suggests-kevin-spacey-groped-him-on-set-1.3552692

https://decider.com/2017/11/08/jon-...dium=SocialFlow

quote:

"There are many of us with a 'Kevin Spacey story,'" Cavazos wrote in a post that has been translated from Spanish.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sexual-misconduct/kevin-spacey-accused-sexual-misconduct-second-actor-n816336

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

inferis posted:

I don't know, I don't think it's really a defense in this case? It's not an argument of kind, it's one of degree; they're all monsters, but the extent and breadth of their depravity varies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

kaworu posted:

I'm gonna be frank (not Underwood) and just say that in part I understand some of Kevin Spacey's frustration. He gets castigated and a piece of poo poo like Bryan Singer who has been like a loving pimp for teenage boys in Hollywood for something like 15 loving years and it's just like an "open secret" and I guess they're OK with it because the boys are jailbait and not like, a year or two younger? :confused: And regardless all the parties he threw were EXPRESSLY for industry men who liked to gently caress teenage boys and get high on meth/coke/etc, and also teenage boys with lofty ambitions (as long as they're hot). Horrendous. He did this for *years* and probably facilitated the abuse of literally THOUSANDS of underage boys, based on everything I know and the length of time he's been getting away with his poo poo.

I guess it kinda just bothers me that Spacey has become the biggest poster boy for the sexual abuse *of* men, when really someone like Bryan Singer is FAR more deserving of the mantle, in my eyes.

Also, do people just forget about Victor Salva? I'm sure he has been mentioned here before. It.... boggles my loving MIND the extent to which he has always had connections and been able to sweep his horrific abuse of children under the rug for the most part. This is a guy who did UNSPEAKABLE things to the lead actor of his debut film Clownhouse, a 12-year-old boy. Being a filmmaker, he filmed those acts of rape, of course. It's worth noting that there are several nude shots of this boy in the film, and the "gaze" of the camera is downright loving stomach-churning. It's odd seeing a very young Sam Rockwell in the film, though. I could only watch the first 20 minutes, it was excruciating to the point of literally making me feel both physically ill and nauseous. Despite this poo poo in his past, Salva is STILL getting work directing mainstream films. I mean HOW in the actual gently caress..?

The Salva thing is kind of mind boggling because it's not like he was this huge talent before all the poo poo went down. The vast majority of his career has been post child rape conviction.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I definitely say Jeepers Creepers whenever I see his mugshot, so at least he stays on brand

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

porfiria posted:

The Salva thing is kind of mind boggling because it's not like he was this huge talent before all the poo poo went down. The vast majority of his career has been post child rape conviction.

There's been some pushback on him getting work because when he went into pre-production for Jeepers Creepers 3 the casting agency for the part of Canada he wanted to film in told him to gently caress off.

Of course that didn't stop him from actually making the movie or Syfy channel paying money to air it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw that movie, having never seen a jeepers creepers film before, cut up on syfy with only subtitles and no audio while donating plasma for rent money.

It sucked poo poo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If Spacey wants to do anything productive, he should expose some of his fellow predators.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's too bad for Spacey that Netflix already had to publicly dump him, 'cause normally they would probably would love to sweep up disgraced fucker and hand them a show.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

davidspackage posted:

If Spacey wants to do anything productive, he should expose some of his fellow predators.

And that's exactly why he will never be worth pity or redemption: he's too proud to admit that there was anything he did wrong, much less to turn on the people he did it with who are just as openly known but less punished. Hell, depending on how much of the rabbit hole you believe, he's tripled down on siding with his former allies for aid in silencing his own accusers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, that, and all his accusers dying of accidents before trial.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kaworu posted:

I've never even heard of this guy, and this story sounds horrible. I'm torn between wanting to know more, and not wanting to google more to A)not have that poo poo in my search history and B)maintain a healthy "ignorance is bliss" stance on whatever the gently caress that is.

Child rape AND clowns? What the gently caress, how did that movie get made? I'm never going anywhere near that. I don't mean to make light of it, it's just...yikes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sexual predators are completely normal in Hollywood. Realising this explains so much.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

someone find out who the people in those photos are because they'll end up dead in a "suicide" soon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sexual predators are completely normal in Hollywood. Realising this explains so much.

Any closely knit circle of power tends to attract some really hosed up sex freaks. Hollywood, British TV, Silicon Valley, etc

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It probably didn't hurt that the second half of Salva's career was bankrolled by Francis Coppola.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Origami Dali posted:

It probably didn't hurt that the second half of Salva's career was bankrolled by Francis Coppola.

Is Francis Coppola a rapist?

..oh gently caress, is Nick Cage a rapist?? :psyduck:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Fly Molo posted:

Please no. If I can’t watch The Rock at least once a year I’ll be very upset

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Julius CSAR posted:

Please no. If I can’t watch The Rock at least once a year I’ll be very upset

Well didn't Michael Bay hold auditions where he made teen girls wash his car while he sprayed them with water or something?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fly Molo posted:

Nic Cage is the type of actor where if he raped somebody, we would very definitely know, very quickly. Nobody cares about protecting Nic Cage anymore.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
nic cage is probably the only celebrity left who would genuinely emotionally wound me if he turned out to be a monster

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fly Molo posted:

No, he's just bad with money. Good actor, great dad, not a sex pest, but NEVER let him be your accountant.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He seems to spend most of his time between shoots getting shitfaced in New Orleans and finding ridiculous things to buy that he couldn't afford even on an A-lister salary.

Also he seems to like where's he at career-wise since he's too big of a deal on the set of a direct-to-Netflix movie to be told that he can't do German expressionism again

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Origami Dali posted:

Aww man, some of our faves WERE included.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll never be able to wrap my head around Nic Cage and Johnny Depp running out of money despite having an ungodly amount of it. Depp more than Cage of course but still.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There’s many celebrities I would be upset to find out were rapists but mister rogers is the only one I would actually be surprised about.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll never be able to wrap my head around Nic Cage and Johnny Depp running out of money despite having an ungodly amount of it. Depp more than Cage of course but still.

Best I can figure Nicolas cage just wants to buy all the things, no matter how dumb: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/09/why-nicholas-cage-blew-150-million-dollars-on-a-dinosaur-skull-and-two-castles.html

And honestly, is over spending any more immoral than hoarding wealth? Humanity has created a society that gives Nicolas Cage more money than he needs, is him immediately blowing that money on ridiculous stuff a worse thing to do than indefinitely storing it in an offshore account? I suppose you could argue that he has a moral responsibility redistribute his wealth more evenly, but why is a task that important left up to a single individual? The fact that Nicolas Cage actually spending the money he earns is seen as ridiculous is not so much a personal failing as it is a failure of capitalism as a whole for creating such an insane situation in the first place.

I haven't put as much thought into Johnny Depp and what his whole deal is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, the closest to a moral failing in Nick Cage's spending would be if it hurt his children, but worst case scenario they should still be able to sell most of his ridiculous stuff when he's gone and be able to live a comfortable, if not as luxurious, life. I've said it before but pro athletes and artists (actors, writers, directors, etc.) are the only category of rich people who come close to actually earning their extravagant amounts of money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Owning 15 homes is stupid no matter how rich you are.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Groovelord Neato posted:

Owning 15 homes is stupid no matter how rich you are.

Yes it is, but here's the thing: whether or not Nicolas Cage owns 15 homes or 1 home doesn't change the fact that he has enough money to buy 15 homes in the first place. Either that money is being spent on houses or it's sitting in a bank account accumulating interest. By actually spending his money Nicolas Cage is, in theory, doing what is required for a capitalist society to function by putting that money back in the economy. This being seen as an abnormal situation is a glaring highlight of the inherent failure of capitalism. Certain individuals make such insane amounts of money that the only way to get rid of it all is to spend it CONSTANTLY on a bunch of ridiculous nonsense. Most people who make that much money don't do that, they instead hoard their wealth indefinitely. This is seen as normal.

The most hosed up part is that, in the grand scheme of thing, a dude like Nicolas Cage isn't even close to rich. 150 million dollars is chump change compared to what the 1% makes who are out there hoarding even more wealth than entire countries make in a year.

I've gone wildly off topic though, so I'll stop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
We could try raising taxes on the ultra wealthy to pay for a halfway competent social safety net.

I'll see myself out.