Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

flashy_mcflash posted:

The feel-good movie of the year!

This holiday season, a family is brought together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Protip for watching The Lodge: use subtitles or headphones.

The audio mixing isn't bad, but a lot of the dialogue is whispered.

I feel like I missed key information just because I couldn't make out what was said, and what should have been a horror slam-dunk was muted for me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I never got around to Ash v Evil Dead season 3 and haven't seen the first two since they came out, so I just started re-watching the whole thing. I forgot how insanely bloody it is for a TV show. Or even for a movie for that matter. Back when I first watched the first episode I kept thinking "wow they really nailed Sam Raimi's style" and then of course when the credits pop up it was in fact directed by Raimi.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know how y'all do it. I need pure escapism right now, anything that's feel-bad is going to get a big hard pass from me. Give me fun and goofy monsters in a time of mental emotional and physical stress.

I dunno, the horrors of movies pale in comparison to the horrors of the hellworld we currently exist in. I can say that I've never considered a horror movie to be feel-bad, now, Requiem for a Dream, that's a feel-bad movie.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Protip for watching The Lodge: use subtitles or headphones.

The audio mixing isn't bad, but a lot of the dialogue is whispered.

I feel like I missed key information just because I couldn't make out what was said, and what should have been a horror slam-dunk was muted for me.

My roommate can have an, uneven sleeping schedule, so I actually watch most of my horror movies with headphones. Even with headphones there were a few parts that I had trouble hearing, but I suspect it was intentional.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's one of my favourite movies and I don't think there's a better director out there to handle the left turns and wild tonal shifts.

He's just producing it. Director is same as original.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know how y'all do it. I need pure escapism right now, anything that's feel-bad is going to get a big hard pass from me. Give me fun and goofy monsters in a time of mental emotional and physical stress.

TBH I feel like poo poo can loop around to feel good. Like I can watch a brutal horror movie and be like "poo poo, least I'm not THAT guy!"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

He's just producing it. Director is same as original.

Er, yes. Meant to put producer in there. I'm really glad they brought Jang Joon-Hwan on there too lead the project just because his original vision absolutely has to stay intact.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can do "feel bad" but its gotta be spaced out. I watched Midsommar April 31st. Its gonna be awhile before I give The Lodge a look.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OpenSourceBurger posted:

TBH I feel like poo poo can loop around to feel good. Like I can watch a brutal horror movie and be like "poo poo, least I'm not THAT guy!"

:hmmorks:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

OpenSourceBurger posted:

The way the ending of Hereditary plays out makes the whole movie much easier to stomach in retrospect. I left the theatre with a smile, because I had just been told a really good joke.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Yup the ending of Hereditary is actually hilarious in hindsight

It's just a demon being completely loving bummed he's stuck with these lovely followers and he's stuck in this body. His expression is just "Man.......THIS is the cult I get?"

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Back when The Lodge was released to our local independent theater, my friend and his wife both described it as "awful," which disappointed me at the time since I thought the trailer looked cool. I watched it yesterday on streaming and loved it. Goodnight Mommy, to me, was more disturbing and left me with a more icky feeling than The Lodge did. Comparisons to Hereditary are understandable, and while nothing in The Lodge matches the powerhouse performance of Toni Collette, I felt that Alicia Silverstone was great and made the movie for me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I can do "feel bad" but its gotta be spaced out. I watched Midsommar April 31st. Its gonna be awhile before I give The Lodge a look.
Watching Midsommar on a day that doesn't exist feels right.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Back when The Lodge was released to our local independent theater, my friend and his wife both described it as "awful," which disappointed me at the time since I thought the trailer looked cool. I watched it yesterday on streaming and loved it. Goodnight Mommy, to me, was more disturbing and left me with a more icky feeling than The Lodge did. Comparisons to Hereditary are understandable, and while nothing in The Lodge matches the powerhouse performance of Toni Collette, I felt that Alicia Silverstone was great and made the movie for me.

I go into every movie blind, and I was totally looking forward to my teenage crush doing some heavy horror lifting as sort of a late-term scream queen.

Nope!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

One of the key points of horror is that it allows us to explore what it would be like to feel imperiled, to feel like we might die, without actually being at risk. And its that safe space for exploration that makes it so enduring.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:agreed:

Reading the news is harder on my psyche than even the most harrowing horror film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's how I feel with most horror. But when you get into the true crime or giallo or deep grieving kind of stuff its a different story. The horror screen only provides so much distance from something like Hereditary or Climax or Pet Sematary. When they tap into that real stuff it hits in a real way.

But I also don't watch the local news and never watch anything like Criminal Minds or SVU.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Reconsider this as SVU 9 times out of 10 is just Chris Meloni or Ice-T poo poo talking rapists and pedos and it's pretty satisfying

The other 1 times is insane poo poo like that episode where they solved a crime using Second Life lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Goddamn The Lodge is hosed up. I was legitimately horrified which is a surprisingly rare feeling considering how many horror movies I watch.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Reconsider this as SVU 9 times out of 10 is just Chris Meloni or Ice-T poo poo talking rapists and pedos and it's pretty satisfying

The other 1 times is insane poo poo like that episode where they solved a crime using Second Life lol

KIDS ARE DIPPING THEIR JOINTS IN KITTY LITTER AND SOY SAUCE. CALLING IT A BROWN CHRISTMAS.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OpenSourceBurger posted:

As a counterpoint, do not reconsider this, because SVU is (at least in the late seasons) basically purpose-built to crack-ping people into thin-blue-line pieces of poo poo by portraying police brutality and malfeasance as the only possible alternative to Pedophile Rape Anarchy

It's not just depicting a gross worldview, it's actively and deliberately trying to manipulate the viewer into sharing that worldview and shutting out any counterpoint to that worldview as pedophile apologia. Ice-T is funny on it, but him not really knowing what the hell he was doing on the show and not really understanding the show 100% tracks, because given his stated beliefs he'd probably not have the easiest time sleeping at night if he knew.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
^ Yeah the seasons post-Stabler are generally pretty awful. Also the show has one of the worst cases of "OH INTERNAL AFFAIRS HUH? loving RAT SQUAD SHITHEAD SCUMBAGS" in all of crime drama.

SVU is a glorious trashfire but like every 6 episodes there will be some legit great acting.

Like there's an amazing episode where the entire thing leads up to Stabler finding a guy who had been abusing his kids and selling the videos. He sneaks into the guys bedroom while he's sleeping and points his gun at his head and the look of "i wish I could loving kill this man, I could do it so easily" on his face is outstanding.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I watched SVU in the very beginning because I was a big Oz fan and it shared a ton of cast members and crew I liked but I bailed eventually because it seemed to be about equal parts really terrible human misery and using that human misery to justify vaguely psychotic "justice." I think I bailed sometime around the 3rd time Meloni gave a monologue about how badly he felt like going on a murder spree. And that was probably the good days.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

no ones gonna crack ping my rear end

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

no ones gonna crack ping my rear end

too late

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I did a search for "crack-ping" to figure out exactly what it means and the first result was a National Review article from 2007 about New York City banning metal baseball bats in high school and whether it was an outrage that government was sticking its hands in the American Pasttime or a good thing that it was bringing back the purity of wooden bats.

Truly horror.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

I did a search for "crack-ping" to figure out exactly what it means and the first result was a National Review article from 2007 about New York City banning metal baseball bats in high school and whether it was an outrage that government was sticking its hands in the American Pasttime or a good thing that it was bringing back the purity of wooden bats.

Truly horror.

You should post in C-SPAM.

I also just realized which thread this was

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who the gently caress watches SVU expecting morality you watch it so Ice-T can look tough and make dope quips

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Yeah just loving LOL if anyone watched SVU (or any American sitcom) expecting The Noble Eightfold path or anything close to humanist empathy.

People who had their views shaped by SVU are today over-armed chuds proclaiming this virus to be a hoax so that it can be their turn being the stoic white man with a big-rear end gun.

If you want real horror, take a good long look at American masculinity.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I watch SVU for the one-off dock worker/warehouse actors who are caught into a conversation in the middle of moving heavy boxes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Original Law & Order or nothing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you want real horror check out Sonic the Hedgehog (2020), which I paid ten united states dollars for so all of you can talk about it itt

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Requiem for a Dream

Leaving Las Vegas and Kids are pretty big bummers, too.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kids is awful though. It's like having Fox News shout in your face about all the sex children are probably having, somewhere.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The Escape Room front-page featured on Nexflix (Canada) is not the Escape Room I wanted.

Finally realized this an hour in. Sonuva... :bang:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I mean yea, in the same way Requiem does it but about drugs.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watching SVU inevitably leads me to listening to Body Count so that's not all bad

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

feedmyleg posted:

When I was a depressed teenager I actively sought out the most miserable movies and books I could possibly find because it made me feel validated.

I'm not sure I'd have the same reaction today, though. Back then I felt like everyone was denying that things were really that bad and I was special for realizing they were, now I'm mature enough to realize that most people know and just find ways to cope.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just watched The Lodge and I went into it blind, save for this thread’s recommendation. It got a genuine scream out of me in the beginning when the mom shot herself :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hm, George Romero's Season of the Witch is an odd movie. I was expecting horror but there is absolutely none whatsoever, but there is also very little drama or much of anything else. I was very tired when I watched it so maybe I missed a lot of what was going on, but overall it left me pretty puzzled as to what the point was apart from the good ending.