Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

On a recommendation from a recent Cum Town episode I saw The Long Good Friday and Day of the Jackal. Both were great, I'm amazed I'd never heard of either one. Any similar movies, which I guess would be 70s/80s European crime thrillers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

On a recommendation from a recent Cum Town episode I saw The Long Good Friday and Day of the Jackal. Both were great, I'm amazed I'd never heard of either one. Any similar movies, which I guess would be 70s/80s European crime thrillers?

Z
State of Siege
Army of Shadows
Le cercle rouge
Get Carter
The Hit

Also this is cheating but in terms of American directors working with that sort of material/feel:
French Connection 2 (I think it's really underrated, although admittedly you'd probably want to see the first one if you haven't)
Sorcerer

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I watched the Apollo 11 documentary on Hulu and it was really great. No narration, just archival film and some interviews. It didn't force-feed the story to you, just let it play out. Can you recommend some other documentaries in that vein on major streaming sites? Space-related is great but any compelling subject is fine as long as it has a similar presentation style.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
For All Mankind is worth tracking down but I'm not sure how redundant it is with the Apollo 11 doc, haven't seen it yet.

If you've got Kanopy you might like stuff by Frederick Wiseman like Ex Libris and National Gallery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoE1NA_zi1M

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

I watched the Apollo 11 documentary on Hulu and it was really great. No narration, just archival film and some interviews. It didn't force-feed the story to you, just let it play out. Can you recommend some other documentaries in that vein on major streaming sites? Space-related is great but any compelling subject is fine as long as it has a similar presentation style.
Maidan fits the bill and it's great.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

fenix down posted:

Maidan fits the bill and it's great.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to rent unless I sign up for Kanopy. Anyone know anything about that service? Worth subbing to?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to rent unless I sign up for Kanopy. Anyone know anything about that service? Worth subbing to?

On the plus side, Kanopy is free with many public library memberships. On the down side, you can't subscribe otherwise.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

morestuff posted:

On the plus side, Kanopy is free with many public library memberships. On the down side, you can't subscribe otherwise.

I live in a little 8000 person town and my library isn't supported :( Oddly, the library in the next town over - a town of 1500 people - is listed. Unfortunately I don't have a card for that library.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, it’s a real crapshoot

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just watched Sea of Love last week and rewatched Basic Instinct for the first time in decades and man I miss the days of erotic thrillers. It's like t&a Hitchcock. What are some really good ones?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The Last Seduction is amazing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

and Body Heat

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Ozon's The Double Lover is a loving riot, and his earlier film Swimming Pool is fun too. De Palma's Femme Fatale likewise. I remember not caring for Dream Lover with James Spader and Mädchen Amick when I watched it, but it's stayed in my mind far longer than I ever would've expected, and I honestly think I'd really like it were I to revisit it, even with all its issues. I've always had a soft spot for Two Moon Junction, as well, even though it has a really bad rep.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

I just watched Sea of Love last week and rewatched Basic Instinct for the first time in decades and man I miss the days of erotic thrillers. It's like t&a Hitchcock. What are some really good ones?

-Against All Odds
-Body Double
-Bound (1996)
-Fatal Attraction
-Sleeping with the Enemy

-Jade (has a good car chase at least).

PS I keep forgetting to watch Sliver (1993).

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Origami Dali posted:

Watch Body Double for a really thorough deconstruction of the whole genre, and also De Palma's best film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's a fun action/crime movie from the 60s or early 70s that doesn't star a secret agent, criminal, cop, or reporter? I'm thinking an everyman gets caught up in some spy-style hijinks—maybe halfway between James Bond and North by Northwest, but open for interpretation.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

What's a fun action/crime movie from the 60s or early 70s that doesn't star a secret agent, criminal, cop, or reporter? I'm thinking an everyman gets caught up in some spy-style hijinks—maybe halfway between James Bond and North by Northwest, but open for interpretation.

Pulp, starring Michael Caine?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069134/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_109

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM6YuFZU2Zk

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

feedmyleg posted:

How to Steal a Million

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ooh, yeah both of those look pretty ideal. I was looking at The Ipcress File and Gambit, but Pulp hadn't come across my radar and it seems closer to what I was looking for and sleazy writers are way way up my alley. How to Steal a Million looks like it has just the right tone and it's been on my list forever. Was also looking at Murderers' Row and That Man from Rio but they're both explicitly spy flicks. Thanks, folks!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Scraping the bottom of the Netflix barrel. Let's see what's left on my list:
The Place Beyond the Pines, Alpha Dog, Rum Diary, Kickboxer: Retaliation. Thoughts?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Kickboxer: Retaliation has Christopher Lambert in it? the whole cast of that movie seems absurd

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 28, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

Kickboxer: Retaliation has Christopher Lambert in it? the whole cast of that movie seems absurd

Mike Tyson is also in a prominent role, and our protagonist fights The Mountain from Game of Thrones in what may literally be the longest one on one fight scene I've ever seen in a film

It's basically an 80s Van Damme (who is also in it, obviously) film made in 2019

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Scraping the bottom of the Netflix barrel. Let's see what's left on my list:
The Place Beyond the Pines, Alpha Dog, Rum Diary, Kickboxer: Retaliation. Thoughts?
Place Beyond the Pines is good, haven't seen the others. I've been recommending Serious Man, Moonlight, and Hugo for Netflix movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
1960s flicks that are fun, flirty, and a bit sexy? Any genre, ideally European but not necessarily.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

1960s flicks that are fun, flirty, and a bit sexy? Any genre, ideally European but not necessarily.

It is impossible for any movie to fit your description better than Breathless

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

feedmyleg posted:

regulargonzalez posted:

It is impossible for any movie to fit your description better than Breathless

A Woman Is a Woman, too. Also this run of four from Rohmer's Six Moral Tales: The Collectors, My Night at Maud's, Claire's Knee (actually 1970, but still completely tied in with Rohmer's late-60s output, to be fair), Cleo in the Afternoon (actually 1972, but likewise). Some of them might be a bit more serious than fun, perhaps, but they're definitely all flirty and sexy, and all eminently watchable. Maud's, in particular, is fabulous. Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Graduate if you head stateside.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

-Bedazzled
-I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Young Girls of Rochefort

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Specific request but what are some good films set in Berlin with musical or political themes. Thinking of stuff like Wings of Desire, Decoder, Christiane F., and Knife in the Head. Preferably from the 70s-80s but outside that era works too.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

TrixRabbi posted:

Specific request but what are some good films set in Berlin with musical or political themes. Thinking of stuff like Wings of Desire, Decoder, Christiane F., and Knife in the Head. Preferably from the 70s-80s but outside that era works too.

Would Cabaret be too obvious?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mother Night
The Lives of Others
The Damned
The Counterfeiters
Mephisto
Invincible

Sorry, most of these are outside the era you requested, but yeah... it seems like Cabaret is the obvious answer here.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cabaret is actually a good rec because I've never seen it.

edit: Which Mephisto is that?

Also, should probably specify, I don't mind some Nazi-era stuff and obviously that poo poo resonates throughout everything in Germany leading up to today, but I'm more interested in post-war. I'm most interested in that unrest that rose up around the time of the RAF/Baader-Meinhof or the underground arts world of that time.

Double edit: It occurs to me the phrase I'm looking for here is the New German Cinema. :p Though Mephisto and The Damned both look very good.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 7, 2020

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Some of these might be set in German cities that aren't Berlin (some might be Austria):
The Gold of Love (Das Gold der Liebe)
Germany in Autumn (Deutschland im Herbst)
Berlin Now
Neonstadt
The Third Generation (Die dritte Generation)
Supermarkt
Volkspolizei 1985
The Patriot (Die Patriotin)
The Power of Emotion (Die Macht der Gefühle)
Ticket of No Return (Bildnis einer Trinkerin)
Asphalt Night (Asphaltnacht)
The All-Around Reduced Personality (Die Allseitig reduzierte Persönlichkeit - Redupers)
The Schleyer Tape (Das Schleyer-Band)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

That's 100% what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

It's outside of the era, and it's PRE-war, but Sternberg's The Blue Angel fits the bill. Maybe as a precursor/prologue to this type of film.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

In general I am interested in doing a deeper dive on German cinema and The Blue Angel is a long overdue blind spot.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The Marriage of Maria Braun is pretty good, deals with post war stuff and its partly shot in Berlin. its from 1978 so it even fits the era you wanted!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Watch this with the English dub if you want to see this as a comedy

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m looking for movies in which people “gently caress” remotely using weird future technology. Think Demolition Man, Ready Player One (not explicit, but implied with that force feedback suit), Her/Blade Runner 2049, Tammy and the T-Rex.

E: how could I forget Lawnmower Man?

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gamer has people loving-by-proxy. I don't recall if Surrogates has a sex scene, but there's at least the implication that they use the robot bodies to do so. And, similarly, the Matrix series' sex scene is in the real world, but obviously people are doing it in the matrix.

It's a TV show, but Black Mirror got into virtual sex in San Junipero and Striking Vipers, the latter of which is focused squarely on that.