Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Factorio. Satisfactory is factorio lite but in 3d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's arguments for both sides here. Factorio has more complex ratios but you can completely pave over them with bus concepts.

Building overflows and bus type stuff in Satisfactory is a bother so you actually have an impetus to follow the ratios exactly per final good even if they are a bit simpler of a journey from raw to final.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Samopsa posted:

Factorio. Satisfactory is factorio lite but in 3d.

After watching a satisfactory video on running fluids I’m not so sure.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dogstile posted:

I mean, same. But that's not how its supposed to work in the real world, it just happens due to any number of reasons, including signalling fuckups, trains being late, etc. The game doesn't model fuckups because its not fun.

The game doesn't model timetables either since you end up with a bunch of trains piling up on the same platform.

Either use timetables (player or machine generated) so you can have Model Choo Choo Play Time, AND don't abstract out the station design and force the player to make decisions about what cargo can be loaded and unloaded where and how

OR

Provide automatic routing because it's a game and your computer has the processing power in the Future Year of 2020 to handle it, if OpenTTD can, and because requiring that level of detail reduces the game to a spreadsheet simulator.

There's got to be thought beyond "well you have to pick the platform ahead of time in the real world, so :effort:"

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

In Factorio, you can avoid basically all of the math by "just build more", and it's very cheap to expand. Playing "suboptimally" is not a big problem as the worst case scenario is that you use up your resources slower and they last longer. Alternatively, you can install mods that have various calculators that do the math for you (which are confusing to use but powerful).

In Satisfactory, the math is a constant constraint and you are punished much more for not doing the math. Machines are more expensive in terms of land, time use, and resources so you can't just overbuild the way you can in Factorio.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

esquilax posted:

In Factorio, you can avoid basically all of the math by "just build more", and it's very cheap to expand. Playing "suboptimally" is not a big problem as the worst case scenario is that you use up your resources slower and they last longer. Alternatively, you can install mods that have various calculators that do the math for you (which are confusing to use but powerful).

In Satisfactory, the math is a constant constraint and you are punished much more for not doing the math. Machines are more expensive in terms of land, time use, and resources so you can't just overbuild the way you can in Factorio.

Yeah this is what I'm beginning to see from watching various videos. Hmmmm. Got 29 year old son to buy Satisfactory for a co op day on Mothers day but I'll have to see if I can convince him to try Factorio instead......

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Factorio also has a random map generator. Now admittedly, it doesn't matter all that much, since the maps are functionally irrelevant (basically, all you really care about in these games are finding the locations of the 3-4 relevant major resources and building around it). That being said, I can't stand games in this genre that have fixed maps/scenarios with no procedural/random maps/missions, so if that makes a difference to you like it does to me, Factorio would be the way to go.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thats the biggest drawbavk with Dawn of Man IMO, fixed maps, terrible ones at that. Feels like you are fighting the map layout rather than the mechanics.

Anno 1404 was a lot more fun when starting with a few ships but no island. Those ships are critical in getting enough tools to get your own supply chain up and running.
I did set up a trade route in my first game but it took 30 minutes of fast forward to get some tools.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Hmmm, they just introduced Chernobyl Nuclear Power in Workers and Resources Soviet Union, might want to check it out if you own the game.

Dang it. I can’t wait to fight through it’s horrible placement and UI again but this game can’t keep me away. I didn’t realize they added ships, too!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I know Autonauts has been discussed a fair bit here, and I see that it is on sale.

How "done" is it for an early access game? The main negative reviews on Steam decry that there really isn't much game there, and if it really isn't fleshed out or doesn't have things like victory conditions, etc., then I don't want it yet.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SlyFrog posted:

Factorio also has a random map generator. Now admittedly, it doesn't matter all that much, since the maps are functionally irrelevant (basically, all you really care about in these games are finding the locations of the 3-4 relevant major resources and building around it). That being said, I can't stand games in this genre that have fixed maps/scenarios with no procedural/random maps/missions, so if that makes a difference to you like it does to me, Factorio would be the way to go.

Satisfactory is big enough that by the time most folks will have a starting location memorized they’ve probably hit burnout on the systems more than once.

Also, as far as math goes Satisfactory just added or will add in the next update a calculator to the character UI, which I’m devoutly hoping will be hotkey-able. Almost all of the math until you get to petro-fluids is based around whole-number multiples of fifteen, and once you get into more math-heavy ratios you probably have sufficient machine-overclocking supplies that you can just adjust input demand on the final one or two production steps for a particular widget to require fewer mental decimal -> fraction conversions.

Factorio definitely has more mature options in terms of player-built math UI tools packaged into mods, though as stated some have their own learning curves to effectively utilize.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I find Factorio way harder than Satisfactory, but a big part of that is that three dimensions makes it much easier to organize conveyor belts and power poles, which can be directed pretty freely between two points instead of having to plan for the spacing of every tile, which was a major roadblock to my enjoyment of Factorio. The "you get punished for not doing the math" angle is weird to me because the structures definitely don't feel prohibitively expensive, and you can just as easily build a main bus line in Satisfactory as you would in Factorio.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

I know Autonauts has been discussed a fair bit here, and I see that it is on sale.

How "done" is it for an early access game? The main negative reviews on Steam decry that there really isn't much game there, and if it really isn't fleshed out or doesn't have things like victory conditions, etc., then I don't want it yet.

There's more than enough content to keep you busy. It took me around 60 hours to get to the final (current) tech level. There aren't any victory conditions other than reaching the top tech level, and I'm not sure if that's going to change.

The reason for the negative reviews is that they released the game as complete, when it obviously wasn't. If they'd released under EA, it would have been fine. Many games, especially builders, have released into EA in significantly earlier stages than Autonauts.

That said, the devs are still developing it and if you want a polished experience it may be better to wait. They recently added a lot of QoL stuff that makes me want to start over, but I think I'll wait until the game is done.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

There's more than enough content to keep you busy. It took me around 60 hours to get to the final (current) tech level. There aren't any victory conditions other than reaching the top tech level, and I'm not sure if that's going to change.

The reason for the negative reviews is that they released the game as complete, when it obviously wasn't. If they'd released under EA, it would have been fine. Many games, especially builders, have released into EA in significantly earlier stages than Autonauts.

That said, the devs are still developing it and if you want a polished experience it may be better to wait. They recently added a lot of QoL stuff that makes me want to start over, but I think I'll wait until the game is done.

Great information, thank you.

I find in these situations that describing what you don't want is sometimes taken as some sort of "attack" on the game. It in no way is. It's just that everyone has something slightly different in terms of what they are looking for in a game. 30+ years ago, I basically had to play whatever was close enough, because there really wasn't that much choice. Now, with there being so many games in each genre, there is no way to play them all, so it just makes the most sense for me to hone in on the ones that more exactly fit what I was looking for. Like with Satisfactory as I mentioned earlier - there's nothing "wrong" with a game without a procedural map generator. Same thing for games without game set goals/victory conditions. I just don't like games without some randomness, and I don't like sandbox only games without non-player created goals, so it doesn't make sense for me to play those, when there are other games in the genre that more closely align with the game elements I like. Other people have no problems with those elements, and so I'm glad the games work for them. We're truly in a blessed time, where there is pretty much something for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I got Jurassic World Evolution and so far I think it's pretty interesting but like I have some questions.

What do I do with rocks??

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Well the good news is that the world is indeed random :). Like Factorio, it doesn't really matter much though, as most things in the game can be moved to where you want them to be. The last tier of research in the game will be released this month. I suspect the sale is because of that and that the game may go up in price after that release.

So many (in my opinion) idiots decry 'early access games' when in fact 'early access' is a label and really isn't indicative of anything whatsoever. Factorio is still in 'early access' for example, and I had over 1,000 hours in Oxygen Not Included while it was in early access, had a great time. You can get a refund on both Steam and Epic if you don't like a game, buy it if you are interested and worry less about the label.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I find Factorio way harder than Satisfactory, but a big part of that is that three dimensions makes it much easier to organize conveyor belts and power poles, which can be directed pretty freely between two points instead of having to plan for the spacing of every tile, which was a major roadblock to my enjoyment of Factorio. The "you get punished for not doing the math" angle is weird to me because the structures definitely don't feel prohibitively expensive, and you can just as easily build a main bus line in Satisfactory as you would in Factorio.

I don't know, I had a lot of building issues due to the terrain in Satisfactory and the cost of some things, that made it seem very space constrained.

E.g. it would have taken literal hours to get enough copper to build a pipeline/pumps back to my base using my one copper node, so I belted the coal over to the water area. The only good accessible spot was against a mountain, so I struggled to fit 2 pumps and 4 generators there. And any time there was an issue I had to run 5 minutes there to fix it. I was not able to "overbuild" due to lack of resources and space and time.

I also constantly ran into power issues in Satisfactory, which breaks your entire Factory if your ratio is off instead of just slowing it down like in Factorio.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dogstile posted:

I mean, same. But that's not how its supposed to work in the real world, it just happens due to any number of reasons, including signalling fuckups, trains being late, etc. The game doesn't model fuckups because its not fun.

You're just making me want to play SimSig.

Mayveena posted:

So which is harder/mathier Satisfactory or Factorio? I'm not great with math sadly :(

The only math you really need in Factorio is more.

One of the things I like about Factorio compared to, say, Rise of Industry is that the interface is naturally clear. If you see a bare spot on a belt somewhere, go find/make more of whatever is supposed to be there.

Intermediate Mode is just stuff like "this thing needs one bloop per second and two blops per half second so I need 1 bloop assembler and 4 blop assemblers per thing assembler." Or you just keep your belts full of bloops and blops and ignore the math.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 7, 2020

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I got Jurassic World Evolution and so far I think it's pretty interesting but like I have some questions.

What do I do with rocks??

Make things look pretty. Thats it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Make things look pretty. Thats it.

No I meant from expeditions. I guess they're just trash you sell.

EDIT: These friggin dinos are like "I'm angry and it's overcrowded I'm going to bash down this fence!"

*tranq and puts animal way on the other side of the enclosure*

"I'm lonely and I'm going to bash down this fence!"

:dawkins101:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 8, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No I meant from expeditions. I guess they're just trash you sell.

EDIT: These friggin dinos are like "I'm angry and it's overcrowded I'm going to bash down this fence!"

*tranq and puts animal way on the other side of the enclosure*

"I'm lonely and I'm going to bash down this fence!"

:dawkins101:
This makes me imagine that Planet Coaster's staff evolved from Dinosaurs. Because they often follow the same logic.

"I'm under-trained for this! I'll quit!" *trains* "I'm overqualified, I quit."

It would also explain the horrifying mutations they could suffer sometimes :v:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Jurassic World sounds a lot less fun than Planet Zoo Coaster.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You know, it was too subtle for me before but in retrospect the “load balance everything” approach of satisfactory and others is what I like, and is why factorio and other similar management games that benefit from that style of “build more” don’t click as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PerniciousKnid posted:

Jurassic World sounds a lot less fun than Planet Zoo Coaster.

I really did not enjoy Jurassic World. There's some fun to be had in seeing the dinosaurs running around in your enclosures I guess but I found it pretty dull with not much room for perfecting your park visually. The meat of the game seems to be in the collection of dino DNA to make new dinosaurs as opposed to making a cool looking park.

Edit: I could be wrong, I refunded it after about 90 minutes because it felt like I had already seen all there was to the game in that time. However most reviews seem to indicate this is the biggest issue with the game too.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

explosivo posted:

I really did not enjoy Jurassic World. There's some fun to be had in seeing the dinosaurs running around in your enclosures I guess but I found it pretty dull with not much room for perfecting your park visually. The meat of the game seems to be in the collection of dino DNA to make new dinosaurs as opposed to making a cool looking park.

Edit: I could be wrong, I refunded it after about 90 minutes because it felt like I had already seen all there was to the game in that time. However most reviews seem to indicate this is the biggest issue with the game too.

No, that's pretty much it. 90% of your time is waiting on the fossil gacha, or waiting on cash. I don't think even Let's Game It Out could make it interesting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Heads up, Transport Fever 2 is on sale on Steam right now for 20% off ($31.99 instead of $39.99).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

This may have been asked before but I'll ask again. Anyone played Universim lately? I'm thinking about getting it. Also thinking about getting Before We Leave but gotta watch more video.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'll grab the post from Alamoduh that was buried a few pages back, since they seem knowledgeable about its current state.

Alamoduh posted:

It’s a good base for a game, but there is not enough there yet. Tech tree still has “coming soon” nodes and there is no end game goal. No goals or milestones of any kind, yet- it’s just build and progress through a tech tree.

It’s also pretty slow to get going., and there are some super annoying issues, like when your little people go to make a baby, their house shakes and there is a bed creaking sound effect. If your camera is anywhere near the vicinity, the narrator calls you a voyeur. You’ll hear this line hundreds of times during the game, because your camera is always going to be around your buildings.

Will probably be pretty good once it releases, and I have put some hours into a few builds over the last year, but it is not good now and not worth spending your time on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New base building/mining sandbox game hit the store today called Hydroneer. Anyone know anything about this? It looks alright, especially for $7.99 (right now).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mayveena posted:

Well the good news is that the world is indeed random :). Like Factorio, it doesn't really matter much though, as most things in the game can be moved to where you want them to be. The last tier of research in the game will be released this month. I suspect the sale is because of that and that the game may go up in price after that release.

So many (in my opinion) idiots decry 'early access games' when in fact 'early access' is a label and really isn't indicative of anything whatsoever. Factorio is still in 'early access' for example, and I had over 1,000 hours in Oxygen Not Included while it was in early access, had a great time. You can get a refund on both Steam and Epic if you don't like a game, buy it if you are interested and worry less about the label.

Honestly, I'd disagree. The factorio developers have a specific roadmap and they're only now closing in on "done". Having played the game since around when it came out, there's definitely massive differences not just in QoL mechanics but also fundamental building concepts. Even things like single player aren't "done;" the current single player campaign is a relatively anemic placeholder and they're specifically redoing it because it's just not good. It would be nice to have a mode of Factorio that's not just Sandbox.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Volmarias posted:

The game doesn't model timetables either since you end up with a bunch of trains piling up on the same platform.

Either use timetables (player or machine generated) so you can have Model Choo Choo Play Time, AND don't abstract out the station design and force the player to make decisions about what cargo can be loaded and unloaded where and how

OR

Provide automatic routing because it's a game and your computer has the processing power in the Future Year of 2020 to handle it, if OpenTTD can, and because requiring that level of detail reduces the game to a spreadsheet simulator.

There's got to be thought beyond "well you have to pick the platform ahead of time in the real world, so :effort:"

I hated it coming from OpenTTD but once I started playing it really stopped bothering me. It's not a game about always trying to improve throughput, it's a game about balancing the capacity of lines. I suspect their thinking is 1) it's not really the game they're making and 2) the current system creates more natural looking model trainsets.

Edit: Lol I didn't even come to the thread to defend my beloved Transport Fever series ;) I actually wanted to know if there's a thread for these build/lego games like Stormworks and Trailblazers and I thought this might be a place to ask.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 8, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Honestly, I'd disagree. The factorio developers have a specific roadmap and they're only now closing in on "done". Having played the game since around when it came out, there's definitely massive differences not just in QoL mechanics but also fundamental building concepts. Even things like single player aren't "done;" the current single player campaign is a relatively anemic placeholder and they're specifically redoing it because it's just not good. It would be nice to have a mode of Factorio that's not just Sandbox.

Not sure what you are disagreeing on, apologies. The game is listed as Early Access, just like for example Industries of Titan. The two games could not be further apart in their development cycle, yet share the same label.
Steam listing for Factorio: https://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mayveena posted:

Not sure what you are disagreeing on, apologies. The game is listed as Early Access, just like for example Industries of Titan. The two games could not be further apart in their development cycle, yet share the same label.
Steam listing for Factorio: https://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/

They're still in the "not done yet, we wouldn't have released this in a traditional publishing model" stake. Early Access doesn't always mean Early Alpha.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Well, I refunded Transport Fever 2. It wasn't for me. So now I have money in my steam wallet. I have (and love) Factorio and Cities and Stardew. I love transport/road stuff but TF2 didn't click for some reason... It seemed a bit too... Simple? I dunno.

Any suggestions on what I might look into using my steam cash on?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

COOL CORN posted:

Well, I refunded Transport Fever 2. It wasn't for me. So now I have money in my steam wallet. I have (and love) Factorio and Cities and Stardew. I love transport/road stuff but TF2 didn't click for some reason... It seemed a bit too... Simple? I dunno.

If "transport" includes things moving around on complicated conveyor belts, Big Pharma? You mentioned in another post that you find building a lovely thing at the start which then gets in your way later very stressful, I feel the same way and really like big pharma because of how it handles that part of the gameplay.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Railway Empire, Rise of Industry, Factory Town, Autonauts are suggestions. I'd probably do Production Line before Big Pharma myself.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If TF2 feels too simple, Railway Empire is not the best alternative suggestion, IMO. Maybe the competition thing might make it seem acceptably “complex”, but I wouldn’t make that bet.

On the other hand, Railway Empire is currently on sale direct from Kalypso for $12.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If TF2 feels too simple, Railway Empire is not the best alternative suggestion, IMO. Maybe the competition thing might make it seem acceptably “complex”, but I wouldn’t make that bet.

On the other hand, Railway Empire is currently on sale direct from Kalypso for $12.

Accepted. I will note that Railway Empires uses a completely different economic model that includes warehousing and a different signal model as well. It depends on what they thought was simple.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I like Mashinky and Production Line.

To me, Big Pharma was just a puzzle about how to fit all the factory parts in a tiny space. Didn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Has Mashinky's map generator improved at all? The only thing that really kept me from getting into mashinky was the incredibly bland feeling maps, but I'm probably hoping for too much from procgen.