Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

I'm in the post-game, right before the fight with Anise, so after that I guess I'm going for Lil Cactus and the Black Rabbite. I for sure got the one in the Sanctuary right before the last boss, but I'm not sure if I got the one in the Dwarf Tunnel? I'm not even sure how to get back there. Other than whatever is listed on the guide, it looks like I got them all. Shame that the map is pretty unhelpful when it comes to areas you can't even land in.
You can go to the world map and switch the filter (on controller it's dpad up/down) to "all map info" which shows all the areas in the game. Hovering over the areas will show you cactus and chest totals.

To get back to the Dwarf Tunnel you have to go through Dwarf Village via Maia/Golden Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Every place you've been to should be on your map, and you should be able to see if it has a cactus and whether you found it by now. There aren't any in places you can't go back to.

I think there's only one place you aren't ever forced to go to with a cactus (and thus may not have revealed), and that's Diin.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cascade Caverns (the dungeon where you get Lumina) is an easily-forgettable one. You don't ever have any reason to return there except to get the Lil' Cactus spot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mega64 posted:

Cascade Caverns (the dungeon where you get Lumina) is an easily-forgettable one. You don't ever have any reason to return there except to get the Lil' Cactus spot.

Also it's blocked for the one time when you pass by it in the story after you can find Lil Cactus there. It's the one I had left after getting the last location in the Sanctuary.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

sigher posted:

The RNG nature of the ??? Seeds is bad and I'm surprised they kept it, and it sucks that the 4th class is locked to the end of the game where you barely get to use them.

I have 2 more Lil Cactus locations to find, but according to my map I've found him everywhere I can land... are there any locations I should double check to look for him that I could have easily missed?

Also if you've never been to a location it won't show up on your map. The only location that comes to mind that you never have to visit is the oasis town in the desert though. Well, besides some route specific areas that don't matter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh, the far side of the bridge the machine golems blow up is another easily missable one.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like there's a difficulty mod now
https://www.nexusmods.com/trialsofmana/mods/16

enemy stats:
hp * 2 (HP doubled)
atk * 1.5
def * 1.2
agility * 1.2
intelligence * 1.5
spirit * 1.5
luck * 1.2
defMag * 1.2
offMag * 1.2
exp = no change (Exp points gained can be changed in the future, perhaps for ng+ rebalancing ?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wow the Ludgar fight is waaaay easier in the remake. Not getting stunlocked every second helps a ton.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Gyoru posted:

enemy stats:
hp * 2 (HP doubled)
atk * 1.5
def * 1.2
agility * 1.2
intelligence * 1.5
spirit * 1.5
luck * 1.2
defMag * 1.2
offMag * 1.2
exp = no change (Exp points gained can be changed in the future, perhaps for ng+ rebalancing ?)

Great, how do I introduce these into my switch doe

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gyoru posted:

Oh cool, mods for this game, neat.

*sees mod called riesz_underwear*

*immediately leaves*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So when you pick up a ??? Seed, it is locked into whatever item it will grow into. I've so far found 5, and all of them were class change items for the same character. Is this really a thing I'm going to have to grind in 2020?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's probably a nude mod or three out there already.
Because for all that people complain the game is pretty horny, clearly there's a demographic that goes 'this is too horny!? hold my beer.' :shepface:

A stat tweak isn't exactly the most inspired Hard Mode, although 2x health is a good baseline to start normal enemies on.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So when you pick up a ??? Seed, it is locked into whatever item it will grow into. I've so far found 5, and all of them were class change items for the same character. Is this really a thing I'm going to have to grind in 2020?

Wow, that's some RNG. Did you plant them one-by-one or all at once?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's probably a nude mod or three out there already.
Because for all that people complain the game is pretty horny, clearly there's a demographic that goes 'this is too horny!? hold my beer.' :shepface:

A stat tweak isn't exactly the most inspired Hard Mode, although 2x health is a good baseline to start normal enemies on.

Wow, that's some RNG. Did you plant them one-by-one or all at once?

I tried both ways, also tried reloading before planting, and they always come out the same way. It's frankly putting me off finishing this.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Zenithe posted:

Oh cool, mods for this game, neat.

*sees mod called lil_cactus_fullnude*

*immediately downloads*

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

orcane posted:

You can go to the world map and switch the filter (on controller it's dpad up/down) to "all map info" which shows all the areas in the game. Hovering over the areas will show you cactus and chest totals.

To get back to the Dwarf Tunnel you have to go through Dwarf Village via Maia/Golden Road.

I had no clue you could even change the filter, I'm dumb. Thanks! I'll give it a go and track this drat dude down for the last time.

Just finished up the post game stuff and the Black Rabbite, sold off a bunch of duplicate ??? Seed armor and hit the 500K achievement easily. Now all there is to do is 2 more playthroughs to get the final boss achievements and buy the Nitromyte I think. Really good remake, thought I'm kinda disappointed with some of the areas not really looking anything like what they looked like on the SNES (Wandara was my favorite but it looks terrible here) which is a shame because the SNES was so drat beautiful.

It would be hard to go back to the SNES title though, the combat is a slog compared to this.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

You can save close to the chest with the ??? seed and keep reloading and opening it until you get the item that you want. The Light Benevedon's ruins dungeon and (I believe) Woods of Wandara have a ??? seed chest close to a save statue if you haven't picked those up already.

It's certainly a thing they decided to bring back for the remake in 2020, well I guess everyone who played the original remembers them (if only due to how annoying they are) so they had to bring them back. If they wanted to keep the ??? seeds maybe they could have also added something like an NPC in the Black Market who will trade duplicate class change items for others.

sigher posted:

(Wandara was my favorite but it looks terrible here) which is a shame because the SNES was so drat beautiful.

Agreed that it doesn't look very good compared to SNES, though I thought it was cute that they kept (and expanded on) the side-view sections even though there's no point to having them in a full 3D game.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 9, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Item Getter posted:

You can save close to the chest with the ??? seed and keep reloading and opening it until you get the item that you want. The Light Benevedon's ruins dungeon and (I believe) Woods of Wandara have a ??? seed chest close to a save statue if you haven't picked those up already.

It's certainly a thing they decided to bring back for the remake in 2020, well I guess everyone who played the original remembers them (if only due to how annoying they are) so they had to bring them back. If they wanted to keep the ??? seeds maybe they could have also added something like an NPC in the Black Market who will trade duplicate class change items for others.

I saved, then planted and reloaded 3 times and got the exact same items from the seeds each time. Am I just that unlucky or is randomized on pickup rather than planting

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I saved, then planted and reloaded 3 times and got the exact same items from the seeds each time. Am I just that unlucky or is randomized on pickup rather than planting

Sorry it's randomized on pickup not planting. So try the chests I suggested if you didn't get them already, is all I can suggest besides grinding.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

EponymousMrYar posted:

It’s not even a targeted stat tweak, just increasing the stats of all monsters in the game by the same amounts. Early game enemies don’t need nearly as much of a boost as enemies after getting access to class 3, and for those 2x health and more defense might still not be enough for the strongest party compositions.

Of course, it’s probably just a proof of concept at this point. Hopefully people will be able to do more in the future.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

sigher posted:

The RNG nature of the ??? Seeds is bad and I'm surprised they kept it, and it sucks that the 4th class is locked to the end of the game where you barely get to use them.

I don’t mind the fourth class coming so late because for the most part it’s either a straight numeric upgrade over class 3 or is just not balanced for normal play at all. Kevin’s dark class 4 with Nomad, for example, could get 90% reduction to the cost of all class strikes (Nature Aura stacks with Payback).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's nothing that will survive Chaosbringer Charlotte's CS from what I've seen, I'm mostly upset because I love that attack because the animation is so dope and I can't use it ever again unless I go through the epilogue stuff and meh.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Somehow, every CS I get with Angela seems more useless than the last. Double Strike is decent, then Star Pummel was bad, then Hot Shot is also bad, but also enemies just walk out of it before it's done.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

broke: horny mods
woke: thorny mods

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ugh, I accidentally overwrote my first playthrough file. I guess it's not a huge deal, but is there any way I can get it back?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are you in your second playthrough already?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, at the end of it. It's a NG+ playthrough from the initial one, so it's not like much is lost, but still kind of a bummer.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Somehow, every CS I get with Angela seems more useless than the last. Double Strike is decent, then Star Pummel was bad, then Hot Shot is also bad, but also enemies just walk out of it before it's done.

Hi.

The problem is you are attacking with Angela.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Ugh, I accidentally overwrote my first playthrough file. I guess it's not a huge deal, but is there any way I can get it back?

God this happened to me the first time too, I saved it on first spot on purpose so I "remember" but my reflex is still always "one down, save, overwrite"

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Zenithe posted:

Hi.

The problem is you are attacking with Angela.

Probably generally good advice, but someone on the steam forums posted a sub 10 second Anise kill using light/dark Angela’s CS 2.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

With this 300% XP boost on my second playthrough I'm at LVL 21 after getting Gnome. lol, I love this.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Been super slow on this but got the first class change.

Then Zehnoa and Bil and Ben showed me just how evil the combat camera can get in this game, good lord.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol I just beat the game and watching the credits and the voice of a minor character named "Elder" was...

Rusty Shackleford

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol I just beat the game and watching the credits and the voice of a minor character named "Elder" was...

Rusty Shackleford

Bizzarely I came here to say the exact same thing! Proper weird

So I'm doing the Angela post game fight. I've not had any problem with any fight in the entire game but Angela's double is absolutely SMASHING me up because at no point can I stand still or it kills me.
What the hell am I meant to do, do I need loads of resistance gear or something?

Edit: this fight loving sucks, I'm glad none of the fights in the regular game were like this. Dodging out of her attack when it chases me is infuriating

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 9, 2020

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Taear posted:

Bizzarely I came here to say the exact same thing! Proper weird

So I'm doing the Angela post game fight. I've not had any problem with any fight in the entire game but Angela's double is absolutely SMASHING me up because at no point can I stand still or it kills me.
What the hell am I meant to do, do I need loads of resistance gear or something?

Edit: this fight loving sucks, I'm glad none of the fights in the regular game were like this. Dodging out of her attack when it chases me is infuriating

I ended up respeccing for that fight on my first playthrough. Just rearranged my trainings so I could slot every magic defense and general purpose damage reduction skill I could get and face tanked my way through what I couldn't dodge while chugging healing items. Probably the only fight in the game, where stacking defensive skills is better than stacking offense.

I found that stacking Angela's chance to nullify enemy magic skills useful, just having the chance to randomly nosell some of her spells is surprisingly useful as a second chance when failing to dodge one. Similarily having one of the skills to improve stagger resistance was useful for being able to take a lesser spell to the chin while charging ancient curse and not get interrupted. I just kept dodging the ton annihilation while making only a token effort to dodge the lesser spells, trading health for opprtunities to spam ancient curse, and healed through the damage I took afterwards.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I managed to do it by dodging the regular spells and ONLY casting on fauxangela when she was casting her ton annihilation since she stood about.
Honestly I don't feel like the game is really set up to work with those split second dodges.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's definitely a weird difficulty spike and probably even harder than Black Rabite. I enjoyed it a lot though, probably my favorite fight in the game.

It's not so bad once you get the timing down but it's way more uh, for want of a better term Dark Souls-y than the rest of the game. Just have to learn the vulnerability timings and also don't let yourself get pushed into the walls.

e: I don't know if you're fighting the Final Light or Final Dark version but for the Light one the really dangerous attack is the L4 class strike, there you have to notice the attack name being announced and then move perpendicular to the attack. You don't have to dodge but you do have to keep moving in a straight-ish line. After that she's got a massive cooldown where you can unload a whole bunch of Holy Bolt spam.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 9, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well Angela, seems like the thread is telling you to eat poo poo. So it's time for you to eat poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPn3coOSms

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

It's definitely a weird difficulty spike and probably even harder than Black Rabite. I enjoyed it a lot though, probably my favorite fight in the game.

It's not so bad once you get the timing down but it's way more uh, for want of a better term Dark Souls-y than the rest of the game. Just have to learn the vulnerability timings and also don't let yourself get pushed into the walls.

e: I don't know if you're fighting the Final Light or Final Dark version but for the Light one the really dangerous attack is the L4 class strike, there you have to notice the attack name being announced and then move perpendicular to the attack. You don't have to dodge but you do have to keep moving in a straight-ish line. After that she's got a massive cooldown where you can unload a whole bunch of Holy Bolt spam.

I was Dark so she was light.
Really, just not a fun fight for me at all. I would have put the difficulty down to the bottom (i'm on normal) but I couldn't even find out how to do that.

So glad I managed to kill it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, so, my review of this game after the fact is that it's a surprisingly fun and faithful remake and upgrade, but its potential is busting through the seams of that faithfulness and it's ultimately limited by the original game.

I would really like to see a new Mana game built on this engine that has more active abilities and fewer passive ones, and whose story isn't actively insipid.

It really is kind of a theme in Mana games that the limitless power of Mana never does anything useful except for sometimes, maybe, partially undoing some of the damage done by people trying to seize it to rule the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so, my review of this game after the fact is that it's a surprisingly fun and faithful remake and upgrade, but its potential is busting through the seams of that faithfulness and it's ultimately limited by the original game.

I would really like to see a new Mana game built on this engine that has more active abilities and fewer passive ones, and whose story isn't actively insipid.

It really is kind of a theme in Mana games that the limitless power of Mana never does anything useful except for sometimes, maybe, partially undoing some of the damage done by people trying to seize it to rule the world.

I guess there's a chance that's what they're going to do next? I'd like that. It's a game with a VERY high proportion of people having the "completed the game" achievement on steam too which is a good sign.

I really wish the game would let you skip dialogue (when I've already read it and don't want to hear it) without it also skipping like...3 other sections of dialogue.