Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ultimate Mango posted:

Get a 4K hdmi audio extractor and use that with the sound bar?

I'm not familiar with these. Just looked a couple up on Amazon and it seems like it would get spendy assuming I need one for every connected device, or a splitter, and then we're talking an extremely inelegant solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DrNutt posted:

Kinda puts me in a lovely place though. I could replace the receiver with something that has HDR pass through, but part of my upgrading process was going to be downsizing to a decent midrange soundbar at some point and getting rid of the receiver and big rear end speakers. :shrug:

I don't see why you can't still do that?

I have my Samsung TV connected to my HWMS650 Soundbar (an excellent value model incidentally, even though it's a few years old) via the ARC port on the TV. Then the other 2 TV HDMI ports have my Switch and Xbox, and there's another pass through HDMI port on the soundbar which has a spare cable for connecting to whatever else needs it, usually the laptop to watch video. Everything plays nicely with each other and HDR works fine.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

DrNutt posted:

Unfortunately I didn't look into this poo poo before I bought the tv and the Q60T only has one HDMI input with ARC.

The ARC port should take what is coming in from the other HDMI ports and pass the audio from them back out.

Connect receiver HDMI ARC port to TV ARC, and the console into another HDMI port on the TV.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I’ve had an LG C9 for awhile now and it’s working great. I love it, the wife loves it, it’s all good. Today I’m loving around with the settings while I’m on a boring conference call, and I notice it’s saying it’s not connected to the internet. I have an Ethernet cable plugged into it, but really only for updates, I never use the installed apps.

The Ethernet is reporting as connecting but no internet, so I decide to try the WiFi with the same result. At a loss, I decide to try the built in apps, and Netflix works fine, even though settings says no WiFi. Really weird. I’ve tried power cycling the set but it gets the same result.

Should I do a factory reset?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seems like a router problem and not necessarily a TV problem but a factory reset wouldn't hurt (as long as you don't mind losing any settings you made prior).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

American McGay posted:

Seems like a router problem and not necessarily a TV problem but a factory reset wouldn't hurt (as long as you don't mind losing any settings you made prior).

I thought that too but the Eero is reporting that’s it’s fine and all other WiFi devices are working as well. Same with hardwired on the same switch as the TV (game consoles and a Shield).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don't see why you can't still do that?

I have my Samsung TV connected to my HWMS650 Soundbar (an excellent value model incidentally, even though it's a few years old) via the ARC port on the TV. Then the other 2 TV HDMI ports have my Switch and Xbox, and there's another pass through HDMI port on the soundbar which has a spare cable for connecting to whatever else needs it, usually the laptop to watch video. Everything plays nicely with each other and HDR works fine.

Red Warrior posted:

The ARC port should take what is coming in from the other HDMI ports and pass the audio from them back out.

Connect receiver HDMI ARC port to TV ARC, and the console into another HDMI port on the TV.

Thanks for the feedback, I had tunnel vision thinking I'd have to rely on optical out to connect to a soundbar for some reason. In the meantime I'll see if my receiver has an arc port I can use. Iirc it only has one HDMI in so hopefully it is.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hello. I have an LG C9: https://www.amazon.com/LG-OLED55C9PUA-Alexa-Built-Ultra/dp/B07PTN79PG

I have this older LG Soundbar: https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-LSB306-speaker-sound-bar

I have all of my devices connected via HDMI into the TV's HDMI inputs. I run an optical sound from the TV to my soundbar. All of my audio works fine, EXCEPT for my Nintendo Switch. The Switch will at times just "drop" its sound, only to come back on when a new "audio" cue happens. For example, the sound works fine when fighting in a Super Smash Brothers battle but when the battle ends and it starts loading into another cutscene, the sounds goes quiet for a second or two. I'll eventually hear it, usually when a voiceline is basically halfway over.

This doesn't happen for anything else outputted by the TV into the soundbar. Xbox One X is fine, Chromecast is fine and even the native TV applications work just fine.

This issue does NOT happen when I have the audio just go out of the internal TV speakers. This LG support post has a bunch of similar experiences, not just for my TV or setup though: https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/462/lg-oled-55c7p-audio-dropouts

I've made sure to have pretty standard settings for my audio setup in the TV settings. Nothing advanced or changed, everything set to auto and no smart syncing or AI turned on. Am I just screwed here? I posted in this thread because I feel like this is an issue of the TV just not handling sound output properly.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I'm not familiar with these. Just looked a couple up on Amazon and it seems like it would get spendy assuming I need one for every connected device, or a splitter, and then we're talking an extremely inelegant solution.

They have ones with a bunch of HDMI inputs, an HDMI output, and optical out for a sound bar.

Basically does what a receiver does but instead of powering speakers and having a lot of features, it just takes hdmi and puts out an audio signal and then also HDMI for the TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those cheapo HDMI switches/extractors all seem to have weird quirks which isn’t surprising since there isn’t a single one from a major manufacturer, just an endless array of nonsense aliexpress factory brands.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qirex posted:

Those cheapo HDMI switches/extractors all seem to have weird quirks which isn’t surprising since there isn’t a single one from a major manufacturer, just an endless array of nonsense aliexpress factory brands.

Then maybe I just got lucky? Best I can tell one place makes them all and people just put different labels on the case. Sure, there are a few variants, and maybe I just got lucky.

And yes, they are quirky, and the Switch does weird things with HDMI - optical.

But I was happy to spend $40 to have something that will work with my lame sound bar than $400 on a receiver.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thank Christ it looks like the Sony receiver I bought 4 years ago has HDMI ARC so I should be able to get this poo poo all setup correctly. These changing standards are frustrating though. I bought it to replace a really nice Harmon Kardon receiver that didn't have HDMI audio pass through and required optical audio sources to work correctly, only to discover that the advent of 4k/HDR has continued to make this poo poo just as complicated. I guess I should have future proofed a little better but at the time I got this receiver most 4k tvs were well out of my price range and I don't even think HDR was a widely considered thing anyway.

Welp, tried using HDMI ARC to fix my issues, and can't figure it out. I have the HDMI ARC port going to the receiver which supposedly supports HDMI ARC, and both the Xbox and PS4 are connected to the TV, but my tv will not select HDMI arc as an audio option no matter what I do with the receiver settings.

Edit: Okay I managed to enable HDMI-CEC in the samsing tv settings, so now I have the tv sound output working via the receiver and speakers, but when I change the tv input to Xbox I still get no sound. Xbox is input 1, PS4 is input 3, HDMI out arc from receiver to input 2 on TV which is the TV's HDMI ARC. Anything really dumb and obvious I may be missing in settings?

Edit 2:

Red Warrior posted:

This seems to be what is not happening, and I'm guessing it's some dumb compatibility bullshit because I bought my receiver a year or two too early or some god damned thing.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 8, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay, thinking of getting this soundbar from Costco and just going with it. https://www.costco.com/samsung-hw-q6cr-43.3-5.1-channel-soundbar-and-wireless-subwoofer-with-harman-kardon.product.100491380.html Hoping that it being a Samsung model will make it play nice easily from the tv and hopefully will function perfectly using HDMI or Optical. Does this seem like a good deal? It's 269.99 with a Costco membership, which is cheaper than I could find for the older Samsung soundbar someone had listed above. I have my old 42" LED tv upstairs with a PS3, Xbox, and Xbox 360 hooked up so I'm thinking of just moving the receiver and speakers up there and having a last gen gaming setup for funsies rather than trying to offload the receiver (since it's not compatible with HDR it's probably not something I could get much for anyway).

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I'd consider the Vizio system looks like Costco have for $20 more, gets you Atmos and rear speakers which will give a ton more immersion. Vizio is generally one of the highest rated soundbar brands.
https://www.costco.com/vizio-sb36512-f6-36%22-5.1.2-home-theater-sound-system-and-wireless-subwoofer-with-dolby-atmos.product.100459820.html

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Red Warrior posted:

I'd consider the Vizio system looks like Costco have for $20 more, gets you Atmos and rear speakers which will give a ton more immersion. Vizio is generally one of the highest rated soundbar brands.
https://www.costco.com/vizio-sb36512-f6-36%22-5.1.2-home-theater-sound-system-and-wireless-subwoofer-with-dolby-atmos.product.100459820.html

Hmm. I will look into it a bit more I guess. I don't really care about having surround, I just removed our rear speakers to remove clutter and clean up our living room setup (which I promised my SO I would do when I upgraded the tv and I honestly haven't been missing the rear speakers that much). But with Dolby Atmos for 20 more bucks.... poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Opinion: ten dollar speakers don’t sound any better than the ones in your tv, no matter where they’re positioned.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Without getting too much into audiophilia dickwaving, I've heard a few decent soundbars and they still sound far nicer than tv speakers, especially the ones with subs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrNutt posted:

, especially the ones with subs.
Yea. The subs will really help fill out the sound, but the better bass response alone will make the bar a much better experience. There's so much detail lost in regular TV speakers.

In other news I did a bad thing and succumbed to temptation. Took about 2ish tries to get it in my cart, and one change of store, but I nabbed one of the BestBuy open-box B9s. Satisfactory condition was about $1100, added the 2 year GeekSquad on top of it. And picked up a slim mount while I was at it.

No contact delivery so it was loaded up in my trunk after the reps took some quick measurements. One of them commiserated with me over the quality (he owns a CX).

Condition? A little dusty. No remote, base or manual but it came with the Composite dongle. Small scuff on the back where the base would have gone. No burn in, but it's got about 5,000 hours on it. Looks fantastic and my wife (who was like we don't *need* a 65" TV that's too big) was wowed and immediately wanted to watch YouTube Cooking vloggers on it.

I'm sure it'll explode in 2 months but I can't wait to throw a bunch of media at it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DrNutt posted:

Without getting too much into audiophilia dickwaving, I've heard a few decent soundbars and they still sound far nicer than tv speakers, especially the ones with subs.

Yeah I have the non atmos version of that soundbar and it's great. I get the idea that there are better more expensive systems out there and hell I've owned a couple... but I don't get why people pretend like they're poo poo. Of course there are some bad Vizio sound bars... I have one of those too! But I also have this setup and it definitely sates my "decent sound" needs.

They're good enough for about 95% of use cases.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I have the non atmos version of that soundbar and it's great. I get the idea that there are better more expensive systems out there and hell I've owned a couple... but I don't get why people pretend like they're poo poo. Of course there are some bad Vizio sound bars... I have one of those too! But I also have this setup and it definitely sates my "decent sound" needs.

They're good enough for about 95% of use cases.

Yeah, I'm pretty tempted to just get the linked Vizio one and have Atmos for another 20 bucks, and just shelve the rear speakers until I have a room/setup that's more conducive to full surround again. But there's part of me that's like "just get the Samsung one because it matches the Samsung tv" and I need someone to tell me that's dumb. I'm just feeling a little burned on doing my research on tvs and making sure I got the right HDR only to be stymied by 2015 DrNutt who bought a 2015 receiver with no concern for 4k.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty tempted to just get the linked Vizio one and have Atmos for another 20 bucks, and just shelve the rear speakers until I have a room/setup that's more conducive to full surround again. But there's part of me that's like "just get the Samsung one because it matches the Samsung tv" and I need someone to tell me that's dumb. I'm just feeling a little burned on doing my research on tvs and making sure I got the right HDR only to be stymied by 2015 DrNutt who bought a 2015 receiver with no concern for 4k.

Don't worry about it matching. Get the Vizio. I haven't used that one but I wouldn't be too expectant of an Atmos system you can't move adjust the speakers too. It's a bit more of a gimmick on soundbars than individual speaker setups but it'll still sound good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BonoMan posted:

Don't worry about it matching. Get the Vizio. I haven't used that one but I wouldn't be too expectant of an Atmos system you can't move adjust the speakers too. It's a bit more of a gimmick on soundbars than individual speaker setups but it'll still sound good.

I guess my biggest concern is that since I wasn't able to get the HDMI ARC or the optical out working with the receiver that I will end up with the same situation with whatever soundbar I buy. But gently caress it, Costco at least has a hella generous return policy so it's not like I'm stuck with the loving thing if I can't make it work for some reason.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My new Sony X850G arrived and it's a huge improvement over the old 1080p it replaced. 24 hours in and annoyances are starting to crop up, though.

Previously we had been using our Xbox One to watch Prime Video. We each have our own account linked through Amazon Family. This was seamless on Xbox because we each had our own profile. Apparently the Google accounts in Android TV aren't actually separate profiles, because my Amazon Prime account stays signed in no matter how many times we change it. To access my wife's library we have to deregister the TV and then log in to Amazon again. What am I missing? Will Roku have the same problem?

I really want to keep the Xbox out of the loop for daily streaming because my wife hates the Harmony remote and Xbox doesn't support CEC.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

My new Sony X850G arrived and it's a huge improvement over the old 1080p it replaced. 24 hours in and annoyances are starting to crop up, though.

Previously we had been using our Xbox One to watch Prime Video. We each have our own account linked through Amazon Family. This was seamless on Xbox because we each had our own profile. Apparently the Google accounts in Android TV aren't actually separate profiles, because my Amazon Prime account stays signed in no matter how many times we change it. To access my wife's library we have to deregister the TV and then log in to Amazon again. What am I missing? Will Roku have the same problem?

I really want to keep the Xbox out of the loop for daily streaming because my wife hates the Harmony remote and Xbox doesn't support CEC.

Looked this up and there's articles from like 2 weeks ago saying that Amazon rolling out multiple profiles on prime video in other countries a la Netflix, and the US hopefully soon after. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it sounds like it will be coming soon.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah I saw that. It makes me wonder if Amazon knows what they're doing. All this time pushing Amazon Family and that being the only way for multi-adult households to have separate watchlists and then suddenly "oops guess you should have stayed on one account, sorry about your separate media libraries!"

It's just the kind of thing that shouldn't be so scattershot a decade into the whole streaming thing.

e: Amazon Household, not Amazon Family

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 10, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So I think my B9 is all set up. One quirk: on my Samsung I could use ARC alongside the optical out. It was a great setup because I could switch my game headset on and listen to the TV at night or whatever.

Looks like the B9 will do ARC or Internal+Optical but not ARC + Optical? Any way around this?

It's just an extra set of presses to enable my headset but it'd be handy not to have to do that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
HDTV Thread, what's the go-to recs for 4K Blu-Ray players these days? Must be available in UK, cost not to exceed £300.

Models currently in consideration:
  • Panasonic DP-UB820EB
  • Sony UBP-X700
  • LG UBK90

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
• XBox One S

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 11, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Fedule posted:

HDTV Thread, what's the go-to recs for 4K Blu-Ray players these days? Must be available in UK, cost not to exceed £300.

Models currently in consideration:
  • Panasonic DP-UB820EB
  • Sony UBP-X700
  • LG UBK90

Sony X800

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What TV are you pairing it to?

OLED or some other sub 1000 nit TV? Then the DP-UB820EB is the best choice due to the tone mapping built in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Butterfly Valley posted:

• XBox One S

As an xbox one s owner, no.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

bull3964 posted:

What TV are you pairing it to?

OLED or some other sub 1000 nit TV? Then the DP-UB820EB is the best choice due to the tone mapping built in.

Ah, right. This will go with a C9 by way of receiver (probably Yamaha RXA1080).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EC posted:

I’ve had an LG C9 for awhile now and it’s working great. I love it, the wife loves it, it’s all good. Today I’m loving around with the settings while I’m on a boring conference call, and I notice it’s saying it’s not connected to the internet. I have an Ethernet cable plugged into it, but really only for updates, I never use the installed apps.

The Ethernet is reporting as connecting but no internet, so I decide to try the WiFi with the same result. At a loss, I decide to try the built in apps, and Netflix works fine, even though settings says no WiFi. Really weird. I’ve tried power cycling the set but it gets the same result.

Should I do a factory reset?

I'm an idiot. I setup a spare rpi with pi-hole, somehow that IP address got into the TVs IP settings, so it would connect but not be able to resolve host names. Fixing this also fixed an issue where my Harmony hub refused to connect, so I feel like a complete idiot. Don't play with your DNS settings while drinking, kids.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fedule posted:

I have the Sony X800 mk II, it works fine. I only bought the bigger model because I got a coupon code. I think the 700 is almost the same and the main difference is the case, my previous blu ray player was one of those compact Sonys and I could hear the drive sometimes.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm in the market for a TV for a small living room.
Which of these two would you say is better?
https://www.amazon.es/LG-65SM8500AL...89221822&sr=8-1

https://www.fnac.es/TV-LED-65-Sony-...e1eea5bb11fe77c

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Sony. The only LGs worth looking at are the OLEDs.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I got a TCL tv and I wanna connect to it through the network my hardware isnt miracast compatable (and i figure there should be a way to do it over the network anyway?) any help or am I in the wrong place? Thanks in advance

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My receiver crapped out on me tonight. Everything was fine and then all of a sudden I got "AMP ERR" and shutdown and blinking "MCACC" light. It will not power back on, no matter what button combinations I try. The manual says " The receiver may have a serious problem. Do not try switching the receiver on. Unplug the receiver from the wall and call a Pioneer authorized independent service company."

There's a service company not far from me, so I might give them a call tomorrow, but unless they say it's gonna be like 50 bucks or less to fix, I think it's dead. RIP Pioneer VSX-1020. 2010-2020.

So, that being said, anyone have any Receiver recommendations? Wirecutter says to go with the Denon AVR-S750H, but it's a little pricey at $500 from Amazon or $430 from Costco. I only need 5.1, though I think in the range of receivers I'm looking at, 7.1 will be standard. If I found one with 7 HDMI ports that would be ideal, though I know that's asking alot. Even the Denon only has 6 (5 in the rear, 1 in the front). And I need one with a phono input. I already have a preamp, but I'd like to reduce the amount of wires and boxes to plug in I have around.

Is it a standard feature now that receivers will take any non-digital input (ie component or composite video) and output it over HDMI? When I got my VSX 1020 in 2010 that was a fancy feature, but I imagine it's standard now? Regardless, I don't currently have any component or composite devices to plug in, but it would be nice to know it would be easy if I needed to use one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In short, it's not a feature you are likely to get.

In long, receivers that are cheaper that happen to still have analog inputs are almost certainly too cheap to have upscalers. Beyond that, to even get analog to digital conversion at all anymore, you are going to have to go high high end.

Take a look at the back panel of the AVR-S750H for example. You get two composite inputs. That's it. No component at all. Also, that model does not do analog to digital conversion, so you have to use the composite out if you use the composite in.

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5594/~/av-receivers-with-video-conversion-capabilities

The $1k X3600H is the minimum receiver that offers analog to digital conversion.

You'll likely find the same for other manufacturers. Once most of the inputs went to HDMI standard, most of the analog to digital converters were dropped for cost savings and it's only an enthusiast feature now.

Basically, you waited too long :D They've went from rare/expensive to relatively common, back to rare/expensive again.

My 2015 X2200w has all those features and only cost me $620.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
When are the new Denon receivers supposed to come out? Any chance we see them before the new year?