Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
basically it works like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How is the Demon Slayer kid a communist

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

How is the Demon Slayer kid a communist

he's literally Big Brother :haw:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

he's literally Big Brother :haw:

Good to know Ichigo supports the revolution, I guess

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good to know Ichigo supports the revolution, I guess

Ichigo absolutely would have taken the "gormless centrist" slot but I didn't have room

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ichigo being the "centrist" doesn't really work because Ichigo gets to do all sorts of cool stuff and has a kickass sword while centrists are loving dullards to a one.

Anyway the real question is where Gintoki fits in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ichigo being the "centrist" doesn't really work because Ichigo gets to do all sorts of cool stuff and has a kickass sword while centrists are loving dullards to a one.

Anyway the real question is where Gintoki fits in.

Anarchist

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

Is Mekakucity Actors any good? I have an affinity for SHAFT and it looks very SHAFT.
You know how people say "Fate/whatchamacallit " this or "Fire Emblem: Blahdee-blah" that? What they mean is Kagerou Project.

It's fine. You can enjoy it as a standalone. But again, since it's a bunch of Vocaloid songs with a story-arc, which then have light novels, which also have manga, a movie and an anime and... you get the idea.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AlternateNu posted:

Is Mekakucity Actors any good? I have an affinity for SHAFT and it looks very SHAFT.

I too have such an affinity, but was 'meh' on the show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

One Piece is VERY long, but I can give a list of filler to skip with some episodes that are actually worth a watch even though they're filler. But to add a series, Outlaw Star is a solid anime GotG show you might like.

What point would that be just out of curiosity?
around the enies lobby arc, when they jump the bridge and there's a flashback. I believe that is specifically when they finally for real caught up to the manga and the format changed to turning each 19 page chapter into a 22 minute episode which obliterated the pacing. there were brief good moments throughout past that of course, but it was the Marineford War arc that was the point where I was like "nope, I'm out" because I am pretty sure there is literally an entire episode if stringed together of just Luffy running and screaming. just horrific pacing issues and garbage animation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you want something shafty, just watch Tenamonya Voyagers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

the songs its based on are very, very good and the music videos in the show are good, and there's some really good visuals, but as a standalone narrative it's functionally worthless, so little is explained (and not in a good, letting you put the pieces together way) and the narrative throughline is really shaky.

It's more bonus material for fans of the music its based on than an actual show.

That said, please listen to the music, because the music is insanely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnijrGBfSZI

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 9, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

if you want something shafty, just watch Tenamonya Voyagers

Old School. Also, lol on the OAV summary on ANN: Paraila was an agent for a war organization in the space, but suddenly the supreme court of planets accused her of betrayal and she was forced to be a fugitive to escape from jail. Now she forms a team with a clueless school teacher, a bazooka lover girl and Paraila's former sidekick. They will battle against Paraila's enemies, and try to go to earth to escape from space justice.

SPACE JUSTICE!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i watched that recently and it's fun but i don't know if i'd call it shaft-y despite being shinbo, it's from before he developed most of the visual quirks that i associate with shaft

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tenamonya's visual quirks don't match up 1:1 with modern shinbo but it still has a lot of really distinct flair that you can see being the building blocks for shaft stuff

it's not like metal fighter miku where like, a couple episodes have really good visual direction but for the most part it's kinda standard fare

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Anybody know some good shows with a really strong finale?

I'm feeling kinda disappointed by some recent shows, which ended on a rather lackluster note. (Looking at you, BNA.) So might as well tap into the hivemind to benefit from hindsight.

If I had to give examples, it'd probably be Tatami Galaxy, Baccano!, Madoka (duh), Mind Game (movie, but whatever), Ping Pong... Something that's just catharsis straight into my veins

I'll happily be spoiled for any shows with promising starts and poo poo endings

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

k-on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Akanesasu Shoujo, A Place Further Than The Universe, Gurren Lagann

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

Akanesasu Shoujo, A Place Further Than The Universe, Gurren Lagann

Came to say Gurren, I'd also say Kill la Kill ends pretty well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People sleep on K-On but they really shouldn't. Like legit one of the best shows from the 00/10's. Also since it was recently recommended, I have really fond memories of Outlaw Star ending up really strong.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Steins;Gate

Your Lie in April

Gankutsuou

SSSS.Gridman

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

I'm feeling kinda disappointed by some recent shows, which ended on a rather lackluster note. (Looking at you, BNA.) So might as well tap into the hivemind to benefit from hindsight.

If I had to give examples, it'd probably be Tatami Galaxy, Baccano!, Madoka (duh), Mind Game (movie, but whatever), Ping Pong... Something that's just catharsis straight into my veins

Katanagatari
A Place Further Than the Universe

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna go outside the box and say Machikado Mazoku

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dennou coil
girls und panzer
turn a gundam

i really liked shiki's finale but that one's probably more ymmv than most

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Torquemadras posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

I'm trying to remember if LOGH does. I'll recommend it anyway because even if the ending sucks, by the time you find out I'll be long dead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
LOGH is historical themed, it ends with the end of an era, not with a great climactic battle and a denouement, but the promise that history will continue to be made. Sure, some may not find it satisfactory.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jojo's bizarre adventure generally has pretty good finales for each of the parts, at least as far as i've seen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
part 5 drops the ball pretty hard but 1-4 have fun endings

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Torquemadras posted:

If you take the Gurren Lagann recommendation, the movies which are a compilation of sorts of the series also have new endings to each of them and they're both gorgeous finales. They've got some of my favorite sakuga in both of the ending parts.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Run With The Wind is a series based on a novel and so it has an ending that is both definitive and very good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw it got added to Crunchyroll, is the City Hunter anime any good, or is it a stick to the manga type deal?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Torquemadras posted:

hey rec thread it's me, the guy who says Monster

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The one piece anime past a certain point gets very bad, so the more common recommendation is to read it, not watch it. There's even a colorized version.

Big O might be good for semi-watching, you can just not really focus too hard on it until you hear Roger yell "BIG O, SHOWTIME!" :v:

Actually the entirety of every Big O episode is interesting and good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Big O is a show where a guy watches a French New Wave film and has an existential crisis so it's probably one of the most relatable anime ever made in that regard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the least interestng part of most big o episodes is the giant robot fights. like they give the robots a good sense of weight and there's some cool monster designs but they mostly just waddle into each other into big o does some random attack that it'll proceed to never use again for the rest of the show

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

the least interestng part of most big o episodes is the giant robot fights. like they give the robots a good sense of weight and there's some cool monster designs but they mostly just waddle into each other into big o does some random attack that it'll proceed to never use again for the rest of the show

It's intensely faithful to it's tokusatsu influences which is why the fights own too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

It's intensely faithful to it's tokusatsu influences which is why the fights own too
to be honest that does describe toku mecha fights so yeah, fair

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even if you don't like the cool surrealist existential plot stuff i dunno how you can act like the character writing in big o isn't its strongest suit in general. like one of the best parts of the show is just the back and forth roger and dorothy have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i remember being disappointed by big o 2 mostly b/c the early-00s digital look did not suit it at ALL