Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

By the end of that Naruto thing I had stopped laughing at how stupid Naruto was and started laughing at the fact that Woolie had actually sat through all that poo poo and kept going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reaverbot posted:

By the end of that Naruto thing I had stopped laughing at how stupid Naruto was and started laughing at the fact that Woolie had actually sat through all that poo poo and kept going
The podcast bit or the NUNS 4 LP?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Man, watching Minh eat poo poo for an hour in Dokapon was fantastic.

shame it didn't last

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Grouchio posted:

The podcast bit or the NUNS 4 LP?

The part in the podcast where he talked about it for what felt like hours

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Just to restate it: Do not give up on the Dokapon playthrough, the past two sessions have gotten batshit nutso. Episode 42 (came out an hour ago) is the start of last Saturday's session, meaning the anime is almost to the simulcast of the manga.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Just to restate it: Do not give up on the Dokapon playthrough, the past two sessions have gotten batshit nutso. Episode 42 (came out an hour ago) is the start of last Saturday's session, meaning the anime is almost to the simulcast of the manga.

I'm an anime watcher, but the past few episodes have been pretty good.

Regarding Naruto, today's episode made me wonder... is there a character in shonen that pulled a Sasuke-esqe turn, except that they were eventually rejected by the hero/es? I've been struggling to think of one, and nothing comes to mind. In all the shonen I can think of, if people like the character enough, they eventually get forgiven.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are Woolie, Reggie and Minh no longer friends? What's this Event that people keep talking about in hushed whispers?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Are Woolie, Reggie and Minh no longer friends? What's this Event that people keep talking about in hushed whispers?

They're playing Dokapon Kingdom, the most ratfuckery of adventure boardgames, doing the story mode, which is approximately 40-60 hours long, and they're doing it for a (started a few episodes in) viewer-donated prize pool aka The Blood Pool that is currently approximately $3500 winner take all (a smaller "peace pool" is to be split between the losers).

They are 90+% done with the game.

(The youtube is currently about 37hrs of content with another 4-6ish is on twitch to be pieced out across the next few days, and more to be recorded on Saturday)

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 8, 2020

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm an anime watcher, but the past few episodes have been pretty good.

Regarding Naruto, today's episode made me wonder... is there a character in shonen that pulled a Sasuke-esqe turn, except that they were eventually rejected by the hero/es? I've been struggling to think of one, and nothing comes to mind. In all the shonen I can think of, if people like the character enough, they eventually get forgiven.

Endeavour in My Hero Academia is genuinely trying to turn his life around and become s better person after being an abusive piece of poo poo for decades. His family still told him to go gently caress himself.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MHA does a whole lot right and it makes me happy.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Endeavour in My Hero Academia is genuinely trying to turn his life around and become s better person after being an abusive piece of poo poo for decades. His family still told him to go gently caress himself.

Hah, I just watched the last few episodes of MHA S4, and I spent most of them muttering "stop trying to redeem this lovely rear end in a top hat." I mean, I'm glad Endeavour is trying to turn his life around, but gently caress him forever.

What I've seen of Sasuke in Boruto, he seems a lot better and recognizes how much of a poo poo he was as a kid, but it's still amazing that everyone is okay with him after all he did.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sasuke in Boruto is great because they put him in dumb embarrassing situations and it's always funny

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

Hah, I just watched the last few episodes of MHA S4, and I spent most of them muttering "stop trying to redeem this lovely rear end in a top hat." I mean, I'm glad Endeavour is trying to turn his life around, but gently caress him forever.

It's not a redemption story, it's an atonement story. This is a very important distinction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If MHA could just throw horrible garbage child Mineta into the ocean it would be perfect.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

If MHA could just throw horrible garbage child Mineta into the ocean it would be perfect.

I subscribe to the fan theory that he's only being kept around in case one of the kids needs to be killed off, mostly because I want him to die horribly.

I mean, jfc, the first thing he says to a little girl upon meeting her is "I can't wait to see you in ten years!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Archenteron posted:

They're playing Dokapon Kingdom, the most ratfuckery of adventure boardgames, doing the story mode, which is approximately 40-60 hours long, and they're doing it for a (started a few episodes in) viewer-donated prize pool aka The Blood Pool that is currently approximately $3500 winner take all (a smaller "peace pool" is to be split between the losers).

They are 90+% done with the game.

(The youtube is currently about 37hrs of content with another 4-6ish is on twitch to be pieced out across the next few days, and more to be recorded on Saturday)

Oh, Dokapon Kingdom, that makes total sense. At least I'm now finally caught up on this scorpion and frog hellworld that Woolie and Reggie are constantly cycling in for no good reason.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

hm I didn't realize the dokapon youtube episodes were so behind the actual run, it looks like theres 2 and a half 4-hour sessions in the bank still and another (potentially final?) being recorded tonight

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I subscribe to the fan theory that he's only being kept around in case one of the kids needs to be killed off, mostly because I want him to die horribly.

I mean, jfc, the first thing he says to a little girl upon meeting her is "I can't wait to see you in ten years!"

every ladder needs a bottom rung

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Indecisive posted:

hm I didn't realize the dokapon youtube episodes were so behind the actual run, it looks like theres 2 and a half 4-hour sessions in the bank still and another (potentially final?) being recorded tonight

This is despite them cranking out 2 episodes daily (which is 2 hours according to woolie time) for the last month or so.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Matt retweeted this and I got all worried.

https://twitter.com/GIimner_/status/1259179518515982338

That's not the real Graham Linehan, and following the instructions suspends your account. :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Dokapon is amazing. It all boils down to:
Woolie min-maxed the wrong stats at the start and now his only chance is to fight through the main quest and hope the rewards put him in first
Mihn is an agent of absolutechaos whispering bad things to the others, doing everything to stop Woolie and printing money.
Reggie is beloved in game so all NPCs basically bend over backwards to put him in first.

I was team Reggie, but he spent last stream doing nothing while Mihn and Woolie fought for their lives.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

What I've seen of Sasuke in Boruto, he seems a lot better and recognizes how much of a poo poo he was as a kid, but it's still amazing that everyone is okay with him after all he did.

I mean I feel like the bolded is the important distinction with Sasuke. He defected at like 12/13 and by the end of Naruto he was like 15/16. "I was a traumatised child soldier" is probably one of the best excuses anyone can have for bad behaviour. It's still creepy Sakura and Karin are into him after the murder attempts, but I can get like letting him be otherwise.

Orochimaru is the weird one, though I guess the ninja countries all decided to blank slate their war crimes against each other and he (or is it they now?) got included in that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think it also helps Sasuke put in a little more work for atonement than your typical battle shonen bad boy who turns to the light.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

Dokapon is amazing. It all boils down to:
Woolie min-maxed the wrong stats at the start and now his only chance is to fight through the main quest and hope the rewards put him in first
Mihn is an agent of absolutechaos whispering bad things to the others, doing everything to stop Woolie and printing money.
Reggie is beloved in game so all NPCs basically bend over backwards to put him in first.

I was team Reggie, but he spent last stream doing nothing while Mihn and Woolie fought for their lives.

Reggie is the absolute incarnation of Failing Upwards, making 95% wrong decisions but reality showering him in riches.

Minh is simultaneously Grima Wormtongue and Saruman - terrorizing everyone with his magic spells and dodge chances on the field, and his honeyed words keeping everyone from smacking his poo poo in combat as he rightly deserves and taking all his stuff.

Woolie is the hardest working character in Dokapon - just trading blow for blow with the very forces of Heck while Minh and Minh-suaded Reggie rain poo poo upon him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It also helps that the only person Sasuke successfully killed while evil was, like, also turbo evil.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_RhaPAP1KM

You can see the exact moment Woolie becomes 999% done with Naruto. :allears:

Blockhouse posted:

It also helps that the only person Sasuke successfully killed while evil was, like, also turbo evil.
Then why did you stab through Karin and laugh like a maniac??? :psyduck:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 11, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Grouchio posted:

It was beautiful.

quote:

Then why did you stab through Karin and laugh like a maniac??? :psyduck:

:shrug:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh my god is reggie actually winning dokapon?! that's nuts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Grouchio posted:

I just want you guys to note that woolie literally put a Naruto quote as his high school yearbook photo quote so loooolll you can sense the death of his soul.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's weird that this, now, is the thing that breaks him.

"Everything is a cycle that repeats over and over" is like the core theme of Naruto. It's not subtle and it's all over the place and this is what gets him?

e: Come to think of it this isn't even the first time the story talks about the Sage and his brother so it's just repeating that information and Woolie just now puts two and two together?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 11, 2020

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Whenever they say anything about anime, always assume the opposite.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh my god is reggie actually winning dokapon?! that's nuts.

It changes every hour. But you get poo poo like Woolie pulling the insane upset and finally clawing out of last place into first... only for Reggie to land in a spot and that Mitch Digger basically going "well, i'll just double your economic value for no reason."

I wish there was a way to get a stream of Woolie watching post-ending Naruto content. I wanna see him go through the hijinks of the "Buy Naruto and Hinata a wedding gift, ya child soldiers" arc, if only so that when he's finally starting to have a good time, he gets to explode seeing Orochimaru in the background just doing whatever. Or that Boruto episode where Naruto takes Boruto to Ichiraku Ramen for the first time and pulls out his old, busted "Naruto Coupon". The boys rant a lot about Persona 4 characters becoming cartoons of themselves in spinoffs, but post-ending Naruto takes that so much farther beyond and Naruto proper got so bad that it becomes the best poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

I wish there was a way to get a stream of Woolie watching post-ending Naruto content. I wanna see him go through the hijinks of the "Buy Naruto and Hinata a wedding gift, ya child soldiers" arc, if only so that when he's finally starting to have a good time, he gets to explode seeing Orochimaru in the background just doing whatever. Or that Boruto episode where Naruto takes Boruto to Ichiraku Ramen for the first time and pulls out his old, busted "Naruto Coupon". The boys rant a lot about Persona 4 characters becoming cartoons of themselves in spinoffs, but post-ending Naruto takes that so much farther beyond and Naruto proper got so bad that it becomes the best poo poo.

Boruto anime has been good, almost oddly so. I wouldn't recommend the manga but the cartoon is strangely enjoyable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Szmitten posted:

Whenever they say anything, always assume the opposite.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Boruto anime has been good, almost oddly so. I wouldn't recommend the manga but the cartoon is strangely enjoyable.

It's a bit too stale for me to follow week to week, but a lot of arcs are super enjoyable. Boruto is a very good boy. That said, I want Woolie to watch the Movie even though the anime version is better; the way he started going on about Kishimoto having some relationship he's desperately trying to mend through the manga would go into overdrive when the movie's conclusion takes a 180 and has Boruto read to the camera "I, the son, was wrong to not love my absentee father. He is the coolest, and I want to ask him about his youth."

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

It's a bit too stale for me to follow week to week, but a lot of arcs are super enjoyable. Boruto is a very good boy. That said, I want Woolie to watch the Movie even though the anime version is better; the way he started going on about Kishimoto having some relationship he's desperately trying to mend through the manga would go into overdrive when the movie's conclusion takes a 180 and has Boruto read to the camera "I, the son, was wrong to not love my absentee father. He is the coolest, and I want to ask him about his youth."

Yeah, in hindsight, the movie is a bit worse when compared to the show, but I pissed off my Harry Potter fangirl friend when I told her that Cursed Child basically ripped the Boruto movie off.

The reaction I got from her makes the Boruto movie one of my favorite movies ever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Naruto is bad

Thank you for coming to my TED talk

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Al-Saqr posted:

I just want you guys to note that woolie literally put a Naruto quote as his high school yearbook photo quote so loooolll you can sense the death of his soul.

Which quote?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
boruto is good for a lot of reasons but a big one is sarada ruling and getting to win fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

boruto is good for a lot of reasons but a big one is sarada ruling and getting to win fights