Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Forum Joe posted:

But won’t someone think of the families of the players? They didn’t sign up for this? And sure, players can opt out, but can they truly?

Biggest single day of the NBA is Christmas Day, biggest single day of the NFL is Thanksgiving Day. Not saying it’s equal or worth it, just that there’s precedent.

And I think if push comes to shove, agreements would be made to share the grounds. Worst case they use the smaller grounds that are able to because I also strongly doubt crowds will be allowed for anything before next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Christmas eve Grand Final, then
Annoying family day, then
Boxing Day Test

Sorted.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Dear Santa, I've been a really good boy this year. All I want for Christmas is the Crows to win a premiership after I finish overeating turkey and ham.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

thepokey posted:

Christmas eve Grand Final, then
Annoying family day, then
Boxing Day Test

Sorted.

Grand final in the lunch break of the Boxing day test. 1 quater per day. Final day for extra time.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Christmas granny would own.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Wheres the cgranny, granny

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

snoremac posted:

Christmas granny would own.

Checks out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Just have the cricket and the footy at the same time

Call it cricfooty or something

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

wracking my brain trying to figure out how this would work.

EDIT: ACTUALLY

Just make the Aussie Rules version of hurling. Cricket bats and balls but you've got everything else based on how things work in football.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 10, 2020

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I am a goddamn genius. Make this work, AFL and CA.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Toby Greene playing Aussie Hurling

Crurling
Focket

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/adrianbarich/status/1259392195288690688?s=19

He claimed Adelaide had been docked two draft picks for the social distancing breach

Brown Paper Bag fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 10, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Seems like the Crows just can't help themselves when it comes to breaking rules imo

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

adrianbarich

He claimed Adelaide had been docked two draft picks for the social distancing breach

Lol what?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Whateley was calling for the docking of 4 premiership points

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Look dont get me wrong Adelaide suck but I don’t really get why this is such a big deal. Like I get it’s wrong but not “dock points and draft picks” wrong

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

teacup posted:

Look dont get me wrong Adelaide suck but I don’t really get why this is such a big deal. Like I get it’s wrong but not “dock points and draft picks” wrong

sorry how is it wrong?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

sorry how is it wrong?

The AFL set out pretty clear rules for all clubs to follow and then Adelaide yet again went “fuckin lol no thanks”

Like have whatever opinion you want about whether the AFL should have made those rules, but they absolutely have the authority to impose them on clubs so don't go all snowtown sovereign citizen. Adelaide knew what the rules were, they pissed all over them, now their fans are crying about the idea of there being consequences for that.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 10, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Adelaide FC needs a hard reboot. Start the whole thing again with absolutely no one currently involved.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

Adelaide FC needs a hard reboot. Start the whole thing again with absolutely no one currently involved.

Now that EddieBetts is gone, yeah

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
What a surprise that after the Crows have routinely failed to hold their administrators accountable for overseeing several idiotic breaches of conduct (which generally offer negligible benefit to the club anyway), we are once again apparently the only club that couldn't get this right. Sigh.

At least it's been confirmed that draft picks won't be on the table for the punishment. Most likely a fine plus potentially something else, not sure what that would be. It's not like we've got any premiership points for them to dock. Maybe the players involved will be suspended from training for a while or something?

I wonder, was it the players just being dickheads, or were the rules not properly communicated to them by someone in charge at the club? Whoever it is should pay the fine out of their own paycheck.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Move the Crows to Tasmania. Then they'll be really isolated.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Presumably it will be a fine somewhere short of the $40,000 Geelong were fined for violating the salary cap rules 8 years in a row then

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The Dees FB page has been filling time this week by posting highlights of Liam Jurrah. I reckon that dude was just about one of the most naturally talented forwards to ever step foot on a footy field

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Punishment should be Tex walker having to be captain again.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I don't think they really want to do financial fines, given the situation of clubs and the league right now.

But taking away draft picks (even if it is pick ~70) might lead to a court case.

A sub 20k fine and three weeks worth of negative press oughta do it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

realbez posted:

But actually yeah

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

cmndstab posted:

I wonder, was it the players just being dickheads,

Yes.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

NPR Journalizard posted:

sorry how is it wrong?

You really think this?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

teacup posted:

You really think this?

In terms of getting the competition back up and running again, yeah very much wrong. The AFL are desperate to show that the rules they impose on the clubs are followed to the letter, as the Federal/State Govs basically don’t trust the AFL and it’s teams to maintain distancing/quarantine rules. If the Govs don’t trust the AFL, we’re not going to see a season happening for a long time, if at all this year.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Spedman posted:

In terms of getting the competition back up and running again, yeah very much wrong. The AFL are desperate to show that the rules they impose on the clubs are followed to the letter, as the Federal/State Govs basically don’t trust the AFL and it’s teams to maintain distancing/quarantine rules. If the Govs don’t trust the AFL, we’re not going to see a season happening for a long time, if at all this year.

Ah I thought you meant it wasn’t wrong at all.

Yeah I didn’t think of this angle of proving themselves to the state and federal govts. Makes sense.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

teacup posted:

You really think this?

Pretty much. From what I have read, there was a group of 8 players who were kicking a footy. Thats less than what the current guidelines from the SA government were allowing.

Then the AFL came in and said "no no, we cant have any advantages against victorian teams here" and turned the screws.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Vic gov says afl clubs can resume training this week, no details on limits of group sizes etc.

Afl will make an announcement this arvo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Pretty much. From what I have read, there was a group of 8 players who were kicking a footy. Thats less than what the current guidelines from the SA government were allowing.

Then the AFL came in and said "no no, we cant have any advantages against victorian teams here" and turned the screws.

Adelaide fc is an AFL club! I agree that it shouldn’t be but it is so it needs to follow AFL rules this isn’t complicated

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

Adelaide fc is an AFL club! I agree that it shouldn’t be but it is so it needs to follow AFL rules this isn’t complicated

Yeah, I get that, its just shithouse.

If the situation was reversed, and all the vic teams could train, but wa, sa and qld couldnt, do you honestly think they would hold back the league?

no, no they wouldnt,

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Maybe upon being told the rules for COVID-19 set by the competition they are part of, the Adelaide Crows Football Club should have...followed them?

Other clubs haven't seemed to find this a difficult concept to master.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

NPR Journalizard posted:

If the situation were reversed and a Victorian club was training when Adelaide was restricted from doing so, you would absolutely be complaining about how it's unfair, Vic bias.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Feels like this pretty much fits my hypothetical description of 'just a couple of mates exercising' and none of the AFL's drat business.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Weird Sandwich posted:

If the situation were reversed and a Victorian club was training when Adelaide was restricted from doing so, you would absolutely be complaining about how it's unfair, Vic bias.

Tbh in that scenario i would expect the AFL to say "relocate to victoria" and then if any clubs didnt want to, they would say "eh, dont care, gave you the option" and still allow training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
If the Crows aren't willing to follow arbitrary and unnecessary rules imposed on them by a body that doesn't actually care about fairness, what are they doing in the AFL?