Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

The second place might just come from her noteriety, with students not actually knowing what she stands for.

If you look at the distribution, most of the Second years are voting for Shirogane and a good chunk of the first years are voting for Miko. The person in last is barely getting any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also remember that a lot of the student body is comprised by actual dumbass teens.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Yeah it's actually kinda weird that Miko has as much support as she does among the first years. Like I guess the explanation is just meant to be that most of them don't actually give a poo poo about who they're voting for and are just voting purely on name recognition, but considering her policies and her attitude you'd think the first years would be more likely to just look at the candidates and go "Oh god anybody but Iino" and just throw in their vote for Pres or Hongo instead. Especially considering later chapters make it clear that she's widely hated among the first years and even very heavily bullied, so the idea of them going "sure I'll vote for miss hardass" seems kinda weird. Maybe the actual explanation is that they're all just voting for her as a joke candidate. It'd certainly be more realistic than how these things usually go in anime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the explanation is more simple in that most students don't care and are voting for the person in their year combined with name recognition.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also the last line of the episode said that Shirogane's lead grew even wider, so it's safe to assume many of her poll results were either name recognition or perhaps anti-Shirogane votes (Fuji did say the whole "impure" thing was still a hangup for many students) until they took a look at her policies and decided "Oh hell naw :stonk: "

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also remember that Pres has a couple of factors going against him:
  • As Fujiwara mentioned, he's an outsider "impure" student. And while a lot of the student body may not give two shits and might, in fact, look up to the Pres, a lot of people are probably sore about this poor "nobody" being the StuCo Pres.
  • A lot of students consider Kaguya the school idol, and the fact that the Pres spends a lot of time with her is enough to earn him a lot of "gently caress that lucky bastard!" points against him
So there's the fact that people are not so much voting for Iino as much as they are voting against Pres.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Oh wow, I missed that in the episode. I thought the reason why the first years didn't like him was because he was already a second year and they preferred a 1st year SCP (Keter class joke goes here).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the explanation is more simple in that most students don't care and are voting for the person in their year combined with name recognition.
Yeah, I think it's this. Academic performance is prized at Shuchiin (all the hubbub when it looked like Shirogane (#1) was going to publicly confess to Kaguya (#2)), so being the top student amongst the 1st-years, Miko would have a leg up on anyone else in her grade.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Great intro for Iino. And I love Fujiawara back there telling the boys that they look like assholes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HEY HEY

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZuOjNKJ0s

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Is she building a minecraft server box? That doesn't look like modern DDR4 ram. :colbert:

Is this largely because she was angry with Kaguya afterwards? Please tell me we get more of her with her being out of patience! :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this largely because she was angry with Kaguya afterwards? Please tell me we get more of her with her being out of patience! :allears:
I will not spoil you with specific examples because that would be in bad form, but suffice to say that you ain't even seen the final form of Hayasaka's exasperation with her neurotic mistress. :twisted:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Show continues to own Fuji teaching Shirogane again was clearly the best part, except not even clearly cause the entire Kashiwagi-Kaguya segment happened and it was just as amazing :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There was a throwaway gag in episode 4 that is a reference to the rather famous Hydraulic Press Channel on youtube for those who are unaware of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8dfyYgviUY&t=56s

Ai Hayasaka has good taste in youtube.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I feel like they must have really upped the budget for this season. It feels like they have like double the number of usual keyframes. it almost feels like a Kyoto Animation show in the animation smoothness.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hell yeah, a lot of nice fluid moments and wonderful changes in expression. I wish anime was more like this more of the time instead of only saving it for battle fighty scenes.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Show continues to own Fuji teaching Shirogane again was clearly the best part, except not even clearly cause the entire Kashiwagi-Kaguya segment happened and it was just as amazing :allears:

I actually legit would like it if they decide to bring her on into the Student Council if/assuming they do win as head of discipline or whatever that position would be just so they can continue to play off each other.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

More interpolated covers/mash-ups this time around:

Ishigami's thoughts on true love contain a variation on Phil Collins' "In the air tonight" and Gary Numan's "Down in the park" put together. And I think the theme from "Love story" plays at the end of the scene.

The Psycho theme, X-files theme also plays during the singing section.

The Godfather theme and The Rose of Versailles OP also return.

Now that I'm hyper-attentive to the soundtrack I can't tell if anything is original-original or not. Either way, the sample pulls are pretty good.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVrjN9b_dp4 This plays through the 'well-rested' JOJO reference. This should conclude my trainspotting for this episode.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 10, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean a *Monogatari alumni is probably going to be super into references/meta-humor, so I am not surprised.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:hmbol:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So many godamn amazing reactions this episode, and I'm only 7 minutes in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show is unbelievably next level, from the music to the animation to the voice acting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is that the Japanese national anthem or do all schools have their own anthem? And can I find it on youtube?

One thing I wonder about if the Fujiwara segment might've had a little more emotion in it, because japanese voice talent probably goes through hell and back doing voice training. So Fujiwara's va is probably channeling some pent up emotions. :D

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that the Japanese national anthem or do all schools have their own anthem? And can I find it on youtube?

One thing I wonder about if the Fujiwara segment might've had a little more emotion in it, because japanese voice talent probably goes through hell and back doing voice training. So Fujiwara's va is probably channeling some pent up emotions. :D

It's a school thing I'm pretty sure. I've seen it in other shows; I remember the one in Joshikousei no Mudazukai being pretty funny.

Fujiwara having to teach Shirogane how to do things is her eternal penance for hilariously throwing a wrench in everyone's plans.

I'm really happy about Ishigami becoming more and more of a good dude this season. I can't wait for the later stuff if they can manage to get to it this season.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I found Fujiwara in FFXIV

SennyYak
May 10, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

I found Fujiwara in FFXIV

That's an imposter! Where's the bow?

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I really like the singing chapter. The anime medium makes it much more interesting than when I read it in the manga.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab posted:

Still waiting for Ch 36 to be adapted
my expectations for the kaguya anime have finally been fulfilled, the rest is gravy

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A top tier episode. A top tier season, in fact. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

2reachmu posted:

More interpolated covers/mash-ups this time around:

Ishigami's thoughts on true love contain a variation on Phil Collins' "In the air tonight" and Gary Numan's "Down in the park" put together. And I think the theme from "Love story" plays at the end of the scene.

The Psycho theme, X-files theme also plays during the singing section.

The Godfather theme and The Rose of Versailles OP also return.

Now that I'm hyper-attentive to the soundtrack I can't tell if anything is original-original or not. Either way, the sample pulls are pretty good.

Thanks for this! Some of these sounded familiar but I couldn't put my finger on what they were.

This season is really well put-together.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I already like this season more than season 1. Holy balls.

Also, I found this :v: .

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Here's a good side-by-side comparison of the Monogatari scene:

https://twitter.com/PhantomCat_1204/status/1260525518673154050

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Virgin Araragi vs the Chad Monster (Virgin) Shirogane

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/aniplexUSA/status/1260765308102619136

You know, that was kind of a mediocre joke, that dates the episode to this trying time, and would age poorly. But it wasn't a huge deal.

But for some reason it pissed off enough people that they went back and changed it and probably made some poor guy making pennies on the dollar get disciplined.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Or just told the translator to insert less topical 'jokes' and it will be a nothingburger for everyone involved, really.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Would've been a perfect line for the Abridged version of that episode.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

They should have translated the Miko and Shirogane posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Phobophilia posted:

https://twitter.com/aniplexUSA/status/1260765308102619136

You know, that was kind of a mediocre joke, that dates the episode to this trying time, and would age poorly. But it wasn't a huge deal.

But for some reason it pissed off enough people that they went back and changed it and probably made some poor guy making pennies on the dollar get disciplined.

One of the first comments I see is a dweeb with an Emiya Alter icon criticizing localization over direct translation.

For a nothing scene that got a half chuckle from me. I hate this.