Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I prefer to have cash on hand which is why I keep cash on hand that makes me comfortable and then only buy toy cars when I can pay cash for them above and beyond that number.

What I struggle with is that I prefer to have cash on hand so I keep cash on hand that makes me comfortable and then when I have cash on hand above that number that's my new cash on hand number that I feel comfortable with.

Porsche Thread: Cash on Hand

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I prefer to have cash on hand which is why I keep cash on hand that makes me comfortable and then only buy toy cars when I can pay cash for them above and beyond that number.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at.

But this is the Porsche thread, so by all means if you gotta yolo don't let me stop anyone.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

What I struggle with is that I prefer to have cash on hand so I keep cash on hand that makes me comfortable and then when I have cash on hand above that number that's my new cash on hand number that I few comfortable with.

Porsche Thread: Cash on Hand

This is me. I wouldn't take a loan at 4+% but when they're under 2% or even maybe 3% then why not.

Bank number go up

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

What I struggle with is that I prefer to have cash on hand so I keep cash on hand that makes me comfortable and then when I have cash on hand above that number that's my new cash on hand number that I feel comfortable with.

in fairness, that is me too, but i did drop like 20k cash on the M5 and then uh, an incremental number in maintenance and repair

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If I do end up getting a 911 (leaning toward a either a g50+ aircooled or a 996/7 Turbo) when the market gets better, I plan on having cash on hand for maintenance, so financing will be the way to go imo. If the market rebounds by the time I pay it off, the interest charges will have been worth it. If not who cares I got to drive a Porsche.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Well, the 2009 from yesterday went for 42 thousand American dollars soooo.

Manual GTSs seem to go for mid 20s-30k or so. Take a look at what a used Cayenne from the last decade runs, and then decide if paying 30k for a used German SUV from two decades ago is worth it.

:eyepop: On further review this car seems to have had 10 owners so that's enough of a reason for a nope. But I didn't expect that kind of price!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

:eyepop: On further review this car seems to have had 10 owners so that's enough of a reason for a nope. But I didn't expect that kind of price!

Yeah, used Cayennes are a pretty decent deal. Looks like you can get a 2016 GTS in the 30s.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was looking at ~2013 Cayenne Turbos in the 30ks before corona virus even hit, it was super tempting but both my mechanic and my car journalist friend put me off on the idea. I ended up with a Lexus that weighs 5200lbs and only has 300HP, so I guess the complete opposite of a Cayenne Turbo.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I was looking at ~2013 Cayenne Turbos in the 30ks before corona virus even hit, it was super tempting but both my mechanic and my car journalist friend put me off on the idea. I ended up with a Lexus that weighs 5200lbs and only has 300HP, so I guess the complete opposite of a Cayenne Turbo.

You mean in that it's running?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Is oil leaking into cylinders when they sit for a while a common thing on 3.4L motors at all?

Dad hadn’t started his 987.1 Cayman S for a month or so until today, and once it warmed up a bit it blew quite a lot of oil smoke. It’s never done it before, but it wouldn’t often have sat for that long since he’s owned it.

It alarmed us so we shut it down and brainstormed what the hell it might have been, and when we started it up a second time to see what happened it again started smoking a little after a couple of minutes, but fairly quickly stopped and it was normal after that.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 10, 2020

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's a thing with them. My 05 Boxster seemed to do it on occasion, just a bit of an embarrassingly large puff of white/blue smoke that cleared right up after. Sometimes happened after sitting a couple days but I've had it happen after only half a day of sitting. No rhyme or reason that I could discern and it occurred fairly rarely. When I looked into it I found some rennlist posts that speculated it was the aos that might seep some oil into the engine when shutoff and it just burns off on startup.

My 08 has only done it once or twice in my ownership but it did have the aos replaced just prior to my purchase so maybe there's something there with the aos theory. Both my 08 and 05 are/were the 2.7 base engine though.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Bajaha posted:

It's a thing with them. My 05 Boxster seemed to do it on occasion, just a bit of an embarrassingly large puff of white/blue smoke that cleared right up after. Sometimes happened after sitting a couple days but I've had it happen after only half a day of sitting. No rhyme or reason that I could discern and it occurred fairly rarely. When I looked into it I found some rennlist posts that speculated it was the aos that might seep some oil into the engine when shutoff and it just burns off on startup.

My 08 has only done it once or twice in my ownership but it did have the aos replaced just prior to my purchase so maybe there's something there with the aos theory. Both my 08 and 05 are/were the 2.7 base engine though.

After I posted my question my dad did some research and found the OAS info too, so it seems like that’s the most likely culprit. 🤞🏻

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Is oil leaking into cylinders when they sit for a while a common thing on 3.4L motors at all?

Dad hadn’t started his 987.1 Cayman S for a month or so until today, and once it warmed up a bit it blew quite a lot of oil smoke. It’s never done it before, but it wouldn’t often have sat for that long since he’s owned it.

It alarmed us so we shut it down and brainstormed what the hell it might have been, and when we started it up a second time to see what happened it again started smoking a little after a couple of minutes, but fairly quickly stopped and it was normal after that.

My 987.1 S would do this occasionally as well, though the events generally seemed to occur a few days after going to the track. My AOS did eventually go, and that was a bitch and a half. May be good to have it pre-emptively replaced for peace of mind

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

My 987.1 S would do this occasionally as well, though the events generally seemed to occur a few days after going to the track. My AOS did eventually go, and that was a bitch and a half. May be good to have it pre-emptively replaced for peace of mind

Could be a good idea by the sound of it, thanks!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
$0 down, 0% apr/48mo for a 2019 911 turbo & we haven’t even scratched the surface of this economic collapse.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

And every second email I get is “4 payments waived”

And most dealerships just opened today in my area

Never seen so many “we missed you!” Posts on Instagram before

I love it when businesses grovel

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 11, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

And every second email I get is “4 payments waived”

And most dealerships just opened today in my area

Never seen so many “we missed you!” Posts on Instagram before

I love it when businesses grovel

at least for most of them it's no payments for like 4 months or whatever but they just start the clock on the lease/note 4 months later.

so if you borrow like $40k incl interest/36 months it's really just borrowing $40k incl interest/40 months

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at least for most of them it's no payments for like 4 months or whatever but they just start the clock on the lease/note 4 months later.

so if you borrow like $40k incl interest/36 months it's really just borrowing $40k incl interest/40 months

Yep. And a lot of places it’s typical to offer that

At least at Benz they typically give you 3 months paid , which is actually paid because nothing changes in the terms you simply don’t start paying the bill until after 3 months of having the car

Unless I got taken for a ride and didn’t read the contract thoroughly

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bajaha posted:

AOS is the first go-to with blue smoke. The good news it's not a horribly expensive fix for a DIY but oh boy, it's a fun one on the 996. If you have easy access to the back of the motor on the 986 it might not be bad.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

krysmopompas posted:

$0 down, 0% apr/48mo for a 2019 911 turbo & we haven’t even scratched the surface of this economic collapse.

oh nice! Can I ask whereabouts this is happening

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krysmopompas posted:

That is wild because generally it seems Porsche is not nearly in the finance game as much as other manufacturers (Looking at you BMW). The crater coming is going to be bonkers. What I wonder is if this will raise prices of decent used cars because people don't have new car money.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is wild because generally it seems Porsche is not nearly in the finance game as much as other manufacturers (Looking at you BMW). The crater coming is going to be bonkers. What I wonder is if this will raise prices of decent used cars because people don't have new car money.

Or if there's going to be another "cash for clunkers" that clears out the cheap used market for a decade.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://jalopnik.com/coronavirus-car-deals-are-getting-dialed-back-1843390332

Didn’t you hear? The crisis is over!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this makes sense though because most OEMs haven't really been making cars for a while now.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

oh nice! Can I ask whereabouts this is happening
Bay area, Walnut Creek. It’s not advertised, and I didn’t check to see if it was actually approved by their manager, but they do seem pretty desperate to unload all the 2019s before the poo poo hits the fan.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this makes sense though because most OEMs haven't really been making cars for a while now.

Sure, but I’ve got a feeling the good deals aren’t quite over...

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's nuts but orders aren't far off from the beginning of the year from the programs I can see. Unofficial word from one of the big ones is that it'll be slightly down long term but Michigan and Mexico are driving parts shortages keeping everyone from starting up at near full speed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jymmybob posted:

It's nuts but orders aren't far off from the beginning of the year from the programs I can see. Unofficial word from one of the big ones is that it'll be slightly down long term but Michigan and Mexico are driving parts shortages keeping everyone from starting up at near full speed.

JIT's Achilles' Heel.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Back to Cayenne GTSes:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-porsche-cayenne-gts-10/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-05-13

But maybe this instead? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-land-rover-range-rover-18/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-05-13

That would be perfect for my cosplay of a british lord.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wow was this article written by someone that was off planet during 2008~2012? The car industry is going to get pummeled. They definitely have already. Service is way down because people aren't driving, "extra" fixings are going to be delayed because of financial concerns.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is Jalopnik which was never amazing motor journalism but since the new owners bought the whole group it run it into the ground I doubt it has gotten better.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wow was this article written by someone that was off planet during 2008~2012? The car industry is going to get pummeled. They definitely have already. Service is way down because people aren't driving, "extra" fixings are going to be delayed because of financial concerns.

Yeah. Financing could be tightening up because so many cars have been sold and inventory is running low or because lenders are tightening their belts because they see the economic disaster coming. Or both.

And the article happens to also be written by a guy who works as a car buying consultant, sooo. :v:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah. Financing could be tightening up because so many cars have been sold and inventory is running low or because lenders are tightening their belts because they see the economic disaster coming. Or both.

And the article happens to also be written by a guy who works as a car buying consultant, sooo. :v:

What the hell is a car buying consultant?

You ask him what cars to recommend before talking to the dealer? Seems like a shoe-horned way to make money off the already bloated and overly convoluted process

Last car I bought I did 99% of it via email, and made it clear from the start if they wanted a sale they were going to do it that way. I only showed up in person to sign the legal stuff and get the keys

The salesman even said they were looking at shortening the paperwork process by having digital 'tables' where you sign once and it applies to all the documents needing your signature. After reading them of course

I'm sure with the covid situation they will look at ways to move it ALL online , including electronic signatures

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nah he does the negotiation with the dealer for you for the specific car as well. it's probably more useful if you are trying to find a specific used car.

i did my last new car purchase on a tablet. it was fine, the process was still fairly antiquated but at least we didn't kill a lot of trees.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I was trying to work out a deal with a Honda dealer on a type r a few months ago and they absolutely flat out refused to do anything online at all and then hounded me on the phone and left more voicemails than a debt collector.

Absolutely lmao that they now are contacting me again now to try and work out a deal online now.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
PSA: https://finder.porsche.com now searches all Porsche dealerships for used/CPO/etc.

I love this but hate how 997 Targas are $10k+ more than the equivalent C4: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/911-Targa-4-145442

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
On a related note, if anyone's looking for air cooled 911s or 944/968s, let me know because there's a local master tech's shop that always has some sitting out front but they don't advertise them anywhere. I pass them every day and for a while he had a 993 targa plus 2 968s and I was incredibly close to buying another 968 because I really miss mine.

https://www.facebook.com/Stuttgart-Motorwerks-Pete-Martin-202848439862565/

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Jymmybob posted:

On a related note, if anyone's looking for air cooled 911s or 944/968s, let me know because there's a local master tech's shop that always has some sitting out front but they don't advertise them anywhere. I pass them every day and for a while he had a 993 targa plus 2 968s and I was incredibly close to buying another 968 because I really miss mine.

https://www.facebook.com/Stuttgart-Motorwerks-Pete-Martin-202848439862565/

I mean sure, but what's he letting them go for?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DevCore posted:

I mean sure, but what's he letting them go for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
One of the 968s was 16k which was correct for the condition and options. I haven't stopped to check out the 911s but there's been some 930s and 964s out lately.