Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of my son, I'm right up on the cusp of unleashing Alien on him but am dreading the wrath of his mother in the event that it scares him to the point of insomnia and nightmares.

My 6 and 7 year old daughters watched Alien and Aliens with me. Chest bursting scene was definitely peak terror and mom was displeased. Milky boy was more funny after the initial violent part. No other short term damage, long term TBD. Aliens was fine, they got more spooked the more Newt was in danger but not anywhere near chest burster.

I am going to watch the rest of the franchise with them but I feel like Alien 3 is just a little prison rapey for them right now but I may be wrong because it has been forever since I have seen it. I unironically love Prometheus/Covenant and I want to get them through all of the movies, even Resurrection. In order is how I'm living my life.

They have also seen Predator and both Terminators which were mostly too boring for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw part of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 when I was 4 and seriously didn't sleep with my lights off anywhere until I was 13. I didn't watch another horror movie until about 18. That's probably part of the reason why I have a few sleep disorders.

I saw Stephen King's IT when I was maybe 12 but a friend was there so I couldn't look like a bitch. I had to walk him home at night though and as soon as his door closed I ran full speed for 1/4 mile back home.... to sleep with my lights on still.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I grew up watching lovely horror movies on sci fi channel

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arzakon posted:

My 6 and 7 year old daughters watched Alien and Aliens with me. Chest bursting scene was definitely peak terror and mom was displeased. Milky boy was more funny after the initial violent part. No other short term damage, long term TBD. Aliens was fine, they got more spooked the more Newt was in danger but not anywhere near chest burster.

I am going to watch the rest of the franchise with them but I feel like Alien 3 is just a little prison rapey for them right now but I may be wrong because it has been forever since I have seen it. I unironically love Prometheus/Covenant and I want to get them through all of the movies, even Resurrection. In order is how I'm living my life.

They have also seen Predator and both Terminators which were mostly too boring for them.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm kind of going by feel and instinct. He's a sensitive kid. So far, he's handled JAWS, T1 and T2, Venom, Night of the Living Dead and the Resident Evil games well and fine. But every once in a while something I didn't expect will scare him, freak him out and get stuck in his head. Then he tells his mom I let him watch whatever that poo poo was, it keeps him up and I catch poo poo from my ex wife that I'd rather not deal with.

For some reason, I feel better about showing him Aliens over the original but for some stupid reason the continuity seems important, a la T1 and T2, and I want to maximize his experience and Do This Right. T1 was the first R rated movie let him watch and Alien is loving intense.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching the making of alien again and I realized that the deleted scene of Dallas being turned into an egg pretty much the most important thing in the alien franchise

Had they included that scene the entire franchise wouldn't be recognizable. Aliens wouldn't be the same. Nothing would be the same

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Is this the first time RoboCop and the Terminator have done a crossover since the comics?

Xenomrph posted:

I saw Alien at age 9 and I turned out just fine. :shepface:

Oh, you've seen the films? Would never have guessed.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had to walk him home at night though and as soon as his door closed I ran full speed for 1/4 mile back home.... to sleep with my lights on still.

LOL, I did this too when I was like 10 or 11 but for some reason I thought if I was making noise people would look out their windows and no monster would attack me if people were watching. So yeah, I ran a couple blocks home while yelling "AAAAAAAAAAAAA." Wish I could remember what movie we watched.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arzakon posted:

I generally don’t condone infanticide but I think you might need to get better kids. :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Resurrection is a good opportunity to teach "why are all of these people horrible".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Count me among the ‘watched Alien at ten with my dad at midnight’ crew. Kids with a regular upbringing love being scared when there’s no actual danger, it’s a formative part of growing up, I think.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No man do not show your 6 and 7 year old daughters Alien 3. They got spooked the more Newt was in danger because they identified with her. You're not only talking about a movie with an attempted rape, you're talking about a movie where the little girl they cheered on as she survived a dangerous situation dies in her sleep and then gets her fuckin rib cage sawed open in front of her surrogate mother. Maybe save that one for middle school.

Or don't, because it's a poo poo movie

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

purple death ray posted:

No man do not show your 6 and 7 year old daughters Alien 3. They got spooked the more Newt was in danger because they identified with her. You're not only talking about a movie with an attempted rape, you're talking about a movie where the little girl they cheered on as she survived a dangerous situation dies in her sleep and then gets her fuckin rib cage sawed open in front of her surrogate mother. Maybe save that one for middle school.

Or don't, because it's a poo poo movie
This is pretty good advice

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Is this the first time RoboCop and the Terminator have done a crossover since the comics?

There was a RoboCop vs Terminator videogame for the Genesis and SNES

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 9, 2020

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

At this point, it feels like the MK makers should just abandon the veneer of making a Mortal Kombat game and just do a dedicated big sci-fi/horror franchise crossover game. They must have done enough guest fighters now to basically have a full character roster.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Voting Floater posted:

At this point, it feels like the MK makers should just abandon the veneer of making a Mortal Kombat game and just do a dedicated big sci-fi/horror franchise crossover game. They must have done enough guest fighters now to basically have a full character roster.

:agreed:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain how characters dying in the plot is supposed to be a big deal when every fight ends with someone getting torn in half? Resurrection is obviously a pretty simple thing in the MK universe, why do they sometimes make a big deal of "Oh no, Liu Kang has been killed!"? He'll be back next round, calm down.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess this game isn't dead after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eg7Pzk15g

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sunswipe posted:

Can someone explain how characters dying in the plot is supposed to be a big deal when every fight ends with someone getting torn in half? Resurrection is obviously a pretty simple thing in the MK universe, why do they sometimes make a big deal of "Oh no, Liu Kang has been killed!"? He'll be back next round, calm down.
The throwaway pickup games you and your friends played aren’t “canon”.

“The plot” is shockingly intricate across all of the MK games (and yes, it’s one continuous story- even when they “reboot” stuff, it continues from the previous game in doing so).
I mean it’s all very silly overall but the fact that NRS has put this level of attention into the plot of a punchman videogame with a gory gimmick is admirable.

https://youtu.be/Eto3TevXmAs

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Splicer posted:

Probably relevant to this thread's interests

https://youtu.be/t0ue0jsQaPk

i'm done with video games but i'm deffo gonna watch a stream of this

also lol @ 0:55

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
RIP Little Richard

https://youtu.be/eFFgbc5Vcbw

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Was he an alien?

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
A goddamn sexual tyrannosaur

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
He wasn't an alien! Maybe.

Speakings of Aliens one thing really aged badly and I can't imagine being good to begin with.

Destruction of the Nostromo cost a vast..........42 million dollars in adjusted dollars. Not counting payload. Earth must have had gone through a serious financial meltdown that re established what value in the dollar was.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Wowshawk posted:

A goddamn sexual tyrannosaur

I only just now got the "sore rear end" joke poncho makes right after

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I wonder how many people know if you watch Aliens right after the end credits you can hear an alien egg open.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 10, 2020

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Keltar posted:

Speakings of Aliens one thing really aged badly and I can't imagine being good to begin with.

Destruction of the Nostromo cost a vast..........42 million dollars in adjusted dollars. Not counting payload. Earth must have had gone through a serious financial meltdown that re established what value in the dollar was.

*Looks around at all the poo poo happening*

Ummm.... I think that's about to happen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I watched Alines the DC yesterday and it was good.

Real good.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Xenomrph posted:

I generally don’t condone infanticide but I think you might need to get better kids. :colbert:

It takes a long time for Terminator to get to the murder robots part, but once that kicks in they are good to go okay?

purple death ray posted:

No man do not show your 6 and 7 year old daughters Alien 3.

Immediately after the movie they asked to verify "Newt made it out, right" and I had to be all "yep and they lived happily ever after, definitely".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Keltar posted:

I wonder how many people know if you watch Aliens right after the title credits you can hear an alien egg open.

Title credits?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Shaocaholica posted:

Title credits?

Opps, I mean end credits.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Keltar posted:

Nostromo was an old work tug, $42M in spacebucks sounds about right. I'm assuming the refinery they were pulling was probably worth far more but got covered by space GEICO. The Nostromo was such an old piece of poo poo that just landing it on uneven ground put it in desperate need of repairs.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I'll admit it, $ 42 000 000 is a lot of money to a broke gently caress like me.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Too many people deal in absolutes. I like a never say never guy.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'll admit it, $ 42 000 000 is a lot of money to a broke gently caress like me.
I was gonna say accounting for inflation 42,000,000 in 2122 is the equivalent of like, a '04 Tercel with 200k on the odometer now. Minimum wage in 1950 was like 55k/yr now. But then:

Keltar posted:

Destruction of the Nostromo cost a vast..........42 million dollars in adjusted dollars.
Adjusted from what? Or is that verbatim from the movie dialog?

Jay_Zombie posted:

*Looks around at all the poo poo happening*

Ummm.... I think that's about to happen.

I'm reminded of the quote about the gold rush. The way to stay afloat is gonna be selling people wheelbarrows to dramatically pose for photos with their stacks of Weimar Dollars.

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess this game isn't dead after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eg7Pzk15g

'Scorn' huh. Dunno how I'm supposed to feel about that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PipHelix posted:

That line is straight from the movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

PipHelix posted:

UH from 57 years passing, idiot, do you even Alien(s)?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There is no inflation in the Alien timeline because they've advanced enough to use a purestrain gold based monetary system.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PipHelix posted:

It's verbatim but also it's referring to the fact that 57 years have passed since the loss of the Nostromo at that point.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What is the adjusted Bitcoin value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Funny to think some of those execs bitching about the Nostromo were just kids or not even born yet when Ripley blowed it up.