Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

aardwolf posted:

I have literally never driven a car (I get seizures) so forgive me if this is a stupid question but isn't there supposed to be some sort of auto-shut off to prevent this from occurring?

Yes there is.

As you can see though it does fail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

aardwolf posted:

I have literally never driven a car (I get seizures) so forgive me if this is a stupid question but isn't there supposed to be some sort of auto-shut off to prevent this from occurring?

the nozzle will stop pumping when it detects the tank is full (by detecting the density of fumes, I think), but you can pump more by pulling the lever again (though you shouldn't, "topping off" isn't worth the risk of spillage). If you drive off with the nozzle still in your car, it will quick release and auto-shutoff. What that person is doing doesn't interact with either of those things.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
She is holding the nozzle so it’s not seated properly. There is a little hole in the nozzle that is supposed to get submerged and cause pressure to rise, but the hole is out of the tank in this case.

Seeing as how that car is brand new, I assume the driver is also brand new and also doesn’t know how to pump gas.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I think this belongs here.

https://twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/1258682943716782080

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Do not disrespect the ‘Rona.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Alright, thanks folks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheHomerTax posted:

I'mma go ahead and call bullshit on "died peacefully"

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well it's not like he could die screaming.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

aardwolf posted:

There's normally a thunk and it stops pumping, but you can pull the handle to open the valve and squeeze some more in (there's normally loads of space) to get your fill to $xx.01 because gently caress you failed to stop it on $xx.00 again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Transcript follows.

quote:

All right. Just stepped off set. My director Rawson Thurber just ran up to me. We had a little accident.

He said “Are you bleeding?”

I said “Bleed? Heh. I ain’t got time to bleed. All right let’s pop the sumbitch back in.”

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Memento posted:

"With his family by his side" sets of the bullshit detector like crazy for me, unless they didn't know he had COVID when he died.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Frabba posted:

"With his family by his side" sets of the bullshit detector like crazy for me, unless they didn't know he had COVID when he died.

https://www.snyderfuneralhomes.com/obituary/john-w-mcdaniel/

Maybe "by his side" is just a nicety, meaning he had people who loved him. It's a little odd that they included the cause of death.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Are these people working in hermetically sealed biodomes, or what?

Air flow is something that architects take carefully into account when designing high traffic areas like meeting rooms. They don't usually account for somebody turning the aircon system off when people are in the building.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kanonvandekempen posted:

At about 31'15'' there's a haunting image of a guy who must have walked into the beach when the water receded before the first wave. By the time he realises what's going on he's way to far in to even try to run, so he's just standing there, waiting for death to come for him. Very haunting.

I'm kinda surprised at how little understanding people have of natural phenomena though. There's a couple with the guy filming his wife standing in the water going: "Wow, first all the water just drained from the sea, now it's come back 4 meters in just 20 seconds, crazy. Let's stand in it and film ourselves."
I liked the part where some dipshit American said she thought the tsunami must have been a terrorist attack

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Don't sleep on this one I about had a psychotic break at the end

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Want to make a fight-over-the-shoe joke but feel it's in bad taste, but really not as bad as this actually is

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TACD posted:

I liked the part where some dipshit American said she thought the tsunami must have been a terrorist attack

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

TACD posted:

I know I'd be one of those people, but I am loving screaming over here as everyone just ho-hums the entire loving ocean evacuating the beach.

"my, isn't that strange! Dear, would you pass me the Banana Boat"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This goes on for an extra minute after the cutoff but it doesn't make it much better.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Frabba posted:

I'm not American, but I know that over here, they let immediate family visit folks on their covid deathbed, though they have to do it dressed in protective gear.

"Died peacefully drowning in liquefied remains of his lungs, but did own the libs doing so."

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

TheHomerTax posted:

Life comes at you pretty fast (and by life I mean death)

Anyway, there's this: Police officer uses 'take-down' maneuver on Alabama shopper who wasn't wearing mask in viral video. The real schaden is America's hideous race issues getting in the way of my enjoying an rear end in a top hat customer getting bodyslammed.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Double Punctuation posted:

Seeing as how that car is brand new, I assume the driver is also brand new and also doesn’t know how to pump gas.

given the last driving lessons derail I assume nobody ever does that during lessons in the US?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Handiklap posted:

I know I'd be one of those people, but I am loving screaming over here as everyone just ho-hums the entire loving ocean evacuating the beach.

"my, isn't that strange! Dear, would you pass me the Banana Boat"

Later on when the wave is coming back in there's a guy laying down on the wet sand where the was and he just kinda stands up and looks around as the wave come crashing back towards him, doesn't seem to react till its about 50ft away. I can only assume he was carried there when the sea went away and deposited otherwise I have no explanation for what he was doing there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Transcript follows.

The first couple times I watched, I swear he said "pop this sausage back in."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

trickybiscuits posted:

Anyway, there's this: Police officer uses 'take-down' maneuver on Alabama shopper who wasn't wearing mask in viral video. The real schaden is America's hideous race issues getting in the way of my enjoying an rear end in a top hat customer getting bodyslammed.

Article is subscriber only, here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc6WH3i21Fo

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dwayne Johnson's 4yo is obsessed with Moana but hasn't figured out that her dad played Maui, just that he's really good at singing the songs, which she's made him do about 900 times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/Jybrcbw.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Dwayne Johnson's 4yo is obsessed with Moana but hasn't figured out that her dad played Maui, just that he's really good at singing the songs, which she's made him do about 900 times.

imagine waking up one day and realizing your dad is The Rock...that would rock.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Memento posted:

There's really no other way to go when you're intubated.

Disclaimer: I've been intubated

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

TACD posted:

Friends of mine were doing an Erasmus semester in like Bali or somewhere, and the power went out one evening at a hostel. Everyone was chilling and lighting candles except for the Americans who were freaking out because of it "propably" being a terrorist attacks.

9/11 ruined the collective consciousness of the USA so hard its unbelievable

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Son of Rodney posted:

Friends of mine were doing an Erasmus semester in like Bali or somewhere, and the power went out one evening at a hostel. Everyone was chilling and lighting candles except for the Americans who were freaking out because of it "propably" being a terrorist attacks.

9/11 ruined the collective consciousness of the USA so hard its unbelievable

To be fair, the Bush administration's response did that.

People seem to forget that there was a terrorist attack on the WTC in 1993. How the government handled it, set the tone.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The 1993 bombing killed 6 people. There are reasons besides the Bush administration loosing it's mind that made the September 11th attacks a bigger deal.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Patrick Spens posted:

There are reasons besides the Bush administration loosing it's mind

It was that Benny Hill edit, wasn't it

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I've experienced two rogue waves, certainly not tsunamis by any means. The first picked me up off of the top wall of a tide pool and bounced me off the back wall. I almost got swept out and when I managed to haul myself out my elbow was split open and I had a couple puntures in my shins. My hands where I tried to hold on to the rocks looked like I had run them over razorblades. The next day I felt like I had been hit by a concrete truck.

The second time was at work on the beach and I caught onto it because a bunch of tourists had walked to the edge of the dining area of the resort and were looking at a curling wall of water that was just hanging out near the reef. I took one look at that loving thing and started running the other way. I jumped on a planter and hauled myself onto the roof and watched the wave blast through the hotel and out into the parking lot. A bunch of tourists got slammed by the wave with a couple broken bones.

The ocean hates you and will actively try to gently caress you up. Don't trust it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm kind of curious to know what level of education most people had about tsunamis before 2004 and 2011. Were there tsunamis caught on camera before 2004 that were widely seen? Obviously there was no early warning system in most of the countries affected by the 2004 tsunami, and even Japan's system significantly underestimated the size of the 2011 tsunami, but you have tourists and locals alike in that documentary just kind of standing there making no effort to get to higher ground as the second wave comes barreling into shore.

In trying to research this question I learned this:

quote:

July 9, 1958: Regarded as the largest recorded in modern times, the tsunami in Lituya Bay, Alaska was caused by a landslide triggered by an 8.3 magnitude earthquake. Waves reached a height of 1,720 feet (576 meters) in the bay, but because the area is relatively isolated and in a unique geologic setting the tsunami did not cause much damage elsewhere. It sank a single boat, killing two fishermen.

In comparison the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami reached 108ft and the 2011 Japan tsunami reached 133ft. :stare:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Alaska tsunami was in a relatively small, confined area.
The 2004 and 2011 tsunamis were in open ocean and displaced far, far greater amounts of water. Wave height is largely dependent on bathymetry.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

To be fair, the Bush administration's response did that.

People seem to forget that there was a terrorist attack on the WTC in 1993. How the government handled it, set the tone.

I mean I’m no fan of what happened after 9/11, but hearing that someone tried to blow up a parking garage versus watching the tallest buildings in New York fall down live on tv had a pretty stark difference in how the events were perceived.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy poo poo, rounding up that's like 287 Brawnfires

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I'm kind of curious to know what level of education most people had about tsunamis before 2004 and 2011. Were there tsunamis caught on camera before 2004 that were widely seen? Obviously there was no early warning system in most of the countries affected by the 2004 tsunami, and even Japan's system significantly underestimated the size of the 2011 tsunami, but you have tourists and locals alike in that documentary just kind of standing there making no effort to get to higher ground as the second wave comes barreling into shore.

In trying to research this question I learned this:

In comparison the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami reached 108ft and the 2011 Japan tsunami reached 133ft. :stare:

I read Pearl Buck's The Big Wave as a child, plus learning some ocean stuff in geography in junior high, plus living on the coast of California. Before the 2004 disaster, I had assumed everyone knew what "ocean rapidly receding a long way out" foretold. I then also learned that not all tsunami have this behaviour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
But still if the loving ocean is leaving you should be too