Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jesus, my home network is just a Cisco 2900 with gigabit interface that I set up to let me use silly hostnames for all my computers

i like it because I can set up TFTP and boot my Unix workstations over the network when I set them up

It also routes DECnet to my VAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my home network is a router

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There Will Be Penalty posted:

i was bored as gently caress so you get to cherry-pick from billions of stylistic variants.

font compiler go brrr

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my network used to be a router but I had to add a slightly smart switch to reserve bandwidth for one device that would freak out if it started running even slightly slow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my home network is a router and the various switches used to get ethernet cables where I need them.

I run an unraid box to ingest and store hd video footage so I can edit in premiere directly on the unraid share without needing to shuffle data around or use proxies

it’s surprising how fast a bunch of raided laptop drives will move data, it will saturate a gigabit Ethernet link

that’s as complex as it gets for me tho

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 20, 2020

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my home network is a cheap ubiquiti edgerouter X except I have one of these switches next to it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973985173.html so everything runs over fiber

also an outdoor PoE switch powering my raspberry pi radio receivers thats also fiber-fed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spankmeister posted:

1 = lowercase L is violence

https://twitter.com/samoyedcore/status/1252384298834878464?s=21

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it’s surprising how fast a bunch of raided laptop drives will move data, it will saturate a gigabit Ethernet link
A single desktop drive can do that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

evil_bunnY posted:

A single desktop drive can do that.

SATA3 is like 6 Gb/s?

My home network is a lovely Archer set to WAP-mode and a couple of PisHole on 3B+es doing DHCP and DNS (I have them on a single vIP and set up to do a supremely janky fail-over via rsync, based on occasional tests it seems to work fairly well).

Needs-suiting until I get around to buying a Dream Machine?

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 21, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

e:nm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats the best bet for an Arduino-like device (basically a shitload of GPIO) for someone who potentially wants to take their project commercial? I know from glancing at the Arduino licensing that I'd have to open-source parts of the project and ~MY IP~, also an arduino makes it really easy for someone to dump the firmware out of the device, obviously.

I need something that has Arduino functionality without the hindrances to commercializing

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whats the best bet for an Arduino-like device (basically a shitload of GPIO) for someone who potentially wants to take their project commercial? I know from glancing at the Arduino licensing that I'd have to open-source parts of the project and ~MY IP~, also an arduino makes it really easy for someone to dump the firmware out of the device, obviously.

I need something that has Arduino functionality without the hindrances to commercializing

I've never done it, but from reading stuff online, getting an ATMega2560 (the microcontroller used in the Arduino Mega with plenty of IO) and making a PCB shouldn't be that hard. Printing PCBs in China is dirt cheap now (with sites like jlcpcb) and fast. If you're really going for a commercial application of 10-100 products it would probably be the best option in my opinion.

e: you'd basically need an AVR programmer to connect to the jtag port to flash the firmware. Dumping the firmware is going to be easy no matter what for anyone who knows what they're doing. I guess not putting a USB port on it makes it a little harder for the average dude with a laptop but there's not much more you can do, I think.

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 21, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're really worried about toeing the line for the open-source licenses and not using any arduino stuff, you're gonna have to write a shitload of code yourself. that's what i would be most concerned about. the hardware part is relatively easy -- ATMegas usually only need a couple of capacitors and a stable 5v supply to run, and you can program it with a $3 USBasp from ebay.

or you could just develop it all on an arduino, pry the chip out of the board and plug it into your own circuit, and tell the open source people to go pound sand. nerds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and if you're seriously concerned about people dumping and hacking your firmware, well, handling that is probably out of idiot spare time project scope. you can't get code off the microcontroller, just the raw binary, so any attacker is going to be set up with decompiling tools and a deep knowledge of low-level programming and uh good luck

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

if you're really worried about toeing the line for the open-source licenses and not using any arduino stuff, you're gonna have to write a shitload of code yourself. that's what i would be most concerned about. the hardware part is relatively easy -- ATMegas usually only need a couple of capacitors and a stable 5v supply to run, and you can program it with a $3 USBasp from ebay.

or you could just develop it all on an arduino, pry the chip out of the board and plug it into your own circuit, and tell the open source people to go pound sand. nerds

doesn't atmel studio have a bootloader and libraries that make it almost as easy as the Arduino? and it's free?

i don't know, it's been a couple years since I've actually done embedded stuff that wasn't Arduino-based.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m mostly in the brainstorming phase now, but I know the last time I went down the idiot project path the arduino licensing was a problem.

I’ll probably proof of concept it in arduino anyway since I have to find out if it even works and that’s just the easiest thing to try.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd be really surprised if given the final arduino product it took much effort to create a perfectly sufficient shim on top of whatever atmel provides. this sort of stuff is mostly complicated by generality, which is, presumably, irrelevant to your needs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

pic32 :kheldragar:

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I started getting into demoscene lately and it's really addictive. Always fun to play with audio and shaders and get quick results all the time,. Here's FFXV music visualized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LY6_sBipC4

Will soon want to run this kind of stuff with music I've composed myself though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

still working on being John carmack here

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1254321216963346432

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Have you choked out your coworkers yet? That's crucial.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Some Doom OST viz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoJWHSd_Euw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9CJEV90CVo

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

while i'm waiting for my last project to get manufactured, i tried making a development board that is very small but still usable and cheap to make. this is the result:

it's based around the stm32g030, a 64mhz cortex M0+ with 8k sram and 64k flash. the pin headers expose 2x I2C, 2x UART, SPI, multiple 2msps 12-bit ADCs and up to 14 gpios. i added an 8-bit DAC and 2 megabytes of spi flash to make it more useful out of the box. also two buttons and leds for tinkering. can be powered over usb or directly from a li-ion battery

costs less than 10 dollars to make even in tiny quantities, which is less than many of the ICs on the boards i typically make :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

decided I might as well go whole hog and start writing my TMS34010 arcade game’s map editor in OpenStep since all my other toolchain stuff is from 1989

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1257958101447258112?s=20

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spatial posted:

it's based around the stm32g030, a 64mhz cortex M0+ with 8k sram and 64k flash. the pin headers expose 2x I2C, 2x UART, SPI, multiple 2msps 12-bit ADCs and up to 14 gpios. i added an 8-bit DAC and 2 megabytes of spi flash to make it more useful out of the box. also two buttons and leds for tinkering. can be powered over usb or directly from a li-ion battery

Neat!

Luigi Thirty posted:

decided I might as well go whole hog and start writing my TMS34010 arcade game’s map editor in OpenStep since all my other toolchain stuff is from 1989

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1257958101447258112?s=20
N-n-neat?

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
jumping right from remixing into composing i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCOYn8yl0Do

this time I got a tasty advection effect going on with the FFT

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Someone else's project that is both idiotic and neat at the same time, he needs to gaze less at the camera though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-vFtiDYiIw

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i made the goatse wifi:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1259064170038755329

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:yeah:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like the variant where you redirect all the requests through a transparent proxy, then your imagination is the only limit. you could make every image on a page hello.jpg if you want

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

i guess it doesn't work as well now that HTTPS is more or less standard everywhere

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I like the variant where you redirect all the requests through a transparent proxy, then your imagination is the only limit. you could make every image on a page hello.jpg if you want

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

i guess it doesn't work as well now that HTTPS is more or less standard everywhere

yeah that's what i was thinking about trying next (might be able to use WCCP to do fun stuff).

the funny thing with captive portals is that devices seem to give zero shits about whether the portal is presented via HTTP or HTTPS (my firewall can do both but without a public cert HTTP is easier). imo that seems a bit hosed because if the portal requires forms-based login then the creds get POSTed over plain HTTP on an open wifi connection :nsa:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

gave the SSL-VPN web login page on my firewall the 219.css treatment (greenpos supremacy):

annoying part was having to replace the spaces and line-breaks in the ASCII art with HTML escape characters because the fortigate strips them out. also there's some JS which gets injected and changes the inner-HTML of the form elements so the NICE! is replaced with Login. can't seem to modify that, guess it makes sense to prevent trickery

it's pretty cool how much you can customise these replacement message pages. also yes vpn.darkstar1.net is on the internet but i've configured it to only accept connections from sources that are geoip matched to AU so you'll need to fire-up your own VPN before loading hacking tools heh

edit: yeah i'm too lazy to get a certificate. was thinking of hacking something together that uses let's encrypt, might be cool

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also there's some JS which gets injected and changes the inner-HTML of the form elements so the NICE! is replaced with Login. can't seem to modify that, guess it makes sense to prevent trickery

use css to make the text transparent and use a background image that says NICE!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wheany posted:

use css to make the text transparent and use a background image that says NICE!

or a pseudo element ::before or ::after with content: 'nice!';

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My OpenStep system now contains /me/Library/Frameworks/WadKit.framework

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a new idiot spare time project.

a friend of mine who is a quadriplegic approached me about setting up a sim racing rig. he has limited mobility in his hands and arms but does drive a (real, non-sim) vehicle.

he uses a suicide knob to steer, which is easy enough to replicate on any sim racing wheel, but the project part of this is he uses a two way sort of joystick to manage the brake and gas in his vehicle.

he managed to snag a used one and asked me to try to convert it to work on a PC for iracing.

so here is what I have:

it seems very simple. the lever is attached to that black thing that I think is a rotary encoder, but it has like 9 wires coming out of it, which is more than I’ve ever seen on an encoder.

the encoder wires then run to that pcb which mainly seems to be a breakout and power board, it has an rj45 jack on it and a barrel plug

more wires run out of that pcb and go into the braided line, which is cut. :smith:

the good part is there is no logic on the pcb, just power, resistors and the rj45. ill grab some better pics of everything in a bit.

anyone ever seen an encoder with that many outputs? I’m assuming power, ground and some signaling but I’m not sure what else it could have.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

anyone ever seen an encoder with that many outputs? I’m assuming power, ground and some signaling but I’m not sure what else it could have.

this is a wild guess, but if it's an absolute encoder it could have a separate output for each bit of gray code

e: for extra context: it probably has something like this inside it

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 15, 2020

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ok i found the actual device. you probably already have this info since you have the actual hardware but i feel proud of my detective work.

Eletronic Mobility Controls AEVIT 2.0 L-Series gas and brake lever

the little notch thing on the lever is the same in this picture, and those two bolts below the encoder are there too

here's a pdf manual for the whole drive-by-wire system it's designed to interface with

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 15, 2020

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I would have expected some kind of encoder too, but looks like its actually just 3 potentiometers in a housing.

Took me forever to figure out what SS&C stood for, since there's some loving financial investment group making GBS threads up all the results, but check out this PDF:
http://www.mantech.co.za/datasheets/products/6015_spectrum.pdf

Ctrl-F for "6111" series and you can see the exploded view.

And more wild conjecture about the meaning of the rest of the model number 6111-2006-030:
- 20 means 20KOhm pots
- 06 maybe a shaft diameter designation?
- 030 means 30 degrees of rotation (in each direction?)

Also here's the product page but no additional info:
https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-6111-2006-030.html?q=6111-2006&source=header
maybe datasheet is request-able?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

peepsalot posted:

I would have expected some kind of encoder too, but looks like its actually just 3 potentiometers in a housing.

three potentiometers stacked in a trench coat passing themselves off as a grown-up encoder...