Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I enjoyed the 4th Ninja War solely for reading and shitposting about it on forums. Favorite moments:

-The 5 Kages getting jobbed offscreen
-The reveal that Madara murdered Tobi's girlfriend on purpose so he'd join him. A cherry on top to Tobi's trainwreck backstory.
-The chapter where Neji dies while shielding Naruto from an attack everyone was capable of dodging.
- Madara using sharingan powers after resurrection but before he stole his eyes back from Tobi.
-"To defeat the manga's final boss you both need to touch her at the same time!". Next chapter: We both touched her and now she's dead.
-"Naruto, Sasuke: Thank you for saving the world!". 1 frame later Sasuke needs to kill Naruto and the Sage Ghost just says "Welp, seeya".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

I enjoyed the 4th Ninja War solely for reading and shitposting about it on forums.

Reading both Naruto and Bleach was very enjoyable for this reason

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I know I peaced out from Bleach during the last arc but the 4th Ninja War is so forgettable to me I can't remember if I actually read it or not. One way or another I'm pretty sure I read the last chapter, but the things that happen between that and Madara showing up are very murky.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sub Harrison posted:

I enjoyed the 4th Ninja War solely for reading and shitposting about it on forums. Favorite moments:

-The reveal that Madara murdered Tobi's girlfriend on purpose so he'd join him. A cherry on top to Tobi's trainwreck backstory.
-The chapter where Neji dies while shielding Naruto from an attack everyone was capable of dodging.
- Madara using sharingan powers after resurrection but before he stole his eyes back from Tobi.
-"To defeat the manga's final boss you both need to touch her at the same time!". Next chapter: We both touched her and now she's dead.
-"Naruto, Sasuke: Thank you for saving the world!". 1 frame later Sasuke needs to kill Naruto and the Sage Ghost just says "Welp, seeya".
Don't forget Naruto calling the guy that was responsible for him being an orphan and just about every hardship and his life a "Cool dude" because he too wanted to be Hokage.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is there not a naruto thread to talk about that goofy poo poo there or nah

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

Don't forget Naruto calling the guy that was responsible for him being an orphan and just about every hardship and his life a "Cool dude" because he too wanted to be Hokage.

Lmao yes, I forgot Naruto teaming up with the guy who murdered his mom in labor and sent his dad to the shadow realm.

E: typo

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 9, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The coolest guy

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sub Harrison posted:

My favourite was Madara using the secret loophole of the Edo Tensei that no one knew about to resurrect himself. That was freaking ridiculous.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Madara being super-pumped to fight Hashirama and Hashirama going "not now you dumb rear end" was the best part of the 4th war.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

verbal enema posted:

is there not a naruto thread to talk about that goofy poo poo there or nah

Every shonen series will eventually be compared to Naruto, One Piece or Bleach at one point or another, it's something you've just gotta learn to roll with.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

The big three? More like the big Piece.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Sub Harrison posted:

Mild take, Neji should have died in the Sasuke Retrieval arc.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Every shonen series will eventually be compared to Naruto, One Piece or Bleach at one point or another, it's something you've just gotta learn to roll with.
Yhwach tries to use his futuresight to choose a path where he wins, ends up seeing a near infinite number of big red fists swinging right for him.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Despite being part of the Big Three, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone talk about Bleach without mostly just listing its faults. Even then I barely ever hear it get talked about at all, unlike Naruto or One Piece.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheLoneStar posted:

Despite being part of the Big Three, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone talk about Bleach without mostly just listing its faults. Even then I barely ever hear it get talked about at all, unlike Naruto or One Piece.

That's more the circles you've been posting in— I know several groups that still talk about BLEACH and remember parts if it fondly, and are excited for the new anime adaptation. But yeah BLEACH peaked early on with the first couple of arcs, and has been varying degrees if mediocre to bad from then on in my opinion. Good points include the character designs, the sense of humor early on, and interesting powers early on (and much later on they're essentially just stands from jojos). The anime also had a really good OST.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since Bleach has been brought up, I'm surprised the anime hasn't had Saitama murder someone's theme song like what Aizen did to Ichigo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Since Bleach has been brought up, I'm surprised the anime hasn't had Saitama murder someone's theme song like what Aizen did to Ichigo.

I mean all the dramatic hero music cues at the end of season 1 are given to Boros and not Saitama so that's pretty close

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Speaking of the redraw chapters, where exactly are the OPM chapters in this thread being released from? I've noticed the new SJ releases are way behind what's already been drawn. Is Murata releasing these chapters as previews or something?

e: And what are these redraw chapters being released for?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 10, 2020

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Its probably because it blew its entire load during the Soul Society arc and hit a sharp nosedive right afterwards.

People who are excited about the Bleach revival are gonna be pissed when they actually watch the drat thing, talk about all build up with no delivery.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sub Harrison posted:

Mine has to be Naruto saving the world, and his dead zombie dad goes up to him, gives him his first fatherly hug and announces that, since it's just past midnight, its Naruto's birthday!

Shugojin posted:

I mean all the dramatic hero music cues at the end of season 1 are given to Boros and not Saitama so that's pretty close

Yeah, this. When the OP Second Verse is playing, the shift is already happening where Saitama is on the left side of the screen, where the evil guys are, like monsters in super sentai, or enemies in a yugioh duel, and the music is swelling as Boros keeps going all out... until Saitama completely no sells all that effort.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 10, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Electric Phantasm posted:

In all of Bleach, that moment is still my absolute favorite.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Mine has to be Naruto saving the world, and his dead zombie dad goes up to him, gives him his first fatherly hug and announces that, since it's just past midnight, its Naruto's birthday!

Forgot about that too! Might have to reread the arc during the quarantine and rediscover all the gems.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Parrotine posted:

People who are excited about the Bleach revival are gonna be pissed when they actually watch the drat thing, talk about all build up with no delivery.

why get hyped for the bleach revival when you can save all of your energy for the Inuyasha revival

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Babe Magnet posted:

why get hyped for the bleach revival when you can save all of your energy for the Inuyasha revival

The Inuyasha revival happened a few years ago, it’s done now.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

The Inuyasha revival happened a few years ago, it’s done now.
I got some news for you, buddy.

https://twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/1258787350806749185

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yep. Same producers as last time (Sunrise), original series creator's coming back for character designs, one of the old episode director's is directing it, they've got animators, writers, and composers coming back from the original series too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have a friend who was a huge Inuyasha fan back in the day. I wonder if she'll be excited for this or pained?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This isn’t really a revival though, it’s a sequel/spin-off.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gologle posted:

I have a friend who was a huge Inuyasha fan back in the day. I wonder if she'll be excited for this or pained?

true inuyasha fans will feel both

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The only thing that I would actually care about the wet fart that was the Thousand Year War arc was the kenpachi training bit, that was a pretty good twist.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Hueco Mundo was the absolute last arc that was decent at least in terms of fights but the story peaked way too early to maintain positive praise in the long run. The last arc was a trainwreck of pacing, writing, villains, and powerups. Art was still on point though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bleach should have demonstrated to the entire world that extended mega arcs with no breaks are a terrible idea for shounen manga, and catastrophic for shounen manga with a currently running anime. so naturally, naruto made the exact same mistake with more or less the same outcome.

the current arc of opm seems long, but it is downright restrained compared to those multiple years of manga covering a single day train wrecks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXfj3sbIfU

This fight still makes me tear up. I think that, even with the stuff to come, the Boros fight will still be the peak of OPM in its final form. All the heroic visual and audio cues given to Boros. Music swelling in the last stretch whenever Saitama does something... because it's adversity for Boros to overcome. Boros starting on the left but them switching sides as soon as the first punch comes and Saitama is clearly far above Boros. Saitama just holding back to try and not instantly ruin it all for Boros immediately. The heartbeat of excitement Boros got that Saitama's been chasing since the first episode. Techniques that cut your life in order to stand up to the impossible foe. It's all the best things of a shonen in a neat twist.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

MorningMoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErXfj3sbIfU

This fight still makes me tear up. I think that, even with the stuff to come, the Boros fight will still be the peak of OPM in its final form. All the heroic visual and audio cues given to Boros. Music swelling in the last stretch whenever Saitama does something... because it's adversity for Boros to overcome. Boros starting on the left but them switching sides as soon as the first punch comes and Saitama is clearly far above Boros. Saitama just holding back to try and not instantly ruin it all for Boros immediately. The heartbeat of excitement Boros got that Saitama's been chasing since the first episode. Techniques that cut your life in order to stand up to the impossible foe. It's all the best things of a shonen in a neat twist.

These are all extremely good points but I also like how Saitama punched Boros hard enough he gave Boros a mouth.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Boros constantly pulling out new transformations, abilities, and fancy super moves throughout the battle, only for Saitama to reveal his ultimate attack and the most powerful move in his arsenal: actually throwing a proper punch.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I consider it one of the best fights in all of anime.

I mean, animation wise it's amazing but like the poster above mentioned, it's just so god drat brilliant for turning the entire shonen formula on its head and sort of making the viewer root for the bad guy because maybe JUST MAYBE HE WILL GIVE SAITAMA A CHALLENGE?

Whoa he survived several punches! :stare:

He kicked Saitama to the moon :stare:

OH poo poo A SERIOUS PUNCH :stare: :eyepop:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I watched with the "Boros is actually the protagonist" lens and, wow, that really holds up. If I knew nothing about the series and watched that fight in a vacuum, the way Boros describes himself and how he's always holding back would make me think he's the "One Punch" Man. Granted, I would be confused as to why he's fighting this bald, nondescript caped guy that can keep up with him. (And is the bald guy the villain? He doesn't seem villainous...) The music and heroic cues all go to Boros. Its obvious by the time Meteoric Burst shows up that Saitama outclasses him in every way but Saitama's surprise at Boros' speed at that point, and the kick to the moon, makes you doubt a little bit.

The real "moment" that occurs in the fight is Saitama's "Shut up. Are you done...with all this?" Boros, being the ultimate shonen, would never say "no" but it's obvious the comment took him completely off-guard. Not only had this bald guy completely matched him step-for-step (which no one had ever done) but his remark pierced through all the bluster to the pointlessness of it all. Saitama had acquiesced to a fight and even complimented Boros a few times (hollow, of course) but in his own way, Saitama is begging Boros to stop. Had Boros said, "Yeah, I've had my fun. Let's do this again sometime!" (a la Goku), I'd be curious what Saitama would have said/done.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

FooF posted:

I watched with the "Boros is actually the protagonist" lens and, wow, that really holds up. If I knew nothing about the series and watched that fight in a vacuum, the way Boros describes himself and how he's always holding back would make me think he's the "One Punch" Man. Granted, I would be confused as to why he's fighting this bald, nondescript caped guy that can keep up with him. (And is the bald guy the villain? He doesn't seem villainous...) The music and heroic cues all go to Boros. Its obvious by the time Meteoric Burst shows up that Saitama outclasses him in every way but Saitama's surprise at Boros' speed at that point, and the kick to the moon, makes you doubt a little bit.

The real "moment" that occurs in the fight is Saitama's "Shut up. Are you done...with all this?" Boros, being the ultimate shonen, would never say "no" but it's obvious the comment took him completely off-guard. Not only had this bald guy completely matched him step-for-step (which no one had ever done) but his remark pierced through all the bluster to the pointlessness of it all. Saitama had acquiesced to a fight and even complimented Boros a few times (hollow, of course) but in his own way, Saitama is begging Boros to stop. Had Boros said, "Yeah, I've had my fun. Let's do this again sometime!" (a la Goku), I'd be curious what Saitama would have said/done.

Given how Saitama reacted to all the other villain attacks, he probably would have told him to pay for the property damage and then let him go. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where Saitama kills anything that isn't actively attacking or destroying something and a few times he even is upset that he accidentally killed them (typically before they could pay for property damage).

I also liked that Saitama's super move is just him putting in effort. Like at that point, Saitama basically says, OK Boros, I'll give you the fight you're asking for and throws a real punch for the first time in the series. It's even animated like a real punch with him throwing his weight into it while the others were fairly cartoony. It kind of highlights that Saitama's super move series is just him putting in some effort and he could probably throw "Serious Punches" all day long, but it's got to have a super move name because because Hero's have names for their finishers. Then you get a pan out to the clouds to show just how outclassed Boros was the entire time.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It still amazes me that there are people who watched both seasons of OPM, and still didn't notice the precipitous drop in quality for season 2.

Like, every single frame of that Boros fight is an absolute feast for the eyes. It's amazing how well they were able to convey the fact that despite all the bombastic bluster of Boros, Saitama is still just utterly bored out of his mind and just letting Boros get shots in on the hope that maybe one of his attacks will make him feel something beyond ennui. It's incredible.

Nothing in season 2 comes within a country mile of how loving great that scene [and season 1] is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah season 2 was a massive massive step down. Season 1 is brilliant