Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

People sad Gundam Build Divers Rerise was an Isekai disguised as a Gundam show, but it turns out it's actually a traditional Gundam show disguised as a Gundam Build show.

Its basically a fantasy AU and its pretty good. I wish the original divers was like this and got a proper second season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Furnaceface posted:

Its a good show that is filling the Konosuba sized hole in my heart right now.

The decision to translate the deliberate blank slate nature of a waifu collector game's MC onto the screen by giving him total amnesia to the point he tries to eat money is legitimately brilliant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think i'll ever get sick of him getting owned followed by a butthole face reaction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The decision to translate the deliberate blank slate nature of a waifu collector game's MC onto the screen by giving him total amnesia to the point he tries to eat money is legitimately brilliant.
this is basically the joke with him in the game too tho. like the animes amped it up but the 'waifu collector game', also makes this joke

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah what i heard about the mobage is that it's just. always been a comedy. the anime just plays it up even harder cause well it's the konosuba director

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1258494386284965888?s=20

City Hunter is coming to Crunchy tonight.

Also I watched the first episode of Bakarina today and hey that's a cool and cute show that doesn't annoy me like a lot of its peers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Bakarina is fun. I think her single-minded pursuit to not get herself killed/exiled (and the pains that she goes through to actually train herself to face those odds just in case) make her legit charming as heck.

Plus the dumb faces that she cycles through are priceless, as the one in the OP facing her actual biggest enemy can attest to:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Speaking of Bakarina

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
that’s a lot of catarinas

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Catarina x EVERYONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's the kind of weird response that gets me to pick up a show, I guess.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Running the Utena route is a pro-strat, GG Bakarina

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1258494386284965888?s=20

City Hunter is coming to Crunchy tonight.

Also I watched the first episode of Bakarina today and hey that's a cool and cute show that doesn't annoy me like a lot of its peers.

'City Hunter' as a title always sets up certain expectations that the work itself does not fulfil. I want to see a dude hunt some motherfucking cities.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

'City Hunter' as a title always sets up certain expectations that the work itself does not fulfil. I want to see a dude hunt some motherfucking cities.

Been tracking Kansas City for 20 years. Though I had it once, but it was just a double.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't see anything related to city hunter without flashbacks to "HEY LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DONATED HEART"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

Been tracking Kansas City for 20 years. Though I had it once, but it was just a double.
Was it perhaps lost in the shuffle?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Darth Walrus posted:

Mortal Engines was terrible though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

You prefer Nicky Larson?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Gripweed posted:

People sad Gundam Build Divers Rerise was an Isekai disguised as a Gundam show, but it turns out it's actually a traditional Gundam show disguised as a Gundam Build show.

when you say things like this it makes me have to go and watch gundam build divers rerise past the first two episodes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wolfs posted:

when you say things like this it makes me have to go and watch gundam build divers rerise past the first two episodes

It's genuinely a pretty solid show, even if the beginning is a little on the slow side.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wolfs posted:

It's pretty drat dull for most of the first season, but on top of being good now they're also doing character backfill to retroactively make the first season better. Like, there was a little two episode arc about one character being afraid of heights, which at the time I thought was really pretty dull. But now they've gone back and explained a bit of his backstory and it's like, oh, it turns out that dumb afraid of heights story was actually really important and about more than just heights.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

wolfs posted:

It's pretty good but would have been far better if they'd cut about half of the first season to get to the twist earlier. You honestly don't lose a whole lot if you skip from episode 3 of the first season straight to episode 9.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Julias posted:

Speaking of Bakarina

so loving powerful

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Holy gently caress Nami yo Kiitekure is taking a hell of a turn.

This, but even more so

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Julias posted:

Speaking of Bakarina

Lol

Double lol for the vanilla Love is War pairing. I mean they are great together but lets get Miyuki together with the weird rear end friend that was creeping Kaguya out

chumbler posted:

Did you check Missouri?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nami yo Kiitekure is extremely good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

I mean they are great together but lets get Miyuki together with the weird rear end friend that was creeping Kaguya out

I'm sure there's plenty of Shirogane x Ishigami stuff out there

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tamba posted:

This, but even more so

gently caress is this week's episode out now? I usually save my anime watching for a batch on Saturday but now you got me all riled up.

Sindai posted:

Nami yo Kiitekure is extremely good.

poo poo man.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My watching order is usually

1. Kaguya
  2. Kakushigoto
  3. Sing Yesterday for Me
  4. Nami yo Kiitekure
  5. Fruits Basket/Tamayomi

Start with Kaguya because it's gut-bustingly funny. Move on to Kakushigoto because it's funny but it's also got heartwarming parenting moments so it tapers me down for Yesterday where I get my weekly dose of realistic melancholy. Right after is Wave! for my dose of realistic "oh god I'm such a mess wtf am I gonna do with my life". Depending on my mood and free time I watch Fruits Basket and Tamayomi right after so I don't have that saccharine taste in my mouth when watching the much better shows earlier.

Will it be more entertaining if I watch it right away or wait until tomorrow under my regular routine? All I know about the original mangaka is that his earlier works are pretty violent and that he's also done guro so I don't know what the gently caress to expect after last week's finale.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wait so Tower of God has a self insert protagonist having to climb something with a whole bunch of levels in order to gain some nebulous goal? Isn't this just Korean SAO?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
its way more like weird Korean combination of Hunter x Hunter and DBZ

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait so Tower of God has a self insert protagonist having to climb something with a whole bunch of levels in order to gain some nebulous goal? Isn't this just Korean SAO?
Tower of God has Rak Wraithraiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4GSNNCXl8

SAO does not. Ergo, Tower of God is better. :colbert:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I finished Brand New Animal. It waaaaaaaaaaaas...fine? Main character's a delight, animation has the great liveliness you expect from Yoshinari, it's definitely a solid show, but the writing's pretty wonkily paced and frays around the edges in ways that stop it from getting an A grade IMO - though I certainly wouldn't say there's anything I found to be disastrous the way I've heard, say, Kill La Kill described before. B+ IMO.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

upset to find out they’re singing daddy daddy doo in the kaguya op

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Dorohedoro get much more gorey later on? Because episode 1 already reached uncomfortable territory for me. But I'd like to continue watching.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Does Dorohedoro get much more gorey later on? Because episode 1 already reached uncomfortable territory for me. But I'd like to continue watching.

That's about as gory as it gets

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 1 might actually be the maximum in terms of average everyday ultraviolence gore. There's some high-grade shounen violence, blood from the mouth and whatnot, but that's the only straight-up gibbing I can think of. I guess there's also a decapitation but he got better. The body horror gets a bit gnarly though.

The degree to which the characters casually shrug things off as totally normal, like the annual zombie outbreak, is more disturbing to me than most of the content. It builds one hell of an affably crapsack world.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dorohedoro can and will get gorier from there on. It also gets funnier, weirder and even more heartwarming.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ranzear posted:

The degree to which the characters casually shrug things off as totally normal, like the annual zombie outbreak, is more disturbing to me than most of the content. It builds one hell of an affably crapsack world.

The zombie apocalypse with fabulous prizes is the most hilariously disturbing worldbuilding I've seen in ages

Wark Say posted:

Dorohedoro can and will get gorier from there on. It also gets funnier, weirder and even more heartwarming.

I don't think anything really tops ripping a girl's face off she gets better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That last one isn't really shown though.

Episode 1 is actually the rare exception to the thing we keep spoiler tagging, but only really misses the mark by technicality, lol.