Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Glad to see Denver make the olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

There's an extra level of Internet Lore you have to know to get this post, but god its so good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

*tom lehrer voice* ...when we're goatseing pigeons in the park...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Cyrano4747 posted:

We have some tools on the admin side that can help identify perma'd accounts. I'm not going to get into the nuts and bolts of that for obvious reasons. Some of them are the usual poo poo you'd expect if you've ever done any kind of network poo poo, some are unique to Something Awful.

That said, we don't go out and actively look for perma'd accounts. That's not a great use of the limited time that our (volunteer, unpaid) modmin staff is willing to donate to the forums. We've toyed with automated tools but those turn up a lot of false positives, and we don't want to boot innocent people because something about their online profile looked like a notorious jerk. Frankly if a perma'd person wants to just lurk until the end of time I doubt that we'd notice. What usually happens is some brand new account runs into a thread and starts being an rear end in a top hat, often in a way that reminds everyone of some perma'd jerk, and we get asked to take a look. The baleful, fiery Eye of Admin gazes upon them and if they are revealed to be a perma'd jerk we do the needful.

Crypto Cobain posted:

In that case, have an admin use one of those network tools to check up on me. :shrug:

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fittingly, seraph is a bitcoiner

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"What're you gonna do, use use network tools to check my account?" - goon whose account was checked using network tools

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

Fittingly, seraph is a bitcoiner

The funniest part is that he was given tremendous leeway to make circular, bad-faith arguments. The mod was way too friendly to him, if anything. He blasted from 0 to, what, the third most posts in the thread in a few weeks? Then he went and complained that he was being stifled, and dared the mods to look him up, lol.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I remember he kept showing up to claim he got rich in the yospos buttcoin when I followed it during the Ross ulbricht idiocy,

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

RandomBlue posted:

Mmm.. I love sliders.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The funniest part is that he was given tremendous leeway to make circular, bad-faith arguments. The mod was way too friendly to him, if anything. He blasted from 0 to, what, the third most posts in the thread in a few weeks? Then he went and complained that he was being stifled, and dared the mods to look him up, lol.
No, the funniest part is where he argues with himself:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405&userid=222993&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

“Sockpuppet Slapfight” would be a pretty good username.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

President Beep posted:

a real pane in the neck

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Why are the windows already broken in one of the shots?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Whenever you notice something like that, a wizard did it.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
i guess that's why they call it window pane

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

i guess that's why they call it window pane

That may be the worst line he ever wrote. It’s just so bad.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Animal-Mother posted:

I want to know if an assassin firing square bullets makes his own square cartridges and square rifled barrels.

popewiles posted:

I think it's fair to say that an assassin firing square bullets doesn't cut corners.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Actually most of the problems with American English were caused by one guy who thought it should contain all the words used by Shakespeare so he carelessly imported and released them.

the cali-girl "like" is a linguistic starling

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It’s beautiful and clever?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Also Shakespeare, like, always said it.

Alas, like, Buffy
she was my bestie, Tiff'ny

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also Shakespeare, like, always said it.

Alas, like, Buffy
she was my bestie, Tiff'ny

Tiffany dates back to the 12th century and would have been perfectly normal for Shakespeare to use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

It’s not like Shakespeare was above inventing names.

Names first attested in the works of the bard include Olivia, Jessica, Miranda, and Imogen.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

It’s not like Shakespeare was above inventing names.

Names first attested in the works of the bard include Olivia, Jessica, Miranda, and Imogen.

Olivia was first used in the 13th century. He just popularized it. Jessica does show up first (at least in that form) in The Merchant of Venice. Don't know about the other two.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That may be the worst line he ever wrote. It’s just so bad.

That was eminem right? I can't remember what song its from

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Oh its love the way you lie. Lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Most of the words Shakespeare gets credit for inventing were probably already in use, he just wrote down a shitload of words and had obsessive archivists so his writing is the oldest example of those words that survived to today

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

“Imogen” was probably a misspelling, but everyone goes with Shakespeare’s version so it counts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shakespeare, the content aggregator of his day

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Captain Hygiene posted:

Shakespeare, the content aggregator of his day

5 English Kings With a Name You Just WON'T Believe!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Considering the goon community, I can't believe I'm the first to mention this, but have you considered pillow mods? Forget about those expensive, off-the-shelf premium pillows and build your own pillow rigs that have the qualities that you desire. Heck, some of those fancy commercial pillows should be avoided for their outright theft of components and ideas that were developed in the pillmod community. Notably, Serta's FaceHugger line was recalled entirely after they realized the looming PR disaster that a bunch of sleep nerds would incite.
I've been into pillow modding for a few years now and have managed to improve my sleep efficiency index from 0.69 to 0.85 (I'm a class 4b sleeper). You can build a full-featured pillmod for less than $100. Hell, I've made a half-dozen models and not spent more than $200.

Before you start modding, you should heed the standard warning and check if you have sleep apnea or anything medically obstructive. Sure, your vanilla pillows are probably annoying to sleep on, but sleep apnea could be compounding the issue by permitting minor annoyances, like pillow temperature, to wake you easily. More importantly, a few people with pillmods have died while sleeping. Although many of us doubt the involvement of their mods (people who enter the community are prone to sleep issues in the first place), it's still good advice to follow.

If you do have sleep apnea, then pillmods should be hugely advantageous. In fact, the pillmod community began around sleep apnea machines (CPAPs) and their inconveniences, especially for those whose preferred sleep postures are obstructed by CPAP facepieces. The earliest mods involved simply cutting channels into memory foam pillows, and then using freezer gel inserts to cool the pillow. They would also have to reinforce the channel so that the weight of a person's head wouldn't crush the air tubes.
But now, especially with the availability of Arduino kits and cooling systems intended for electronics, there are hundreds of pillmods that you could complete in a few hours.

It seems like most people are drawn to do PCS projects for their first mods. That's fine, but be aware that the better PCS (Pillow Coolant Systems) typically are of moderate difficulty or higher. They are also costly and time-consuming, relative to other mods you could start with such as glowmods, larms, and just simply modding a pillow's material and shape to your headspace.
Here's my first glowmod larm, for example:

This is a good starter mod combination because people like it for light therapy and smooth awakenings. The pillow gradually gets brighter until your wake-up time. You can also set it to gradually get darker at night. It's the adult version of those Glow-Worms that infants love.
But if you are dead-set on a PCS mod, I suggest strongly that you forget about those flashy, complex pillmods that involve watercooled networks of capillaries or, even worse, active heat sinks (such as piezoelectric heat transfer plates). Instead, opt for something silent, passive, and/or battery-based. For example, I have build a mod called "The Vulcan Nerve Pinch" that will get you about 20 degrees F in cooling delta on soft air ducting alone. Yeah, that's not much, but don't be the guy who blows $300 on his first project and builds a pillow that gives his face hypothermia on the first test run.

Once you get some basic know-how, and you're beyond the flashy mods and ready for something purely functional, check out shape or volume mods. These will actively keep your head at the perfect elevation. JB_Artgow is well known for his expertise in this area. I'm using his Face-Lover v3 mod (Affectionately also known as "Face-Fucker v3") every night. That's where Serta hijacked their FaceHugger brand name from. Allegedly.
The Face-Fucker involves inflation and deflation of semi-rigid water bladders to redistribute the pow's volume. It sounds complex, but it's easy if you buy a parts kit. It uses a silent pump and osmotic gradients to work. You can calibrate it based on both your head's weight and angle. Unlike many other volume mods, this is one-mod-fits-all, so you don't have to design around your giant noggin.

Artgow also has a ebook on Amazon (It's only $2), with instructions for something like 100 mods. He doesn't make money on the book, but he does make a few pennies if you buy parts kits from him directly. This beats the poo poo out of finding a Radio Shack that still stocks diodes and capacitors.

Now I'd like to brag for a bit and talk about some of the more exciting, extreme pillmod possibilities, some of which I just warned you against doing. I'm in the middle of building a custom, arduino-controlled pow with about 12 different mods. Although piezoelectric coolers are all the rage right now, I'm sticking to good old fashioned microducting for cooling. However, I'm using infrared LEDs for heating. The latter are normally expensive, but Dealextreme sells them in bulk for cheap. I think they're sold out recently thanks to jerks like me, however.

I don't like a warm face. The heating mod is just for camping in the cold or when I want to use the pillow as a heating pad for sore muscles. Also: sheer awesomeness.
Here's a schematic (not mine):

As for straight-up ducted cooling, the next image is my take on how one spiderwebs their coolant ducts. You have to be careful here not to bend the tiny tubes more than about 60 degrees or put them in a position where your noggin might bend them. That might look complex, but I used only 4 channels with a coolant turnover (in this case, just water) of 2 seconds for the entire surface to cycle.

By the way, medical tubing works just fine, but make sure that it's both flexible and a directional heat conductor, like Vekspan, which is used for anastomosis. If you buy non-direction stuff, hose down the pow-side with some plastidip from your hardware store, or just throw down a layer of aluminized cloth. The lovely crinkly stuff costs a whopping $1 at Dollar Tree, labeled as an "emergency blanket." You can pilfer the softer stuff from a BBQ apron.

Once this thing is done, I intend to stress test it by running both the heating and cooling systems and letting them fight it out to the death. Of course, in a battle of the PCS vs PHS, I suspect the PHS will win and then torch my pillow.
This pillow is directional, obviously. Because I can't flip it over, I've build the base and core layers from flexible expanded polystyrene and ceramic fibers, which will probably give me mesothelioma eventually, but drat if I won't be well rested at least. I was inspired by a dude who made a low-rent version of aerogel so that he could win an award for "Lightest Pillow" at Pillowcon 2010. My pow, without the mod gear, weighs 2 ounces.

Now, uniquely for me, because my bed is up against a brick wall, I need a pillow that can deal with a little bit of moisture. I like the brick wall for it being a huge heat sink, but it causes moisture to condense on pillows, especially fancy modded ones. This problem is solved by the combination of my core layers and a rechargeable dessicant. During the day, the dessicant tumbler is turned and heated, thus expelling moisture. It's so powerful that it'll suck the sweat right out of my massive head, but at least I'll never again have sweaty pillows.

Speaking of which, at Pillcon 2011, I was the massive fucker who won the door prize of John Cezrik's faux rabbit fur surface:

You'd think that such fur would be irritating against your face after a half-hour or so, but Cezrik's material has microcapillaries built to certain OCT ranges (OCT is optimal cheek temperature). It's like sleeping on a cloud of baby buttcheeks.

Speaking of babies, I actually enjoy the sound of water pumping through the coolant tubes right next to my ears. It's very soothing. Babies, apparently, are calmed by the sound of water swishing in your mouth right next to their ears, and that's what this is like.

Also being built into this pillow o' mine will be some alarm aromatics. Not only can I wake up to a gradually-brightening, sunny pow, but the aroma of my choice (Bacon) can also waft out.
And if the gentle sound of the water pumping isn't soothing enough, I've got three speakers and the Arduino can easily generate some white noise or play sounds of various environments like the motherfucking ocean. I prefer low-range, soft brown noise. I'll have none of that hissy poo poo that store-bought machines put out.

The nice thing about having noise generated in your pillow is that the sound doesn't permeate the rest of the room. So if your significant other likes a dead quiet room and you need some noise, this is a fine solution.

Of course, all those mods result in an awful lot of wiring:

That's enough pillmod talk, I suppose. gently caress it bitches, let's glow this joint:

If this kind of thing appeals to you, there's also the blanketmod community. However, I tend to stay away from them due to it being populated by perverts who essentially make sex toys out of their comforters, which they call, obviously, "cumforters." Pillmodders are, in essence, nerds who are poor sleepers. Blanketmodders, in contrast, cut dick-sized holes in blankets with anime patterns on them and think they're engineers.

There is, however, a clever mod that came out of that community that involves a mere $30 in parts and makes your bed vibrate like the "magic fingers" machines found in crappy motels. It's really just a few off-balance weights powered by scrap motors, but entertaining. If nothing else, that and your pows should be enough to get anyone into your beds, you creeps.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what any goon pillmod pals have done.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Yes I guess it has been a couple months since we posted the pillmod quote.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yes, but I need a waterproof pillmod because I can't find the right gaskets for my margarita machine.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Drinkfist posted:

You fool. It was already a TRIPLE false flag operation. We were trying to attack our own Evil United States of America (EUSA) falsely to make it appear like we were hitting ourselves but we were going stop but then the SECRET GOOD NAZIS called our bluff and protested and TRICKED us into thinking it was a gun protest when in fact it was a FAKE WOODEN GUN PROTEST (FWGP). We could not convince the superminds with our coded psychic hive spray named WOLF BLITZER so we had to commit to the TRIPLE FALSE FLAG by not not not faking hitting ourselves we have in fact full force hit ourselves to complete the final trickery they will NEVER KNOW (NK).

Now get back to bird duty commander Max Incel and keep our secret Something Awful (SA) line of communication open for further nefarious plots in the future when we replace all the maple syrup in the country with MINDBREAKER TOXIN (MT).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

“Imogen” was probably a misspelling, but everyone goes with Shakespeare’s version so it counts.

I'm sure it's a Celtic name with deep roots, but I'm always involuntarily reminded of Baldur's Gate when I see it

e: Imoen is not a bad name honestly, could do a lot worse if you were the type to name your child after a video game character.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 14:22 on May 11, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Attakijing posted:

also i pirated titan quest and it wouldnt work on vista with hamachi, apparently. people that bought the game have the same problems. i wanted to play the game and my only pc gamin' friend refuses to buy any games at all so what the hell was i supposed to do? the expansion made the game dramatically better so it would only really work if i paid for my $40 copy and his $40 copy. The fact that this problem came from Vista really only reinforces that paranoid idea that vista is designed to kill pc gaming

If i had liked the game and they hadn't gone out of business, i would have given them some money or something, but it didn't work with piracy and a lot of pirates are so self-assured and adamant it really doesn't help anyone. stardock 4 lyfe

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

banned by a guy who harasses kids online

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"Boys will be boys!" I declare as I spread as much of my semen as possible onto the clothing of unsuspecting women.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Salt Fish posted:

Design challenge thread: yospos coat of arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

so good