Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

M_Gargantua posted:

My undergraduate advisor sat me down and asked me to join his research team since they're spinning up a group specifically for underwater research. Four year PhD program, paid tuition.

"Ahh and it comes with a nice paid stipend of $24,000 a year!"

My rent living here is $1300/mo, so I noped right out of that.

The trick is to think about it against a regular hourly wage job. Since academics basically never actually have time off because you have to read and write and pull your hair out in front of spreadsheets or walls of code even when you're in your lovely little apartment, it would really work out to like $6 or $7 hourly

Pretty good deal, if you think about it!

...no, not for you, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nick Soapdish posted:

I plan to apply for a Social Work PhD program in a couple years once I have my LCSW. My ultimate plan is since my husband is already a tenure-track academic that we both can be 9-month employees eventually and gently caress off during the summer just travel and do research

According to the grad students thread, this is a terrible plan unless you want to live together while working 9 hours apart. And even then its questionable.

US Berder Patrol posted:

The trick is to think about it against a regular hourly wage job. Since academics basically never actually have time off because you have to read and write and pull your hair out in front of spreadsheets or walls of code even when you're in your lovely little apartment, it would really work out to like $6 or $7 hourly

Pretty good deal, if you think about it!

...no, not for you, obviously

If you have a technical background, most industrial adjunct positions pay well. One of the guys in my program turned right around to work as an adjunct in the IME department fooling around teaching CnC and poo poo. Hes making 90k living the dream, 20 hour work week, all his work is farmed out to grad students, another 20 hours spent advising part time just because he works even less there then he does at the school.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 1, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be paid to get a PhD anyway.

Yeah, but I'm talking above and beyond. Rolexes and Teslas and private planes and the like.

"Hey, can you go get a PhD? You'll be a millionaire the second you graduate"

This is not a thing that will happen, which is why I am pretty sure I will never enter a PhD program.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, I'd be worried about immediately qualifying myself out of potential jobs.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vasudus posted:

I have my MS, my PMP, and my LSSBB. I'm done with collecting acronyms.

PMP worth it in non-construction/engineering fields? Guy that was on my team throughout the MBA course is an ad exec up in Birmingham and he's been wanting to get it since we took Project Management in the first semester.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

PMP worth it in non-construction/engineering fields? Guy that was on my team throughout the MBA course is an ad exec up in Birmingham and he's been wanting to get it since we took Project Management in the first semester.

So the PMP doesn't really teach you proper project management skills. It teaches you the PMI (Project Management Institute, the certifier) way of doing things, which is hilariously disconnected from reality. But the point of the PMP isn't really to teach you project management, it's to show everyone you have a PMP. It's a gatekeeper certification in a lot of industries, especially anything involving contracts or a situation where HR is the one writing a job requisition. I got mine specifically because almost every position above analyst in my field has it written into the contracts that you must have it.

It's the same with the LSSBB. I went and got it because an RFI had come out for a contract I really wanted. I was bid key in the response. The client determined they wanted to do a full RFP, and when that dropped the position I was bid for had the credentials changed to include LSSBB. I didn't have it, so I was taken out of the RFP for that position and a much weaker candidate that had it was put in. We didn't win the contract; and while there was more at play than just that credential swap it certainly didn't help. So I went and got it (from a place that doesn't have an expiration) so I'll never be in that situation again. I've had it for well over a year at this point and have yet to use a single goddamn thing about it.

If you can get someone else to shell out the ~5k (each) for the certifications, I would say gently caress it, why not. But I absolutely would not pay for it myself.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Cool; I doubt his employer would pay but there's always the chance.

(I was silent about the Six Sigma poo poo because I thought it'd be rude to make fun of you for it, and now I feel better.)

All that reminds me of our shipyard going ISO 9000 because oh my god they had to have it it'll change the game we need it now now now and then everyone busted their rear end and they got the cert and then it didn't get them a single extra dime in business

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Finals week for me but it’s not to bad since most of the tests are open to be taken at any point during an assigned day and chem opened this morning until Friday afternoon. Only one synchronous test but it’s not too bad and he greatly improved his notes after a failed experiment on the second test in Human Aging. Finishing this semester is great because I’ll be a senior and pretty much have all of my major requirements done and that’s before summer I semester where I can start on my second minor. The only downside is the insane looming sense of having to actually prepare for the real world is coming up but at least I will have a bachelors degree and disabled veterans preference for what that’s worth. Worst case scenario I still have my CRT which has been getting me crazy job offers in New York right now but yeah...

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I never even knew what PMP was until my last job where I was working in and around IT. There, it was the Mendoza Line between the cool kids and not. I think I've seen maybe one or two random people on LinkedIn in my industry that have it, and I think they both worked for Top 5 AEC firms. I know of only one company that advertises they are ISO-9000 compliant, and I don't know if its gotten them more business with the state, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tilted a ranking or two in their favor.

Project Management in civil engineering is basically just time-in-rank. You stick around for 20 years and *voila* there you are. Or else, you split off and start your own company once you hit the ceiling.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My finals week for some reason began on Friday and included finals on Saturday so I'm already halfway through my week on Sunday because life is hell and nothing makes sense anymore

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I have a computing ethics class that has two assignments at the end that are worth well over 60% of the grade. Rather than extending deadlines out like everyone else, the professor decided to continue holding the presentation assignment on specific due dates for all of us (about 4 people to "present" every day) which was a necessity of the assignment in person. This somehow still made sense to him even though everyone was just posting them on our discussion board and they were open to reply to whenever we wanted.

So naturally I didn't see the .pdf of the new dates uploaded, and instead went off what the online calendar said for all my classes which had a presentation due-date a week after my actual presentation was due. I submitted it 5 days late, emailed the professor, received nothing back, and then did the final persuasive paper and submitted it, and still have no grades back. Sitting at an A or an E for an easy major requirement class, who knows!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

tim cook gave kind of a nothing speech and quoted lincoln in front of a bunch of relevant props in his office for graduation today, he made sure to wear his fancy watch and stroke off the ghost of steve jobs a bit

president drake followed and read a two line poem and gave some original thoughtful words, killing, skinning, and eating the bullshit from tim by actually moving me to emotion

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Hot dang I get to go straight from finals week to Maymester.

Here comes an entire physical anthropology course in 3 hours toot toot

Are there any other DLI grads here that get immediate anxiety flashbacks any time an instructor says phrases like "drinking from a fire hose"?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Phys. Anthro is pretty mellow, you don't get in to any of the crazy stuff until upper division biological anthro. That gets out of control fast.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'm also enrolled in a 4000 level evolutionary phys anthro class later this summer. I was hoping to take the phys anthro elective about dogs instead but it wasn't an option. Maybe this fall. Trying to save as much elective space for cultural anthro classes as possible though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
DLI grad, but none of my professors have said anything like that (yet). Frankly, the dli experience has maybe made me a little too casual about classwork I don’t have to spend eight hours a day on.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I passed chemistry and am officially a senior. Took a good sized dose and chilled hella hard last night and plan on either drinking or dosing again and watching the first UFC fight since sports got suspended.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I am definitely a better student thanks to DLI, but when a professor uses the fire hose analogy, i just smile. Nothing will ever suck as much as getting kicked in the balls all day, every day, for 63 weeks.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

It's about goddamn time :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Noice

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Congrats!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Well done!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Grats!

Nice of them to spring for the postage and confetti.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Nice of them to spring for the postage and confetti.

I payed for the postage, they took our commencement fee and used it to make the boxes.

Still glad to have it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

congrats!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Nice dude. Congratulations.

Maybe I should get around to ordering my diploma at some point :blush:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I stopped complaining about the graduation fee I had to pay when I filed my graduation application after they gave my my diploma at commencement.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

I stopped complaining about the graduation fee I had to pay when I filed my graduation application after they gave my my diploma at commencement.

This is probably going to decide if I walk for commencement. I skipped the one for undergrad because I started work the following Monday, took like a month to get it in the mail.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BigDave posted:

It's about goddamn time :colbert:

Congratulations man, that's huge

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
Have anyone else's schools changed when they submit enrollment paperwork to the VA? I used to get it submitted after the first week of class since the end of the week was the drop/add period. Lately my school has been holding onto enrollments till halfway through the semester (four weeks in my case). I wouldn't mind but there's already a delay of about 10 days from one semester to the next it's like I'm only getting one full check of BAH for two months.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless they are screwing up and not reporting when classes start and end, you should get the full amount of money regardless of how long it takes for them to actually submit your enrollment.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
I mean they already set it up to pay in arrears so the hold period seems unnecessary to me, and right I eventually get everything owed to me (I think). It just seems arbitrary to wait as the school is paid with the same form is there any advantage on their end to waiting? The only thing I can think of is they want to make sure people don't just stop attending so they don't have to follow up with the VA? Not sure how many people drop classes after the first week but maybe that's it.

edit: Just took a look at my eBenefits compensation page it looks like accounting for the break between classes causes 2 smaller payments to be sent out instead of a full check which makes sense. I get where they're coming from since your only paid for the time your actively attending school. I'm a loving moron. Carry on.

xdirtypinkox fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 24, 2020

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

xdirtypinkox posted:

Have anyone else's schools changed when they submit enrollment paperwork to the VA? I used to get it submitted after the first week of class since the end of the week was the drop/add period. Lately my school has been holding onto enrollments till halfway through the semester (four weeks in my case). I wouldn't mind but there's already a delay of about 10 days from one semester to the next it's like I'm only getting one full check of BAH for two months.

My school submits the initial semester certification when I register for classes, but I attend a large(ish) university, satellite campus with not too many people and our VA cert is very good. Another certification is sent after the drop/add period to confirm that you are still taking classes. It shouldn't matter to students because you get BAH based on dates on the certification and not when it was submitted.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Looking toward the future when I try to run out my remaining 7 months of post-9/11 benefits, I don't know if it was a fevered dream or wishful thinking but did they change how going half-time only reduces time by half-time instead of treating everything as deducting as full-time

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

Looking toward the future when I try to run out my remaining 7 months of post-9/11 benefits, I don't know if it was a fevered dream or wishful thinking but did they change how going half-time only reduces time by half-time instead of treating everything as deducting as full-time

Yeah, they provide proportional benefits and charge proportional time for half time now iirc.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yes but keep in mind to receive BAH you must be at 51% or higher of enrollment status so you should aim for at least one credit hour over half-time.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah, they provide proportional benefits and charge proportional time for half time now iirc.

Cyks posted:

Yes but keep in mind to receive BAH you must be at 51% or higher of enrollment status so you should aim for at least one credit hour over half-time.

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't have any immediate plans to launch into something else having just finished my MSW but always like to know what options are available

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

two weeks out from doing gen chem 1 and calc 1 in six weeks total. should be fun. at least i can't go outside anwyay

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

two weeks out from doing gen chem 1 and calc 1 in six weeks total. should be fun. at least i can't go outside anwyay

wow gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

In theory intro chem should have me pretty good to go for gen 1. Calc I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my rear end kicked