Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

We could try raising taxes on the ultra wealthy to pay for a halfway competent social safety net.

I'll see myself out.

I know I said I would stop, but yeah we really should try that. Probably should have been trying that for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well didn't Michael Bay hold auditions where he made teen girls wash his car while he sprayed them with water or something?

Megan Fox said for her audition for Transformers, Michael Bay made her wash his car.

It was also reported that he walked out of the Friday the 13th remake (which he produced) because there was too much sex/nudity in it.

Dude has issues.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Davros1 posted:

Megan Fox said for her audition for Transformers, Michael Bay made her wash his car.

It was also reported that he walked out of the Friday the 13th remake (which he produced) because there was too much sex/nudity in it.

Dude has issues.

oh my god Michael bay should direct the barbie movie, it would be perfect for him. a woman with highly unrealistic proportions and absolutely no genitals of any kind

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Maybe he just wants to gently caress a car

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe he just wants to gently caress a car

I wonder what he thought about that scene in The Counsellllllllor where Cameron Diaz fucks a car.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Davros1 posted:

Dude has issues.

Her character in that film is named Mikaela Banes.

Michael Bay's issues have issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Depp's case iirc did include shitloads of wine, and there's basically no price ceiling for that.

Pretty sure in general if you want to spend your money on dumb poo poo there's no amount of money that'll exhaust your options.

I think it actually comes up in Brewster's Millions, where one of the efficient ways to spend money is to buy expensive wine and drink it, which still follows the rules of the challenge since it's using a product for its intended purpose.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 9, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of stories about Depp and his moneybproblens is that he bought a ton of very rare wine that every other wine collector just wants to own for bragging rights, they'd never actually drink it.

And Depp cracks that poo poo open and downs a bottle a day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rhyno posted:

One of stories about Depp and his moneybproblens is that he bought a ton of very rare wine that every other wine collector just wants to own for bragging rights, they'd never actually drink it.

And Depp cracks that poo poo open and downs a bottle a day.

Honestly that owns.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I bet that wine tastes like poo poo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it does no one that can afford it will ever admit to it, the wine he buys is Domaine de la Romanee-Conti and averages about $13K a bottle if you're buying by the case. You can pay around three times that for a stand out bottle depending on the year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly that owns.

Absolutely. Seems to drive his accountant nuts though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also he paid for Hunter S Thompson's awesomely ridiculous funeral, but again, that owns.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I bet that wine tastes like poo poo

Or more likely, fake.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also he paid for Hunter S Thompson's awesomely ridiculous funeral, but again, that owns.

Oh god, can you imagine Hunter Thompson having to deal with Trump being president?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Skwirl posted:

Oh god, can you imagine Hunter Thompson having to deal with Trump being president?

he'd blend into 2A 3%er crowds

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

he'd blend into 2A 3%er crowds
he liked guns, but he'd catch on to how loving racist those assholes are almost immediately. Also, when he ran for sheriff a major part of his platform was taking guns away from beat cops, there's no way he'd put up with self appointed border patrol agents and poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the closest to a moral failing in Nick Cage's spending would be if it hurt his children, but worst case scenario they should still be able to sell most of his ridiculous stuff when he's gone and be able to live a comfortable, if not as luxurious, life. I've said it before but pro athletes and artists (actors, writers, directors, etc.) are the only category of rich people who come close to actually earning their extravagant amounts of money.

Having an extravagant amount of money is grotesque, not matter what you do for a living.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Having an extravagant amount of money is grotesque, not matter what you do for a living.

This isn't the thread for it, but look at what Lebron James is worth and look at what the owner of the Lakers is worth and think about who contributes more to basketball.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

This isn't the thread for it, but look at what Lebron James is worth and look at what the owner of the Lakers is worth and think about who contributes more to basketball.

Alhazred posted:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Gotta go with Alhazred here and note how loving disgusting it is to live in a world where pro athletes make obscene amounts of money while nurses and teachers live paycheck to paycheck

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly that owns.

Really? I find it morally reprehensible.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Not bad compared to what normally gets covered in this thread

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kaworu posted:

Gotta go with Alhazred here and note how loving disgusting it is to live in a world where pro athletes make obscene amounts of money while nurses and teachers live paycheck to paycheck

One has almost nothing to do with the other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lebron spends more than half his money on schools.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skwirl posted:

Her character in that film is named Mikaela Banes.

Michael Bay's issues have issues.

Look, he just wants Bumblebee to gently caress him while he's wearing cut-off jean shorts, who hasn't wanted that at some point in their life?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King Vidiot posted:

Look, he just wants Bumblebee to gently caress him while he's wearing cut-off jean shorts, who hasn't wanted that at some point in their life?

Well maybe now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Lebron spends more than half his money on schools.

And he still has an obscenely large fortune.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah but he is making a hell of a difference for poor kids. Like I get attacking athletes in general but to single out the one with the best track record for charity is weird.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but he is making a hell of a difference for poor kids. Like I get attacking athletes in general but to single out the one with the best track record for charity is weird.
After a bit of googling I couldn't find anything that indicates that he spends half his money on schools. The biggest donation I could find was forty millions which sounds much until I found out that he earns ninety millions a year.

And at best he's making a difference for some poor kids. In a functioning society everyone should get access to education, not just the few that the rich deem worthy enough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

After a bit of googling I couldn't find anything that indicates that he spends half his money on schools. The biggest donation I could find was forty millions which sounds much until I found out that he earns ninety millions a year.

And at best he's making a difference for some poor kids. In a functioning society everyone should get access to education, not just the few that the rich deem worthy enough.

Any kid with a 3.0 in Akron high school gets free college if I understand the program correctly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is his main charitable focus

https://www.lebronjamesfamilyfoundation.org/

And that's not even half of it. Again, odd to focus on a guy who's known for his charity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

And that's not even half of it. Again, odd to focus on a guy who's known for his charity.

I am not the one who brought him up. And giving away a small bit of your fortune to charity does not make your fortune any less grotesque.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

honestly the simple fact that he's actually drinking the wine makes it so, so much less reprehensible than what turbo-rich people generally do with expensive wine (leave it in the cellar for bragging rights until it turns into vinegar)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

This is his main charitable focus

https://www.lebronjamesfamilyfoundation.org/

Essentially at the Lebron James/Michael Jordan level you attain an infinite money/credit line, since your basketball playing contract is probably 5% of your lifetime income. Like he's made 300 million playing basketball so far in his entire career and his Nike contract alone is rumored to be worth a billion. His Sprite deal is probably something like that, he owns nineteeen pizza joints (which may actually be a bad use of his money), and he's about to get what I can only imagine is a real good deal for Space Jam 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's also one of the greatest living athletes capable of physical feats no one else on earth is and worth a fraction of what any random owner of a sports team is, and most of those fuckers actively make the world a worse place.

Kill the rich and everything, but the list of people who should be in front of Lebron James in the line for the guillotine is miles long.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly the simple fact that he's actually drinking the wine makes it so, so much less reprehensible than what turbo-rich people generally do with expensive wine (leave it in the cellar for bragging rights until it turns into vinegar)

I can get where you're coming from and this definitely makes Depp a little more likable, but it's still the equivalent of someone buying a sharkskin footstool for 3k and actually putting their feet on it whenever he visits the one place of his dozen places where it's at.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

I can get where you're coming from and this definitely makes Depp a little more likable, but it's still the equivalent of someone buying a sharkskin footstool for 3k and actually putting their feet on it whenever he visits the one place of his dozen places where it's at.

honestly i think the heart of it is that people like Johnny Depp and Nic Cage come off more like, say, Ray Smuckles from Achewood than anything else; they're people who bumblefucked into minor wealth and by all appearances are just using that wealth to try and live their best lives. and i can't really get mad at that when there's so many people using much larger piles of money to cause actual meaningful harm to society.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

What morally reprehensible about drinking the rich people's fake wine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The most hosed up part is that, in the grand scheme of thing, a dude like Nicolas Cage isn't even close to rich. 150 million dollars is chump change compared to what the 1% makes who are out there hoarding even more wealth than entire countries make in a year.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

they're people who bumblefucked into minor wealth
Yeah, no. They are rich beyond normal measure. The fact that other people are even more absurdly rich does not make their wealth minor.
1% is 10 Million
0.1% is 40 Million
0.01% is 110 Million
Yeah, there's a minuscule class of (a few thousand) people whose net worth is in the billions and dwarfs even them, but lets not go so far as to say their wealth is minor.