Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My Briefcase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

jesus WEP posted:

My Briefcase

I never did figure out what that was for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my briefcase (rip)
my network places (rip)
my computer

why was there no my recycle bin?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

if i was as rich as him i’d probably walk around the city and if I saw a hot chick i’d offer her a million in cash to have some sex. is that sleazy? idk if i was as rich as him i’d have no idea about right and wrong

as a poor gently caress tho like I am I would never offer a random woman a million for sex, it’s wrong and below me

lol I read this and thought "sounds like an echopenis post" and whatta you know

you need to think less about sex my brother

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

cybrancyborg posted:

Early days of implementing offline sync.

Its heart was in the right place. The idea is you'd have your laptop at a local office network and collect your files for offline use to work offsite if I remember right.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

As a young teen just clicking on stuff to see what happens, I seem to remember it just presented as a folder on the desktop in Win95, and I couldn't figure out why there was a folder there with it's own special name & icon, lol.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

I do remember that MS Bob, that you could sort a decorate your virtual house that acted as an elaborate, visually cluttered app launcher. That was a neat way to waste like 2 hours.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cybrancyborg posted:

I think the idea was that it’d auto-sync between your desktop and laptop any time they were on the same network or had a LapLink cable connection or something, without using the shared volume or directory UI

also: LapLink

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

cybrancyborg posted:

I do remember that MS Bob, that you could sort a decorate your virtual house that acted as an elaborate, visually cluttered app launcher. That was a neat way to waste like 2 hours.

Like hell there aren't a million ways to still do that

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

rotor posted:

oof, that's that mid-nineties UI i was lookin for

:swoon:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cybrancyborg posted:

that makes me think of packard bell navigator

it was pretty cool at the time imo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

My dad always pronounced Packard (in Hewlett-Packard mostly as Packard-Bells were only around much later) Paskard and that was funny because paska means "poo poo".

...which made the ADP classes at school really great because back then it was still all Pascal and paskal means "doing a poo poo".

Well that was my Packard story thanks for reading god bless you and god bless the United States of America.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

eschaton posted:

I think the idea was that it’d auto-sync between your desktop and laptop any time they were on the same network or had a LapLink cable connection or something, without using the shared volume or directory UI

also: LapLink

IIRC it was used with a travelling floppy, so you'd put in the special floppy and it would sync, then you get home and the files get semi-automatically transferred.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

:wrong:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My dad always pronounced Packard (in Hewlett-Packard mostly as Packard-Bells were only around much later) Paskard and that was funny because paska means "poo poo".

...which made the ADP classes at school really great because back then it was still all Pascal and paskal means "doing a poo poo".

Well that was my Packard story thanks for reading god bless you and god bless the United States of America.

haha :patriot:

im not saying it wasnt poo poo. i was a naive child back then but it felt like an intro to playing the game of myst that came along later

bad news but ive given obama and his haarp machine your coordinates. appreciate the next 4 hours to the best extent u can.

:911:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never did beat Myst. Is there a good ending? (No spoilers PLEASE)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No longer having to play Myst counts as a good ending imo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

yeah. it is still well worth playing as well, with the caveat that one should stand very prepared to cheat a bit on the more contrived puzzles (just bookmark this http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/myst.php ).

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the reremaster on steam with full 3d and free motion is nice too, sticks to the old puzzles, and has a little epilogue that ties into later games as an easter egg

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

myst, and the stoneship age in particular, were basically background music to my computer usage in the 90s and nicely relaxing

that reminded me of a funny tech thing: i didnt realize id gotten into a very early phase of testing for uru (myst online) because they had sent the acceptance email in-character and it looked like academic spam. it probably was super clever, arg style too, and fun for fans really tied into the development but it missed me entirely because i was too busy to follow them at the time

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

longview posted:

IIRC it was used with a travelling floppy, so you'd put in the special floppy and it would sync, then you get home and the files get semi-automatically transferred.
i grew up with navigator on our lovely little pentium machine and never knew about this

i mostly just used it to get to 3d dinosaur adventure

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i grew up with navigator on our lovely little pentium machine and never knew about this

i mostly just used it to get to 3d dinosaur adventure

I saw a coelophysis once

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Killing Jelq posted:

I saw a coelophysis once

yeah he posts pretty often, has a Jesus avatar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Flashlight apps

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

longview posted:

Gosh, reminds me of the briefcase functionality in Windows.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greg the peanut posted:

Flashlight apps

it’s not funny we needed an app for this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it took Apple way too long to make it a part of iOS

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it took Apple way too long to make it a part of iOS

its been there since the 5, at least. Not the 5S, not the SE, just the regular 5.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
that flashlight app that enabled illicit tethering

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

greg the peanut posted:

Flashlight apps

i misread this

still thought "heh yeah those"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

crazysim posted:

Gosh, reminds me of the briefcase functionality in Windows.
what do you think he’s talking about

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

if i was as rich as him i’d probably walk around the city and if I saw a hot chick i’d offer her a million in cash to have some sex. is that sleazy? idk if i was as rich as him i’d have no idea about right and wrong

as a poor gently caress tho like I am I would never offer a random woman a million for sex, it’s wrong and below me

thx met (but did not surpass) all expectations

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can't alwasys exced

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Citrix

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VNC

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

NoMachine NX

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted: