Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think it's good that Adele got hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Adele lost weight and she looks SMOKIN now

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
She gotta purdy voice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
SA is a bitterly misogynistic forum and it will never acknowledge much less come to grips with that

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Chicks are cool and all, but have you seen super muscly flexing dudes?

:vince:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

SA is a bitterly misogynistic forum and it will never acknowledge much less come to grips with that

Pick, I've gone to bat for you a lot. But sleep this off.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rolo posted:

The only thing I really disliked about 9 was reintroducing the main antagonist of the entire series using the intro text.

I love how the plot-inciting incident given a passing mention in the opening text actually occurred as part of a Fortnite tie in

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Adele lost weight and she looks SMOKIN now

Good for her! Losing weight is hard as gently caress. I'm assuming fat people everywhere are livid mad about this?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whatever she did it worked. That's some serious weight loss. At risk of sounding gossipy I wonder if it was some bariatric surgery. No disrespect if it was. I've had loved ones do it and it's a hard road.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Rogue one is the absolute best Star Wars rewind because they introduced a lot of new characters who promptly died. Revolution doesn’t come about with Heroes

I thought RO was boring dreck and it made me reconsider my opinion of a friend who said it was as good as ESB, but your train of thought was a lot of why I really liked The Last Jedi (the personal cost of heroism usually isn't pretty; sometimes you're going to be on the side of fairness and justice, you'll sacrifice everything, and you'll still lose; don't be so blinded by the idea of your hero that you can't see their humanity/fallibility).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

13Pandora13 posted:

I thought RO was boring dreck and it made me reconsider my opinion of a friend who said it was as good as ESB, but your train of thought was a lot of why I really liked The Last Jedi (the personal cost of heroism usually isn't pretty; sometimes you're going to be on the side of fairness and justice, you'll sacrifice everything, and you'll still lose; don't be so blinded by the idea of your hero that you can't see their humanity/fallibility).

Good as ESB? Ridiculous. As good as The Last Jedi? Sure. Both are a part of the latter day SW movies that all fail on multiple levels.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Good as ESB? Ridiculous. As good as The Last Jedi? Sure. Both are a part of the latter day SW movies that all fail on multiple levels.

It’s 40 years this month since The Empire Strikes Back was released, and for most of that time the second film in the Star Wars series has been enshrined as the best: the darkest, the most complex, the most mature. Directed by Irvin Kershner, it’s the Star Wars episode with the highest score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes (94%) and from viewers on Imdb (8.7), and the one that is said to elevate the saga as a whole. “It is because of the emotions stirred in Empire,” wrote Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times when the film was re-released in 1997, “that the entire series takes on a mythic quality that resonates back to the first and ahead to the third. This is the heart.”

I wish I could agree. This might come across as a contrarian hot take, but it seems obvious to me that the best film in the Star Wars series is, in fact, Star Wars. (I know we’re supposed to call it ‘A New Hope’ these days, but it was called Star Wars when it came out in 1977, so that’s good enough for me.) What’s more, it seems obvious that The Empire Strikes Back is the source of all the franchise’s problems. Whatever issues we geeks grumble about when we’re discussing the numerous prequels and sequels, they can all be traced back to 1980.

I should add, before too many people attempt a Darth Vader-style Force choke through the internet, that I wouldn’t be saying this if I wasn’t in awe of what George Lucas accomplished as the writer, director and producer of the original Star Wars. That swashbuckling adventure! Those iconic characters! That lived-in world with its wealth of history, mythology, politics and technology! I’m not completely happy with Alec Guinness’s toupee, but otherwise Lucas’s masterpiece gets more astonishing with every re-watch.

Then came The Empire Strikes Back – a gloomier film, admittedly, but also a slower, stodgier, more contrived, convoluted and repetitive one. Again, I’m not being perverse here. In 1980, several critics were underwhelmed, including Vincent Canby of the New York Times, who stated that the sequel wasn’t “as fresh and funny and surprising and witty” as Star Wars. It was, he believed, “a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation”.

I wouldn’t go that far, but let’s be sensible about this. The production design is clearly not on the same level as Star Wars. The Rebel base on the ice planet looks roughly what you’d expect a Rebel base on an ice planet to look like; the plain white plastic corridors of Cloud City could have been salvaged from the studio bins after a Star Trek film had wrapped. These shortcomings are disguised by Peter Suschitzky’s atmospheric cinematography. (A master of shadows, reflections and deep colour, he would go on to be David Cronenberg’s regular director of photography.) But not even Suschitzky’s spine-tingling work could improve the derivative story.

Key events in Star Wars include Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) being knocked unconscious by a wilderness alien; Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) being captured by Darth Vader (Dave Prowse’s body paired with James Earl Jones’s voice); Luke learning about the Force from a Jedi master in a remote cave; a lightsaber duel that ends badly for the good guys; a ‘scoundrel’ abandoning the Rebels before having a change of heart; and a protracted battle between the ranks of the Rebel Alliance and the heavily armed Empire. Switch around the order of those events, and you’ve got The Empire Strikes Back. And while the screenwriters, Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett, did a clever job of revising and reshuffling our favourite scenes, that hardly compares to Lucas’s achievement of dreaming up those scenes in the first place.

But here’s where things get tricky. My grievance with The Empire Strikes Back isn’t that it sticks to the winning formula established by Star Wars: that’s what most sequels do, after all. My grievance is that it also betrays Star Wars, trashing so much of the good work that was done three years earlier. My un-Jedi-like anger bubbles up even before the first scene – at the beginning of the ‘opening crawl’ of introductory text, to be precise. “It is a dark time for the Rebellion,” says this prose preamble. “Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.”

Haaaaang on a minute. “Although the Death Star has been destroyed”? “Although”? The sole aim of the heroes and heroines in Star Wars was to destroy the Death Star, a humungous planet-pulverising spaceship of crucial strategic importance to the Empire. One of their big cheeses announced that “fear of this battle station” would keep every dissenter in line. Another hailed it as “the ultimate power in the universe”. But now the Rebels’ demolishing of the ultimate power in the universe is waved aside with an “although”? That, frankly, is not on. And it’s just the first of many instances when The Empire Strikes Back asks us to pretend that Star Wars didn’t happen.

Remember that scene in Star Wars when an Imperial admiral mocked Darth Vader for his “sad devotion to that ancient [Jedi] religion”? Forget it – because in The Empire Strikes Back we’re told that the Emperor himself is devoted to the same religion. And what about Obi-Wan Kenobi? Remember how he started training Luke to be a Jedi knight partly because his previous pupil, Darth Vader, turned to the Dark Side of the Force? Narrative logic demands that the ghostly Obi-Wan should keep on training Luke in The Empire Strikes Back, and send his new apprentice into combat against his old one. Forget it. The poor chap is cold-shouldered so that Yoda can train Luke instead.

Watching Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back one after the other is like watching a hijacking: you’re seeing a juggernaut being held up and driven in another direction. You can sense that Lucas and his team aren’t focusing on the current film any more – they’re setting up the third part in what would now be a trilogy – and they are no longer interested in wars in the stars. Despite its title, The Empire Strikes Back is rarely about the Alliance v the Empire, it’s about who is related to whom and who is in love with whom (the two sometimes overlap). It twists the saga from the political to the personal, from space opera to soap opera. Is it possible to say whether the Empire is better or worse off at the end of the film, after all that supposed striking back? Not really. None of that matters, apparently, compared to the booming declaration: “I am your father!”

If The Empire Strikes Back had been a one-off, I could have forgiven it by now. But what about all the many films that have used it as a model – all the films that have tarnished Star Wars by contradicting its mythos and obsessing over its family trees? All the tiresome dramatic revelations which have tried and failed to be as mind-blowing as the one about Luke’s lineage? I was annoyed when Qui-Gon Jinn was shoehorned into Obi Wan’s past in The Phantom Menace, annoyed when Rey became Palpatine’s granddaughter (or something) in The Rise of Skywalker, annoyed when the emergence of the all-conquering First Order in The Force Awakens reduced everything done by Luke, Leia and Han Solo to a footnote. But I accept that the writers and directors of those films were only following The Empire Strikes Back’s bad example.

It’s not just Star Wars films that have made the exasperating mistake of prioritising franchise-building over simply making a good film, either.. Think of all those films and TV shows that assume we’ll jump for joy when the villain is revealed to be Sherlock Holmes’ sister or James Bond’s childhood pal. Think of all those superhero blockbusters that waste time teeing up the next instalment in the series. I’m sorry, but The Empire Strikes Back has to take the blame for all of them. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Taking out the Death Star is like destroying the WTC, or the Eiffel Tower. Nice little symbolic victory, but it's not gonna win a war. The Empire spans the whole galaxy, how could destroying any one thing be the end of it?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pick posted:

I’m not bitter

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

Historically this was probably true.

Now I’d say that this forum is heavily comprised of posters who are constantly trying to demonstrate to others how virtuous and egalitarian they are, uh oldpainless excepted.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:58 on May 9, 2020

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

He's pretty great, yeah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Free oldpainless!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

silence_kit posted:

Historically this was probably true.

Now I’d say that this forum is heavily comprised of posters who are constantly trying to demonstrate to others how virtuous and egalitarian they are, uh oldpainless excepted.

It's absolutely still true now, although I accept it's probably improved overall, and compared to other sites (e.g. Reddit) it's much better.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Man, I loving love divination.
Rune stones, Tarot cards, Ouija...
It's fun as hell!
Astrology, alectormancy, crystal balls, pools of clear water.
It ain't fortune-telling, it's divination muthafucka!
Tea leaves, meditation, and bones.
Try it out, what's the harm in the attempt?

My sister asked me to make a set of rune stones for her, so tonight I'm gonna wander by the river and collect the stones.
I haven't decided if I'm going to paint or carve the runes, but I will keep this thread updated WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm excited to see the rune stones

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about people who are into diviniation stuff purely as a cute game and way to practice cold reading. It's when they act like it's real that's the problem. Myers-Briggs is even worse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tarot is significantly more respectable and infinitely less harmful than the Myers-Briggs test

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I painted, because it was a lot of work just finding the stones.
lol not really, they almost jumped out at me.

I'd ask any of you if you'd like a reading, but they are my sister's stones and I am not ethically able to do such a thing you know?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Tarot is significantly more respectable and infinitely less harmful than the Myers-Briggs test
Tarot is legitimately fun and I enjoy doing it sometimes.

Myers-Briggs is something I have actively had to fight in emotional support communities because everyone gets too distracted and half the people have serious trouble accepting that it's a glorified Cosmo quiz from the 40s.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mind the walrus posted:

Tarot is legitimately fun and I enjoy doing it sometimes.

Truth. The best part is when you get disturbingly close to divining a person's situation without knowing a thing about them. I had a couple of those hit when I first learned to do a basic Celtic Cross, and it made me take a step back wondering what the hell I'd gotten into. :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I painted, because it was a lot of work just finding the stones.
lol not really, they almost jumped out at me.

I'd ask any of you if you'd like a reading, but they are my sister's stones and I am not ethically able to do such a thing you know?

nice stones

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Celebrating or even acknowledging any birthday that doesn't end in a 0 should be exclusively for children. If you want to throw a party, just do it. Any time. Kids need some kind of excuse because otherwise they'd want parties every day so you tell them that there has to be a special occasion, but as adults we should have moved past that.

But really I just don't want to have to do anything for my birthday - because it's my friend's birthday the week before and he always has a party and my sister's is the week after and she does as well and mothers' day is in between and I just want some time off. But my mother doesn't seem to understand this on a conceptual level and will insist that we at least do a family dinner or something and I just want to be in my house by myself with nothing to do. Even this year apparently we're doing a videochat - unless they announce lighter restrictions tomorrow in which case I guess we're going to my sister's place for dinner and that was all decided without my input or knowledge.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum: birthdays for adults don't matter. We're adults, we can have a party whenever we want

Tiggum's family: OK, in that case we're having a party on your birthday

Tiggum: noo it's my birthday, I should get to decide what happens on my special day!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

Tiggum: birthdays for adults don't matter. We're adults, we can have a party whenever we want

Tiggum's family: OK, in that case we're having a party on your birthday

Tiggum: noo it's my birthday, I should get to decide what happens on my special day!

It's the birthday aspect that makes it unavoidable though. Any other time if I said "I'm too busy that week" they'd either reschedule or go ahead without me - either of which would be fine. But because it's specifically for my birthday I'm the one person who's not allowed to skip it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Simply cut off all contact with your family

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Those Stones look cool as hell and it reminds me of how disappointed I am that every time I see someone with runic tattoos you should assume they are a white supremacist. :(

They didn't used to but the bad guys took it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Drinking games are stupid. Don’t come up to me while drinking and suggest we add rules to it. Let’s just do something while drinking or stop drinking if you’re not having fun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sounds like someone sucks at drinking games

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The purpose of drinking games is to get people drunk. Most commonly used to get people more drunk, and quicker, than would be normal. I'll get really drunk without a game but if someone else needs the motivation, ok.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

Drinking games are stupid. Don’t come up to me while drinking and suggest we add rules to it. Let’s just do something while drinking or stop drinking if you’re not having fun.

I've done drinking games in the past but I always lost on purpose.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

loopin louie is the best drinking game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This looks like a better drinking game

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

mind the walrus posted:

This looks like a better drinking game

Why is there a green penis coming out of his head?
*turns monitor on*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good for her! Losing weight is hard as gently caress. I'm assuming fat people everywhere are livid mad about this?

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

If everywhere is American Internet then maybe IDK?