Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
"This similar but totally different thing happened, therefore"

Look guys I'm not debating that batteries explode but lots of people have apple watches, if you can't find one singular source, then you should be more scared about getting run over by a car in the middle of the desert or something, it's immaterial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:lmao:

Yeah, you got us. We were just trolling.

Give it to your friend and tell him he has to wear it every single day. It will be fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He's just being a dick because got called called out as a moron.

A swollen lithium ion battery is dangerous. Full stop. Giving your friend that watch is a bad, dangerous mistake. End of story. If no amount of logic will convince you of that then I feel sorry for whoever you give that watch to.

edit: And I haven't even addressed the "I put Gorilla Glue on my watch and now it's doing weird poo poo."

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Like it might not explode in a crazy matter but it's going to loving ignite and burn the living poo poo out of your friends arm.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

you are literally defending an opinion with not one singular piece of evidence, but by all means call me a puppet master for asking for literally any proof whatsoever (and guess what different devices exploding is not evidence).

Apple has shipped 6 million apple watches, find me one dude.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I literally don't care what you guys call me I just don't get how your opinions are being supported whatsoever, 6 million apple watches and zero, loving ZERO injuries, tell me more about your really strong opinion

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Taima posted:

you are literally defending an opinion with not one singular piece of evidence, but by all means call me a puppet master for asking for literally any proof whatsoever (and guess what different devices exploding is not evidence).

Apple has shipped 6 million apple watches, find me one dude.

You're a gigantic loving idiot and a bad friend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

But he said he was totally not mad.

We tried to tell him about the danger of swelling lithium batteries IN GENERAL. But because we won't present him with single *official* case of a fire/explosion happening specifically to watch, it just doesn't happen then.

I mean, at the end of the day I give zero shits if he or his friend get seriously injured or die.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

You're a gigantic loving idiot and a bad friend.

I am 100% ready to accept this when you provide any, literally any evidence of an apple watch injuring someone, like oh man is that a low bar

Proteus Jones posted:

But he said he was totally not mad.

Why would I be mad? I support my friends because I make a decent wage and give them anything I can. My trash is often my friend's treasures.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Here you go shithead

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/05/swollen-battery-iphone-mac-apple-watch/

quote:

A swollen battery can present a fire safety risk, so it’s important to take caution with any device that has an expanded battery. It’s also important to note that swollen batteries can’t be fixed or healed, just recycled and replaced.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/26/swollen-batteries/

Apple doesn't even loving allow swapping of swollen batteries in store because of the fire risk.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I literally took it to an apple store (to get it fixed, which they wouldn't because it's out of warranty) and they said go ahead and use it. Didn't hear a word about danger, and there's also literally not one case of 6 million apple watches causing one single injury, ever, once.

Anyways sorry it really wasn't my intention to cause a scene you guys are just ridiculous. Have a great weekend. Truly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Go ahead and give it to your friend, I hope they sue you for you your "decent wage" when they have to go to the emergency room with 3rd degree burns on their wrist.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fine dude you totally won. Please stop.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

People really just don't understand how goddamn terrible lithium ion battery failure can be. It's unreal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

People really just don't understand how goddamn terrible lithium ion battery failure can be. It's unreal.

I used to do AASP stuff and repairs for other OEMs. The procedures for handling, installing, returning batteries, swollen or not) is crazy because of the risk.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol good series of posts

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’m late, but I’ll throw out my anecdote of trying to do the pandora battery trick to jailbreak a PSP and I totally punctured the battery and had to throw it out in the middle of the street while it burned.

That’s li-po, but still, Jesus loving Christ don’t mess with bad lithium ion batteries, goon.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

I’m late, but I’ll throw out my anecdote of trying to do the pandora battery trick to jailbreak a PSP and I totally punctured the battery and had to throw it out in the middle of the street while it burned.

That’s li-po, but still, Jesus loving Christ don’t mess with bad lithium ion batteries, goon.

That's not an Apple Watch and so provides no information about what to expect from a bulging Apple Watch battery

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sourdough posted:

That's not an Apple Watch and so provides no information about what to expect from a bulging Apple Watch battery

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of the flesh cooking on my wrist and oh god i'm starting to lose consciousness from these fumes..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he meant he glued it after he replaced the failing battery but no he just tried to keep the pressure in lmao

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought he meant he glued it after he replaced the failing battery but no he just tried to keep the pressure in lmao

Is it even possible to replace the battery? I know Apple doesn't. If the battery goes bad they replace the watch itself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is it even possible to replace the battery? I know Apple doesn't. If the battery goes bad they replace the watch itself.

Well it just seemed like a more reasonable idea than the alternative

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This is what made me reply the way I did. Incredibly lovely and dangerous as hell.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I used to wear my watch on my left-hand as a left hander because I hated using a mouse with my watch on. Now that I exclusively use a trackpad, I'm glad I can wear it on my right wrist.

I'm also in the "Wear your watch without a screen protector, get Applecare+, and if in 2 years your display is dinged to hell and you want a new one, just go swap it out for $69" camp. I definitely wish there were more arm bands for the Series 5 - even with a screen protector, I don't trust myself to not destroy it when I'm swinging a kettlebell around.

After enduring a *lot* of mocking for their horrible watch cases and protectors; a dude I speak to occasionally had found a bicep or band designed to put the watch far higher up your arm or even around your leg if you want ; perfect for the gym and other activities where you are likely going to damage your watch or something..
They are on amazon and if you can’t find them I can ask which ones are best; they look similar to those Phone straps for jogging but are a bit more compact for the watch...

They still can’t seem to figure out which way to put the normal style Bands on correctly but so far so good. Isshhh.. I’d link their twitter here or if I can make some of their best mixups anonymous I’ll post them here. You would think they are trolling or something but no they just cannot seem to work out up-down-left-right. I still have doubts they know how to put on shoes without trial and error or some sort of label. :(

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I used to do AASP stuff and repairs for other OEMs. The procedures for handling, installing, returning batteries, swollen or not) is crazy because of the risk.

Yup ; and was it Dell, Samsung or HP who nearly managed to get all lithium devices banned on passenger aircraft a way back; to the point where the UN? Or some subdivision needed to quickly make it a nightmare to send your mate in another city or country any sort of second hand device..

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Nah the battery isn't swollen anywhere near like that, the face popped off but it can be placed back into the housing with almost no pressure. The glue was simply to reseat the housing, not hold anything in, if that makes sense. The battery did unseat the face, but just barely, because there's basically no spare room inside the watch- even a fractional change in the dimension of the battery naturally pops off the face.

I think people are assuming there's this big chonker battery just bulging out, with me like physically stuffing it back inside, which is admittedly a funny mental image... and if that's really the perception I suppose I get the backlash, though I maintain that an Apple Watch has never caused an injury of that type. Completely happy to be proven wrong on that point, however.

I even took it in to the Apple Store (because for a while they were replacing the S1 for this exact issue) but unfortunately I had missed the window. They didn't mention anything about this particular issue being dangerous, they just said, you can recycle it or try to adhere the face somehow. Or, of course, they could fix it for like $200 if you, I guess, thought that was a useful solution.

e: it's a SS watch with the black DLC coating, so it would just be super great if it could be passed on to someone that would appreciate it as much as I did for those years. There isn't a nick on it. The DLC coating is spectacular.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 16, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The reason that repair is $200 is because it's not a repair but an out of warranty replacement. Maybe not a useful solution, but as you learned, the only one that leaves you with a useable watch.

From your description earlier, that watch is hosed. Something damaged the logic board. Moving stuff around to fix it could have done that, ESD, a drop of glue getting on the wrong spot. Anything.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Dude, the reason you can't find documented cases of Apple Watches immolating peoples' wrists is that a swollen battery is the first step in its failure, and in the watches it also renders them pretty useless, as you have found. Only some rear end in a top hat forcing the watch to keep working with a swollen battery would be at risk for the failing battery to develop into a serious problem, and nobody is that loving clueless. Right?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Big Taint posted:

Dude, the reason you can't find documented cases of Apple Watches immolating peoples' wrists is that a swollen battery is the first step in its failure, and in the watches it also renders them pretty useless, as you have found. Only some rear end in a top hat forcing the watch to keep working with a swollen battery would be at risk for the failing battery to develop into a serious problem, and nobody is that loving clueless. Right?

When batteries go bad, they go BAD. You are a grade A rear end in a top hat if you’re knowingly giving someone a device with a bad battery and suggesting they use it. Especially if it’s one they strap to their body.

Seriously - either repair it or recycle it. It ain’t worth some horror show burn on a person.

e: a word.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do love that this conversation is like still going and that the OP hasn’t seen the light lol

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I cannot stop laughing at the idea of gifting someone an obsolete, bulging wrist computer—held together by super glue and shrieking at you in Chinese.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Taima posted:

I think people are assuming there's this big chonker battery just bulging out, with me like physically stuffing it back inside, which is admittedly a funny mental image... and if that's really the perception I suppose I get the backlash, though I maintain that an Apple Watch has never caused an injury of that type. Completely happy to be proven wrong on that point, however.

Regardless of whether or not those assumptions are true, any chance of compromised battery is literally playing with fire.

Go onto Amazon and search for fireproof bags for Lipo batteries. You’ll find they exist, and it just might be because when a Lipo battery goes bad, it does this:

https://youtu.be/9mX08JttCio

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Protocol7 posted:

Regardless of whether or not those assumptions are true, any chance of compromised battery is literally playing with fire.

Go onto Amazon and search for fireproof bags for Lipo batteries. You’ll find they exist, and it just might be because when a Lipo battery goes bad, it does this:

https://youtu.be/9mX08JttCio

Those are all cellphone explosions dude, still zero evidence of watch batteries exploding on people's wrists. :rolleyes:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

a swollen battery is a swollen battery and not something you gently caress around with, this is not complicated or difficult to understand unless you're an idiot trying to motivate reasoning with dumb excuses

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s kinda amazing we don’t see way more accidents with how dangerous these batteries can be.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s kinda amazing we don’t see way more accidents with how dangerous these batteries can be.

I mean when they swell in the watch, it literally pops the face off. That makes it sorta useless as a watch.

Versus a phone or laptop which annoyingly bends/warps.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dick Nipples posted:

I mean when they swell in the watch, it literally pops the face off. That makes it sorta useless as a watch.

Nothing a little gorilla glue can't solve :science:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

101 posted:

Nothing a little gorilla glue can't solve :science:

Certain types of gorilla glue expand as it dries. I wonder if they used that type :laffo:

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I would assume that before bursting into flames the watch would get incredibly hot.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not giving it to him. Not sure what else to say about it. It's unfortunate that we disagree on the specifics though. Can we still be friends?

I just don't think that a thing that hasn't happened one single time with over 6 million products of that type being sold, is a giant concern. It's ok to not be into that assessment, though.

e: oh actually its over 30 million apple watches, where the thing being discussed has not happened, one time.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has nothing to do with it being an apple watch, it has everything to do with it being a lithium ion battery, of which there are numerous reports of them igniting. Yes, given how many lithium ion batteries that exist in the world the overall chance is extremely small, but one of the well documented signs of imminent failure is the battery swelling.

Take that poo poo seriously, do yourself a favor. Think of it as an early warning that you need to dispose of it immediately.