Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

The two of us live in a tiny 1br apartment and the membership is worth it because i have weird dietary needs (three frozen GF pizzas for $14??? Yes?? Also their goat cheese prices are crazy good) and the savings on gas and tp are more than enough to make it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I almost never get gas at Costco. It's like ten percent off, so a few dollars off in exchange for sitting in line for like five minutes.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

PerniciousKnid posted:

I almost never get gas at Costco. It's like ten percent off, so a few dollars off in exchange for sitting in line for like five minutes.

In New York its like 50 cents per gallon less from the regular place, so its worth it especially if you find a time when the line is short.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Visited today and got a bag of yeast, which other grocery stores have been out of for weeks. Also got a case of vitarain water and a box of popsicles.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

In New York its like 50 cents per gallon less from the regular place, so its worth it especially if you find a time when the line is short.

Usually it's like 10-20 cents lower than my corner gas station but lately it's been 40-50 cents which is worth it plus the lines are short or non existent which is a double bonus.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yeah its around $.20/gal lower here. If you have a 16 gallon tank and only fill up once every 2 weeks that.s $83.20 right there before even going inside. Plus I get 4% cash back on gas with my Costco credit card.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've done unspeakable things with this Karen sauce.

And then I did this to them.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Why would you use wing meat for your casserole. That seems like a lot of extra work

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just using leftovers and now have the bones for stock.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

toplitzin posted:

I've done unspeakable things with this Karen sauce.

did you do speakable things with the manager?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Should I become a member of Costco? I've been thinking about it for a few years.

As a single person with their own expenses not feeding anyone else, this is what I typically buy at Costco/Sams Club (I have both)

- Fancy prime quality expensive steaks, the $15 or more a lb kind, once I bought a 3 lb tomahawk cut and ate steak for 3 days
- Frozen dumplings, various kinds
- Frozen 'meals' like the angus cheeseburgers or Jamaican beef patties
- Large bags of vegetables, 10-15 lbs potatoes and onions, packs of peppers, etc.
- Fancy desserts and snacks, like the nutella crepes, macaroons, assorted Lindt chocolates
- Organic Milk
- Quinoa and Brown Rice w/ Garlic rice pouches in a box of 6 packs
- Double Fiber Orowheat bread 2 pack
- Boxes of pasta/noodles, either a regular pack of macaroni or Nissain Raoh Ramen
- Fish oil, glucosamine, pro-biotics, multi-vitamins
- Premier Protein drinks
- Bulk packs of sausages
- Assorted single serve cheese snacks gouda and havarti
- Trash bags
- Paper towels
- Cleaning supplies
- Detergent
- Large spinach containers for salad making
- 2-packs of shredded cheese

You won't be buying these things every month, but I spend typically $100 a trip and won't need to get anything for at least 2 weeks. With freezer space and enough storage containers you can easily stretch it longer and avoid any wastage. I ended up making "flavor blocks" for adding to the Nissain Raoh ramen of sauteed mushrooms, minced garlic, sauteed onions, and green onion because the mushrooms were about to go bad and I had a bunch of spare containers.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Went to Costco at Tustin II (District) and it was a shitshow inside, way too many people packed into one space especially in the back half food area. Everything was in stock but social distancing was basically impossible and people were not handling a bad situation well. We aren't going back anytime soon, at least on a Saturday afternoon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mandalay posted:

Went to Costco at Tustin II (District) and it was a shitshow inside, way too many people packed into one space especially in the back half food area. Everything was in stock but social distancing was basically impossible and people were not handling a bad situation well. We aren't going back anytime soon, at least on a Saturday afternoon.

sounds about like my experience at the richmond one, except it was wednesday at 9:15am lol

weirdly i guess it was supposed to be "senior hours" that i completely forgot about when i showed up, but they must not have been doing it because everyone was just walking in and it was packed. i guess it was weighted more heavily towards olders but average was probably 40-50, so maybe they're just opening an hr early at 9am these days and not doing the senior thing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tbh i dont know if they are really doing senior hours anymore, and by they I mean anyone. It's kinda, if youre a senior you dont have to wait but we'll let others in too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Alan Smithee posted:

tbh i dont know if they are really doing senior hours anymore, and by they I mean anyone. It's kinda, if youre a senior you dont have to wait but we'll let others in too

They’re still doing them in the morning but if a senior comes later in the day I don’t think there is special treatment.

From their site: “Special Operating Hours for Members Ages 60 or Older

Effective Monday, May 4, Costco warehouses will open from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., Monday through Friday for members ages 60 and older, and people with disabilities. Only members who meet this criteria will be able to shop during these hours. Guests will not be admitted. The pharmacy will be open, but the Costco Food Court will be closed during these hours.”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alan Smithee posted:

officially they are, but in practice, i dont htink they are and probably up to the manager or front dooor staff if they just want to let everyone one

which hey, im cool with, glad i didnt have to wait after all. would explain why the inventory was really full bc it was still early.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

seniors buying all the clorox wipes!! :argh:

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

Soon...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xaris posted:

costco is good but
a) are you living by yourself, adn do you have a relatively small 1br place or so?
b) do you live really close to one (~20 mins or less), and is it convenient to get to?

honestly if you're single and in a 1br apartment, you can make Costco worth $60/yr membership, but kind of marginal to not really worth it unless it's also convenient and close, and not very busy. winco, trader joes, aldi, etc usually provides pretty close enough prices for smaller-portions that you can eat before it goes bad. i live with my fiance in a 1br and it's worth it, but not by a whole lot. it's just nicer to get higher quality stuff for similar prices as alternatives, and a bit cheaper on the paper towels/toilet paper/shampoo/conditioner/cheeses/lettuce/bulk rice-beans-spices-etc.

the more people you live with and the bigger place you've got, the more you can out of it

Costco is totally worth it for 1 person if you make frequent use of their takeout options and if you have pets that need lots of produce/etc. I live in a rental with a roommate and can’t set up/afford a RO water filter for a 10gal reef, but costco sells bulk RO water cheap which is plenty for a small 10gal. When I had 3 rabbits with an ex we made frequent use of Costco for veggies and cleaning supplies and poo poo.

Also if you’re trying to shift to a majority plant-based diet, the Costco savings on produce and legumes/grains add up super quickly. I think Trader Joe’s probably does an equally good job of hitting packaged/frozen foods in terms of cost with more variety and smaller portions, but they can’t touch Costco when you need a poo poo ton of kale, peppers, lentils, eggs, and rice.

And like others have said, if you buy a handful of clothing or electronics or appliance or more “premium”/“luxury” (ie not staple, or not something you’d buy all the time/you’re buying it for fun or to celebrate or whatever) food items there per year the savings quickly pay for the membership outright.

Personally I make up for it once over in hot dogs, salads, froyo, and pizzas; once over just in Annie’s mac & cheese and lactose-free milk; and probably once over in shrimp and shrimp-based foods.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 10, 2020

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

fordham posted:

Allergy meds, multivitams, and are pharmacy stuff is significantly cheaper than other places.

If you have lovely prescription drug coverage absolutely get your medications from Costco pharmacy, they are WAY cheaper than other drug stores when you are paying out of pocket.

My allergy med is $73 a year at Costco. Cheaper than Walgreens. That includes the $60 membership fee.

Everything else is a bonus.

Buying generic allergy meds from Costco is literally cheaper than buying them from a drug store, even with the $60 membership fee. Claritin and Zyrtec are $11 or $13 a year.

Actual prescription drugs might be cheaper at Walmart though. Print off their $4 list and ask your doctor if you can use one or two of them instead of some specialty compound drug that fucks your wallet.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

fyi in a lot of states you don't need a membership to buy alcohol

Only in a quarter of states.

Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Texas and Vermont.

Here in Minnesota the alcohol is sold in a separate physically and legally different store that just happens to be under the same roof. There's a passthrough for forklifts, during the off hours, but they're otherwise completely separate. Costco literally had to get the local liquor store ordinance changed to allow even that workaround. They stong-armed the city council and said "we're not opening a store in your town without liquor sales. Fix your ordinances." The city bent at the knee.

Fwiw the ordinance was "no liquor stores within a 1 mile radius of another" which is insanely anti-competitive. 6 liquor stores immediately opened in that area, 5 survived.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 10, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Living alone, I've been buying the Kirkland salmon because it's easy to thaw, roast with some of the stir fly blend or Normandy blend or whatever veggies.

Well, last night on a lark I bought a bag of the Mahi-mahi. On another shelf I saw a giant jar of green chiles in this sort of paste (I love this flavor).

Together I used those two items to make Mahi-mahi fish tacos with green chile sauce and oh man they were an outrageous hit.

Just substitute normal fat ingredients in the sauce and pan bake the fish (400 for 10-12 minutes, cooked to temp) instead of frying it.

https://www.cookincanuck.com/fish-tacos-with-creamy-green-chile-cilantro-sauce-recipe/

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Im still scared to go.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

Im still scared to go.

Go in the evening on a weekday its great.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I've gone twice since this poo poo started, both in the afternoon, and both times the place was far too crowded for comfort.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

stealie72 posted:

I've gone twice since this poo poo started, both in the afternoon, and both times the place was far too crowded for comfort.

Go on weekdays imo

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

JK Fresco posted:

Go on weekdays imo

Those were weekdays. Lots of retirees. Kind of frustrating given reports of emptiness here. But maybe I'm just in a high demand area or something.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

stealie72 posted:

Those were weekdays. Lots of retirees. Kind of frustrating given reports of emptiness here. But maybe I'm just in a high demand area or something.

Hmm did you go early in the morning?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

fordham posted:

Allergy meds, multivitams, and are pharmacy stuff is significantly cheaper than other places.

If you have lovely prescription drug coverage absolutely get your medications from Costco pharmacy, they are WAY cheaper than other drug stores when you are paying out of pocket.

This is true. First time I had a prescription filled there, I smugly showed him the GoodRX coupon I usually used. The tech looked at it, smiled, and said their regular rates were cheaper.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

We get a medicine for one of our dogs for his Addison's disease and when we went to Costco the pharmacist looked at the price and apologized for how expensive it was, and double checked to make certain that it was accurate. It was 50% the price of anywhere else. It was nice of them to care.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Living alone, I've been buying the Kirkland salmon because it's easy to thaw, roast with some of the stir fly blend or Normandy blend or whatever veggies.

Well, last night on a lark I bought a bag of the Mahi-mahi. On another shelf I saw a giant jar of green chiles in this sort of paste (I love this flavor).

Together I used those two items to make Mahi-mahi fish tacos with green chile sauce and oh man they were an outrageous hit.

Just substitute normal fat ingredients in the sauce and pan bake the fish (400 for 10-12 minutes, cooked to temp) instead of frying it.

https://www.cookincanuck.com/fish-tacos-with-creamy-green-chile-cilantro-sauce-recipe/
The Hatch chiles? It’s a pro-tier buy. I’ve tried other Hatch chile salsas and this one is by far the best.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

The Hatch chiles? It’s a pro-tier buy. I’ve tried other Hatch chile salsas and this one is by far the best.

Yeah its excellent stuff.

I made enchiladas with some of mine and hoo boy, welcome to Flavor Country. :discourse:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Got some shins (sadly no blacks), croissants, vanilla extract, Jamaican patties, and a bunch of other random snacks and toiletry items, made bacon egg and cheese croissants and yum

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

Im still scared to go.

Costco still delivers yo!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Will they still deliver a TV and mount it to the wall?

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Will they deliver over 50 miles away to my home in the California boonies?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

david_a posted:

Chinatown posted:

Yeah its excellent stuff.

I made enchiladas with some of mine and hoo boy, welcome to Flavor Country. :discourse:

They're incredible.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Jubs posted:

Will they still deliver a TV and mount it to the wall?

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Will they deliver over 50 miles away to my home in the California boonies?

I...I don't know! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jubs posted:

Will they still deliver a bidet and install it to your toilet?