Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean the ones that come with a waterblock/heatsink combo? You're wasting money on a heatsink you're only ever going to use when you sell the card or as an emergency fallback, just get the cheapest card with the clocks you want, and then get a NZXT Kraken bracket.

They used to advertise that you could use any AIO that used the Asetek toothed ring clamping system with the G10, but not anymore with the G12, just be mindful of that.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I meant hybrid as in something like this: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Hybrid-Graphics-11G-P4-2384-KR/dp/B07MGZJP77/

There's no compelling reason to go with that over the NZXT Kraken bracket + an AIO + a 120/140mm Noctua, right?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Phone posted:

I meant hybrid as in something like this: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Hybrid-Graphics-11G-P4-2384-KR/dp/B07MGZJP77/

There's no compelling reason to go with that over the NZXT Kraken bracket + an AIO + a 120/140mm Noctua, right?

that has a warranty, the kraken doesn't, and you can break the board installing or removing the bracket. At the same or similar pricing levels I'd take the hybrid.

the fans aren't quiet on those and replacing them with a noctua will still be helpful for noise levels

yeah, don't be stupid installing it, but I had a heatsink fall off its thermal tape when installing a morpheus cooler and killed my 1080, so... it can happen.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 9, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had a heatsink fall off its thermal tape when installing a morpheus cooler and killed my 1080, so... it can happen.

:rip: I'm feeling bad for rhapsodizing about Morpheus 2 so much, to this day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

:rip: I'm feeling bad for rhapsodizing about Morpheus 2 so much, to this day.

the worst part is i knew that the VRAM didn't even need it anyway, it didn't have heatsinks on my G10 and the morpheus has strictly more airflow. I killed my 1080 putting dumb cosmetic heatsinks on

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I hosed up with my latest computer update. I got a tomahawk max and a ryzen. Then I realised I needed more USB ports so I put in a card for that. I also needed a better sound solution (optical out) so I put in a card for that too. I have a 980 in there and it's only a 2-slot card but I don't think I have space for a 3-slot. I'm intending to get something good when it comes out in q3. I got the idea from the last 2-3 pages that 3-slot cards are the only quiet ones these days?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can probably fit many 3 slot coolers next to a USB header. Or you can probably find an alternative USB solution, something that you can custom-mount elsewhere in your case. Or you can probably use some kind of HDMI > TOSLINK adapter and run audio through your GPU.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Depending on what you need USB ports for you might consider a hub or changing the case, too.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Additionally a USB sound device is pretty normal and standard all the way from crappy thing built into a headset to high ohm supporting dongles to audiophile bullshit. Not much need for an actual sound card nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6SYQG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought this for my high impedence headphones that my front panel jack couldn't push. I also paid $31 for it, I can't say it's a good deal at 60, but you get the idea.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

LRADIKAL posted:

Additionally a USB sound device is pretty normal and standard all the way from crappy thing built into a headset to high ohm supporting dongles to audiophile bullshit. Not much need for an actual sound card nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6SYQG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought this for my high impedence headphones that my front panel jack couldn't push. I also paid $31 for it, I can't say it's a good deal at 60, but you get the idea.

I got a USB dac (DAC?) on the recommendation of the other thread then found out that it only has stereo out, after I bought it. I have a receiver that I plug optical into, and there's a 5.1 system hooked up to the receiver. Then I looked more into USB dacs and the prices of good ones (all seemed to have reviews that mentioned hissing) and decided to just buy a sound card, and reasoned that I'd probably keep the sound card for about 10 years before I'm forced to get a new one (like I just did) because it won't fit into any of the slots in a new motherboard (like just happened to me), one day.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you have a free PCI backplate on your case you could just use one of these for extra USBs without using an actual PCIe slot on your board

https://www.amazon.com/RIITOP-Female-Connector-Adapter-Bracket/dp/B01KJPUI5W
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Female-Plate-Adapter/dp/B00015Y0FK/

Then the bottom PCIe x1 slot is free for your soundcard and a 3slot gpu should fit above that

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What do you need the USB ports for?

It looks like that board has 5 regular USB ports and one USB-C port on the back panel, and then whatever case ports you have connected. What are they being occupied by?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Redreader why don’t you just replace the Tomahawk with a more fully featured motherboard? You seem like the kind of discriminating person who should look for ALC1000+ audio, optical out, Intel LAN, ample USB connectors, etc.

It just seems like you’re throwing a lot of effort at adding features to a board known for quality VRMs and little else to speak for it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A sound card is waste of a PCIe slot, there isn't really any downside to going with USB unless you're doing professional-level stuff (and even then, there are decent USB-based options).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

If you have a free PCI backplate on your case you could just use one of these for extra USBs without using an actual PCIe slot on your board

https://www.amazon.com/RIITOP-Female-Connector-Adapter-Bracket/dp/B01KJPUI5W
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Female-Plate-Adapter/dp/B00015Y0FK/

Then the bottom PCIe x1 slot is free for your soundcard and a 3slot gpu should fit above that

I think this would work, thanks!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What do you need the USB ports for?

It looks like that board has 5 regular USB ports and one USB-C port on the back panel, and then whatever case ports you have connected. What are they being occupied by?

Yeah so I have 2 front ports on my case too making 7, which normally have mouse/keyboard. I also use a usb headset for talking to my friends. I don't have usb on my monitor, or a webcam on it so there are no 'usb port' devices. So I have a webcam too, a USB cable for a gamepad, 2 external hard drives, a usb-> bluetooth, and a couple of other things I plug in. I don't need more than about 1-2 extra usb slots.

Also, there's a usb-c? Awesome, I didn't actually know that.

Craptacular! posted:

Redreader why don’t you just replace the Tomahawk with a more fully featured motherboard? You seem like the kind of discriminating person who should look for ALC1000+ audio, optical out, Intel LAN, ample USB connectors, etc.

It just seems like you’re throwing a lot of effort at adding features to a board known for quality VRMs and little else to speak for it.

I admit I didn't really think much about it beyond 'go with what the thread recommends most people'. I didn't check and fully expected an optical out on the motherboard. I realised while I was spending money on the sound card and usb card that if I'd got a better motherboard it'd have all those things, and then I thought "I can use the same usb card and sound card on all of my future motherboards and just carry on buying cheap CPUs and motherboards a bit more often" but now with the "some GPUs take 3 slots" thing I had to reconsider. But yeah it looks like I'll be fine.

Thanks everyone!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

redreader posted:

I got a USB dac (DAC?) on the recommendation of the other thread then found out that it only has stereo out, after I bought it. I have a receiver that I plug optical into, and there's a 5.1 system hooked up to the receiver. Then I looked more into USB dacs and the prices of good ones (all seemed to have reviews that mentioned hissing) and decided to just buy a sound card, and reasoned that I'd probably keep the sound card for about 10 years before I'm forced to get a new one (like I just did) because it won't fit into any of the slots in a new motherboard (like just happened to me), one day.

tbh, this is always the hardware cycle dream (other than nothing ever dying, but then you dont get spontaneous upgrades..) and i hope it works out for you

E: i've been a pretty good boy lately (got into a nasty wreck irl and then woke up and it was basically the end of the world) and this thread is kind of giving me the itch to put a piece of hardware into another piece of hardware. now to figure out..ware, and watt

e2: omg thank goodness, i just remembered one of my machines has some issue and keeps shutting itself off. and its even my little bastard one that has tape holding two hard drives together in lieu of a proper mount. this is gonna be the best sunday ever

e3: ooooh right. i forgot. i smuggled this unit into my desk at work so i could play games. my last day there i went to go get it and it was gone. i found it in the IT department on some guys desk all opened up. hasnt worked right since.

e4: pfft. somebody un-taped my harddrives together.

https://imgur.com/a/YnhEO33

That's a gtx1050ti crammed in there. Sadly there's no remotely affordable upgrade path for a machine like this.

tbh i think they took out the video card and didnt reseat it properly and that was the problem, ive had it running since my post earlier doing updates as a sort of soft benchmark and its fine. ill put it thru a round or 2 of new call of duty to test

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 10, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Does the Nvidia Control Panel have an option for adjust gamma (or something?) on a per-application basis?

I've been playing a game (The Forest) and there is no gamma adjustment in-game. I changed the "night-time and cave" brightness to maximum, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I've seen some YouTube videos that the users are in caves that look like full-day brightness. I'm not sure I need to go that far, but having completed the story, I've had enough "atmosphere" and would like to just stop stumbling around in the dark.

It looks like there is a per-monitor adjustment; I suppose I can just use that if I have to, and set it back when I'm done. Just curious if there's a better way.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So I've been puttering along with a GTX 970 and a 1080p monitor for a while. Don't mind turning things down to get decent performance, but I'm finally starting to hit a wall. Installed Assassin's Creed Origin and went to the Geforce Experience thing and it basically turned everything off that it could. Game's playable, but a lot of the textures look pretty bad. In one of the cutscenes my dude kind of looked like he was made out of Gumby clay.

Everything else in my PC is fairly recent, so this is definitely the bottleneck; what am I looking at in terms of upgrade? Would the $200-300 range cards be worth shelling out for, or am I looking at the $500 tier at a minimum to get a noticeable boost?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kazmeyer posted:

So I've been puttering along with a GTX 970 and a 1080p monitor for a while. Don't mind turning things down to get decent performance, but I'm finally starting to hit a wall. Installed Assassin's Creed Origin and went to the Geforce Experience thing and it basically turned everything off that it could. Game's playable, but a lot of the textures look pretty bad. In one of the cutscenes my dude kind of looked like he was made out of Gumby clay.

Everything else in my PC is fairly recent, so this is definitely the bottleneck; what am I looking at in terms of upgrade? Would the $200-300 range cards be worth shelling out for, or am I looking at the $500 tier at a minimum to get a noticeable boost?

Try turning textures up and see if that fixes the gumby clay thing. However, the 970 doesn't have an excessive amount of VRAM to play with, so it may tank performance.

You could do like a 1660 Super or something if you can find one in stock. Or we are due for a new generation of GPUs probably later this year.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Try turning textures up and see if that fixes the gumby clay thing. However, the 970 doesn't have an excessive amount of VRAM to play with, so it may tank performance.

You could do like a 1660 Super or something if you can find one in stock. Or we are due for a new generation of GPUs probably later this year.

Yeah, I didn't really mess with it much; this is just the first time the Experience settings program went "HOLY poo poo TURN EVERYTHING OFF WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING MAN" on me. (I know the new generation of AC games are resource hogs.)

I think I've been able to coast a bit because it's not a bad card, but the newer memory-heavy stuff they're doing in games is starting to come up against the hard limits.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 11, 2020

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

kazmeyer posted:

In one of the cutscenes my dude kind of looked like he was made out of Gumby clay.

Just a FYI there should be a separate category for Character's Texture and Quality.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm wallowing in indecisive comparison shopping hell, but realized I had been strongly considering getting an RTX 2070, but after finally doing some of the research I usually do when thinking about GPUs it looks like a 2060 super is objectively a better decision. The 2070 super looks good, but the price jump makes me leery.

I'm holding in there with my 1060 6GB at the moment, but after upgrading everything else (including to a 1440p monitor) the itch to upgrade the GPU is getting hard to quell.

Hell, sometimes I even slip back to considering a 5700 xt, but that's usually brief.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm wallowing in indecisive comparison shopping hell, but realized I had been strongly considering getting an RTX 2070, but after finally doing some of the research I usually do when thinking about GPUs it looks like a 2060 super is objectively a better decision.

It's the exact same chip and everything, the 2070 just has a hair more shader units.
I just checked and in Germany the same cooler models are within 5 to 10 bucks of each other. Don't worry about it.
Too late to buy a new card now anyway. The time was 10 months ago for a Turing, and around last November for a 5700 if you were so inclined.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
What's the expectation wrt the current gen prices once nvidia's announcement happens later this week (including the second hand market)?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

What's the expectation wrt the current gen prices once nvidia's announcement happens later this week (including the second hand market)?

Nvidia will silently halt production of those big expensive chips (or they already have), and one by one you'll notice certain models being unavailable.
Maybe another rewards pack-in, no AMD style firesales. You'll see €249 5700s before the end of the summer, but Nvidia prices are as sticky as Intel K CPUs :(
That includes the 2hand market, it wasn't too long ago that I could have sold my effin 2GB 960 for real money but I was too lazy ofc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

You'll see €249 5700s before the end of the summer
hot diggety drat!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paul MaudDib posted:

the worst part is i knew that the VRAM didn't even need it anyway, it didn't have heatsinks on my G10 and the morpheus has strictly more airflow. I killed my 1080 putting dumb cosmetic heatsinks on

Did it fall on something and short it out? Trying to figure out how it killed the card if it really was unnecessary. Probably going to get a morpheus in the nearish future.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

im not sure we'll see the same kind of deals as last time in the secondary market. i suspect that the 1660s, for example, will get snatched up ASAP, since I think they get most of the encoding benefits of turing if i understand correctly, just not the RTX

also judging by a quick glance on amazon... inventory of some cards is sketchy at best, which bodes even less-gooder for the secondary market by my understanding

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speaking of, any bets on how this roll-out will be different from last time with Turing when Nvidia had a huge surplus stock of Pascal because they overestimated the cryptomining market?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

probably faster rollout so that we can adopt whatever proprietary BS they put in instead of logging in to get drivers

it was almost a given i wasnt going to buy in to Turing coming from high end Pascal and I'm nowhere near alone

otoh

it am very interested to see what theyve got cooking with the next generation. not that i need an upgrade, but its been long enough that im willing to spend money on it again

and i somehow doubt theyre unaware of that or that im alone. it really doesnt help that i plan on hand-me-downing my 'old' gtx1080ti

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 11, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kazmeyer posted:

AC: Origins especially is rough on systems. It cares more about CPU cores than anything else, so hopefully you at least have a 6 core processor. Try turning the texture settings up a bit to medium or high to make it look nicer. The game doesn't actually use that much VRAM.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's that time of year when... I wish I'd bought a 1080ti

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's that time of year when... I wish I'd bought a 1080ti

Yeah I'm kicking myself I didn't get in on my friend's bulk purchase of those cards. He had a good deal on them and I thought my 1070 was sufficient at the time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Assassin's Creed has some weird CPU coding, but installing Kaldaien's mod might fix it. I don't know whether Ubisoft adopted K's fixes, but probably not after Odyssey came out with the same issues.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

VorpalFish posted:

Did it fall on something and short it out? Trying to figure out how it killed the card if it really was unnecessary. Probably going to get a morpheus in the nearish future.
Just buy some third party thermal tape on eBay and you won't have to worry about it. I keep a roll of sekisui #5760 tape on hand since every aftermarket GPU cooler comes with garbage 3M stuff. 3M is supposed to be highly rated but I saw too many heatsinks just fall off from it over the years to trust it, whereas with this tape I've had copper heatsinks hanging upside down for a decade.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 11, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VorpalFish posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure it shorted something. Bummer.

I did score a used (blower) 1080 Ti for $325 to replace it, which was nice.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reminder that their likely won’t be any gaming product announcements, but we may get an idea of what the titan/top gaming part can do.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Inept posted:

AC: Origins especially is rough on systems. It cares more about CPU cores than anything else, so hopefully you at least have a 6 core processor. Try turning the texture settings up a bit to medium or high to make it look nicer. The game doesn't actually use that much VRAM.

i5-8400, so yeah, six cores. Built a new machine about a year and a half ago, and replaced everything but the GPU since we were in the height of Bitcoin mania at the time and my only significant upgrades were insanely expensive.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I am still happy with my 1080Ti. It's gotten to the point I am waiting for next gen Intel and amd processors because my 8600k is struggling 6 non-hyper threaded cores. Unless there is massive gains on the Nvidia front with the new cards, I probably skip this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

future ghost posted:

Just buy some third party thermal tape on eBay and you won't have to worry about it. I keep a roll of sekisui #5760 tape on hand since every aftermarket GPU cooler comes with garbage 3M stuff. 3M is supposed to be highly rated but I saw too many heatsinks just fall off from it over the years to trust it, whereas with this tape I've had copper heatsinks hanging upside down for a decade.

Fortunately I think I should be okay regardless since the case I got has an inverted layout with the gpu upside down so I don't think they'll straight up fall on something, just trying to figure out if operating without is a major risk.