Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

cr0y posted:

Can someone help me figure out what movie I am thinking of?

The plot is some post-9/11 war on terror flick about a soldier who is sent...somewhere and is going crazy from boredom, he ultimately gets involved in the enhanced interrogation program and eventually gets outted on national television through some news report. It's a more recent movie (within the past 5-10 years or so). I have seen it before but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or even who was in it.

Syriana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

cr0y posted:

Can someone help me figure out what movie I am thinking of?

The plot is some post-9/11 war on terror flick about a soldier who is sent...somewhere and is going crazy from boredom, he ultimately gets involved in the enhanced interrogation program and eventually gets outted on national television through some news report. It's a more recent movie (within the past 5-10 years or so). I have seen it before but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or even who was in it.

Part of Zero Dark Thirty is the outing of the CIA guys who have to leave the country. Not the main characters though.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

Part of Zero Dark Thirty is the outing of the CIA guys who have to leave the country. Not the main characters though.

Ya it's not zero dark thirty or syriana. At the very end of the movie the protagonist is talking to the terrorist guy he started to feel sympathy for and is like "why do you kill innocent women and children" and the terrorist guy is like "they aren't innocent"

This is driving me nuts

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
insta account I follow posted these

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First one's Conan the Barbarian.

e: second one: Atlantis, the Lost Continent, if we can trust google image search.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I'm almost certain the second is Atlantis, The Lost Continent. I remember the guy in robes also being The Chief from Get Smart.

I have two more:

1. Kind of obscure one here, Japanese live action film from the early-mid 2000's, some fantasy thing. The part I remember best was nearer the end of the film, with a bunch of heroes and villains standing on a plateau at night with a floating landmass tethered in the sky off-camera by giant chains. I remember this specifically because it reminded me so much of a specific area in Final Fantasy 8 pictured below.

2. Another sword and sorcery movie, this time in English and probably from the 80's, very early in the film an evil sorcerer is being held captive by a couple of guards in a keep, he says something or waves his hands around and they hang themselves.

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Alris posted:

2. Another sword and sorcery movie, this time in English and probably from the 80's, very early in the film an evil sorcerer is being held captive by a couple of guards in a keep, he says something or waves his hands around and they hang themselves.

Probably Beastmaster.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think I saw this movie in the 90s or something. I think it was set in a fantasy world. Main character is (I think) royalty, and is being given a bunch of wishes (like on his birthday maybe?) by some member of a fantasy race who I think might also be like a royal adviser or something. EDIT: Main character is young, maybe a teenager. Is male.

It's a set amount of wishes, rather than unlimited. When he makes a wish, the wish granter says 'coo' and the thing instantly happens. Each wish he makes doesn't go how he planned, and he reverses it. Also, at one point he exclaims that he wishes he was dead, and finds himself chilling in the afterlife. I think one of the wishes is he wishes everyone loved him, and he turns into a baby.

When he gets to his last wish, which he botches, it turns out the last wish can't be reversed. I can kinda remember him making some journey, possibly in a flying pram as a result of the baby wish, while a whole bunch of members of the fantasy race constantly chant 'coo' over and over again to power the pram or however it is he's getting there. (This being after he failed to reverse his last wish, I think)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A long time ago there was a thread in GBS that was about posting scary videos for Halloween. Might've been in the 2008? One person posted a movie that was uploaded to google videos, might have been copyrighted or so old that mods didn't catch it, or care about it.

It was a movie from the late 80s or 90s, maybe? It was definitely low budget, no one famous or would become famous starred in it. It was set mainly in a house, I think, and the initial plot was that it was haunted by ghosts. The white family living there asked a news crew or amateur film crew to come by and see if they could capture anything. They had set up cameras, or had a crew of camera operators following the family members around since this was before widely available small security cams, and I think one person may have been narrating it?

Anyways, weird things were going on a la horror movies such as scary sounds, suddenly locked doors, things in the window, and as the night progressed I think family members were either disappearing, or going crazy. At the end of the movie it turns out it was actually aliens, and the youngest family member, a child, walked out of the house up to where a blue ufo or glowing lights beyond the horizon. They may have been the last person left of the family, besides the camera crew.

Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Was it done in a documentary style or regular film?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

Was it done in a documentary style or regular film?

I think a documentary. I swear it felt like a news show but that also feels incorrect. I do remember them carrying the camera down hallways.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

value-brand cereal posted:

I think a documentary. I swear it felt like a news show but that also feels incorrect. I do remember them carrying the camera down hallways.

That’s sort of what happens in the last segment of the second VHS

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 6, 2020

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

I can't help you but I do want to say drat I hope someone figures this out.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Could you possibly be misremembering UFO Abduction or Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

A high school movie from the 80s where a student gets advice on how to be cool by the ghost of a greaser who died in the 50s. Maybe starred Jon Cryer as the student?

I just remember this line where the student puts a bunch of grease in his hair and declares "Great, now I'm the only guy at school with a bulletproof head."

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

PeterCat posted:

A high school movie from the 80s where a student gets advice on how to be cool by the ghost of a greaser who died in the 50s. Maybe starred Jon Cryer as the student?

I just remember this line where the student puts a bunch of grease in his hair and declares "Great, now I'm the only guy at school with a bulletproof head."

The Heavenly Kid.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thanks!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh my god. Thank you so much, this is it! I think it's the first one from '89! You guys are amazing, thanks to everyone!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

A long time ago there was a thread in GBS that was about posting scary videos for Halloween. Might've been in the 2008? One person posted a movie that was uploaded to google videos, might have been copyrighted or so old that mods didn't catch it, or care about it.

It was a movie from the late 80s or 90s, maybe? It was definitely low budget, no one famous or would become famous starred in it. It was set mainly in a house, I think, and the initial plot was that it was haunted by ghosts. The white family living there asked a news crew or amateur film crew to come by and see if they could capture anything. They had set up cameras, or had a crew of camera operators following the family members around since this was before widely available small security cams, and I think one person may have been narrating it?

Anyways, weird things were going on a la horror movies such as scary sounds, suddenly locked doors, things in the window, and as the night progressed I think family members were either disappearing, or going crazy. At the end of the movie it turns out it was actually aliens, and the youngest family member, a child, walked out of the house up to where a blue ufo or glowing lights beyond the horizon. They may have been the last person left of the family, besides the camera crew.

Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone?

Ghostwatch? Was a BBC one off show in the 90s about a haunted house.
Sounds like what you are saying, apart from the end.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That was presented as a factual show, leading to outbreaks of hysteria and ptsd, and allegedly causing at least one suicide.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s definitely Ghostwatch then. And the hosts were household names in UK.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ghostwatch doesn't really fit the description because it was a "live" show which constantly cut back to the studio, the format doesn't fit the description.

Charlie Brooker did a segment about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEozFtqe3s

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You know, Poltergeist fits the description I just realized. The ending has a 'ufo' point of light.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What's the narration from at the beginning of this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-rrtnQdIg

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

What's the narration from at the beginning of this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-rrtnQdIg

Messiah of Evil.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Trying to remember a rom com from the 50s/60s/70s where the woman is very ditsy. The male lead is annoyed by her antics throughout but accepts her good nature at the end. I’m sorry that’s really all I can remember. I think it was in color

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A MIRACLE posted:

Trying to remember a rom com from the 50s/60s/70s where the woman is very ditsy. The male lead is annoyed by her antics throughout but accepts her good nature at the end. I’m sorry that’s really all I can remember. I think it was in color

You’ve just described the screwball comedy genre.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A MIRACLE posted:

Every Marilyn Monroe movie
Sabrina I guess
Everything with Marion Davies
Judy Holliday
Some Barbara Stanwyk, Jean Harlow, and Carol Lombard
Annie Hall
er, Young Frankenstein? Rocky Horror Picture Show?

E: my money is on Annie Hall. Does "la di da" ring a bell? What about lobsters?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 10, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

regulargonzalez posted:

Nope, that doesn't ring any lobsters

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

regulargonzalez posted:

Every Marilyn Monroe movie
Sabrina I guess
Everything with Marion Davies
Judy Holliday
Some Barbara Stanwyk, Jean Harlow, and Carol Lombard
Annie Hall
er, Young Frankenstein? Rocky Horror Picture Show?

I think I remember some more details. The male lead might have another love interest that he prefers for most of the movie. The movie ends at a national park or some other nice outdoor setting.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I remember some more details. The male lead might have another love interest that he prefers for most of the movie. The movie ends at a national park or some other nice outdoor setting.

Some of this fits one of my favourite films, What’s Up Doc. Ryan O’Neal is engaged to Madeline Kahn for about half the movie, then leaves her for Barbara Steisand. She plays a pain in the rear end, and he’s constantly annoyed by her for most of the first half. The only thing that doesn’t fit is the park: the film ends with an almost unparalleled car chase through San Fransisco, including a very famous pane of glass scene and also a Chinese dragon, which I’m sure you’d remember.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Vertigo?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bringing Up Baby?

I still think we’re being trolled here.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

What's this from? I keep seeing it on ads for Amazon Prime Video:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Runcible Cat posted:

What's this from? I keep seeing it on ads for Amazon Prime Video:

Dotonbori Hotel in Osaka Japan

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Bringing Up Baby?

I still think we’re being trolled here.

Lol I’m really not trolling. Gonna watch these and report back

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

It’s a laugh a minute!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

doomrider7 posted:

Dotonbori Hotel in Osaka Japan

Cool, it exists? I thought it was a set. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if this was a documentary or a YouTube video, but I remember watching something that went into detail about the unique status of University of Notre Dame's football team and how it built it's nationwide fanbase. I'd really like to see that again because it cast a great critical eye into the University's shady dealings and most of my online searching turns up decidedly pro-Notre Dame content