Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkVr0VUSTA

I mean, it looks charming. But it also looks overdramatic and schmaltzy. Definitely getting some Funny People vibes.

Looks like it could be overdramatic and probably too long. But it's not really fair to compare it to Funny People. It looks way better than that, even if it is from Apatow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I enjoyed Funny People and I sorta like Apatow's earnestly sentimental style :shrug:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am simply shocked that it looks as good as it does considering how much I usually dislike Pete Davidson.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

-Judd Apatow

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am simply shocked that it looks as good as it does considering how much I usually dislike Pete Davidson.

Same. I like everyone involved in that, except him.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Judd Apatow has a lot of very obvious flaws in his films (mostly that they are almost universally too goddamn long) but he's always been very good at getting really honest performances out of people who you might not expect to be good at acting. Like you can draw a direct downward line in inherent acting talent for the stars of each of his movies (Steve Carell is better than Seth Rogan, who is better than Adam Sandler, who is better than Amy Schumer, who is probably better than Pete Davidson) (edit: I forgot Paul Rudd, who is definitely a better actor than Adam Sandler and Seth Rogan, but also didn't fit the pattern) but the movies are fully designed to get really good performances out of the actors by putting them squarely in their comfort zone, surrounded by people who they work well with and stories that are squarely in their emotional wheelhouses. His movies are also fun to watch when the improv is working correctly, because it feels like you're hanging out with really funny versions of your friends.

edit: King of Staten Island is 136 minutes, which means it's the second longest Apatow movie but all of them fall in the 125-145 range except 40-Year-Old Virgin but that had a director's cut come out that's like a half-hour longer. I do not understand why his movies need to be so loving long.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 9, 2020

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

Judd Apatow has a lot of very obvious flaws in his films (mostly that they are almost universally too goddamn long) but he's always been very good at getting really honest performances out of people who you might not expect to be good at acting. Like you can draw a direct downward line in inherent acting talent for the stars of each of his movies (Steve Carell is better than Seth Rogan, who is better than Adam Sandler, who is better than Amy Schumer, who is probably better than Pete Davidson) (edit: I forgot Paul Rudd, who is definitely a better actor than Adam Sandler and Seth Rogan, but also didn't fit the pattern) but the movies are fully designed to get really good performances out of the actors by putting them squarely in their comfort zone, surrounded by people who they work well with and stories that are squarely in their emotional wheelhouses. His movies are also fun to watch when the improv is working correctly, because it feels like you're hanging out with really funny versions of your friends.

edit: King of Staten Island is 136 minutes, which means it's the second longest Apatow movie but all of them fall in the 125-145 range except 40-Year-Old Virgin but that had a director's cut come out that's like a half-hour longer. I do not understand why his movies need to be so loving long.

Also he shoots hours and hours of improv for each scene, a lot of his early cuts are 3-4 hours long. He makes multiple versions and screens them for audiences, and records their reactions. They track the laughter during the screenings to know what jokes to keep and what jokes to cut.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Sandler is a way better actor than Seth Rogen.... when he actually wants to try.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd guess if you asked Seth Rogen his opinion on that he'd agree wholeheartedly.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Same for Adam Sandler and Steve Carell. Well, not necessarily that he'd agree.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I'd guess if you asked Seth Rogen his opinion on that he'd agree wholeheartedly.

Rogen seems to have made acting into an occasional thing while he produces passion projects, which I can get behind even if I don't love the results. I still like a bunch of his stuff. His Nardwuar interview is very enjoyable, partly because I think Seth hasn't changed much. He was an affable stoner a decade ago, now he's an affable stoner with money and clout.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 9, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dillbag posted:

Also he shoots hours and hours of improv for each scene, a lot of his early cuts are 3-4 hours long. He makes multiple versions and screens them for audiences, and records their reactions. They track the laughter during the screenings to know what jokes to keep and what jokes to cut.

God, I hate improv film so loving much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

God, I hate improv film so loving much.

It's extremely difficult to make a comedy without it. Jokes just don't translate from the page well enough to sustain a movie usually

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kiimo posted:

It's extremely difficult to make a comedy without it. Jokes just don't translate from the page well enough to sustain a movie usually

What's the difference between a comedy movie and a comedy TV show, in this regard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean I don't know but shows like New Girl used improv extensively and they're funny but shows like the Mindy Project has excellent writing because Mindy Kaling is just a really consistently funny writer (and one who writes actual jokes rather than just put people in embarrassing situations) so maybe it's easier to find improv people than really talented comedy writing? Just a guess, not a writer and don't work in production.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

There’s nothing inherently wrong with improv film or tv. There’s not even anything wrong with screening jokes. Tons of scripted movies need screenings to figure out what works and doesn’t work too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The problem with most improvised jokes in filmed media is that they're hollow, essentially just fun time-wasters. By their nature they don't connect to anything else, but exist in their own ephemeral vacuum affecting nothing else around them. Because these scenes are generally crafted in editing choosing amongst many many takes, there's no build-up to a joke, no heightening, no callbacks. You can't film any sequences that play off of it. It's just a funny thing someone says in character to kill a bit of time before the story moves on. Because they don't know if any given joke will make the final edit they can't film other material that connects to it. That doesn't mean they're inherently bad, it just means that if your entire piece is built off of them then you'll end up with something that feels inessential because the jokes aren't actually connected to the narrative in any larger sense and your film or show is at conflict with itself. But in half-hour sitcoms that's easier to swallow than in a narrative feature, since jokes can be far more throwaway.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 10, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Imo Apatows movies generally work because he has a strong story framework to start with, then lets performers improvise within scenes. Yeah if you come to set with literally nothing and just let the actors riff that would probably be bad but I don’t think anyone in mainstream entertainment except maybe Larry David does things entirely improvised. Anyway, they’re comedies, they’re supposed to be funny, and sometimes you get funnier jokes through improv than behind a keyboard.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

I mean I don't know but shows like New Girl used improv extensively and they're funny but shows like the Mindy Project has excellent writing because Mindy Kaling is just a really consistently funny writer (and one who writes actual jokes rather than just put people in embarrassing situations) so maybe it's easier to find improv people than really talented comedy writing? Just a guess, not a writer and don't work in production.

One thing I've discovered (although kinda knew) from listening to the office girls podcast is that The Office had an insane amount of writing talent. I mean there was some improv here and there because that's the name of the game but so much of the genius jokes that seem like improv are indeed very written.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

What's the difference between a comedy movie and a comedy TV show, in this regard.

One factor is that the TV writers usually know which actors are going to be playing the main roles and their usual form of delivery, plus they usually have a pretty clear idea of how the show is usually directed and how it flows. Movie scriptwriters often have no idea who'll be starring in the film, or who the director will be, or the DOP. Compare how TV pilots are often a bit poo poo and flat compared to the televised episodes, where they've had a chance to work out a lot of the writing kinks as well as a bunch of other issues.

Also it's way more common for TV scripts to come out of writing rooms where they can bounce ideas off each other and sharpen material as they go whereas films tend to be written by some person alone in a room.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkVr0VUSTA

I mean, it looks charming. But it also looks overdramatic and schmaltzy. Definitely getting some Funny People vibes.

I thought you wrote Funny Games and I got very confused watching the trailer.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdX7M1enNlU

Relevant to the discussion at hand

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tm63y-S4s
Looks cool even though I'm bummed they are depicting John Brown as a crazy man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's with the talk of not knowing whose side God is on (hint: NOT THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO KEEP HAVING SLAVES) and having a black character talking about what a cuckoo john brown is
I dont mind him being intense and fire & brimstone (and like every post in the trailer thread this is a premature take) but cmon, is it too much for the material to seem like it has respect for the guy?

This doesn't really jibe:
"His zeal in the cause of freedom was infinitely superior to mine. Mine was as the taper light, his was as the burning sun. Mine was bounded by time. His stretched away to the silent shores of eternity. I could speak for the slave. John Brown could fight for the slave. I could live for the slave. John Brown could die for the slave."
Frederick Douglass, as quoted in A Lecture On John Brown.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Now I might be from Kansas but this seems like it might stray into familiar territory of villainizing the anti-slavery movement like The Outlaw Josey Wales did but I might be clouded being a Jayhawker.

The Missouri trash were killing people trying to turn Kansas into a slave state and John Brown, who was certainly a crazy man, actually did something about it.

Have one of these if you ever make it to Lawrence.

don't @ me, MU fans

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In the words of Victor Hugo, "[T]here is something more frightening than Cain killing Abel, and that is Washington killing Spartacus."

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What's with the talk of not knowing whose side God is on (hint: NOT THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO KEEP HAVING SLAVES) and having a black character talking about what a cuckoo john brown is
I dont mind him being intense and fire & brimstone (and like every post in the trailer thread this is a premature take) but cmon, is it too much for the material to seem like it has respect for the guy?

This doesn't really jibe:
"His zeal in the cause of freedom was infinitely superior to mine. Mine was as the taper light, his was as the burning sun. Mine was bounded by time. His stretched away to the silent shores of eternity. I could speak for the slave. John Brown could fight for the slave. I could live for the slave. John Brown could die for the slave."
Frederick Douglass, as quoted in A Lecture On John Brown.

I'm not loving the voice over in the trailer, but Douglas being pretty ambivalent towards Brown (and black slaves being skeptical of him in general) is pretty true to life. Brown was one of those people who was a lot easier to get along with after he had been executed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kiimo posted:

Now I might be from Kansas but this seems like it might stray into familiar territory of villainizing the anti-slavery movement like The Outlaw Josey Wales did but I might be clouded being a Jayhawker.

The Missouri trash were killing people trying to turn Kansas into a slave state and John Brown, who was certainly a crazy man, actually did something about it.

don't @ me, MU fans

I want that shirt.

Groovelord Neato posted:

In the words of Victor Hugo, "[T]here is something more frightening than Cain killing Abel, and that is Washington killing Spartacus."

Great quote.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kiimo posted:

don't @ me, MU fans

The whole notion that brown was “crazy” doesn’t crop up historiographically for a full generation after his death. His contemporaries don’t seem to have considered him unstable, it’s only later when racist ideologues hijacked American history departments that this kind of slander started to be taught as fact

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

After all, a white man fighting for abolition would have to be insane, wouldn't he?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Civil War has to be the one time the losers got to write the history.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 17, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not really, it's just a really blatant example.

History is constantly being written by everyone.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Southern ruling class won the war in 1877.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Didn't really help that the winners were also pretty racist

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
new Spike Lee joint for Netflix. Looks good! Helluva cast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RDTPfsLAI

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That feels like a potential companion film to that recent Linklater film. Hopefully better though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Antebellum continues to look rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNEkDvIpsw

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Add THE OLD GUARD to the pile with EXTRACTION, 6 UNDERGROUND, and SPENCER CONFIDENTIAL in the lexicon of Netflix action movies that look like a real movie, act like a real movie, but don't really feel like a real movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK-X2d0lJ_s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Extraction owned though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's a movie where you get to see Chris Hemsworth beat a dude up using another dude as a weapon River City Ransom style, it earns its right to exist on that alone