Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Starting out, should I use any of the pre-included mods? I’m willing to use even the sillier ones if they make for better gameplay.

Not really necessary, but here are the ones I use:

No Rail Stations - Does what it says. Eventually rail stations will be connected to each other, but for now they don't offer anything but vending machines. They spawn everywhere and take up valuable real estate.
No Fungal Monsters - The fungus is a cool concept, but in practice it just kills performance and ruins half the map. Keep it on if you have any interest in becoming the fungus.
Disable NPC Needs - Use this if you have any intention of recruiting NPCs to tend to your base.
Aftershock - Adds a bunch of sci-fi content, much of it culled from the base game. Not too intrusive, but it does have some problems.

Classes and Scenarios Mod - Adds a bunch of new professions, and rebalances some of the old ones. This is included with the game but flagged as obsolete. To use it, find it in your mod folder and change the flag 'obsolete' to false in the modinfo.json

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The other issue with the fungus is that interacting with it is a quick way to get semi-permanently crippled with fungal debuffs unless you have an NBC suit or a barrel full of antifungal pills.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, and don't ignore anti-fungal drugs even with the fungus disabled. Flaming eyes can and will give you a fungal infection just by looking at you.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Aftershock has an odd interaction with fungus in that the 3 times i found a fungal tower with it on it it spawned surrounded by Tripod robots equipped with flamethrowers that merrily burned the whole thing down. Which I mean is nice but I found a mininuke in a bunker and I never know what else to do with those.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The M249 uses the same ammo as the M4A1, can even use the same magazines, and seems to do slightly more damage and be faster to aim - is there any reason to take the M4A1 instead of the M249?

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

The M249 is about 50% slower to aim? And weighs more than 2x as much.

e: meant to say, the m4a1 is nearly 50% faster to aim.

m249 on the right, same magazine

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 10, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Argh, I misread that, I wasn't sure if high was good or bad. Maybe I'll take the M4A1 for now, I'm kind of struggling to carry everything anyway.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Gun stats are mystifying for quite a while.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh hey I became a marshal now doing the old guard quests and now I can break into stuff and not worry about eyebots or policebots.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Leal posted:

Oh hey I became a marshal now doing the old guard quests and now I can break into stuff and not worry about eyebots or policebots.

I think you could do that by stealing any old deputy badge couldn't you?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The world mod for classic zombies in the stable release says that it removes certain buildings and map features but I can't really find a solid documentation about what it actually removes from the game. Can anyone educate me about that?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

The M249 uses the same ammo as the M4A1, can even use the same magazines, and seems to do slightly more damage and be faster to aim - is there any reason to take the M4A1 instead of the M249?

M4 will fit in a Survivor Harness.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

The world mod for classic zombies in the stable release says that it removes certain buildings and map features but I can't really find a solid documentation about what it actually removes from the game. Can anyone educate me about that?

Glancing at it, it just appears to prevent portals from spawning. And prevents robots from responding to alarms. And no spiders or wasps.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Finally had a game going that was lasting for more than the first 24 hours, over a week in, had a decent early game bit of armor and a couple of baseball bats as well as Krav Maga. Tons of food and water back home. Was out scouting for somewhere to make into a longer-term base. Got into a big fight. I was doing just fine, minor damage taken, lots dished out, dead zeds everywhere.

Ran out of stamina.

loving wrecked :negative:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Stamina definitely needs another pass. Maybe have it so you can run down a street block without panting and heaving, and also don't have stat penalties that last like half an hour that cripples your stats. How can my survivor need to eat like 5k calories without becoming anorexic yet has the physical aptitude of me irl I'll forever be confused about.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm still kind of bewildered that all this proper dieting and vitamin intake and taking a lung out of every survivor crap happened without anyone letting you use all that gym equipment out there to like... exercise. Get fit. Run a drat block and not be a gasping heap.

But I suppose such things are the exclusive preview of interdimensional goo drugs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The devs tried to use gym equipment once and it nearly killed them, hence no mortal can possibly use it.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Am I able to install Aftershock or other mods and continue using my existing save? Or do I have to start over?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Palcontent posted:

Glancing at it, it just appears to prevent portals from spawning. And prevents robots from responding to alarms. And no spiders or wasps.
Thanks for taking a glance. Can you tell me how I can investigate the file for the mod myself? Like I have the impression that it does remove much more than just that. For instance I have visited two toxic dumps and neither had a military ID so maybe labs are gone too? Also I've never met a robotic enemy so far(close to the end of first summer by now) and also haven't found any military instalations or roadblocks. The map seems very empty except for towns, farms and random cabins/barns in the woods. I'm just feeling like I'm possibly wasting my time with the game I got going because of the missing content

E: Found out how to open the the file with the exclusions and it does appear like you are right. My game still feels weirdly empty compared to what I've seen from players on youtube

Leal posted:

Stamina definitely needs another pass.
Yeah! Especially the relation between spending and recovering stamina is atrocious. And some tasks like butchering are wildly stamina intensive for some reason. Butchering a drat snake eats like two bars

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 10, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For kicks I'm trying a naked and afraid wilderness game rural mapgen mod with 0 city size spacing 8. I'm not doing too terribly after 2-3 days, but I'm still basically naked except for some sandals, a straw hat, and a basket backpack. Got a travois though, so thats nice. Getting frustrated trying to hunt creatures large enough to produce useful skins though. Everything just runs away before I can get into reliable weapon range (staff sling) and long range shots against small targets are hard. I tried making an atlatl and some stone javelins because it had 30 range, but apparently those javelins break after a single throw from an atlatl and given each one required a rag which was hilariously labor intensive to produce from cattail stalk fibers, that is not practical given my poo poo accuracy.

Unfortunately the only bows and crossbows I can manufacture are equally shitttastic things with basically useless range for hunting.

Kaewan posted:

Am I able to install Aftershock or other mods and continue using my existing save? Or do I have to start over?

You can probably edit your save file to put them in, but new content won't show up in map areas already generated and you might cause save file instability/corruption. I've added mods mid-game before but they've always been small things.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 10, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah I was just bitching about my own stupidity in getting wrecked by running out of breath, but stamina does need another pass, and some way to change your stamina capacity and suchlike. At game start a total goon should be less fit than someone in the military, as a rule, but either way after you've been surviving in the apocalypse for weeks and months you'd more or less have to live in a specific and deliberate way (Or have various illnesses) to not have your stamina increase significantly.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I was just bitching about my own stupidity in getting wrecked by running out of breath, but stamina does need another pass, and some way to change your stamina capacity and suchlike. At game start a total goon should be less fit than someone in the military, as a rule, but either way after you've been surviving in the apocalypse for weeks and months you'd more or less have to live in a specific and deliberate way (Or have various illnesses) to not have your stamina increase significantly.

I mean as far as the game as it stands now is concerned, trained military personal and well prepared survivalists have markedly less basic physical and mental acumen and probably more health issues then say... a party clown.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sorry in advance if my digging into the specifics of the classic zombie mod is tedious but I'm still looking for better understanding of what it does to the game

The file starts with this line

"type": "region_overlay",
"regions": [ "all" ],
"overmap_feature_flag_settings": { "whitelist": [ "CLASSIC" ] }

Does this mean that the map is only able to generate features that have the "classic" tag attached to them?

E: Did a quick test. Tried to make a labstart with a world that has classic zombies enabled and the game failed to create the starting location. So to me this means that the mod indeed disables labs and probably a lot more of the interesting locations

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 10, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Caidin posted:

I mean as far as the game as it stands now is concerned, trained military personal and well prepared survivalists have markedly less basic physical and mental acumen and probably more health issues then say... a party clown.

They should really just not try to "balance" starts. It should just be like Angband races where some starts are just easier than others and it's a form of player-selected difficulty. As you say, the elite bodyguard's "advantage" of starting with the some decent gear, evaporates the instant the clown stumbles upon a crashed helicopter, while all the extra starting points the clown didn't waste on gear gets spent on permanent stats and traits.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Sorry in advance if my digging into the specifics of the classic zombie mod is tedious but I'm still looking for better understanding of what it does to the game

The file starts with this line

"type": "region_overlay",
"regions": [ "all" ],
"overmap_feature_flag_settings": { "whitelist": [ "CLASSIC" ] }

Does this mean that the map is only able to generate features that have the "classic" tag attached to them?

E: Did a quick test. Tried to make a labstart with a world that has classic zombies enabled and the game failed to create the starting location. So to me this means that the mod indeed disables labs and probably a lot more of the interesting locations

The file containing the flags is /data/json/overmap/overmap_special/specials.json

There's quite a lot of locations, but you should be able to search for anything in particular to see if it has a 'Classic' flag. Looks like lab and military locations are out, as well as quite a few wilderness/blob specials.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks a bunch for pointing me towards that!

Pretty much confirms what I've been suspecting so far. Kind of a bummer but that's what you get with a sandbox game where lots of people have different ways that they want it to be. I'm just gonna go and start a new game with exclusion mods for the critters I don't want to be in the game and hope that it doesn't break anything important :v:

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
This is pretty fun. I'm onto my fourth and longest lived character, though that may only be because I've had to lay low for awhile since I broke both my legs. Puttering around my shelter-base, reading and crafting. I managed to snag two NPCs to hang out with me while I heal so hopefully by the time my legs are fixed, I'll have crafted up some weapons and armor to make us a force to be reckoned with.

Does anyone know what's up with Cacodemons? I think they're from PK's Rebalancing mod. I've lost two characters now to just driving by labs in a baby's first scav-car and having a Cacodemon just pop into the passenger seat and start eating me/shooting lighting balls at me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
PK's mod seems to have terrible balancing due to most of the enemies having hitscan or similar weapons, many that cause large explosions. It's good proof of concept for why the vast majority of monsters are melee only.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Started a new world with the national guard+missed character I had before.

Went into the cellar of my starter house to equip my gear and ran straight back up because a sewer snake came for me. My NPC killed it and I went back down to equip and also got lucky with an ice axe. Then I carefully snuck around the house to close some curtains but of course that was futile as zombies homed straight for the house. They crashed through the window and my NPC opened fire and shot me in the chest on their first try. I cursed and just ran out of the back leaving them to their fate for being poo poo. Got spotted by zombies right away and bolted for the adjacent house. Backdoor was locked but a window near it was open. Got through the window and closed it behind me to buy some time and kept going. Peeked the front door and saw a mostly clean street with an electric car sitting right in the middle. I hovered my cursor over it in excitement and found out that it was roughed up but in working order. Made a dash into the car before the feral runners could get me, closed the door and started it on the first try. Got in reverse to take nearest street out of the city and while turning at the intersection I managed to crash into a building. Also a zombie jumped in through the open passenger door. I managed to beat them to death with the axe, lost the passenger seat+floor beneath it, and drove out of the city before more zombies got into the car. Holy poo poo :v:

My instinct tells me to drive west along the edge of town to get on the road network and hunt for a farm/cabin. The north is unknown but seeing how there is some forest visible I would expect there to be more in that direction

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 11, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just stumbled across somewhere apparently pretty hot so couple of quick questions:

A) How is Prussian Blue best used? Do I want to just down all the pills I have at once or am I better off spacing it out?

B) Where the gently caress did I leave my geiger counter?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

1-3 pills, then wait for the status effect to go away, then take more.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

If you find the geiger counter don't expect the monitoring setting to warn you about radiation or anything. Found that out the hard way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Palcontent posted:

If you find the geiger counter don't expect the monitoring setting to warn you about radiation or anything. Found that out the hard way.

Well that seems... useless :thunkher:

The Lone Badger posted:

1-3 pills, then wait for the status effect to go away, then take more.

Thanks! I probably can't get rid of this before it kills me but I'll ganbatte!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just drink some vodka, you'll be fine.

Just might have a few changes in the morning.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay after an INTENSE couple of days I seem to have just barely survived, going to take a long time to recover from this but that will teach me to go digging in craters :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Watch yourself around vehicles too - Atomic SUVs and other nuclear powered vehicles are frequently sources of radiation as their damaged reactors leak plutonium. if you find an atomic vehicle, hit "V" and see if "plutonium slurry" appears and if so, steer waaaaay the gently caress away from it.

IIRC radiation from slurry doesn't extend super far so it's not a huge deal as long as you don't spend hours near the source such as trying to dismantle the vehicle.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Ms Adequate posted:

Okay after an INTENSE couple of days I seem to have just barely survived, going to take a long time to recover from this but that will teach me to go digging in craters :v:

Well, that's something I've wondered for a while, but never got round to trying. I guess I can learn from your mistakes instead ;)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

After looking through mod files for this game I have come to an idea. Can I just make a single exclusion mod for all the mobs I want to remove? Like can I just copy the json file from one of the existing mods and add all the monster ids I want gone to it?

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

After looking through mod files for this game I have come to an idea. Can I just make a single exclusion mod for all the mobs I want to remove? Like can I just copy the json file from one of the existing mods and add all the monster ids I want gone to it?

Yeah!

PiCroft posted:

Watch yourself around vehicles too - Atomic SUVs and other nuclear powered vehicles are frequently sources of radiation as their damaged reactors leak plutonium. if you find an atomic vehicle, hit "V" and see if "plutonium slurry" appears and if so, steer waaaaay the gently caress away from it.

IIRC radiation from slurry doesn't extend super far so it's not a huge deal as long as you don't spend hours near the source such as trying to dismantle the vehicle.

This might be a change in the experimentals, but I got a (lethal) dose of 1300msv by stepping through the tile with plutonium slurry on it. Didn't notice until the next day IRL, by which point I had forgotten about the slurry and spent a long time trying to figure out why I was dying in my sleep before thinking to debug spawn in a radiation detector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wolfechu posted:

Well, that's something I've wondered for a while, but never got round to trying. I guess I can learn from your mistakes instead ;)

Glad to be a hideous mutant with gills and phelloderm of help :v: