Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stream is up now https://www.twitch.tv/naddpod

the chat is definitely a twitch chat

e: it is apparently 3.5 hours long so uh plan your night accordingly. i may just wait for the podcast actually

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m not sure I’m emotionally in a place to listen to the last of this ha, it has been such a weekly staple

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I like the cast repeatedly promising us that they're going to go back to being very, very stupid when they get new low level characters lol

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

An insane play by Emily right off the bat

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
holy gently caress emily

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thiala: "You've brought a small army"
Bev: "It's more of a big circus"

e: oh my god jake's first round

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 10, 2020

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY SEVEN DAMAGE

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Farg posted:

TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY SEVEN DAMAGE

AND THEN 285 DAMAGE NEXT ROUND

murph: "she's upset, i'm upset"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

AND THEN 285 DAMAGE NEXT ROUND

murph: "she's upset, i'm upset"

i'm going to kill you

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Jesus gently caress lmao Emily

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Alonis and Balnor...

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
pretty good show

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

walls up

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so thats the first time a podcast made me actually cry in real life

ZorpZuppins
Nov 8, 2012
that was so good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I told myself I was just gonna tune in for the intro and wait until later for the podcast but, well, here we are

love that ending for balnor. He only existed by pure chance and then he gets to put the emotional bow on the whole drat season. So glad he didn't die

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm glad I watched that live. The various glitches were annoying, but whatever, it happens. It was fun to chant ONE BIG CHAT with 10,000 other people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think i'm a little too old to follow a chat of that size but I am glad to see that they were able to get such a huge following, they deserve it. I hope the core four never has to get a day job for the rest of their lives if they don't want to.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Rest your head one big bed....

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Episode 100 ruled, Balnor's Letter ruled, and I can't fuckin' wait for campaign two.

They've really not given out any hints at all what's coming, have they?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I hope someone tallies up how much damage Jake did

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve never played level 20 d&d but are fighters supposed to be that strong? I was under the impression people disliked them compared to magic classes but that was ridiculous.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

(That was ridiculous)

Fighters are disliked because they are pretty much the one thing, so there’s not a ton of variation for them in combat. The flip side is they do the one thing really, really well.

They don’t normally get reckless attack though, that was a huge bonus

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the most amazing thing about this campaign is that Balnor was just a joke character pulled from the deck of many things

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The most amazing thing about that letter was Murph reading "whenever you see a shooting star, I'll be there, because it might be one of my shits floating through space". Which was both hilarious, and touching despite how dumb it is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You gotta keep it light

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

tsob posted:

The most amazing thing about that letter was Murph reading "whenever you see a shooting star, I'll be there, because it might be one of my shits floating through space". Which was both hilarious, and touching despite how dumb it is.

It's a perfect encapsulation of the show. Making the absurd touching. Completely blows The Adventure Zone out of the water, quite frankly.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
They stuck the landing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Has anyone totalled up Hardwon's damage yet and/or checked what it is as a percentage of Thaila's hitpoints? Or checked how many crits he got in the space of what...4 rounds? 5? Because that was just...wow. Everyone's incredulity at the damage he was outputting was great. As was the fact Moonshine's entire plan basically boiled down to "prop Hardwon up so he can keep pouring out damage, then make sure Thiala can't heal any of it". The fact she engineered the second part using a cantrip was wild, even to a non-D'n'D player like me. Murph's response to Jake's second round just being "Thiala is upset. I'm upset. I hate you" was great too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

Has anyone totalled up Hardwon's damage yet and/or checked what it is as a percentage of Thaila's hitpoints? Or checked how many crits he got in the space of what...4 rounds? 5? Because that was just...wow. Everyone's incredulity at the damage he was outputting was great. As was the fact Moonshine's entire plan basically boiled down to "prop Hardwon up so he can keep pouring out damage, then make sure Thiala can't heal any of it". The fact she engineered the second part using a cantrip was wild, even to a non-D'n'D player like me. Murph's response to Jake's second round just being "Thiala is upset. I'm upset. I hate you" was great too.

As crazy as Hardwon's damage was, I feel like they would have had a hard time without it, wouldn't they? Even with the crit blender in full force, a lot of the party spent a lot of time being down; there was even a point where it was just Bev still standing, I think. I wonder how the fight would have gone if he hadn't had such insane luck with the dice. Although Emily did say she built her strategy around letting Hardwon do his thing; she's obviously extremely good at D&D and might have come up with a different plan if they didn't a player capable of doing Rian Murphy levels of damage on hand.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's a perfect encapsulation of the show. Making the absurd touching. Completely blows The Adventure Zone out of the water, quite frankly.

Yeah this show took everything I liked about season 1 of TAZ and just sort of...did it better. I hope that doesn't come off as accusing it of being derivative, it's just more of a compliment of them nailing the vibe.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 11, 2020

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I vastly prefer NADDPOD to TAZ, which I got bored with like 20-something episodes in. I tried to push through it, but it wasn't for me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I liked TAZ 1 but it did get long in the tooth by the end. Agreed NADDPOD just does the goofy but heartfelt vibe better. Plus, is better at helping players/DMs learn the game and ways to spice things up.

I’ve nowhere near the arc writing ability of Murph, but I think this podcast is a big part of why I can generally eyeball a massive fight and have it be achievable but taxing/dangerous as hell for my players without having to fudge dice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

the most amazing thing about this campaign is that Balnor was just a joke character pulled from the deck of many things

I can't stop thinking about that yeah. The odds of him even existing are super low, and because of the nature of how he came to be, murph couldn't possibly have been prepared to come up with a personality for him in advance of the episode, he just pulled out a goofy dad persona on the spot. And then from that he goes on to become one of the most beloved characters on the show.

I bet murph pulled some punches to give him at least a little bit of plot armor at some point; i feel like I remember them saying around the time he was born that because he's just some slightly underleveled fighter, the odds of him surviving for very long weren't good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

As crazy as Hardwon's damage was, I feel like they would have had a hard time without it, wouldn't they?

yeah i think murph did what any good storyteller would do and immediately gave her a bunch more hit points lol

one Murph Thing i've grown to really like is him having Big Bads use mental attacks on characters that flash to pre-planned narrative flashback bits, i think we've gotten it a handful of times now and it's such a great way to add in roleplaying and character development in mid-combat, in addition to really breaking up some of the monotony of fighting

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

yeah i think murph did what any good storyteller would do and immediately gave her a bunch more hit points lol

That spicy little rat

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I bet murph pulled some punches to give him at least a little bit of plot armor at some point; i feel like I remember them saying around the time he was born that because he's just some slightly underleveled fighter, the odds of him surviving for very long weren't good.

I'm sure part of it is also him beating up himself seems silly. Gotta beat up the players! Oh and that one time he completely forgot to include Balnor.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

#wherewasbalnor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in the short rest Murph confirms Thiala had another 9th level spell that would've been a complete heal of 700+ that Emily blocked with that repeated cantrip lmao

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
That was extremely good, sad it’s over was a hell of a story, and all I can say is, that was ridiculous(ly great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Today's Hearthside Chat:

JAKE: Where do they keep a lot of horses?

CALDWELL: Like a stable?

JAKE: But beyond that.

MURPH: A barn?

JAKE: Bigger, man.

MURPH: A ranch?!

CALDWELL: Ohhh...a horse hotel?

EMILY: A horseport

JAKE: A horseport. Thank you Emily.