Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

goferchan posted:

If I own Civ VI and Gathering Storm, the only thing Rise & Fall adds are the leaders and civs that come with it, right? Because looking over the expansion feature bulletpoints like Governors and Loyalty and Dark Ages and poo poo those seem to all be in the game already . If that's true, that's a pretty solid DLC model, and probably easier on the devs too not having to make sure a bunch of mechanics are balanced retroactively independent from each other

It comes with Scotland and Scotland's music alone is worth the price of admission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhBd0xlFGY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hydroneer came out yesterday. It is a game about digging up all the gold and jewels and selling them so you can have all the money.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGr4BZrbJQ
3 minute tutorial from the dev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSN1cIRSkk

You start with a bucket and a shovel and a pan and you basically dig for gold in the dirt. You have no inventory so you have to carry everything around in your hands and when you go to sell stuff you have to stick it all in a bucket because you have no pockets and then it gives you an actual physical coin that you also have to carry around in your filthy bucket.

You can eventually graduate to building a full blown hydro-powered automatic mining operation that spits your gems and ore out onto a conveyor belt to take it to your autosorters. And build and furnish a nice house for yourself.

There's no enemies or hunger or anything, so it's a nice relaxing gently caress around at your own pace game. Except it's kind of physics based and in the Unity engine so sometimes you will like, accidentally kick one of your buckets into another bucket and the physics flip out and your bucket goes shooting off to god knows where and that was the one WITH ALL MY JEWELS IN IT.

It's made by one guy as far as I can tell and it's normally $9.99, but right now it is $7.99 on launch sale and it seems like a pretty good deal at that price if you like this kind of thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not really familiar with either game, but it looks a lot like Gold Rush at least in terms of core features and goals.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

K8.0 posted:

Not really familiar with either game, but it looks a lot like Gold Rush at least in terms of core features and goals.

I've played Gold Rush, it's a lot more realistic and about buying and setting up actual real life mining rigs. It's closer to something like Farming Simulator.

They both kind of start in the same place with basic gold panning, but Gold Rush's endgame is more like having a big rig excavator and dumptruck and this is more like having a water-piped conveyor belt factory (from what I've seen so far).

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Hydroneer came out yesterday. It is a game about digging up all the gold and jewels and selling them so you can have all the money.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGr4BZrbJQ
3 minute tutorial from the dev: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSN1cIRSkk

You start with a bucket and a shovel and a pan and you basically dig for gold in the dirt. You have no inventory so you have to carry everything around in your hands and when you go to sell stuff you have to stick it all in a bucket because you have no pockets and then it gives you an actual physical coin that you also have to carry around in your filthy bucket.

You can eventually graduate to building a full blown hydro-powered automatic mining operation that spits your gems and ore out onto a conveyor belt to take it to your autosorters. And build and furnish a nice house for yourself.

There's no enemies or hunger or anything, so it's a nice relaxing gently caress around at your own pace game. Except it's kind of physics based and in the Unity engine so sometimes you will like, accidentally kick one of your buckets into another bucket and the physics flip out and your bucket goes shooting off to god knows where and that was the one WITH ALL MY JEWELS IN IT.

It's made by one guy as far as I can tell and it's normally $9.99, but right now it is $7.99 on launch sale and it seems like a pretty good deal at that price if you like this kind of thing.

I am intrigued, tell me more

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ShootaBoy posted:

I am intrigued, tell me more

I do not have more to tell you, since I've only played like 2 hours. I've just now bought a furnace and crucible and anvil so I can make my stuff into jewelry. But if you search it on youtube, it looks like people have built some pretty cool little gold factories.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 10, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I've been playing Generation Zero after its sale week and while I get what it wants me to do I don't think Generation Zero understands how it wants people to do it, if that makes sense? It wants to be Red Dawn but Sweden and robots. But guerrilla warfare video games for me rely on 3 major elements - big alpha strikes, stealth, and decent loot (or at least some good reason to ambush stuff). As soon as you get out of the more tutorial-ish area all 3 of these elements really loses steam. Your alpha strike ability is immediately neutered because you start facing big groups of the game's hardest enemies and you have nothing that can even take out a single one instantly. The stealth immediately becomes almost useless because while its already pretty basic line-of-sight/sprint noise stuff scouting robots start appearing everywhere and they can see you through walls if you get close enough. Assuming you do kill or sneak successfully then you get to find out the loot is mostly just ammo, medkits, and crafting materials but 1) you already have thousands of rounds, 2) if you're using medkits that means you're in combat which means you probably need to run away or die, 3) crafting materials are pretty useless since they're spent on clothing but the only clothing worth crafting is the stuff that gives you defense bonuses and the bonuses are like 1-3% (if they get bigger later on okay but right now they're pointless). You occasionally find a weapon or weapon part which you will break down into more crafting materials because you already found 5 of the same thing.

The game does want you to fight the harder robots by disabling various components on them but you only find out about these components by 1) shooting areas at random and trying to figure out what it did, which is a tall order at the best of times because if you're fighting one robot you're probably fighting 4, or 2) finding their schematics and looking at them through some tech-binoculars except these schematics are incredibly rare and hard to find collectibles in some random area in a gigantic chain of islands.

I guess I lied earlier because you do have a way to take out the harder robots reliably. Since there's no penalty at all to being killed the most effective strategy to fight the harder robots is to run up to them, plant some explosive barrels at your feet, and then blow yourself up with the robot. That loses its appeal quickly.

There's co-op so maybe things work better with more people but it still feels very directionless, and not in the Minecraft way.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I always get a bit sad when I see in games an absolute stellar premise wasted on sub-standard execution. We will never ever see another game set in 80s Sweden taken over by mechs. That was our one chance, and by the sound of things we blew it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mrs Boat and I tried out Moon Hunters last night after getting it in a humble bundle ages ago. It's a top down action RPG reminiscent of Gauntlet, but with procedurally generated story beats woven throughout. You'll frequently be presented with an either / or option such as whether to kill or nurture an animal with a portentous birthmark. These questions don't seem to have "right" or "wrong" answers but instead give you different stat increases or qualities such as Brave, Patient or Foolish that can gate different interactions in towns and some of the longer term upgrades that persist across playthroughs.

Unfortunately while we really liked the world and story, the gameplay in action stages was pretty dull and repetitive. Each "game" is three action stages followed by a boss after which your characters are retired and their adventures become part of the world's mythology. The idea of repeating that over and over didn't appeal, so unless it really starts to open up as more of the long term upgrades unlock we might not be playing much more of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you're picking up Hydroneer be very very careful of how you stack items in your truck.

https://i.imgur.com/PgKKddr.mp4

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I am just getting my poo poo absolutely pushed in in Immortal Defense, and I think I must be missing something. It's the first mission of the second campaign, The Brothers Bavakh. I'm starting with almost 0 monies, so I'm wondering if I need to keep doing the preceding 'infinite' level until I get a good results, as I think that influences my money on the next mission?

Edit: Ooh I may not have unlocked new potential medals and tried to apply their effects, I bet that's what's holding me back!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 10, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

I am just getting my poo poo absolutely pushed in in Immortal Defense, and I think I must be missing something. It's the first mission of the second campaign, The Brothers Bavakh. I'm starting with almost 0 monies, so I'm wondering if I need to keep doing the preceding 'infinite' level until I get a good results, as I think that influences my money on the next mission?

Edit: Ooh I may not have unlocked new potential medals and tried to apply their effects, I bet that's what's holding me back!

Are you putting Courage Points on the ends of the long straightaways, and using your level 2 charge shot on the big fat Squalid Pluses?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Ghostlight posted:

If you're picking up Hydroneer be very very careful of how you stack items in your truck.

https://i.imgur.com/PgKKddr.mp4

If this game glitches out as much as X360 game series Skate does then i'm getting this poo poo asap. :allears:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Are you putting Courage Points on the ends of the long straightaways, and using your level 2 charge shot on the big fat Squalid Pluses?

Definitely doing the first, but trying to earn the Courage Point badge is showing me I def have a lot of work regarding the place of CPs, ha! How do I know it's a level 2 charge up shot? I usually right click, wait 2-3 seconds, then right click again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Johnny Truant posted:

I was on the same boat until I did the endless mission for a while hoping for some extra cache but got two medals instead, one for killing 500 Bavakh in one level(+100 Cache for every kill) and another killing 200 Squalids in one level(Squalids no longer heal themselves)

After that it went swimmingly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

So I've been playing Generation Zero after its sale week and while I get what it wants me to do I don't think Generation Zero understands how it wants people to do it, if that makes sense? It wants to be Red Dawn but Sweden and robots. But guerrilla warfare video games for me rely on 3 major elements - big alpha strikes, stealth, and decent loot (or at least some good reason to ambush stuff). As soon as you get out of the more tutorial-ish area all 3 of these elements really loses steam. Your alpha strike ability is immediately neutered because you start facing big groups of the game's hardest enemies and you have nothing that can even take out a single one instantly. The stealth immediately becomes almost useless because while its already pretty basic line-of-sight/sprint noise stuff scouting robots start appearing everywhere and they can see you through walls if you get close enough. Assuming you do kill or sneak successfully then you get to find out the loot is mostly just ammo, medkits, and crafting materials but 1) you already have thousands of rounds, 2) if you're using medkits that means you're in combat which means you probably need to run away or die, 3) crafting materials are pretty useless since they're spent on clothing but the only clothing worth crafting is the stuff that gives you defense bonuses and the bonuses are like 1-3% (if they get bigger later on okay but right now they're pointless). You occasionally find a weapon or weapon part which you will break down into more crafting materials because you already found 5 of the same thing.

The game does want you to fight the harder robots by disabling various components on them but you only find out about these components by 1) shooting areas at random and trying to figure out what it did, which is a tall order at the best of times because if you're fighting one robot you're probably fighting 4, or 2) finding their schematics and looking at them through some tech-binoculars except these schematics are incredibly rare and hard to find collectibles in some random area in a gigantic chain of islands.

I guess I lied earlier because you do have a way to take out the harder robots reliably. Since there's no penalty at all to being killed the most effective strategy to fight the harder robots is to run up to them, plant some explosive barrels at your feet, and then blow yourself up with the robot. That loses its appeal quickly.

There's co-op so maybe things work better with more people but it still feels very directionless, and not in the Minecraft way.

There was an article a bit back, RPS maybe? That talked with the devs about how the game had gone from its launch state of pretty much universal dislike to a pretty solid, if middling fanbase that it has now with constant updates and design changes. One of the big takeaways was that the game the devs designed was not the game players ended up playing. They had created a game where robot engagements were a critical failure in the gameplay loop or something done for a very specific reason. Everyone that played the game - outside of F&F and QA obviously, since they all knew the score - was there to shoot cool robots and do survival stuff second. Ultimately once you arrive at that kind of problem there's only so much you can do without a Generation Zero 2. Still, they've supported the game remarkably well and it has its fans now, even if I was very solidly not one of them after trying it, so kudos to them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I was on the same boat until I did the endless mission for a while hoping for some extra cache but got two medals instead, one for killing 500 Bavakh in one level(+100 Cache for every kill) and another killing 200 Squalids in one level(Squalids no longer heal themselves)

After that it went swimmingly.

Nice! Yeah I didn't even realize the medals had to be unlocked since the earlier and only time I looked at them I already had two unlocked, so I figured they just.. automatically did that. Nope! Just got one that makes my Fear Points fire 2x as faster, so I def need to check these fuckers out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

How do I know it's a level 2 charge up shot? I usually right click, wait 2-3 seconds, then right click again.

It'll make the charge-up noise a second time after two seconds or so.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

There was an article a bit back, RPS maybe? That talked with the devs about how the game had gone from its launch state of pretty much universal dislike to a pretty solid, if middling fanbase that it has now with constant updates and design changes. One of the big takeaways was that the game the devs designed was not the game players ended up playing. They had created a game where robot engagements were a critical failure in the gameplay loop or something done for a very specific reason. Everyone that played the game - outside of F&F and QA obviously, since they all knew the score - was there to shoot cool robots and do survival stuff second. Ultimately once you arrive at that kind of problem there's only so much you can do without a Generation Zero 2. Still, they've supported the game remarkably well and it has its fans now, even if I was very solidly not one of them after trying it, so kudos to them.

Despite my mention of alpha strikes I get that avoiding robots is priority 1 but that still leaves stealth and loot as the primary gameplay and those just aren’t developed as much as the could be.

For example, in addition to the basic line-of-sight mechanics and scouting robots I mentioned - also it’s a dice roll whether or not you’ll be able to kill even a small scouting robot in a single shot from far away, at least with the weapons I have - the player does have access to stuff that can lure robots away from where they are. But you can only place the lures where you are currently standing and they activate automatically after a few seconds so you are basically drawing robots toward yourself. Its a fairly simple matter to stay crouched and get just far enough away to avoid detection but this is a bizarre choice. As a mechanic to draw robots toward a trap of explosive barrels and EMP bombs you made so you can kill them it makes more sense but see issues with combat.

To put it way too snarkily it’s a game about shooting robots with finicky and unreliable shooting, a game about avoiding robots with finicky and unreliable stealth in exchange for uninteresting supplies, and a game about gathering uninteresting supplies to preferably not spend on shooting robots.

Also both your storage box and crafting material box has a weight limit so eventually even all that ammo and material I’m gathering becomes something I can’t pick up unless something drastically changes. I will have nowhere to put it and not enough to spend it on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there an end goal in the game?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there any mods for gen zero? Some of this sounds fixable with relatively minor tweaks the devs might just not be up for. I’d probably give it a try in coop either way since there are just not that many coop games, but it does really seem unfortunate how this ended up going.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

It'll make the charge-up noise a second time after two seconds or so.

Hmmm well I should probably listen to at least the sound effects while playing, then... :doh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The most frustrating thing about Far Cry 5 is that because of a glitch(?), on the map where Grace's icon and voice over is, it won't go away. It cleared for when I did the other similar missions, but because I triggered a kidnap sequence (I guess?) it won't clear properly. This is stupid and infuriating.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Kibayasu posted:

For example, in addition to the basic line-of-sight mechanics and scouting robots I mentioned - also it’s a dice roll whether or not you’ll be able to kill even a small scouting robot in a single shot from far away, at least with the weapons I have - the player does have access to stuff that can lure robots away from where they are. But you can only place the lures where you are currently standing and they activate automatically after a few seconds so you are basically drawing robots toward yourself. Its a fairly simple matter to stay crouched and get just far enough away to avoid detection but this is a bizarre choice. As a mechanic to draw robots toward a trap of explosive barrels and EMP bombs you made so you can kill them it makes more sense but see issues with combat.

You can huck flares and all the robots will turn and stare at them like they're the most interesting things in the world for a while. Like they'll straight up watch you throw it and then briefly forget where you are because the flare is very pretty.

Also the hunting rifle can one shot the dog shaped robot guys at range so long as you hit the gas tank on top of them. The bipedal guys with gun arms and missile launchers can be one shot if you absolutely drill them right in the face from pretty close up, but it's doable.

The inventory is very dumb, though. I mostly like walking around and robbing houses but they put way too many like full on reams of fabric around considering there's apparently two dozen things to craft with neglible benefits.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Are you supposed to ignore the robots? I’m only 3 hours in, and except for the huge bipedal robots, I kill anything I see.

I wish this game was more like 7 days to die. Or maybe, 7D2D was exactly like it is, except with robots and scrap looting mechanics.

Shoot off a tanks machine gun so you can strap it to a rebar post and use it as a fixed turret against a swarm of robots? Reprogram or rebuild one of the dog robots to follow you as a mobile inventory? Or maybe ride one?

Maybe eventually convert a Tank into your own mobile suit!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dalaram posted:

Are you supposed to ignore the robots? I’m only 3 hours in, and except for the huge bipedal robots, I kill anything I see.

I wish this game was more like 7 days to die. Or maybe, 7D2D was exactly like it is, except with robots and scrap looting mechanics.

Shoot off a tanks machine gun so you can strap it to a rebar post and use it as a fixed turret against a swarm of robots? Reprogram or rebuild one of the dog robots to follow you as a mobile inventory? Or maybe ride one?

Maybe eventually convert a Tank into your own mobile suit!

It's not really an issue to kill most things smaller than the tanks as long as you have enough health kits and don't get caught in the open but for me the main question eventually became "why" because of the loot issues. There is a skill in the tree that eventually lets you make robots fight each other for a bit so that could make things more interesting. I'm not hating the game yet but every time i see how big the map is I start to suspect if I've reached what the rest of the game actually is.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How long is Shadow of War's epilogue mode (Shadow wars)? I will probably skip it, but I'm curious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kennel posted:

How long is Shadow of War's epilogue mode (Shadow wars)? I will probably skip it, but I'm curious.
Far too long. It's basically just a twenty-stage grind mode for people who can't get enough of the most repetitive parts of the game. Well, ten stages and twenty sieges, but it comes out to the same. You really are better off not bothering.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

You could reasonably do it in fifteen or so hours if you just bumrushed minimum viable orc setups, it's mostly there for people who love Orkemon and just wanna keep playing the game with a slightly higher difficulty, if you're done with the gameplay at that point nothing really changes.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Far too long. It's basically just a twenty-stage grind mode for people who can't get enough of the most repetitive parts of the game. Well, ten stages and twenty sieges, but it comes out to the same. You really are better off not bothering.
Really? Because in JadeStar´s LP it was a simple matter of four sieges, so I guess you didn´t play the game after the big remake.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why didn't they call it shadow of wardor

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

why didn't they call it shadow of wardor

Presumably because the Tolkein estate objected to Shadow of Moredor.

Though one wonders how the story of War got past the Tolkein estate in the first place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Really? Because in JadeStar´s LP it was a simple matter of four sieges, so I guess you didn´t play the game after the big remake.
No, I only played Shadow Wars on release and decided that it wasn't worth finishing after looking up how many more sieges there were supposed to be. I decided to just look up the ending cutscene, but I guess four sieges isn't so bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Presumably because the Tolkein estate objected to Shadow of Moredor.

Though one wonders how the story of War got past the Tolkein estate in the first place.

It was printed on a series of increasingly large checks?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also never played shadow wars after they remade it. Did they do anything besides make it shorter, or is the only new story content just the cutscene at the end?

Assuming it's only shorter, your best bet is to gently caress around with it until you decide you don't like it anymore, and then go look up the ending on youtube, it's just a short cutscene. Worth watching, not worth playing the game for if you aren't enjoying it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

It's pretty close to Tolkien in theme, if not facts. Power leading to corruption, sin and repentance, all that jazz.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Kind of a shot in the dark, but since there's no active Thief thread to my knowledge, I'm asking here. I recently found out about The Dark Mod, a thief-like mod turned standalone free game.

It has a bunch of community missions to download, the install only comes with two. Does anybody know which ones come most recommended? There are some reviews on the official forum but I'd rather spend the time I have posting rather than reading reviews by people I may or may not agree with.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was printed on a series of increasingly large checks?

It's not actually that much of a stretch in canon.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 11, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sylphosaurus posted:

It was heavily shortened. It's 4 stages now, I think a total of 10-12 siege defenses? If you lose one that adds another siege offense to take back the fort. It is still very skippable if you feel done with the game, but it is not the endless slog it was before.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Kind of a shot in the dark, but since there's no active Thief thread to my knowledge, I'm asking here. I recently found out about The Dark Mod, a thief-like mod turned standalone free game.

It has a bunch of community missions to download, the install only comes with two. Does anybody know which ones come most recommended? There are some reviews on the official forum but I'd rather spend the time I have posting rather than reading reviews by people I may or may not agree with.

You could give that question a try in the Early FPS thread in the Retro Games sub-forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

It's not actually that much of a stretch in canon.

I mean at events and powers level yeah. On a tonal level...